AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 33 27.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 9.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-16, 02:11   Link #581
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
Yup Tak is right about that...and really...Alto shouldn't have to. It would be odd anyway since in Japanese culture, it's more "action" than words.

Unspoken communication is referred to as 心伝心 (ishin-denshin). In translation is basically means, a "Quiet Understanding." Even native Japanese "married couples would refrain from ever saying "I love you" to each other."

But it would definitely be a first....lol, maybe this is the "surprise" that Kawamori was referring to. J/K

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼
It would fit, with Sheryl thinking that Alto is only with her because of pity. At this point, I think sheŽd need something unmistakable.
Old 2008-09-16, 04:09   Link #582
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Well Alto does have in depth knowledge of how to act like a woman. Perhaps hime is getting in touch with his female side and pulling out the words as a present.
Old 2008-09-16, 08:13   Link #583
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Ep. 23 seems to be setting up for a heroic death for Sheryl, with the remote possibility of a hook up between Alto and Ranka (but the final Alto - Klan discussion, despite what had been said previously, isn't quite as damning as some would want it to be).

This being said, there is little to no chance that this is what will happen for the following reasons:

* Kawamori-san is a sadist, but a good series director. He wouldn't trounce his own best Macross TV series after the original Macross just for the sake of a WTF.

* You do -not- kill a character that you have made awesome through more hardships than Oliver Twist's been through, and with a carrot of hope constantly in front of her, at the last episode of the show. You just don't do it. And Alto and Ranka hooking up on top of that? Talk about spitting in the face of a large (to not say a majority) part of your fanbase for the sake of a last minute trick.

*If you are to kill an awesome character for the sake of the development of the story/main character, you do it mid show (cf Gurren Lagan or Roy Fokker).

*There is a big opportunity at a growing up lesson for Ranka (you do not always get what you want), a sacrifice on the altar of Drama (Brera, possibly Ozma too) and a kick ass fight involving not one but two idols (Ranka vs Sheryl) ending up in the transcendance of one (Ranka) and the cleansing of the other (Sheryl) to give way to a "happy ending" that would satisfy the majortiy of the fanbase, with Sheryl and Alto finally being open to each other during the final episode (which will see imo two equally kick ass dogfights between Ozma and Grace, and zombie-Brera and Alto). Alto finally realizing (I suspect that he just did) that life is about choices, and that like Ranka, you do not always get what you want in life (flying in a boundless sky, free of any constraints from life/social interactions), and what is important is your relation to the ones you love.

I do not see Kawamori-san missing this opportunity at making an amazing ending to an amazing TV series
Splendidly put my friend i agree with you wholeheartedly and this is what im hoping for in terms of the finally 2 episodes. Cookies for you.
Old 2008-09-16, 08:45   Link #584
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Yep! That's the advantage to not having a ship in the water... You get to be happy with which ever one comes into port first! After SDFM, I quickly learned to not put my money only on one to win... After M7, I learned not put my money on EITHER one to win!
I can understand why people are so worried about this, considering the two previous macross SERIES (not counting the OVA and movies). In SFDM the guy had a relationship with both girls and eventually had two choose one. M7 can't comment much because I have not watched it, just read about the girl leaving. In MF there is an ongoing full fledge relationship, now what the shippers are waiting is to see is if Alto has a change of heart and switch to Ranka or if he stay with Sheryl.
Old 2008-09-16, 09:19   Link #585
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

That's been my doubt since watching the episode, and it hasn't really been cleared for fear of bad subbing: Do Alto and Sheryl clearly acknowledge they're IN a relationship, when they are talking, while making dinner? Whatever it may be? This seems like an important enough point - and one that I haven't really seen much discussed, here.

Old 2008-09-16, 09:29   Link #586
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
That's been my doubt since watching the episode, and it hasn't really been cleared for fear of bad subbing: Do Alto and Sheryl clearly acknowledge they're IN a relationship, when they are talking, while making dinner? Whatever it may be? This seems like an important enough point - and one that I haven't really seen much discussed, here.
sheryl does and it seems that Alto too! Alto just want to keep it secret, the little thing they were talking while cooking was about sheryl waving at him while he was on patrol! It seems Alto doesn't want people to know about their relationship. the reason that people are not talking much about this is because it already a fact that they are together!
Old 2008-09-16, 09:57   Link #587
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

BetoJR, I'll try to clear all the confusion that scene caused for you. First of all, neither of them think that they are in a relationship. Alto is taking care of Sheryl, staying by her side as he promised earlier. He does all of this out of his kindness and compassion. I believe he hasn't even thought about this situation as a form of a relationship. I don't think he dares to think about it this way. He is fulfilling his promise and that's that.

As for Sheryl, she enjoys the situation as much as she can. Still, she understands that all of this, the dinner and the time together is mearly taking advantage of his kindness. She also states that this kindness is a sin. It makes you indulge in it without any consequences. I believe Sheryl, as strong as she is, doesn't want it to stay like this. This makes it for her all the more painful. She also believes that Alto doesn't really care for her in a romantic way. The scene at the rooftop and the way she overhears Alto's conversation with Klan confirms it. She only hears the last part of the scene, without the proper context.

As I stated in my other post, I don't believe Alto is ready to give Sheryl what she needs. On the other hand he only needs a small poke in the right direction.

I think those will help a little
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-09-16, 10:29   Link #588
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Sure, they're not in a relationship.

They just live together and occasionally have sex.
Old 2008-09-16, 10:29   Link #589
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Urei, thanks for the effort, but I can get all that. My doubts are about what was actually said, during that scene. In the beginning of the scene, before Sheryl cuts her finger, they seem to be quipping about keeping their relationship a secret, in terms of no one knowing that they are together. That's my doubt. Was that actually ever said, or was it an error on the subber's part? Sadly, my japanese isn't up to snuff...

@Anh_Minh: LOL!!!

Old 2008-09-16, 10:39   Link #590
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Urei, thanks for the effort, but I can get all that. My doubts are about what was actually said, during that scene. In the beginning of the scene, before Sheryl cuts her finger, they seem to be quipping about keeping their relationship a secret, in terms of no one knowing that they are together. That's my doubt. Was that actually ever said, or was it an error on the subber's part? Sadly, my japanese isn't up to snuff...

@Anh_Minh: LOL!!!
No it was more about them living together. The fact that they were sharing the same house was being kept secret.
Old 2008-09-16, 10:47   Link #591
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
No it was more about them living together. The fact that they were sharing the same house was being kept secret.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh... thanks, for the clear up. Together here could be just understood as living together, as roommates or whatever, then? Couldn't mean the relationship bit, then?

Edit: On another note, the countdown for episode 24 has already started, no?

Last edited by BetoJR; 2008-09-16 at 12:41.
Old 2008-09-16, 16:27   Link #592
magnuskn

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh... thanks, for the clear up. Together here could be just understood as living together, as roommates or whatever, then? Couldn't mean the relationship bit, then?

Edit: On another note, the countdown for episode 24 has already started, no?
Boy, am I ever unmotivated to get through two entire work days until the next episode. And then it is over in only one week and two days...

Not that the constant heartburn abating ( unless Kawamori screws it up... I keep such resentments for years and years. Just ask the guys at TheForce.net boards how I get whenever the death of Anakin Solo comes up. ), but IŽll miss the characters.
Old 2008-09-16, 17:58   Link #593
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Sure, they're not in a relationship.

They just live together and occasionally have sex.
Pity sex doesn't count.
Old 2008-09-16, 17:59   Link #594
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It counts if they decide it counts.
Old 2008-09-16, 18:25   Link #595
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Sex always counts. And, just like pizza, even when it's bad, it's still good.

Old 2008-09-16, 18:39   Link #596
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It counts if they decide it counts.
Just like getting drunk off non-alcholic wine?
Old 2008-09-16, 18:45   Link #597
musouka

It wasn't non alcoholic.
Old 2008-09-16, 18:46   Link #598
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
It wasn't non alcoholic.
Pretty sure it was. Alto said so.

"Even though there's no alchohol, you shouldn't drink it like that." or something along those lines.
Old 2008-09-16, 18:49   Link #599
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
"Even though there's no alchohol, you shouldn't drink it like that." or something along those lines.
No, he said "even if it's got a low alcohol content, you shouldn't--"
Old 2008-09-16, 18:50   Link #600
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, c'mon, neither of 'em was drunk, just "happy". Maybe it was just some kinda sugar-rush or something... and Alto did say it was non-alcoholic or something to that effect.

Closed Thread