AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-04, 23:56   Link #981
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I read that about the rumor of XBone possibly having its hardware take a hit. The rumor discussed at GAF. I'd like to see what comes of that rumor. The XBox One may be capable of less if this is true.
Old 2013-06-05, 01:56   Link #982
Destined_Fate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifa9Q...utu.be&t=1m10s

New Xbox One - TV Integration: Exclusive WIRED Video

TV part seems way too laggy, nothing like what we were shown before. Maybe it'll be fixed eventually.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 02:22   Link #983
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

IF it is true that Xbox1 has heating issues, it could be one of two things:

1. MS is just being paranoid because RROD in the past have traumatised them, so they are over-reacting to a little overheating.

or

2. MS actually has engineering issues in the team. Seriously, over-heating is something you are supposed to catch in the design phase. You are not suppose to struggle with the hardware failing in the same year it is suppose to launch.

(This reminds me of when Red Bull first sponsored Formula 1 Racing; they were making fast cars, but their vehicles ALWAYS malfunction mid-race and they lose. They only fix the problem by hiring a new manager. MS might need a new Head Designer for their console if the rumours were true.)
Old 2013-06-05, 07:07   Link #984
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What makes you think they got the same Head Designer as the one who did XBox 360? That guy outta be flipping burgers now.
Old 2013-06-05, 10:36   Link #985
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
IF it is true that Xbox1 has heating issues, it could be one of two things:

1. MS is just being paranoid because RROD in the past have traumatised them, so they are over-reacting to a little overheating.

or

2. MS actually has engineering issues in the team. Seriously, over-heating is something you are supposed to catch in the design phase. You are not suppose to struggle with the hardware failing in the same year it is suppose to launch.
If the overheating rumor is true, it's probably going to be an engineering problem that stems from the size of the SoC, and the resultant yields. Do you remember Microsoft's touted "5 billion transistors"? About 1.8 billion of those are for its eSRAM, and it's the most likely culprit for the yield issues.

This is a problem with all CPUs, GPUs and APUs, so Microsoft's engineers will work on it non-stop until the design is finalized for manufacture. Using made up numbers, if you can get 100 dies off a single wafer, maybe 30 are good, 10 are unusable, and 60 are usable if you disable certain parts of the chip. Sony faced the same problem with the Cell processor, so they ended up having to disable one of the SPEs.

Given another 6-9 months of work, Microsoft can probably finalize the design according to initial specs with satisfactory yields. However, if they still want to launch in November - December, they'll have only one month to do so. This will probably mean a design trade off of some kind - disabled CUs, lowered clock rates, or a lot fewer Xbox Ones (that cost Microsoft a lot more to build) in the initial shipment.

Further compounding Microsoft's headaches, Sony seems to be farther along both in terms of hardware and OS (and development tools). And if they go ahead with a decrease in the Xbox One's performance, the PS4 can potentially end up with double the processing power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What makes you think they got the same Head Designer as the one who did XBox 360? That guy outta be flipping burgers now.
Haven't all the key people who designed the 360 left Microsoft by now? In any case, the system is too far along to change key people now. If the Xbox One ends up as a failure, the people responsible will probably be dealt with 6-12 months after launch like Kutaragi Ken was.
Old 2013-06-05, 13:54   Link #986
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Neogaf thread on this has a new title: TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One, RUMOR: downclocking GPU

Also, there is this...

Looks like they don't wanna talk about things like the DRM, Kinect always being on, and now the eSRAM issue.

Also, they are behind with the OS, so the TV capabilities demonstration at the XBO unveil was a fake demonstration. Lol, geez...

"XBox, go home".

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2013-06-05 at 14:17.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 14:16   Link #987
defki

Quote:
Neogaf thread on this has a new title: TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One, RUMOR: downclocking GPU
Yes because CBoaT posted in the thread and said that it's true. This is as close to a confirmation you can get without hearing it direct from MS.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 14:28   Link #988
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

They were saying CBoaT is very credible. Who is he?

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_...osoft.html#nnn

MS says DRM for XBO has a lot of advantages. They say "Here are the reasons why: TBA". Keep digging that hole, MS.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2013-06-05 at 14:48.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 16:14   Link #989
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Oh God I can't wait for E3

This is some 'S' ranked quality trainwreck in the works
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 16:29   Link #990
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Chaos, you really hate MS and the XBox, huh?

I've never been an XBox fan. I'm hoping PS4 takes the lead next gen, so if the XBox One doesn't do well, I'm more than fine with that. I'm actually delighting in how the XBO is stumbling so far. I guess there is still some fanboy in me from the PS2 gen.
Old 2013-06-05, 16:35   Link #991
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am actually more surprised to hear that Xbox 1 doesn't yet have a functioning OS.

Like, what? MS hasn't figured out the software for their console yet? So anyway, it meant that the entire demonstration was staged. The console you see was literally an empty box. They are having hardware overheating issues, and they haven't ironed out the OS despite deciding on Windows 8 architecture ages ago.

All this is starting to make me change my mind about MS. As in, originally I just thought they were evil, but now I actually believe they were incompetent, and that all the evil stuff was unintentional. That they were so rushed in getting everyone done on time, they gave the wrong impressions.

Maybe when MS gave all those mixed messages, it was because they didn't know what they were doing. MS isn't trying to hide anything; they are just clueless.

I am just not sure if that is considered an improvement in the state of things, or that it made it worse.
Old 2013-06-05, 16:38   Link #992
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Chaos, you really hate MS and the XBox, huh?

I've never been an XBox fan. I'm hoping PS4 takes the lead next gen, so if the XBox One doesn't do well, I'm more than fine with that. I'm actually delighting in how the XBO is stumbling so far. I guess there is still some fanboy in me from the PS2 gen.
To be honest not really- my first console I've ever bought using my own money was the 360 And it lasted me for... 4-5 years? If you don't count the bloody red ring incidents

Only recently I've moved towards Sony products.

But Microsoft has set themselves up to be a wonderful villain given the way things are going right now I guess what I'm saying is... If they didn't do anything wrong, I wouldn't care either way, but since they have done it spectacularly wrong, I'm going to enjoy this.
Old 2013-06-05, 16:41   Link #993
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Microsoft has basically become classic Saturday Morning Cartoon villains - Mildly evil, and horribly incompetent.
Old 2013-06-05, 16:56   Link #994
defki

Quote:
They were saying CBoaT is very credible. Who is he?
An insider who leaked a lot of different things like MS hardware, games, details, NPD numbers etc. in the past years. Almost only posts to drop truthbombs, leaks and to confirm rumours. Near flawless track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Microsoft has basically become classic Saturday Morning Cartoon villains - Mildly evil, and horribly incompetent.

The second pic...
Old 2013-06-05, 17:18   Link #995
GDB

Only one I recognize is Madden. Guess I definitely am not their target audience, huh?
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 17:23   Link #996
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

You don't recognize the latest in gaming innovation- The Call of Duty dog ?!
Old 2013-06-05, 17:24   Link #997
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Only one I recognize is Madden. Guess I definitely am not their target audience, huh?
It's all the games shown in their last presentation. You should at least recognise the dog from the COD they kept hyping about.
Old 2013-06-05, 17:27   Link #998
defki

The second one is Killzone Shadow Fall...
Old 2013-06-05, 17:31   Link #999
GDB

Oh, that's a dog. Thought it was some weird platform he was using to hold a camera.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 17:39   Link #1000
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Oh, that's a dog. Thought it was some weird platform he was using to hold a camera.