AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-06, 17:44   Link #1
villainy vs heroism
The rest is history.

Military Uniforms! ( or WWI/II Aesthetics ? )

Basically, I've been getting into costume design, and have suddenly developed a big-time appreciation for military uniforms, of the sort prevalent in WWI and II eras (so, not so much modern camo, please). Nothing makes them look as good as anime embelishment, so . . .

Can anyone suggest any animes and mangas that use this same aesthetic?

I'm already aware of Axis Powers Hetalia, Hellsing, and Full Metal Alchemist using these sorts of styles. And while those come from different categories, I'm more concerned with appearance than genre, so feel free to suggest animes from all across the spectrum.

Thanks!
Old 2009-08-06, 17:49   Link #2
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Valkyria Chronicles
Old 2009-08-06, 18:13   Link #3
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Strike Witches, especially since it's an AU spin of WWII. All the characters are based off real-life pilots, and the Striker Units they use are modeled off real-life planes flown during WWII.
Old 2009-08-06, 18:52   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Oddly, Asura Cryin'. Though it's a modern supernatural school life action show, many have commented that the HS uniforms are reminiscent of WWII German unis.
Old 2009-08-06, 19:08   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Toward the end of Mouryou no Hako there are a couple of episodes which touch on the characters' experiences in WWII. There are a few uniforms displayed there. You might also want to take a look at the uniforms in Toshokan Sensou. There's a bunch of "grunts" in traditional infantry uniforms, and a number of intelligence officers who wear a classier set of clothes.
Old 2009-08-07, 04:20   Link #6
Ash Falls Town

Some of the main characters in Kyo Kara Maoh! wear clothing based on military uniforms.
Old 2009-08-07, 11:18   Link #7
micheut

I'll second Valkyria Chronicles. Amazing game and an amazing Anime.
Old 2009-08-07, 11:19   Link #8
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
07 ghost....
Old 2009-08-07, 11:51   Link #9
Saleh
Inactive

Seconding Valkyria Chronicles & Mouryou no Hako.

Allison to Lillia
Last Exile
Sky Crawlers
Pumpkin Scissors
Old 2009-08-07, 15:26   Link #10
LeoXiao
思想工作

Black Lagoon has, among its various supporting characters, a platoon of badass Soviet special forces troops, you may want to check that out.
Old 2009-08-08, 00:15   Link #11
AnimeFan188

What about Pumpkin Scissors and Fullmetal Alchemist?
Old 2009-08-08, 03:59   Link #12
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Zipang is a war anime about a modern Japanese destroyer and its staff being transported to WWII Japan. You will see a contrast of the modern navy military uniforms with the WW2 military uniforms.

In Legend of Galactic Heroes, both sides have distinguish military uniforms. The Alliance has a more modest military attire. There are not that much difference besides insignias and medals. The Empire has a modern twist of the Prussian Era military attire I guess. In the Empire side you will notice more distinguish different depending of the military rank of the soldier. And the Empire changes their military uniform as well when they change their regime. In both case you will see soldiers of various ranks, from the lowly petty officers to the supreme fleet admirals. Although it's a space opera anime, it has a strong grasp of realism in this regard.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2009-08-08, 07:34   Link #13
Shadow Kira01

Generally, you are looking for animes that are centralized on the theme of war but you are not interested in mecha animes as that fits your description perfectly. Most mecha animes nowadays are focused on the issues of politics, war, and terrorism. I don't think I need to suggest any animes for that, instead I will recommend this which isn't mecha-related:

Zipang
Old 2009-08-08, 08:47   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I can't remember which series, but a bunch of mecha anime have WWII type uniforms.

Only one I can think of though is Gundam Wing which more towards Napoleonic style.

Full Metal Panic has WWII style uniforms, although we don't see a lot of it as half the series takes place in civilian life, and another 1/4 are combat fatigues instead of dress uniforms.

The OVA for "The Second Raid" season takes place on the military base though so you'll see a lot of uniforms in that episode I think. Although the OVA won't be nearly as funny if you haven't seen the rest of the series.
Closed Thread