AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-04-23, 14:53   Link #36361
GuZidi

Warrants issued by Interpol for runaway officials

Quote:
Interpol has issued arrest warrants for the 100 most-wanted corrupt Chinese officials who have fled overseas, the CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection said on Wednesday.
"Most of the 100 Chinese fugitives are corrupt officials, and the suspects are accused of alleged graft issues, including embezzlement, abusing power, corruption and bribery," said a senior official at the CCDI's International Cooperation Bureau who declined to reveal his name.
The fugitives still at large include YangXiuzhu, former deputy director of the Zhejiang Provincial Construction Bureau, who fled to the US under suspicion of embezzling 250 million yuan ($40.3 million); Li Huabo, former senior official in the financial bureau of Poyang county, Jiangxi province, who immigrated to Singapore accused of embezzling 94 million yuan; and Huang Yurong, former vice-chairman of Henan Provincial Highway Development, who fled to the US under allegations of bribery.
http://en.people.cn/n/2015/0423/c90785-8882706.html
Old 2015-04-23, 17:54   Link #36362
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

And China is willing to let the country to who turn these guys in keep half the assets.
Old 2015-04-23, 23:04   Link #36363
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

How much is the reward for Xi Jinping?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-04-24, 01:19   Link #36364
OminousFlare

LOL More like the Age of Misogynists.
Quote:
Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner have apologized for calling their “Avengers: Age of Ultron” co-star Scarlett Johansson’s character Black Widow a “whore” during a recent press interview.

Evans and Jeremy Renner, while speaking to U.K. website Digital Spy, were asked about the character’s multiple romances in the Marvel universe, to which Renner sarcastically responded, “She’s a slut.”

Evans laughed: “I was going to do something along those lines…’She’s a complete whore.'”
Old 2015-04-24, 06:50   Link #36365
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Hostage locations difficult to track - and may be getting harder
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NF0B320150424

EU migrant search and rescue mission: Seven patrol boats, two planes, one helicopter
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...ne-helicopter/

Comcast plans to drop Time Warner Cable merger -source
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NE2D220150424
Old 2015-04-24, 08:15   Link #36366
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminousFlare View Post
LOL More like the Age of Misogynists.
She's marketed like a sexpot. It was so noticeable in the first movie's marketing that people spoke up about it, and created things like the Hawkeye Initiative.

A horrible choice of words from those actors, but that's the reason why it's a constant fight against misogyny. Many people who partake in it, don't even realize it. It's so ingrained in culture that no one really stops to wonder why a character like Iron Man gets a pass, but a character like Black Widow is called a slut.
Old 2015-04-24, 19:20   Link #36367
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Anyone else's blood boiling?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-04-24, 19:42   Link #36368
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Blood boiling? No, but very pissed.
Pissed at those frat boys for what they did, but also pissed at FOX News for trying to inflate this news. Yes what those morons did was more than wrong, but trying to equal the action of some drunks idiots to what happened after the Vietnam war is just wrong.
Old 2015-04-24, 22:04   Link #36369
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
She's marketed like a sexpot. It was so noticeable in the first movie's marketing that people spoke up about it, and created things like the Hawkeye Initiative.

A horrible choice of words from those actors, but that's the reason why it's a constant fight against misogyny. Many people who partake in it, don't even realize it. It's so ingrained in culture that no one really stops to wonder why a character like Iron Man gets a pass, but a character like Black Widow is called a slut.
Gamora of GotG is, in the comics, a free spirit who picks up men in bars all across the galaxy, much like Starlord does with women in the GotG film. Now I understand that part of her personality wouldn't have worked in the GotG film, but I do hope she would loosen up and go back to that kind of role for the sequel. Starlord is allowed to enjoy himself, why not Gamora?
Old 2015-04-25, 01:00   Link #36370
kyp275
Meh

Quote:

Tasteless joke? yea. Misogyny? that's quite a reach. But then again, we live in the age where some people considers a man saying hello to a woman to be misogyny.
Old 2015-04-25, 08:02   Link #36371
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Devastating Nepal earthquake kills hundreds, triggers deadly Everest avalanche
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NG07B20150425

FEC decision may allow more foreign money in U.S. votes, critics say
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NF1V420150424
Old 2015-04-25, 08:30   Link #36372
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

THE SPICE FLOWS!

Potent ‘Spice’ Drug Fuels Rise in Visits to Emergency Room

Old 2015-04-25, 11:18   Link #36373
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Tasteless joke? yea. Misogyny? that's quite a reach. But then again, we live in the age where some people considers a man saying hello to a woman to be misogyny.
Sure it's misogyny. I explained why. It's said jokingly because the actors aren't intentionally trying to smear the character, but it's still indicative of the state of society. At the very least, it's simply unprofessional.

I try to stay away from the internet outrages of the week, but no matter how it is spun, no good comes from the comments they made.
Old 2015-04-25, 11:52   Link #36374
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Sure it's misogyny. I explained why. It's said jokingly because the actors aren't intentionally trying to smear the character, but it's still indicative of the state of society. At the very least, it's simply unprofessional.
I didn't see that at all. Going back to your post, there's nothing there other than "it's misogyny because I said so". If marketing Blackwidow's sex appeal is misogyny, then is marketing male star's sex appeal misandry? or a gay/lesbian star's sex appeal homophobic? You're basically saying that female stereotypes = misogyny.

By that definition, most things we read or watch would be full of misogyny/misandry/racism/insert-whatever-ism here.
Old 2015-04-25, 11:57   Link #36375
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If I was there, I'd make sure I record everything and get every one of them expelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Blood boiling? No, but very pissed.
Pissed at those frat boys for what they did, but also pissed at FOX News for trying to inflate this news. Yes what those morons did was more than wrong, but trying to equal the action of some drunks idiots to what happened after the Vietnam war is just wrong.
Well, it's Fox, so yea.

That being said, if there were Vietnam vets there, the frat boy's action will more than remind them of the way they were treated.
Old 2015-04-25, 14:09   Link #36376
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I didn't see that at all. Going back to your post, there's nothing there other than "it's misogyny because I said so". If marketing Blackwidow's sex appeal is misogyny, then is marketing male star's sex appeal misandry? or a gay/lesbian star's sex appeal homophobic? You're basically saying that female stereotypes = misogyny.

By that definition, most things we read or watch would be full of misogyny/misandry/racism/insert-whatever-ism here.
Let's not be disingenuous here. They weren't "marketing Black Widow's sex appeal". They were expressing casual contempt for the way she used it.

"Playboy" or "stud" have different connotations from "slut" or "whore". Don't pretend it isn't so.

Now, it's possible it isn't, in fact, sexist. Just dig up the interview where they called Iron Man a whore. Or James Bond - another spy who uses his charm to get what he wants.
Old 2015-04-25, 15:10   Link #36377
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Let's not be disingenuous here. They weren't "marketing Black Widow's sex appeal". They were expressing casual contempt for the way she used it.

"Playboy" or "stud" have different connotations from "slut" or "whore". Don't pretend it isn't so.

Now, it's possible it isn't, in fact, sexist. Just dig up the interview where they called Iron Man a whore. Or James Bond - another spy who uses his charm to get what he wants.
Go back and read through the conversation again, that was a response to Solace's post, specifically this:

"She's marketed like a sexpot. It was so noticeable in the first movie's marketing that people spoke up about it, and created things like the Hawkeye Initiative." At least, that's the only thing I can think that he was referring to as his explanation.

To be fair, I'm just worn out on these kind of arguments. Seems like everyone these days are hypersensitive to be point of ridiculousness on everything. IMO the exaggerated "THIS OFFENDS ME!!!" mentality do more harm for the cause than good. Hell, there's just this thread on the FF14 forum where some people are losing their minds over some small variances for a couple armor sets between male/female versions, with lines like these thrown about:

"Why should what men, usually straight white cis men, want matter?"
"Once SE starts treating AFs literally exactly unisex, with no disparities between the genders other than perhaps females having a bit more form-fitting gear, then I'll stop being annoyed with them. Until then, I'm going to be annoyed by the sexist artistic choices for some of the AFs all I please."

all over nothing more than a simple exposed stomach on the female dragoon AF, nevermind the hilarious irony of "EQUALITY FOR EVERYONE, UNLESS YOU DISAGREE WITH WHAT I LIKE, IN WHICH CASE GO DIE IN A FIRE!!!" mentality on display here. It's pretty much this: http://i.imgur.com/JEWt2Q7.jpg.

Perspective is something that seems to have become a lost art. A small difference in a piece of armor makes the game sexist, a crude joke against a fictional female character is now misogyny (but somehow totally ok if it's directed at a man). I simply cannot imagine what goes on in the minds of people like that, I would be too busy being offended by everything to actually have a life.

Last edited by kyp275; 2015-04-25 at 15:38.
Old 2015-04-25, 15:52   Link #36378
maplehurry

Quote:
Go back and read through the conversation again, that was a response to Solace's post, specifically this:

"She's marketed like a sexpot. It was so noticeable in the first movie's marketing that people spoke up about it, and created things like the Hawkeye Initiative." At least, that's the only thing I can think that he was referring to as his explanation.
Personally, I interpreted the very last line to be the "meat of his argument".

"It's so ingrained in culture that no one really stops to wonder why a character like Iron Man gets a pass, but a character like Black Widow is called a slut."

Basically, there's a higher sex standard for women to uphold than men.

"Playboy's gonna be playboy, but whore is disgusting !"

Quote:
To be fair, I'm just worn out on these kind of arguments. Seems like everyone these days are hypersensitive to be point of ridiculousness on everything.
Personally, I am not offended by it, though I understand others' pointing out the double standard within the culture. (and then there are the hardcore feminists and SJWs on the other side of the spectrum)
Old 2015-04-25, 16:03   Link #36379
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:

You missed the REST OF THE POST. Jesus. Sorry man, but if that was your takeaway, that I'm taking one minor thing and extrapolating it into something bigger with hyperbole, you really missed the point.

It's misogyny because of the double standard, which is what Vallen and Ahn understood as my point. No one jokes about Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne being a playboy, but Black Widow is "jokingly" referred to as a slut and a whore because of her relationships? Does this not seem like an incredibly stupid thing to say or joke about, when it's not even true at all?

Yeah, it's a fictional character, but it's still a stupid comment and it should be called out for what it is. As I said, shit like this is so deeply rooted in society that no one really stops to think about what it really means to say things like that.

A slut implies a woman who will sleep around with anyone, an easy lay. A whore implies a woman who will sleep with anyone if they pay her enough.

It's telling enough that there really isn't a male word for these concepts. It's telling enough that people consider those words casual enough to use as a joke.

I know how the outrage machine works, and yeah, I won't deny that people go overboard over things that aren't really a huge deal, but at the root of many of those outrages is something that really is an issue and it is enough of a thing to make people want to talk about it.

Using your armor complaint thread as an example, maybe that particular armor isn't that bad (I have no idea since I don't play FF14), but RPG armor is infamous for giving men practical armor and giving women sexy armor. Heck this is extremely common even in anime. In the end, creators can make whatever they want. Is it misogyny? It's not intended to be offensive, but it is a result of a society where fictional characters in many instances are designed mainly for men.

To not recognize that, and not see why people argue about it and try to discover some new "happy middle ground" between genders, is more lacking in perspective than some idiot feminist or men's rights activist tossing around buzzwords and finding something new to be offended about every day.

Trust me, I get as tired of that schtick as you do. But I'm not going to pretend that there isn't something to it, either. Nothing exists in a vacuum.
Old 2015-04-25, 16:25   Link #36380
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

To be fair, I'm just worn out on these kind of arguments. Seems like everyone these days are hypersensitive to be point of ridiculousness on everything. IMO the exaggerated "THIS OFFENDS ME!!!" mentality do more harm for the cause than good. Hell, there's just this thread on the FF14 forum where some people are losing their minds over some small variances for a couple armor sets between male/female versions, with lines like these thrown about:
I get it (except the bit about FF14, because like Solace I don't play it). But at the same time, I'm also irked by the "it's just a joke" excuse. It's not about the joke. It's never just about the joke.

Here (point #1):
Quote:
When one comedian makes a joke about women as sex objects, it doesn't matter. When every comedian, and every movie, and every video game treats women as sex-prizes to be earned by strong, assertive men, then it contributes to a culture that doesn't value women as human beings. A culture where police officers don't believe female rape victims when their stories don't match what they've seen in movies and on TV. Then you have to call out the one comedian, because he or she is part of something far bigger and more evil than themselves.
Different "joke" here, but similar, related problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international