AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Old 2007-01-03, 17:46   Link #61
Mentar
Banned

I've finally been able to watch the first two eps, and I've got to say that I really like what I see (and hear) - so keep in mind that my exposure is a bit limited so far, but these are my honest first impressions:

1) The English dub differs significantly from the translation. It's like listening to a third version. Heavily localized with lots of slang expressions, but quite well-done (even though on some occasions the dub says the exact opposite of what was REALLY said in Japanese). Still, an enjoyable experience, and I like the editing.

2) The dub is certainly one of the better performances. Mitsuki and Shinji are excellent, Takayuki and Akane are pretty good. Haruka has the one problem which plagues most English dubs: She isn't speaking with her natural voice. Instead, she's got to use a falsetto-kind "throat" voice, which seriously hurts the immersion because it simply sounds unnatural. It's not so bad that it would cause me to switch the audio track though (a common fate for R1 releases unfortunately), still quite acceptable. But a disturbance to me.

3) I'm very pleased with the subtitle translation so far. Good solid work, and as far as I can tell pretty close to the original Japanese, but flowing quite well. They even kept the honorifics! And while the DVD box summaries were an example of how you should NOT do it (extremely biased), the subs seemed okay so far. Let's see how things go when we get to the crunch time eps.

Overall, I feel that my money was well-spent. Good work from Funi!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 18:13   Link #62
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
FUNimation sticking with the honorifics in their subtitles has always been their standard practice. It shouldn't bother sub viewers too much (unless they become anal with font color).
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 18:33   Link #63
Asrialys

The "Betrayal is a Bitch" thing still bothers me though. Kinda feels like an American teenage drama. At least it's not written on the series box. lol
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 19:04   Link #64
Codine

I've decided to wait until the rest of the collection is released, i dont feel like stopping at a sad part and feel even more sad that i couldnt finish watching it.
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 20:21   Link #65
dnnwenger

Got it

Yes, I do understand it now. I just haven't seen it all in so long; I'd forgotten that a great portion of the show is foreshadowed and many flashbacks are involved. Sorry, I'm just more of just an easy straight forward plot not requiring much in depth emotion. Thank you for your support though.
dnnwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 20:38   Link #66
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
I've decided to wait until the rest of the collection is released, i dont feel like stopping at a sad part and feel even more sad that i couldnt finish watching it.

But don't you want to feel the anguish and angst that comes with waiting for that next episode? You will miss all the fun we had when it first air

The screaming
The crying
Hair pulling
sleepless nights
uncontrol fits of crying while at work.
Old 2007-01-03, 22:57   Link #67
Asrialys

But that was one episode a week, wasn't it? This is 4-5 episodes every two months over the course of five months (I'm guessing here). We'll see so many episodes one after the other, and then have to wait about two months for the next batch. That's torture I think, especially for those of us who haven't watched it before.
Old 2007-01-04, 06:11   Link #68
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ watch 1 ep per 2 weeks...ouch >.<
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
But don't you want to feel the anguish and angst that comes with waiting for that next episode? You will miss all the fun we had when it first air

The screaming
The crying
Hair pulling
sleepless nights
uncontrol fits of crying while at work.
and finally attempting suicide

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 14:56   Link #69
Codine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
^ watch 1 ep per 2 weeks...ouch >.<

and finally attempting suicide
lmao i wouldnt know about the suicide part
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 11:19   Link #70
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
"Betrayal is a Bitch." LOL What the heck?
LOL. /laughs in delight

/came by advertisement leading to official page. "Watch episode one, blablabla, A story of friendship, love and betrayal.

Yeah, those people know where their heart is I might actually consider bying that, if only for the tags and the advertisements

It's so good to know you are officially sanctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perishthethought View Post

In addition, have you seen the episode titles they've added?

1: Friends to Lovers, 2: Waiting, 3: Betrayed by Love, 4: Moving On and 5: Lead Astray
I must send cookies to those good, just and honorable lads that didn't fail to see what's right and officially promote it. Good deeds must be rewarded
Old 2007-01-22, 16:25   Link #71
Perishthethought

Haha, you should come up with some sort of 'official seal of approval' for your posts. It's interesting to think that the western release came down so heavily on Haruka's side, whereas there's a huge difference in Haruka's standing in Japan.
Perishthethought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 16:34   Link #72
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I don't know about Haruka's standing in Japan (the fact that they're going to release Haruka's route does say something though), and Americans have a tendency to mess many things up (be it politics or entertainment) but that time they actually made my day

And yeah, all my pro-Haruka arguments in KGNE threads are effectively sanctioned in the western world. I rule!
Old 2007-01-22, 20:00   Link #73
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ lol npal ~ you always stand by girls who have potential to become psycos lolol
the betrayal part strikes me shocking...how the heck did the guy get a betrayal vibe comming from ep 1 okey well nothing really important as the person probably already knows about title 3 okey...just see past mitsuki's outer shell and youll be fine

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 20:18   Link #74
NaruAc

i waint for the second and third DVD to come out before I start watching. I know i have to wait till march, but i pre ordered them. ANyways

THE OSTS ARE SO SAD
NaruAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 00:20   Link #75
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaruAc View Post
i waint for the second and third DVD to come out before I start watching. I know i have to wait till march, but i pre ordered them. ANyways

But you are going to miss all the fun of the agonzing wait for the next vol

Edit: Rightstuf is shipping vol2 3 weeks before release date.

Anyone tick off at just uninspire packaging and lack of any extra the KGNE release is having. No color booklets, No trading cards, OST's not even a cheap plastic ring. And the artwork on the DVD cover and the box is so boring.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2007-01-25 at 15:52.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 02:07   Link #76
Freeter
beyond

Just finished watching vol. 2, what a rush. I like how the creators manage to mix both comedy and drama and have it all flow naturally. There's never a moment where it feels inappropriate. Bonus points for Daikuuji for stealing every scene she's in and having secret connections. Who was that woman anyway?

The dub...I don't like it. I really hoped that Funi would've been able to pull off something decent here, but the performances didn't win me over. The conversation between Mitsuki and her superior on the roof was so flat and monotone that you could have either actress switch roles and you wouldn't notice any difference.

I agree that Funi needs to add more extras to this disc. Maybe include promo art and sketches for the anime as well as the game. Even a teaser of Akane Maniax would be nice. Plus they really should make the next volume preview separate from all the other trailers so people don't accidentally gloss over it.

Can't wait for volume 3...and the upcoming OVA.
Old 2007-01-26, 13:50   Link #77
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Anyone tick off at just uninspire packaging and lack of any extra the KGNE release is having. No color booklets, No trading cards, OST's not even a cheap plastic ring. And the artwork on the DVD cover and the box is so boring.
Well, on the other hand, they split all 14 episodes on 3 DVDs, instead of more-usual 4 which would've afforded more extras. I think that's pretty telling. I'm not necessarily saying that we should just be grateful that we got anything at all, but at the same time I think we have to realize that this probably isn't something Funimation can afford to splurge on in the current market. Certainly, though, if you have the ~$400 to get the R2 release, and can still find all the firstpress releases, it's definitely nicer (you get what you pay for...).

That being said, I should also point out that a lot of R1 DVDs don't have colour booklets, trading cards, OSTs, or much in the way of extras -- and in fact, a lot of R2 releases are the same way. It really varies widely.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 14:05   Link #78
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Just finished watching vol. 2, what a rush. I like how the creators manage to mix both comedy and drama and have it all flow naturally. There's never a moment where it feels inappropriate. Bonus points for Daikuuji for stealing every scene she's in and having secret connections. Who was that woman anyway?
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, on the other hand, they split all 14 episodes on 3 DVDs, instead of more-usual 4 which would've afforded more extras. I think that's pretty telling. I'm not necessarily saying that we should just be grateful that we got anything at all, but at the same time I think we have to realize that this probably isn't something Funimation can afford to splurge on in the current market. Certainly, though, if you have the ~$400 to get the R2 release, and can still find all the firstpress releases, it's definitely nicer (you get what you pay for...).

That being said, I should also point out that a lot of R1 DVDs don't have colour booklets, trading cards, OSTs, or much in the way of extras -- and in fact, a lot of R2 releases are the same way. It really varies widely.
Still they could have at least gotten some better artwork for the DVD case.
Old 2007-01-30, 21:27   Link #79
Asrialys

FUNimation would probably spend on series they absolutely know will succeed with audiences of all types. Now I'm kinda afraid for SHUFFLE!.
Old 2007-02-09, 05:17   Link #80
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

Ultimaitly, its the show that counts, who cares if the packaging isn't all that great, most american anime packaging lack trading cards, ost's etc, you have to buy those separatly. Its not like lacking these extrals is going to ruine the anime in anyway.

Lacan/Grahf
idofgrahf is offline   Reply With Quote