AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-22, 18:30   Link #341
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Given the fact that Haruhi dragged him along to talk to them...
Well, yeah. It is not like they make things easier to the others.

The way the act together is a bait for misunderstandment, specially in Japan, I guess, where public demonstrarion of affection betwen couples is not common.
Old 2009-10-22, 18:56   Link #342
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Kyon actively using "Haruhi" for her while he calls everyone else by their family names doesn't help much, either.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-23, 16:17   Link #343
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
And Haruhi always yelling at Kyon...calling him Kyon doesn't help either.
BAsicaly every seems to assume they're a couple
Old 2009-10-24, 01:03   Link #344
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
And Haruhi always yelling at Kyon...calling him Kyon doesn't help either.
BAsicaly every seems to assume they're a couple
The only person in the series that doesn't call him Kyon is Yuki*. She calls him "you".

EDIT: * And probably Itsuki.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2009-10-26 at 00:33. Reason: correction
Old 2009-10-24, 01:09   Link #345
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
The only person in the series that doesn't call him Kyon is Yuki. She calls him "you".
In addition, Koizumi has only referred to him as "Kyon" once... he did it to mock him, as I recall.
Old 2009-10-24, 08:32   Link #346
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Haruhi needs a heart. (just as I saw in a fic of nukesjr that Haruhi didn't have any XD)
Trust me, I have plans where her character will turn around and I'll be nicer to her. I look at her like an antagonist, because she practically is one.

I just think she needs a more cognitive brain because of the fact that she's god, there are so many roads not yet traveled with the Haruhi Series. And many of Haruhi's unlikable traits come from how she thinks about herself AND humanity. Now, thanks to Animesuki, I don't have too many quarrels against the character, I just feel like she's too flawed and not many people seem to notice.

The climax of The Sighs of Haruhi Suzumiya really changed things up in the long run with Haruhi's character, and to think about what could of happened and how Kyon also developed during that arc, was just fascinating
Old 2009-10-24, 11:18   Link #347
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Trust me, I have plans where her character will turn around and I'll be nicer to her. I look at her like an antagonist, because she practically is one.

I just think she needs a more cognitive brain because of the fact that she's god, there are so many roads not yet traveled with the Haruhi Series. And many of Haruhi's unlikable traits come from how she thinks about herself AND humanity. Now, thanks to Animesuki, I don't have too many quarrels against the character, I just feel like she's too flawed and not many people seem to notice.

The climax of The Sighs of Haruhi Suzumiya really changed things up in the long run with Haruhi's character, and to think about what could of happened and how Kyon also developed during that arc, was just fascinating
If you don't hate Haruhi after that scene, you probably never will.
Old 2009-10-24, 11:23   Link #348
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
In addition, Koizumi has only referred to him as "Kyon" once... he did it to mock him, as I recall.
This? Or was there another instance you were thinking of?

Spoiler for Volume 7:
Old 2009-10-24, 11:55   Link #349
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Oh god. Koizumi+Sarcasm=epic win
Old 2009-10-24, 14:24   Link #350
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post

Spoiler for Volume 7:
Hmm. Never seen that one before.

I believe it's in LOVER... it's when he calls him "Kyon-kun", to make fun of how Mikuru refers to him.
Old 2009-10-24, 15:06   Link #351
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:
Hmm. Never seen that one before.

I believe it's in LOVER... it's when he calls him "Kyon-kun", to make fun of how Mikuru refers to him.
Huh. Now I'm stumped -- I've gone through LOVER a couple times and haven't found this. The only time I can recall is the Volume 7 instance I mentioned earlier, and even then I'm not convinced it wasn't a mistake (either a typo or in the translation). Maybe I'll look around some more, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

(I'm relieved, though, because I couldn't really detect any sarcasm or mocking in the Volume 7 conversation, not the least because Kyon doesn't react to the nickname at all. I expected a Snark Bomb retaliation if he thought Koizumi was making fun of him. At least I'm not being incredibly dense... this time?)
Old 2009-10-24, 15:56   Link #352
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I know it's in SOME book.

B-T mentions it in their style guide, so...
Old 2009-10-24, 16:17   Link #353
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:
I know it's in SOME book.

B-T mentions it in their style guide, so...
What's interesting is that the style guide chart is a translation of a Japanese chart, which lists Koizumi as using "あなた" and "(?キョン君)". Note the question mark -- is it just assumed that, if Koizumi needs to reference Kyon when Kyon is not present, that he uses that phrase, not that there's actually a documented time he does so?
Old 2009-10-24, 16:27   Link #354
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Again, I know it's in SOME book. I remember reading it.
Old 2009-10-24, 16:34   Link #355
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:
Again, I know it's in SOME book. I remember reading it.
I'm not saying I don't believe you. I just know I haven't found it yet, I don't remember it at all anyway, you remember it but don't know where it was, and the style guide provides a plausible explanation as to why it's remembered but not found. That's all. I'll keep looking, too, because I want there to be a definitive example. I'm just not sure where it is yet.
Old 2009-10-24, 17:20   Link #356
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post

Spoiler for Volume 7:
if you can tell me the chapter and i can look for it in the Japanese books and see if it's really there, or if it's just a translation error
Old 2009-10-24, 17:28   Link #357
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensei View Post
if you can tell me the chapter and i can look for it in the Japanese books and see if it's really there, or if it's just a translation error
I'd love you forever if you could check. It's chapter 4, post-digging, during the conversation between Kyon and Koizumi.
Old 2009-10-24, 18:08   Link #358
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

Alright, found it........unfortunately, Koizumi does not say Kyon at all in that sentence in Intrigues.......there goes one,now if only Kaisos could remember the one he remembers, I would look for that one too.

EDIT: I just noticed we're off topic
Old 2009-10-24, 18:24   Link #359
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Thank you!

I thought the "Kyon" was weird -- not only because Koizumi never refers to him directly like that, but it didn't make sense in a scene in which they were the only people involved. No need to address the person you're already speaking to by name.

I did a search for "Kyon-kun" on all nine translated novels and didn't find any instance of Koizumi saying it; it's pretty much always Asahina-san (big and small), Tsuruya-san, or Kyon's sister. I even checked the Haruhi Theater shorts and came up with zilch. If nothing else, I might go back and slowly work my way through the books searching for just "Kyon", but that's obviously going to take a while longer. XD

And we are so totally off-topic... Better have these posts moved to the Novel discussion thread, maybe, since it's dealing more with translations than characterization?
Old 2009-11-03, 10:52   Link #360
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A new idea I have concerning Haruhi after finishing Novels 5 and 6, the Prologue to 7, and
Spoiler for Slight novel spoiler:

From this material, what is striking to me is how, post-Novel 4, Haruhi is typically upbeat, often very energetic, and (this is the change) often sweet and considerate to others.

But there are these instances (at least three specific ones) when she becomes absolutely vicious and/or extremely sinister. There are emotional triggers for each of these instances, but nonetheless... it goes a bit beyond even typical tsundere behavior. Because when you read these instances of "dark Haruhi" (for lack of a better term), it truly is like her very personality changes, and that she becomes as dark and malevolent as, say, Queen Beryl from Sailor Moon. Maybe even worse.

When you couple this with her often severe mood swings (Sigh Part 4 comes to mind), I wonder... do you think Haruhi might have bi-polar disorder?

In fact, IIRC, I think that even Kyon has, at least one or twice in his narration, outright called Haruhi bipolar. He's probably doing it half-jokingly, but maybe he's more accurate than even he knows.

It is true that people with bipolar disorder often have problems functioning in society... and Haruhi has no problems functioning at her schoolwork, of course. But perhaps that's simply her sheer intelligence and quick, sharp thinking compensating for her often being emotionally unhinged.

This post probably reads as shocking coming from me, but I like to explore every viable angle with the characters that intrigue me the most.

So, what do people here think - is Haruhi bi-polar?

Tags
characters