Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2021-09-15, 22:29   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Movie - General Discussion

Quote:
Sunrise revealed at the "Dai 2-kai Gundam Conference" event on Wednesday that it is producing a new anime film titled Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island (Kidō Senshi Gundam: Cucuruz Doan no Shima). The film will open in 2022.
Manga creator and animator Yoshikazu Yasuhiko will direct the film. Yasuhiko had revealed in June that he was working on an unannounced anime film.

The announcement describes the film as a retelling of the 15th episode of the original Mobile Suit Gundam television anime. The episode itself has been omitted from English releases of the series.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...n-2022/.177387

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-15, 23:07   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Mobile Suit Martial Arts for the winnnn!!!!!
Old 2021-09-16, 16:16   Link #3
Blaat

I can't believe this is getting a movie, I'm guessing this got greenlight because the production of Hathaway 2nd movie delayed (due to covid) and they needed something to fill in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Mobile Suit Martial Arts for the winnnn!!!!!
Can' t wait for Doan to use his shining finger... no wait wrong Mobile Suit Martial Arts series.
Old 2021-09-16, 17:14   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Wasn't it the episode Tomino was so ashamed of he personally requested it not to be released outside Japan?
Old 2021-09-16, 18:04   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I can't believe this is getting a movie, I'm guessing this got greenlight because the production of Hathaway 2nd movie delayed (due to covid) and they needed something to fill in.
Nah. This must be pre-planned sometime before. It's not easy to get Yasuhiko to direct something unless there's something special within the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Wasn't it the episode Tomino was so ashamed of he personally requested it not to be released outside Japan?
Yes, mostly for off-model & bad animation and the rather filler-ish nature. The story itself is actually pretty good and sad. It's about a good Zeon soldier who actually protected & took care of the local children/orphans.
Old 2021-09-16, 18:09   Link #6
n0m@n
C-Z

One of few man who managed to defeat Amuro huh. Wonder if it will take before or after the episode he appeared in. Though the title has the words "land" on it I guess it would take pace after. And the man deserves his own customized Zaku II (won't happen but want to see).
Old 2021-12-20, 23:47   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2021-12-21, 00:31   Link #8
Frontier

CG RX-78 feels so weird...
Old 2022-02-03, 09:00   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The story is set after the Federation defense of Jaburo, with the Federation planning to renew offensives on Zeon's invasion headquarters in Odessa. Amuro and the White Base head to Belfast to resupply, but the White Base receives new orders: to head to the "Island of No Return" to search and destroy any Zeon stragglers. Amuro set out on the island in search of Zeon spies, but find a group of children and a Zaku mobile suit on the supposedly uninhabited island. With the Gundam left behind, Amuro encounters a man who calls himself Cucuruz Doan. After uncovering the secret of the island, Amuro attempts to make his way back to the Gundam to escape. - ANN
Old 2022-02-04, 04:01   Link #10
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
CG RX-78 feels so weird...
Rather than CG IMO its more of "RX-78 got a sensible movement? Impossible!"

The detail is awesome (made me wishes Char's got that line details, sticker of series number to make it even) but watching it standing with process like a real robot conflicted with how I'm used watching RX-78 stand almost immediately or how sometimes it legs looked slim due to animators trying to made good pose (e.g. last shooting) back then. LOL.

Old 2022-02-04, 04:16   Link #11
B214

Why does it feel like another testbed for potentially rebooting the first Gundam show.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-09, 12:12   Link #12
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Rather than CG IMO its more of "RX-78 got a sensible movement? Impossible!"

The detail is awesome (made me wishes Char's got that line details, sticker of series number to make it even) but watching it standing with process like a real robot conflicted with how I'm used watching RX-78 stand almost immediately or how sometimes it legs looked slim due to animators trying to made good pose (e.g. last shooting) back then. LOL.

Then Zeta gundam needs a reboot lol. Movable frame....what's that?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-09, 12:07   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube

Looks pretty good! As expected of Origin anime.

Doan will be voiced by Shunsuke Takeuchi. For YGO fans, he is known as the super-cool & menacing Revolver from YGO Vrains. As for previous Gundam role, he recently voiced Mafty member Iram Masam from Hathaway movie.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2022-03-09 at 13:20.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-16, 13:43   Link #14
Frontier

The spiritual Origin sequel we never knew we needed .
Old 2022-04-22, 00:43   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Some Cucuruz Doan news:

YouTube

Those are some nice-looking GM & Zaku variants.

YouTube

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2022-04-22 at 19:27.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-26, 17:09   Link #16
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

New trailer:

YouTube

It looks even better!
Old 2022-04-26, 23:30   Link #17
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Damn, the trailer is so good it made me wanted to say, "Now that's how you modernized 80's style".
It got the modern movie-standard Gundam quality while the character action and delivery got enough vibe to tell this is not story from current era; some shots felt like they're taking notes from Ghibli movies.

Can't unheard Revolver who, after dealing with guilt and Soulburner trauma, now taking care of Amuro through battlefield as Zion soldier.

Old 2022-06-10, 10:39   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I've seen the movie. It's really good for what it is: an expansion of an episode about a Zeon deserter who is protecting war orphans as a means of redemption.

First & foremost, I need to warn you that, just like Hathaway, this movie is not a wall-to-wall MS action because (again), like Hathaway, that's not really the point of the story (which I already wrote above).
Spoiler for movie events:

A very good Cucuruz Doan movie: 8/10
Old 2022-06-19, 09:24   Link #19
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I thoroughly enjoyed this one for very similar reasons as Obelisk had stated. My own remarks are a bit lengthier and won't fit into the forum post's max char count: a fantastic combination of human elements that makes Gundam thought-provoking, brilliantly animated combat scenes and this time around, comedy in the form of Blanca vs. Kai and Sleggar's GM :P

Images

I do hope more people will have a chance to watch this one; UC fans will enjoy themselves, and I remark here that Cucuruz Doan's Island does one more thing well (in addition to the reasons stated): rather than making viewers suffer a 11 month wait (as Girls und Panzer, Makoto Shinkai and Kyoto Animation are wont to doing), they made the BDs accessible immediately. This is how you do business.
Old 2023-05-19, 23:29   Link #20
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Just watched Cucuruz Doan last night and honestly, I'm in awe.

Even to audience without familiarity with Doan episode, throughout movie the staffs really shown they did the homework, spectacularly.

Different from Hathaway where the delivery goes hard from start to finish as if its a machine with high precision, Cucuruz Doan delivered comfy ride, strong reminder of 80's, with classiness of modern Gundam. This one is part I appreciated a lot from Sunrise as nowadays we got plenty remake but most of them come out as quick cash grab happened because there's no blockbusters available anytime soon; not many willing to explore how to emulate 80's-90's charm that made that work something to be remembered, let alone properly timing when to be modern and when to be a classic.

When it comes to VA, well, I have to say Furuya Tohru went 120% here.
He really bring young Amuro naivete back, something I didn't expect after used to his 'serious, older Amuro' voice for his clones like Ribbons (00) and Amuro (Detective Conan, no kidding his name is Amuro; also known as Furuya on his flashback. LOL). Shunsuke Takeuchi voice act is also amazing; too good I expected he's the typecast for the rough, gentle big bro roles in future after Doan, if not chuuni works antagonists like Revolver.

Definite score, 8 of 10 from me too. Fun ride, nothing extravagant, just enough for everything (Gundam reputation, Doan story, etc), definitely my bar for 'test for remake / reboot' anime. The minus is only, you at least need to be familiar with Zeon. It easy to mistaken them as band of Sunday cartoon villain in front of chad figure like remake Doan.