AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-03-09, 14:41   Link #21
RaymondSageClark
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
Take discussion on the finding and compilation of the LN volumes and short stories to jcafe novel shoppu's mahouka thread. That kind of discussion is no longer accepted here. We have to act fast and be careful.
I just noticed how mods delete a lot of post here. Well nothing new.
RaymondSageClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 14:52   Link #22
bakato

I recall someone saying that english companies wouldn't touch this due to the incest theme.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 14:53   Link #23
amtro
Distro

Well, in terms of quality of translations YP isn't the worst. Far from it, they're just slow as molasses. It might be on par with the current translations. Though some of their "localizations" leave much to be desired. The problem lies in the fact that they are complete nazis in protecting their IP. First BT will take down all translations, then with translations gone from this large public platform interest will plummet. Never mind full volume translations, even spoilers will be significantly slower. With a bit of luck vol 15 and 14 will be done before this kicks in fully. Getting vol 16 will be a miracle.

Quote:
I just noticed how mods delete a lot of post here. Well nothing new.
Of course he did. I was giving the forum bad PR so he deleted my post in secret.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 14:57   Link #24
Weather
Wonder Wind

Mahouka is literally one of the most pro-japan suck it-everybody else LN ever and it is HATED by a lot of western people due to incest-undertones and such.

In what universe Yen Press thought this was a good idea?

Respect the Earth! If not... Who knows? You might get cursed... heh heh~
Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 14:57   Link #25
bakato

Quote:
Well, in terms of quality of translations YP isn't the worst. Far from it, they're just slow as molasses. It might be on par with the current translations. Though some of their "localizations" leave much to be desired. The problem lies in the fact that they are complete nazis in protecting their IP. First BT will take down all translations, then with translations gone from this large public platform interest will plummet. Never mind full volume translations, even spoilers will be significantly slower. With a bit of luck vol 15 and 14 will be done before this kicks in fully. Getting vol 16 will be a miracle.

Of course he did. I was giving the forum bad PR so he deleted my post in secret.
Slow? They're releasing a volume practically every month now.

By the way, don't forget to back up the manga. I think it's obious which one's been licensed.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 14:58   Link #26
Casarial

ech... just when I want to ask if there is any info about vol. 14 progress...
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/574974810322763777

so I guess translation project will die soon
Casarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 14:58   Link #27
Rasen

Quote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but once a company pays for the rights for something, one generally expects them to become protective of their IPs.

And in terms of the bigger picture, I'm actually ecstatic to see that there are American companies who think there is a large enough market in the US to make money from Light Novels. If they're right, that means I'm gradually transitioning from "strange person with strange interests" to "strange person who was ahead of the trend."

Sadly, I'm pretty sure work on vol 14-15 stopped. (It's been almost non-existent for some time now, too)
Rasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 14:59   Link #28
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather View Post
Mahouka is literally one of the most pro-japan suck it-everybody else LN ever and it is HATED by a lot of western people due to incest-undertones and such.

What? It's one of the most popular LNs in Japan and it's very popular here too, haters are just more vocal. It got a subsection for a reason.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 15:02   Link #29
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casarial View Post
ech... just when I want to ask if there is any info about vol. 14 progress...
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/574974810322763777

so I guess translation project will die soon

Pretty sure it's dead now too. I think BT has locked the main page from editing, and the links to epubs have been taken down.

Which makes any summaries about volumes 14-15 extra valuable now. Has there been a generous soul or two who happened to have done a particularly thorough job of both?
Old 2015-03-09, 15:04   Link #30
RaymondSageClark
Banned

Quote:

>HATED
>Best LN of 2014 and the number #1 on sells

Yeah sure bro.
RaymondSageClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 15:04   Link #31
amtro
Distro

Vol 14 is almost done and vol 15 had a lot of volunteers announcing that they were interested. The only reason why you perceive it is non-existent is because they haven't been added to the site.

Quote:
And in terms of the bigger picture, I'm actually ecstatic to see that there are American companies who think there is a large enough market in the US to make money from Light Novels. If they're right, that means I'm gradually transitioning from "strange person with strange interests" to "strange person who was ahead of the trend."
Also in regards to overseas interest, that is also very bad considering the political climate in the states right now. Mahouka will get shot down as sexist and conservative propaganda. Also LNs in the states is nothing new, you are still that guy with the weird interests.
Old 2015-03-09, 15:08   Link #32
evalot1997

So the light novel 'FIFA' has finally make their move huh.................
evalot1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 15:14   Link #33
ProxyAccount

Quote:

Mahouka is a Japanese light-novel by a Japanese writer. Having a Japanese perspective is not exactly surprising. Complaining about the Japan-centric perspective is like complaining about USA-centric perspective in American novels by American writers. A "lot of western people" is rather vague. These "western people" have some sort of petition to keep Mahouka off of 'western shores'? Because there's no modern, commercially successful, "western" stories with incest undertones. *cough*Vampire Chronicles*cough*A Song of Fire and Ice*cough* Let's not even mention the Star Wars movies and the novel spin-offs. Nope, no incestuous undertones in western literature at all.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 15:19   Link #34
ProxyAccount

Not to my knowledge. Aside from the first couple of chapters for volume 14, only summaries with short, translated quotes are available.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 15:20   Link #35
IceHism

Quote:
Vol 14 is almost done and vol 15 had a lot of volunteers announcing that they were interested. The only reason why you perceive it is non-existent is because they haven't been added to the site.

Also in regards to overseas interest, that is also very bad considering the political climate in the states right now. Mahouka will get shot down as sexist and conservative propaganda. Also LNs in the states is nothing new, you are still that guy with the weird interests.
I don't see how you can argue mahouka is sexist unless you are implying that it has positive sexism instead of negative sexism. Which I am pretty sure no one cares for. There's a reason the model minority stereotype exists.

I don't really see how just because Japan isn't really "allied" with anyone in this means the author is anti-every other country
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 15:22   Link #36
amtro
Distro

He is right, mahouka has a lot more detractors than it has fans in the west. It is wildly popular in Japan and the SAO crowd were very quick to jump on it here when the anime started, but most of them hated it and left. The first volume's themes ran in stark contrast to their own liberal ideologies, in particular the thing about preference of magic-centered clubs not being discrimination, but rather just correct allocation of resources in a meritocracy. Utilitarianism is tantamount to satanism to these people. Adding to this, Tatsuya wasn't a limp wristed useless schmuck, he went against the mold and was therefore branded a mary sue.

Quote:
I don't see how you can argue mahouka is sexist unless you are implying that it has positive sexism instead of negative sexism. Which I am pretty sure no one cares for. There's a reason the model minority stereotype exists.
Miyuki is not GI Jane, this alone is enough to make certain people fly into a fit of rage.
Old 2015-03-09, 15:33   Link #37
Rasen

Quote:
Fair enough.

Quote:
LNs in the states are nothing new, but I must protest. Up until Yen Press, LNs basically came from either Tokyopop (Trinity Blood and Slayers, I think), Dark Horse (Vampire Hunter D) and little else. And Tokyopop went under.

Political climate in the states be danged. It's always bad for foreign things in the states. (With the exception of cars, and that's because GM was screwing the pooch so badly people got an open mind). My point is that somehow, even with all the factors working against it in a Judeo-Christian Society that considers itself the God-Blessed, greatest nation in the history of the Earth, there remains a company who thinks they can still make money from this. This is a potentially promising indicator about the state of entertainment from Japan, as far as I'm concerned.

And of course I'm still the weird guy. I said "transitioning."

Quote:

I don't know if it's so much pro-Japan as it is pro-Tatsuya. Japan's societies aren't portrayed that great compared to others, though the other countries aren't portrayed much at all. And a number of characters are interracial, which shows a more liberal tone than Japanese society (hentai aside).
Old 2015-03-09, 15:40   Link #38
amtro
Distro

Oh not at all, the "freedom fries" people are the ones who will appreciate Mahouka, because despite their own failings these people are immensely patriotic and loyal to their nation. The story and themes of self determination, hard work, talent, perseverance and success will resonate with them. The ones I'm worried about are the tumblr hipsters and "protected feelings" crowd.
Old 2015-03-09, 15:46   Link #39
Rasen

Quote:
Oh not at all, the "freedom fries" people are the ones who will appreciate Mahouka, because despite their own failings these people are immensely patriotic and loyal to their nation. The story and themes of self determination, hard work, talent, perseverance and success will resonate with them. The ones I'm worried about are the tumblr hipsters and "protected feelings" crowd.
I disagree, if only because the "Freedom Fries" people will also point to Japan being on par with the US and dissolve into a frothy rage. (They may believe in patriotism and loyalty to one's nation, but how dare other countries favor themselves over the US) They may also be angry at Lisa losing to Tatsuya, and STARS acting outside of their country ("typical foreign countries believing that the US acts inappropriately abroad"). Also possibly "If the US Strategic Magician were a guy, he would have won."
Old 2015-03-09, 16:10   Link #40
Iramohs

Quote:
Spice and Wolf ended in 2011 and Yen Press picked it up in early 2009. Guess what, they're still releasing volumes, they're on 14 out of 17 to be precise with vol 14 due in April of this year. So yeah, it's not 7 years just yet, but it will get there.

We need more than that. We have to track down the short stories too and archive them, because if not those will be lost forever once the C&Ds start rolling out. Because YP never translates side materials.
I have vols 1-13 saved on my PC. I figured this would happen eventually.
Iramohs is offline   Reply With Quote