AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-12-23, 16:09   Link #21
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Here are what I think

1) RNG-luck-Blizzard actually lowered RNG/Luck compared to magic, by eliminating mana clumping.

2) In my opinion, the Strategic depth is no worse than Magic. During my time as a MTG player (Urza saga days), magic seemly evolved past the "cast spell, summon monster and attack" and go straight to "LOL, here is my infinite combo before your infinite combo" If you believe magic is the former and not the latter, then Hearthstone is easily on par with Magic (During Magic's Alpha and Beta edition days...heck, I would say it is on par to MTG's 4th Edition at least).

3) Also, anyone who complain about nerf and bans must never played Magic--which often ban entire set for being out of print, or a card for being OP. Guess what? IT IS NORMAL. At least blizzard do you the favor to refund your card.
Old 2014-01-21, 23:34   Link #22
Wigwams

open beta is here for NA:
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/...here-1-21-2014
Old 2014-01-22, 06:59   Link #23
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

The game is nice and all, but it's lacking the motivation to keep me playing. You only have 1 quest a day, so it's hardly enough to join arena, and ranked games is kind of meaningless to me. People just play the cookie cutter best guide deck in ranked matches, so there are not many variation decks to enjoy playing against. No reward for being at high ranks either.

I wish they would implement more thing to do.
Old 2014-01-22, 07:09   Link #24
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
The game is nice and all, but it's lacking the motivation to keep me playing. You only have 1 quest a day, so it's hardly enough to join arena, and ranked games is kind of meaningless to me. People just play the cookie cutter best guide deck in ranked matches, so there are not many variation decks to enjoy playing against. No reward for being at high ranks either.

I wish they would implement more thing to do.

Therein is a big problem. Yeah, cutting down the power of Mage and Warlock did fix some of the biggest problems. Toning down Dark Iron Dwarf and Defender of Argus did too. Yes, there is more variety of class being played.

But the core cards still run through all 9 classes. Variation within class is small. When class-less Rares outshine a good deal class Epics and most class-less Legendaries, it's somewhat sad. But hey, Defender of Argus, Argent Commander and the like snatch victory from the jaws of defeat for any class. Why wouldn't you use them?

As for more to do - that's just fantasy. They'll give you some stuff to do. But if you really want to get it all, you will either have to drop a bundle of IRL money or play an utterly painful amount of hours to grind gold. It's no different from any F2P game model.

As for incentive for the higher end of players - one would think Blizzard would have the idea to form some leagues/tournaments once the game is live. It's their ticket to finally crack the e-sports scene. Whether they can cash it in properly is another thing altogether.
Old 2014-01-22, 09:05   Link #25
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
As for more to do - that's just fantasy. They'll give you some stuff to do. But if you really want to get it all, you will either have to drop a bundle of IRL money or play an utterly painful amount of hours to grind gold. It's no different from any F2P game model.
It's more of the problem that after getting various decks to play in Casual, I don't really feel like doing anything else. Ranked matches are just kind of boring currently, and I could only enjoy arena because I have to utilize what I get to the best and I don't know what I am going to face.

It may change when more cards get released, though.
Old 2014-01-22, 19:30   Link #26
Wigwams

Blizz said they will release rewards once everyone has a chance to earn them, since open beta is now here its possible next season will start having rewards.
Old 2014-03-05, 06:37   Link #27
Dark Wing

so played the beta not that impressed I think I have seen this game done before already.
Old 2014-03-17, 10:11   Link #28
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Well, they did institute a 1 minute grace period to allow for the obvious d/cons people were suffering. And they balanced out a few other cards people were spamming. Enough to get me to play it casually.

Pulled an Edwin Van Cleef legendary last week although I seriously need a lot more for a proper Rogue deck. Mage is probably the best one I've got in constructed. Paladin and Shaman are also in a decent state.

Had an 11-3 arena run tonight on Rogue.

Spoiler for Screenshot of decklist:
Old 2014-03-17, 10:32   Link #29
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

^ My decks never seem to end up having mana curves that look like that. It seems like every time I make a pick like Boulderfist Ogre over Faerie Dragon, the game decides to curse me and never presents another playable 2 drop for the rest of the draft. I'm just going to have to start valuing good 2 drops above all other minions I guess.

My current Paladin deck is sitting at 7-1 with an insane 4 Truesilver Champions, but my low end is so bad that I have double Kobold Geomancer as my only plays before turn 4. The game I lost was against a mage who played Water Elementals turns 4, 5, and 6. Pretty much the perfect counter to Champion. (Though any deck with a good early game should crush me; I was super lucky to even get 7 wins so far).
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-17, 11:48   Link #30
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
^ My decks never seem to end up having mana curves that look like that. It seems like every time I make a pick like Boulderfist Ogre over Faerie Dragon, the game decides to curse me and never presents another playable 2 drop for the rest of the draft. I'm just going to have to start valuing good 2 drops above all other minions I guess.

My current Paladin deck is sitting at 7-1 with an insane 4 Truesilver Champions, but my low end is so bad that I have double Kobold Geomancer as my only plays before turn 4. The game I lost was against a mage who played Water Elementals turns 4, 5, and 6. Pretty much the perfect counter to Champion. (Though any deck with a good early game should crush me; I was super lucky to even get 7 wins so far).
Watch how Trump does his drafts on Youtube. The guy regularly goes high, has a fair few runs of 12 under his belt and only a few garbage runs. From what I've seen, his better runs have around a 50-60% content in the 2-4 cost range and around 8 cards that are 5+ in cost. His lists of priority picks on rarity scales on LiquidHearth are also quite useful. Kripparian is probably the other one that's 'useful' to follow.

Even someone like Trump would admit to get to 12 or close to it, you need a ridiculously good draft, some luck in-game and some stupidity from your opponents. Getting a knack for efficient trading is essential. I was 1-2 after 3 games in my run and thought I was doomed. But I stuck to believing efficient trading would make up for falling behind early and it certainly did. Trump and other pros go on the mentality of cards in hand matter more than current health remaining. That's something I had to learn from experience to appreciate. Also remembering what game-breaking cards are in play after their cost turn goes live. Forcing someone to waste Consecration, Flamestrike or the like is a big moment, or having them run 2 minions into a Chillwind Yeti to clear the board. And mentality in Arena has to shift - cards that are mediocre in Constructed can suddenly dominate in Arena because it's less likely the ability to negate them will be in hand for the opponent, or that they have enough. RNG/lucky draw will always happen, but that's the fun part of Arena. You never know what you'll end up with or how it will go.
Old 2014-03-17, 12:19   Link #31
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I already watch Trump almost daily and my 15+ years of playing Magic the Gathering already taught me concepts like Cards > Life Total. My issue is just putting into practice what I know. Mainly, this:
Quote:
Also remembering what game-breaking cards are in play after their cost turn goes live.
I need to actually start listening to my brain when it tells me NOT to play just one more minion against a mage about to hit 7 mana or a hunter who almost certainly has Unleash the Hounds. As opposed to thinking "well, I will have incredible board control if I play this guy and he doesn't have that card..."

I also tend to out-think myself and end up missing really obvious plays sometimes. Luck is often not on my side as well (I have only seen 1 Frostbolt and 1 Fireball total out of 3 mage drafts) but I prefer not to blame that too much, at the risk of drifting into "scrub" mentality.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-17, 18:27   Link #32
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Hmm, think I might have to steal that Deck Last, lol... give it a try.

Admittedly since the game went release its been win central for old players, friend went 19 wins in a row in Constructed play a couple days ago.
Old 2014-03-22, 08:17   Link #33
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It was a bit trying to resist spending dust while saving up.

But...it's going to be SO WORTH IT!

Spoiler for BY FIRE BE PURGED!!!:
Old 2014-03-22, 20:41   Link #34
lightbringer
M9000

I tried this for a while, because some friends were raving about it. For a beta it's quite polished already. But it's too casual and the gameplay just didn't do it for me, I have no motivation to keep playing after getting a few rare cards, building a deck or two and playing a few dozen games. But it's responsible for dragging me back into the mindless grind of Diablo 3 so I guess something good(?) did happen from playing it.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 21:17   Link #35
Kreceir

is Ddos possible in this game?

I was about to win against someone and when I put my winning card on the field I suddenly lost Connection for about 2-3 minutes, resulting me in a forced 10-3 run...

I'm just a bit salty about it.
Old 2014-03-22, 22:33   Link #36
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
is Ddos possible in this game?

I was about to win against someone and when I put my winning card on the field I suddenly lost Connection for about 2-3 minutes, resulting me in a forced 10-3 run...

I'm just a bit salty about it.
Their client was rather unstable during beta. It's better now and they did put in the 1 minute grace period.

If Ddosing was happening, Trump and Kripparrian would be getting targetted a lot while streaming, surely. Ghost cheating is the more likely scenario when it comes to Hearthstone.
Old 2014-03-22, 23:07   Link #37
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, certainly had some issues in beta. Had a great arena run busted up thanks to the client. Haven't played in a while so not sure how much more stable it's gotten.
Old 2014-03-23, 08:42   Link #38
Destined_Fate

Tried to play it but the download is so slow. I left it out overnight and it was not even at 20% done!

Yet I can download Diablo 3 in a couple hours if even at that!
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 08:54   Link #39
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I do remember some claim of DDoS or some bug, where you could force your opponent to DC, but they fixed it last I heard.
Old 2014-03-24, 09:46   Link #40
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Class Power Rankings at present on Ranked as rated by the pros

And they're quite accurate. Warlock deserves to be #1 - being able to crank Murloc Aggro AND Giants n Drakes Control is just devastating. Hard to assemble either deck but just devastating. Mage's lack of natural synergy at 3-5 cost is why it's last - although that doesn't deter me from playing it. Went 5 for 5 in my daily games tonight on Mage. And Trump making it to Legendary Rank on EU with a 'Budget' Mage deck shows skill can outdo having better cards. Still, it's undeniable Warlocks are absurb at the moment, as are Shamans, Druids and Warriors to a close extent.