Notices

Old 2008-02-14, 06:49   Link #1181
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
edited
Take it to photoshop, go to Image / Mode, set it to a 8bit channel, now save for web should give you 29kb.
Not an awful lot of options there too. D:

Anyways, I'll just conclude that the problem lies with my side.
Dang! I had hope for a hidden Photobucket feature.

p.s. I saved the above image as a PNG because the file size was smaller than if I had saved it under "JPEG-High" settings. I just don't understand my Photoshop anymore.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 19:45   Link #1182
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I just got a neutral rep point and there is a flower in it, and it says it's from Kairin. So what is this flower thing?
Old 2008-02-14, 19:55   Link #1183
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

A gift from Kairin...? She's kind like that...

Oh ok, so really it was just an experiment. I'm surprised you noticed, it isn't "worth" any reputation and I planned to remove it before anyone noticed. it has already been removed, so apologies for the confusion.

Why would I do such a thing? Well, a while ago someone, probably Cats, suggested we automate the discussion thread creation by having "Kairin" post them. While this was rejected because we prefer to customize the posts for the target forum, I did create Kairin an account and I've been looking at possible future areas she could be brought into the forum and made a little more proponent, it was just part of looking into that.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 20:05   Link #1184
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post

Oh ok, so really it was just an experiment. I'm surprised you noticed, it isn't "worth" any reputation and I planned to remove it before anyone noticed. it has already been removed, so apologies for the confusion.

Why would I do such a thing? Well, a while ago someone, probably Cats, suggested we automate the discussion thread creation by having "Kairin" post them. While this was rejected because we prefer to customize the posts for the target forum, I did create Kairin an account and I've been looking at possible future areas she could be brought into the forum and made a little more proponent, it was just part of looking into that.
Kairin is a random semi-spammer then? ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 20:05   Link #1185
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:

Oh ok, so really it was just an experiment. I'm surprised you noticed... it isn't "worth" any reputation and I planned to remove it before anyone noticed.

A while ago someone, probably Cats, suggested we automate the discussion thread creation by having "Kairin" post them... while this was rejected because we prefer to customize the posts for the target forum, I did create Kairin an account and I've been looking at possible future areas she could be brought into the forum more... the rep was just one such investigation.
It's gone now , kinda made me feel bit special . Oh well, I guess I should feel honored for being used for AS' experiment?
Old 2008-02-14, 20:10   Link #1186
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Don't Worry ...Your Not Alone ...I Have Too...
After Seen It For The First Time...I Was Searching For This Kairin Member..I Couldn't Find Any..^^
But Now It Gone From UCP..
Old 2008-02-14, 20:23   Link #1187
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Kairin is a random semi-spammer then? ^_^
Now you're just being mean... she works hard for the AnimeSuki. If you want to call it spam blame me or the forum software...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
It's gone now , kinda made me feel bit special
Sorry about that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
Don't Worry ...Your Not Alone
304 people were affected, the selection was based on a number of factors I won't go into. I just picked a rose because it seemed fitting.

The purpose was originally just technical and performance related, but I guess it has also gauged user response, which was quicker and more confused than I expected though so... oops.

Maybe having Kairin do things really will just confuse people more. Incidentally, Kairin does exist as a proper member now though, so I'm not sure why you couldn't find her.
Old 2008-02-14, 20:29   Link #1188
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Maybe having Kairin do things really will just confuse people more. Incidentally, Kairin does exist as a proper member now though, so I'm not sure why you couldn't find her.
I Guess Maybe I Did The Search In The Wrong Place
Old 2008-02-14, 21:52   Link #1189
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Now you're just being mean... she works hard for the AnimeSuki. If you want to call it spam blame me or the forum software... Sorry about that...304 people were affected, the selection was based on a number of factors I won't go into. I just picked a rose because it seemed fitting.

The purpose was originally just technical and performance related, but I guess it has also gauged user response, which was quicker and more confused than I expected though so... oops.

Nah it wasn't confusing, it was just strange because I never seen anything like that before. I don't think it will confuse anyone, though I think it could work great if used well. For instance we could have Kairin congratulate the winner of the sig competition or with the banner contest.
Old 2008-02-14, 22:02   Link #1190
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Q. Why is it that when I look at the moon when the earths shadow is covering half of it, it appears to cut it precisely in half?!
If the earth is round (well close enough) why isn't the shadow a little rounded as well?
Old 2008-02-14, 22:08   Link #1191
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The earth isn't covering half of it, unless you're talking about during a lunar eclipse, in which case it will be rounded, though it is hard to tell because the shadow is often not perfect and results in a discolouration of the moon (very red the last time I observed it here).

In the normal lunar cycle, the moon's darkness is simply the side is facing away from the sun. Seen from the earth, that is either all black (moon is between us and the sun), all white (we're between it and the sun) or a split, we're seeing half and half (or the phases between). See the linked wikipedia page for a nice diagram.
Old 2008-02-14, 22:13   Link #1192
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Oh now I get it, it's not that the earths shadow is weird it's that what I'm seeing it actually the moon lit up by the sun on one side, hence the perfect cut.
Thanks NightWish.
Old 2008-02-14, 22:25   Link #1193
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Wouldn't the shadow be skewed anyway? Since we are looking at the mere shadow of the Earth to the Moon from so many miles away. We wouldn't be able to see the detail leaving only assuming that the shadow is a perfect line.

Same as drawing at high res and shrinking it to reduce the amount of "visable" errors in the drawing.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-02-14, 22:30   Link #1194
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The earth is pretty damn big. If you look at the pictures in the wiki link provided by NightWish you'll see that if it's the earths shadow covering half (of the visible) moon, the line between light and dark is curved.

Or is it that's the other way round ~ Hm.
Old 2008-02-15, 00:26   Link #1195
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

I wish Muir Woods was still here ^^, he could explain all of this for us. Too bad he left about a year ago. He is an astronomy major ^^

Now I got that depressive feeling now. You know when people are moving away?

Old 2008-02-15, 06:10   Link #1196
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
The earth is pretty damn big. If you look at the pictures in the wiki link provided by NightWish you'll see that if it's the earths shadow covering half (of the visible) moon, the line between light and dark is curved.
Wrong link You meant to use the Eclipse link when talking about Earth's shadow, right?

To clarify: The normal phases of the moon have nothing to do with the earth casting a shadow, it is all about how a half-lit spheroid (the moon) looks from a fixed point (the earth), as it orbits that fixed point. The curvature of the terminator (line between dark and light) is determined by the angle at which you are looking at the Moon and the fact the Moon is a sphere.

Occasionally the Earth does cast a shadow on the Moon, but that is an eclipse. Different thing.
Old 2008-02-15, 13:09   Link #1197
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Wrong link You meant to use the Eclipse link when talking about Earth's shadow, right?

To clarify: The normal phases of the moon have nothing to do with the earth casting a shadow, it is all about how a half-lit spheroid (the moon) looks from a fixed point (the earth), as it orbits that fixed point. The curvature of the terminator (line between dark and light) is determined by the angle at which you are looking at the Moon and the fact the Moon is a sphere.

Occasionally the Earth does cast a shadow on the Moon, but that is an eclipse. Different thing.
Yupp thats it... its too far for our eyes to actually have enough 3D seperation, so it appears as a sphere lit from the side that is projected to a plane and therefore appears like a sickle.
Old 2008-02-16, 00:03   Link #1198
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

This got me thinking while watching Surface. If you were stranded and all you have was a radio and you got a signal but you only speak English and French but the other person on the other side doesn't speak either and you cannot distinguish what the other side is speaking or understand it. What kind of "universal" language can you use for help? SOS? Mayday? yell like an idiot?

Old 2008-02-16, 00:44   Link #1199
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
This got me thinking while watching Surface. If you were stranded and all you have was a radio and you got a signal but you only speak English and French but the other person on the other side doesn't speak either and you cannot distinguish what the other side is speaking or understand it. What kind of "universal" language can you use for help? SOS? Mayday? yell like an idiot?
hmm....

well yelling will either get you rescued, or it may more than likely persuade others that you are insane and to stay the hell away lol

In the meantime~
http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-on-a-Desert-Island
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 01:43   Link #1200
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
hmm.. Surface .. No 2nd season .. very sad puppy here ._.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious