AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-28, 01:45   Link #1
Kori-Maru

The Great War of Cherry Blossoms: The "Sakura Wars" English Playthrough Thread

Special Thanks to Greenhowse from the NeoGaf and GameFaqs forums for the picture/
Youtube Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHVCmJHE8Tk

The idea of the playthrough was inspired by a forumer named "SpiritArmor" from SomethingAwful.com who is currently playing through the remake of the first game "In Hot Blood" which was released for the PS2 and the series of campaign from the awesome NiGHTS fanbase. I've edited the videos with English subtitles.

What is Sakura Wars?
Sakura Wars is a dramatic adventure game created by Ouji Hiroi along with Kosuke Fujishima (character designer), and Satoru Akahori (character background). The games were also produced and directed by former SEGA employee, Noriyoshi Ohba, who was known for producing our favorite SEGA classic franchises such as Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Clockwork Knight, Skies of Arcadia, and Blood Will Tell within SEGA AM7/Overworks. The game was released for the Sega Saturn on September 27, 1996 and sold out on the first day becoming very successful in Japan later spawning several sequels, stage plays, animes, merchandise, and a freakin cafe (which closed in 2008 unfortunately)

What type of game is it and how does it play?
Sakura Wars is a mixture of a simulated dating sim and strategy. The series actually has good storytelling (2 & 3 are my favs). The dating sim portion (LIPS ~ Live Interaction Picture System) is where you talk to the members of your team in order to gain (or lose) trust points from them. Think of it as a static version of Binary Domain. Depending on how your team member trusts you will reflect during battle mode. Battle mode is the strategy part of the game. The first two games focus on a grid system turn based gameplay similar to Shining Force while later games focus in a free movement with a limited bar gauge called ARMS (Active and Real-time Machine System)

What's the plot of the series?
In a nutshell, you'll be playing as the main character who is captain of a kagekidan (Assault Force) who leads a group of female fighters who have strong spritual powers and pilot steam powered robots called "Koubu" to defend your city against demons. Also, it's an alternate timeline where technology is powered by steam.

Why are you playing through the game?
To introduce people who are new to the series, the fans, and a friend who's goal is to get the first four games localized in the West to PC (Heck, I wouldn't mind for it to be ported to mobile) If you don't know what Sakura Wars is, be sure to check this thread.

How popular is it then and now?
It's pretty super popular!....... in Japan. I would say it's as much popular as Sonic the Hedgehog. However, it does have a cult following in the West. I remember back in the 90's when the Dreamcast was launched, there we're tons of fansites out there.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-05-01 at 02:22.
Old 2013-04-28, 01:57   Link #2
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Sakura Taisen. Oooh boy. Cue nostalgia fanboy squealing.

I still haven't played the PS2 version of ST1 with the updated battle system reminiscent of the newer titles. orz
Old 2013-04-29, 00:30   Link #3
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Once you're done with the main series, are you also considering doing the side games like Mysterious Paris?
Old 2013-04-29, 01:06   Link #4
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Well well look what we got here. Nostalgic overload.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
Old 2013-04-29, 16:38   Link #5
Kori-Maru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
Once you're done with the main series, are you also considering doing the side games like Mysterious Paris?
I was thinking about doing that starting with Hanagumi Columns.
Old 2013-04-29, 23:28   Link #6
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Good times. *sniff*

...Man, just looking back on this series makes me feel so decrepit and old all of a sudden.
Old 2013-04-30, 11:37   Link #7
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ah Sakura Wars. I remember the anime very well.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-30, 11:42   Link #8
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I don't really mean to rain on your parade, but isn't Sega reluctant to release this particular IP to the west for some reason? At least that's what I remember; I don't really know any specifics.
Old 2013-04-30, 12:02   Link #9
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

There was one english release: Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love.
Old 2013-04-30, 16:12   Link #10
Kori-Maru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemisphere View Post
I don't really mean to rain on your parade, but isn't Sega reluctant to release this particular IP to the west for some reason? At least that's what I remember; I don't really know any specifics.
Some what, I think it has something to do with the Western branch of Sega I think. I might have a feeling that all might change since their are a couple of people that wants some of Sega of Japan titles. Just recently, Sega West asked fans to share and like if they want them to localize Hatsune Miku. That's a start at least!

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-05-01 at 02:25.
Old 2013-04-30, 21:42   Link #11
cj_iwakura
The Rhythm Rogue

Send a message via AIM to cj_iwakura
As I understand it, So Long My Love was the big gamble.

It failed. Big time. Sakura Wars 'fans' did it no favors by saying it was the worst one in the series.

Even the 'worst' Sakura Wars was still a fantastic game.
Old 2013-05-01, 02:06   Link #12
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_iwakura View Post
As I understand it, So Long My Love was the big gamble.

It failed. Big time. Sakura Wars 'fans' did it no favors by saying it was the worst one in the series.

Even the 'worst' Sakura Wars was still a fantastic game.
-_- I happen to be a long time Sakura wars fan, and I would like you to show me sources where Sakura Wars fans said Sakura Taisen V was the worst one in the series....When Sakura Taisen 4 was clearly the worst out of all the main games in the series.

Sakura Taisen V while not on par with the likes of Sakura Taisen 2, Sakura Taisen 3 or even the remake of Sakura Taisen 1 it was still a pretty decent game, hell it was a HUGE improvement over the wasted potential that Sakura Taisen 4 had, at it least Sakura Taisen 5 was properly developed and not rushed out the door and half assed like Sakura Taisen 4 was.

About the only thing in my opinion that Sakura Taisen V needed to make it complete was the inclusion of Mini games and a proper extra mode with extra goodies. I was very surprised there wasn't a tournament style mini game in Sakura Taisen 5.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
Old 2013-05-01, 02:16   Link #13
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

This section is not meant for people to post personal reviews or playtroughs that are basically the same thing. If someone wants to discuss this game, then please perform a search to see if there's already a thread for this game or create one if none exists.

Again, please do not try to use our gaming section as a gaming blog of sorts.

Asking people to suscribe to Facebook or Twitter pages is againts our rules, so don't do that either.

Thread locked.