AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-25, 09:56   Link #61
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Its only 11 bucks >_> go mow someones lawn

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2011-03-25 at 10:07.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 10:23   Link #62
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Its only 11 bucks >_> go mow someones lawn
I can buy the movie when it comes out on video for $20 and watch it 200 times. If you don't think $11.50 is a lot for a movie then you have little grasp for the value of a dollar.
Old 2011-03-25, 10:53   Link #63
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I can buy the movie when it comes out on video for $20 and watch it 200 times. If you don't think $11.50 is a lot for a movie then you have little grasp for the value of a dollar.
Well, I don't know about you, but I don't have a theater sized screen in my house.

Still, I have to agree. I think $10+ is a bit much even for a theater viewing, and I make $12 an hour.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 12:17   Link #64
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

They gotta make money for spending what ever they spent to make it, they also have topay the workers at the theaters for cleanin up your messes,serve your food etc.

I grasp how much effort goes into making them, 12 bucks is a fair amount... now 5 freakin bucks for a large drink which they fill with ice is bull
Old 2011-03-25, 12:53   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
They gotta make money for spending what ever they spent to make it, they also have topay the workers at the theaters for cleanin up your messes,serve your food etc.

I grasp how much effort goes into making them, 12 bucks is a fair amount... now 5 freakin bucks for a large drink which they fill with ice is bull
The theater sees very little of that $12, usually only about 10% .... that's *why* the drink is $5.

Most of the $12 goes into the pockets of the studio who then proceed to play demonic accounting games so that any of the cast/crew/staff who are paid on percentage see diddly-squat.

There are *huge* profits that vanish into the void of a few pockets from these movies... and I hear the price is hitting $15 in some parts of the US.

Yeah we never go to the theater unless we have coupons, its matinee, or a second-run theater. Then its only for the "big screen" type of movies.
Old 2011-03-25, 13:43   Link #66
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I only see movies that REALLLY interest me, like district 9 (totally worth the 20bucks)

And also why I'll wait to pira- er I mean rent....yess.... rent...
Old 2011-03-25, 13:44   Link #67
yeahitschris

anyone of ya'll see this movie yet? im planning on seeing it tomorrow
Old 2011-03-25, 15:47   Link #68
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

the critics are rippin this movie a new one

"Dark, dreary and action-packed CGI epic must count on fanboy culture to respond in a big way."
Old 2011-03-25, 16:33   Link #69
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahitschris View Post
anyone of ya'll see this movie yet? im planning on seeing it tomorrow
I have...and I haven't quite decided if I like the film or not. The film is severely flawed, but very ambitious. Read as a examination (and somewhat a condemnation) of the voyeuristic nature toward women in mainstream action films, Sucker Punch is a very difficult, and even a little complex, film. But, the acting is so bland (especially compared to the wonderful set-pieces), and the plot so non-sensical at times, that even the ambitious nature of the film can't really save the effort. Still, this isn't entirely the fault of the director (Zack Snyder), or at least not for the reasons a director normally fails.

Specifically, for whatever reason, Snyder wished to screen the film as PG-13. Consequently, much of the film has been edited down (and if you read the entertainment sheets, quite a few important scenes were simply cut from the film in order to attain the PG-13 rating), which begs the question as to why Snyder felt he had to potentially ruin his film just to get a few extra viewers (especially considering the film is relatively low-budget compared to other action titles (somewhere around 75 million, which will be easily made up in America and overseas)).

Whatever the case, I would recommend seeing the film, if only for the visual charm, but it might be best to wait to see the director's cut when it is released in 5-6 months. Until then, I will tentatively give the film a 60/100 (which is a C on my grading scale)

Last edited by james0246; 2011-03-25 at 21:41.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 20:14   Link #70
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

So, it was actually cut up that badly? Can't wait for the cuts to be restored.
Old 2011-03-25, 20:25   Link #71
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Guess I'll wait for the director's cut. Problem solved, lol.
Old 2011-03-25, 23:10   Link #72
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
Sorry but somebody already posted it earlier.

Next time, check the threads before you post.
Old 2011-03-25, 23:14   Link #73
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Just came from seeing it.

I agree with james0246, the movie fails in a lot of places but not really because of the director.

Among the highs, the general direction and especially sound direction are excellent. This is no surprise though, considering how 300 and Watchmen were in that respect. The action scenes were vibrant and they all maintained a common aesthetic pretty handsomely, despite the different themes.

The story is pretty nonsensical though, and does a lot to get you bored midways through the movie, and the girls obviously aren't up to par with her roles.

The best part of the movie is probably the scene with the mayor. The whole scene, and especially the actor doing the mayor part made me laugh out loud in recognition of what they wanted to show.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 00:20   Link #74
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Wow... ok... um... I was really kind of expecting a lousy movie that I would enjoy. What I got was what seemed like a pretty good movie that I hated.

The thing that really killed it for me wasn't the fact that it was predictable in every way from one second to the next, or that anyone who hasn't been lobotomized could tell you the ending almost scene for scene after the first ten minutes, or the rather limp acting, or the obtrusive soundtrack (which I really liked, but still thought was obtrusive), or even the way the show was rather obviously neutered. It was the action scenes. Right after the first one, when I realized that

Spoiler for maybe a plot spoiler:

That being said, in my opinion this would have been better off as a series of music videos with no plot at all. I haven't been this disappointed by going to see a movie in a theater since "Orphan" weenied out by turned the girl into a psychotic dwarf at the last minute.

But, then again, it turned out to be the exact opposite of the kind of movie I enjoy, so... maybe other people will like it, because it does seem to be a good show.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 00:23   Link #75
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
That being said, in my opinion this would have been better off as a series of music videos with no plot at all.
That's EXACTLY the same I was thinking during the movie.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 05:09   Link #76
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Sorry but somebody already posted it earlier.

Next time, check the threads before you post.
Great, I didn't knew that somebody posted that before I did. *Remove post*
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 06:54   Link #77
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I will watch this one too for the plot

Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 17:15   Link #78
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I wasnt being mean about it you know, I wanted to see a movie really bad but didnt have the cash, so i offered my nextdoornabor to mow his lawn for cash for a ticket. You gotta do what you gotta do to get by. tellin someone to mow someones lawn for extra cash isnt a insult, its a tip
Old 2011-03-26, 17:38   Link #79
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
ANN: Japanese dub done by Minako Kotobuki, Ayahi Takagaki, Haruka Tomatsu and Aki Toyosaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
^I can't help but lol knowing Vanessa will be voiced by Aki in Japanese.
Vanessa has a beautiful voice, not a childish cute one.
waa? ohh man I gotta see this when it comes out in Japanese dub! lol thats two of the main characters from K-ON!! voices in Sucker Punch! I wounder how there cute voices will fit in
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 00:36   Link #80
yeahitschris

just saw this myself... i think i over-hyped it >_>; and you guys were right about the music lol... the first 10 mins or so there was little / almost NO talking, mostly music