Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2022-12-12, 07:37   Link #81
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I think it's more to prevent the movie being all over the internet within a day. I own Your Name, Garden of Words and Beyond the Clouds, so I'll get Suzume if it ends up good, but Weathering With You leaves me with some concern.
It's around Weathering's level for me. Which is still better than a lot of stuff, granted
Old 2022-12-21, 09:03   Link #82
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I finally took the time to watch this the other day, and overall, I really enjoyed it. Of course, it was also the first film by Makoto Shinkai that I've actually seen, so I don't exactly have any better or worse movies to compare it to. On that note, while I haven't seen Tenki no Ko, I know how it goes... I say this because Suzume no Tojimari felt like Tenki no Ko with heavy influences of Howl's Moving Castle.

Spoiler for Suzume no Tojimari:

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-24, 00:01   Link #83
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I finally took the time to watch this the other day, and overall, I really enjoyed it. Of course, it was also the first film by Makoto Shinkai that I've actually seen, so I don't exactly have any better or worse movies to compare it to. On that note, while I haven't seen Tenki no Ko, I know how it goes... I say this because Suzume no Tojimari felt like Tenki no Ko with heavy influences of Howl's Moving Castle.

Spoiler for Suzume no Tojimari:
Spoiler:
Old 2023-02-14, 18:34   Link #84
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Shinkai turned 50. Thought he was closer to 40. Oh well. 2 months to Suzume being in cinemas.
Old 2023-02-15, 06:52   Link #85
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

He's 50? Damn, I also thought he was closer to 40.

I guess that only doing movies (and maybe any side projects) has hopefully helped him keep healthy.

Old 2023-02-15, 09:12   Link #86
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

This article was what notified me of that.
Old 2023-02-24, 06:45   Link #87
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's no secret on this forum that I'm not the greatest fan of Shinkai's most recent movies. But I was in Tokushima, and stumbled on a ufotable cinema, and Suzume was screening, so I thought, why not?

In short, I liked it! In my opinion, it seems that Shinkai has finally found his footing, years after turning into his new creative direction. He was able to combine his trademark artistic style with a much more tightly written and cohesive narrative. As a result, the deeper meaning of the story came across much more clearly, and it was also delivered with a stronger emotive punch.

It goes without saying that the background art was excellent, as can be expected of any Shinkai movie. But what's also noticeable is the quantum leap in animation quality. The successive years of commercial success has likely translated into more resources for Shinkai to invest in smoother animation. There were several scenes where the higher frame rate allowed for incredibly fluid movement, while still successfully conveying weight and momentum. The flying scenes were especially good as a result.

The soundtrack, as usual, was excellent. Radwimps are at the top of their game, and they have again contributed memorable songs for a Shinkai movie.

The movie is not without flaws. Like Magin, I felt that
Spoiler for plot details:

I think Suzume was actually at about the right length. It was already starting to waffle a bit towards the end, so a longer run time would probably have caused more harm than good I think.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the movie's release in Singapore on March 9th, so I can watch it again with subtitles.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-24, 07:41   Link #88
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I'm seeing this movie have reviews flash across my phone every day now. Waiting until mid-April is going to be a grind.
Old 2023-02-28, 22:46   Link #89
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Shinkai turned 50. Thought he was closer to 40. Oh well. 2 months to Suzume being in cinemas.
I...thought he was like 40-something at most too....
Old 2023-03-01, 00:39   Link #90
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I'm honestly thinking Shinkai turning 40 was a catalyst or secret unlock for proper recognition of his work, given Garden of Words was a decade ago.

Suzume has overtaken Jujutsu Kaisen 0 on the all-time revenue list.
Old 2023-03-09, 12:31   Link #91
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

"Suzume" officially opened in Singapore today (March 9) with English and Chinese subtitles, and I was able to catch the first available screening at a cinema near my home. The novelty, of course, was no longer there on the second viewing, but on the other hand, I now have a better grasp of the plot development. I still feel that the movie started sagging in the third act, but I also now have a clearer idea of why the plot developed in that particular way.

As mentioned, there are by now multiple professional reviews available online. What's interesting to me is that there seems to be at least a couple of reviewers who feel that the writing in Suzume is stronger than it was in Shinkai's previous two efforts, with less reliance on mawkish sentimentality, and a better integration of themes and emotional beats with character and narrative flow.

So, there's really nothing new for me to add, in terms of a critical review. What I'll do instead is leave some thoughts on specific points in the show, and reflect on why some parts of Suzume resonated with me on a personal level.

All the following notes are huge spoilers, so I would recommend that you don't read them until you've watched the movie and formed your own conclusions about the story.

Spoiler for tributes and references:

Spoiler for closing doors and finding closure:

Spoiler for plot device relating to earthquakes and keystones:

Spoiler for why parts of the movie resonated with me:

Finally, one last note: I was given this complimentary booklet when I bought my Suzume ticket at the ufotable cinema in Tokushima.

Of course, it's all in Japanese. If there's anyone who wants to give a stab at translating it or, better yet, who already knows where to find an existing scanlation, let me know.
Old 2023-03-09, 22:28   Link #92
Marina2

To people who have watched it. Are they any cameo appearance from other Shinkai film?
Old 2023-03-11, 12:10   Link #93
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Welp, looks like we're firmly in the post-Your Name era, and the good old days of 5cm per second and Garden of Words will remain in the past.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-16, 03:18   Link #94
Eater of All
NOM

I'll need a second watch to thoroughly digest my thoughts, but one scene I did find neat is
Spoiler:
Old 2023-04-18, 09:32   Link #95
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Well, I've seen it. And...oh boy...

Spoiler for At least it was better than Weathering With You?:
Old 2023-04-18, 18:37   Link #96
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Unlike most people here, I absolutely loved Weathering with You (probably my #3 Shinkai movie), which to be fair dampened my enjoyment of Suzume.

But yeah, I didn't even know Suzume was airing, as I was on 'anime hiatus' for a couple of years (mainly because the most of the osananajimi focused animes in the past few years, ex. Bakarina and Tomo-chan just to name a couple, I've already read the manga/LN long ago). Been binging on Kdramas and more to the topic, Vtubers, of which IrYs mentioned she has seen it a few weeks back. Considering part of the reason why I follow IrYs is because she's a big shipper at heart, and she didn't like the ship in Suzume, I was heavily intrigued. Cue in the movie showing in my neck of the woods this past week, so I decided to check it out.

And at the beginning? Didn't see what IrYs was talking about. Souta was cool, and Suzume is IMO one of the coolest heroine Makoto has made. And aesthetic-wise, IMO SoutaXSuzume is the handsomest/prettiest couple that Makoto has ever made in his career.

But near the middle, I see what she was getting at. While Irys didn't specifically say why she didn't ship the main couple (for spoiler reasons), I personally didn't see how Suzume fell head over heels in love with him. Or heck, I didn't even see her connect with him on a deeper level, to the point that she will risk life and limb to rescue him. Like girl, you travelling across Japan and maybe even endangering millions of people just to rescue some hot ikemen you met not even a week ago? Yeah, can't suspend my disbelief on that one; not that girls chasing down hot guys doesn't happen IRL (goodness knows I know how crazy Kpop fans can get), but within the narrative, it didn't click with me.

First third of the movie is fine, middle of the movie I was left perplexed as to Suzume's motivations, but the last third was a mess. How Suzume met not only Serizawa but her Aunt in the middle of Tokyo left me rolling my eyes several times, then they have to slide in Aunt's "negative thoughts" of raising Suzume felt like a cheap attempt to try to get us to be emotional. Yeah, didn't buy the last third of the movie AT ALL.

So overall, IMO not one of Shinkai's best work; heck I will rank Suzume for sure in the bottome half, if not the bottom quarter. But it wasn't all bad - the adventure part of the story made even a homebody like me want to go out on a road trip or something. Maybe I'll go camping during the summer or something?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-18, 19:36   Link #97
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Personally, I'd place this at #3, with 2 being Your Name and, unlike a lot of people here, Weathering With You at number 1 (though honestly they're really close, and I like to think of them as a pair with alternate themes). But still, saying that this isn't as good as those two is really not saying much negative about it. Those two set the bar really, really high and it's hard to go past it.

In terms of the couple's romance, I thought it was fine, though it does fall into the problem that many movies have: far too little time to buy that they're truly in love. In Your Name and Weathering, the pair are depicted spending long periods of time getting to know each other, and even if we're merely given montages and such to demonstrate that time is passing it still adds weight to their later feelings and makes the changes in their feelings feel gradual where stories set over maybe a week or two (like a number of "chick flicks") have no less time yet manage to feel far less believable and far more rash, something which this one does suffer from. Still, I enjoyed it even if it was a little "rushed".

One thing is I was honestly expecting a different ending.
Spoiler:
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-19, 11:08   Link #98
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

That ending might've happened if we were pre- Your Name.

Short version of my thoughts are, it depends on if you like the major themes present in 5cm and Garden of words- not just of separation, but also that life doesn't always have happy endings- well, the last three films have NOT been in line with those. For any more of this discussion, I will refer you back to the first two pages of this thread.

Personally, that's why I won't touch 5cm of Garden or Words, and while I know the ending, am also hesitant to touch Your Name. You can argue that 5cm and Garden represent the "true" Shinkai, but even if that is true... notice how only the films post- Your name are in the general public knowledge, but you almost never hear about the others? To go back to the discussion that is on the first two pages... I feel like 5cm and Garden ended up becoming "art for art's sake" (yes, I know that's an entire can of worms on its own), whereas Your Name and so on are now "This is what the public likes, so I'm going to make more of them."

Old 2023-04-19, 13:51   Link #99
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Well, what I'd say in response is that I'm glad to learn that Shinkai himself is getting tired of making teenage/young-adult romances.
Quote:
I personally felt a little bit tired of telling the very traditional romance story. I felt that in "Your Name." I [did] everything that I possibly could in terms of "boy meets girl" and "will they, won't they, will they meet". That element of romance is very relatable to the masses, which is why it was a subject matter that resonated with a large audience.

Personally, because I've done that so many times, I pivoted. I wanted to pivot to a more sisterhood type of romantic story, but I had to change that because my producer said, "You may be tired of these romantic stories, but your audience loves it." So in order to not make it too much of a romance, I decided to make her primary interest a chair.
Imagine that. Suzume could have been a lesbian romance (I highly doubt it would have been the kind of romance that the LGBTQ community would have cheered for, but who knows? It's all moot).

I don't even know if there's anyone presumptuous enough to think that they know what is "true" Shinkai. The man has changed (quite possibly because of his self-reflection in the aftermath of 3-11). I remain disappointed to this day that he has changed, but such is life. Wishing otherwise won't bring back the past, any more than I could wish U-2 back to their Joshua Tree days. I'd be curious if those who claim to love him because of Your Name. and Weathering With You would be as forgiving once he makes another full pivot.

I for one am looking forward to it. Shinkai is only getting older and wiser, and I want to see him tackling more substantial themes in the future, rather than continue making more fluffy feel-good movies with not much depth. Suzume, to me, represents a good start in that direction.
Old 2023-04-19, 15:32   Link #100
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I understand some people may prefer not to write happy endings. That is the most common way to end. At the same time however, it's a mistake to think that happy endings are "all alike" or anything. If an author feels that he is able to come closer to the image he wants to convey by having a sad ending, that too is fine. However, yeah I myself don't enjoy that sort of thing and thus rarely even bother to watch/read stories I know end with a downer, especially if it's a complete downer where one of the major characters is just left alone with neither the happiness he sought nor any clearly available alternate happiness.

But I will say, if Shinkai wanted to write a story about dear friends who loved each other like sisters (or brothers, or brother and sister), I have no doubt he would make something beautiful, and I'd have no problem reading it. Heck, if the dear friends are a boy and a girl, why not put the focus on them being very dear friends and leave it at that? The (many) viewers who want romance will see a romance, and those that are still happy with just friends will still love it just as much. But yeah, far as I can tell, stories where a couple works out at the end tends to be most popular on average, followed by bittersweet tragedies where the love is established but tragic events rip them apart like Romeo & Juliet, and the least popular ones are the ones where things just don't work out.

Ultimately, I'd say most people who love any particular creator will have works they love and works they hate, even periods of either. Nothing wrong with that, obviously. There are some Shinkai works I simply don't have any interest in ever watching, and there are others that I could watch over and over. Suzume is definitely in the latter category for me. I hope at the least that when/if Shinkai comes up with a story that he's completely happy with that it's something I still find as moving and beautiful as these last few.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote