AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-03-05, 18:20   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Do you actually loves "mediocre" shows?

I hate to ask this but I also hate to see when some shows that aren't good but aren't really that bad. More precisely, mediocre shows. Take Asobi ni Iku Yo! for example. While nobody claiming it as "best anime ever" but it had decent animation quality, good homage to some Hollywood movies and Eris is a likable character. However I never met someone who actually talking about this show.

So far the trend that I saw on the internet is how people love "good" and "bad" shows. Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Monster are the prime examples of "good" shows and Musashi Gundoh, School City Valanoir and School Days are my 'favorite' examples or "bad" shows. Anything that didn't fit on both categories fall into "somewhere in between" or "mediocre".

My problem though, did not lie on "good" ones but rather on "bad" ones. As example School Days were loved for its notoriety of its ending than anything else. Musashi Gundoh and School City Valanoir were loved on how bad its animation qualities.

I also hate to see people were actually hating better shows than "bad" for some stupid reasons. As example people hate Haru(Yosuga no Sora) and Junichi(Amagami SS) for being pimps and dated several girls and even slept with them but oddly enough, they loved Makoto(School Days) for very same reason. Yes it is pretty scary that lots of people actually loved him. Maybe because he isn't like any other harem leads that come before him. Unconventional and unorthodox. He did what lots of male leads in older(but better) harem shows spent their lifetime avoiding it.

Another thing I hate is how people hate on how some of these "mediocre" shows ended. As example when Yosuga no Sora was aired for first time, people expected to see it get School Days-like ending and throw their disgust on YnS because it ain't happened. Ironically YnS is hated where School Days is loved, its plot twist.

"Good" shows are loved because how they are and "bad" shows are loved because how bad they are. "Mediocre" shows are hated for not being either one. That really annoys me.

Last edited by Kameruka; 2011-03-05 at 19:24.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 18:45   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

What constitutes mediocre is subjective since it's a value judgment; the same applies for good and bad. While there are shows that are near universally considered good or bad, that's still subjective opinion albeit one that's commonly shared.

I don't love or hate shows I find mediocre. I just think they're, well, mediocre.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 18:49   Link #3
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
If you find a show to be mediocre, then you don't hate or like it. You just don't feel anything much about it and usually forget it in a week. You don't forget good anime or bad anime that easily because of the much stronger impression they leave on you.

And Asobi ni Iku Yo! is way bellow mediocre. That is why I still remember it.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 19:00   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
So far the trend that I saw on the internet is how people love "good" and "bad" shows. Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Monster are the prime examples of "good" shows and Musashi Gundoh, School City Valanoir and School Days are my 'favorite' examples or "bad" shows. Anything that didn't fit on both categories fall into "somewhere in between" or "mediocre".
I won't deny I think Monster is one of my top-five shows of all time, and perhaps even the best show I've ever seen. Still there are many shows that I thought were "worth watching" and certainly not "mediocre." I'd class Shion no Ou as a B/B+ show and give Yakushiji Ryoko a B-. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy either of those shows or think they weren't worth my time. I stop watching shows I consider "mediocre." I'd rather watch one of the shows in my signature again or do something else with my time.

By the way, I haven't watched any of your "bad" shows, but I'm wondering what you have watched that you would place between Monster and School Days.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 19:01   Link #5
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I consider mediocre shows "bad shows with redeemable aspects".

The current season has a few of them so I shouldn't have to list examples.
Old 2011-03-05, 20:00   Link #6
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
If you find a show to be mediocre, then you don't hate or like it. You just don't feel anything much about it and usually forget it in a week. You don't forget good anime or bad anime that easily because of the much stronger impression they leave on you.

And Asobi ni Iku Yo! is way bellow mediocre. That is why I still remember it.
I'd say that finding a show to be mediocre is less of an assessment of how much you enjoyed it, and more of a judgement about the actual quality of the show; same for the "good" and "bad" descriptors. I believe this is how the OP is posing the question, as well.

I would say that yes, I do typically enjoy mediocre shows, if they're the right kind. "Outlaw Star" is quite possibly the greatest collection of recycled stereotypes, tropes, and sci-fi action ever made, and put together with no particularly amazing feats of storytelling (save for a couple episodes and scenes that really were quite good). Still, it's one of my favorite shows ever, and I'm pretty sure it always will be. The same can be said for Dokuro-can, though for different reasons.

I can watch a "good" show that I know is being told by a truly masterful writer, with very well fleshed out characters, original plotlines, and no cliches, and hate it. It can be completely perfect for what it is, and yet that doesn't really mean that I care about it just because it's good.

Stories have to "resonate" with the viewer / reader / listener, regardless of whether the story is any good, or else no one will like it, though they may acknowledge its technical merits.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 22:35   Link #7
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Me I put mediocre shows in with mite buy it once it get into a boxset. As for Asobi ni Iku Yo! I thought it was good like when an anime have to do with catgirls. Sure there a lot of anime nether good or bad but good anime I buy right away and as for bad animes I try to forget them
Old 2011-03-05, 23:22   Link #8
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Junichi(Amagami SS) for being pimps and dated several girls and even slept with them
I thought all of these girls existed in different realities anyway so I don't think you can really call Junichi a pimp, unless I seriously missed something in the way the show was set up.

As for mediocrity. . . my opinions are mixed. On the one hand, mediocrity can be fun and relaxing. On the other hand, mediocrity can be an excuse for lazy writing, art, and, the terrible problem that plagues nearly every anime/manga, not standing out at all. The last thing I've stated is my major problem with shows that are good enough not to be considered bad but can't make that last leap into great': the truely mediocre.

But first, the things I like about mediocrity! I don't claim to be someone who only searches out and watches the best of what the anime/manga world has to offer: I'll try nearly everything that even vaguely interests me. So I've begun and finished plenty of shows that would be considered mediocre: Magikano, My Bride is a Mermaid, Yumekui Merry, and Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? to name a few. Desite personal preferences, none of these shows could be considered masterpieces, even of their own respective genres. But I still enjoy them, especially because I don't expect them to be masterpieces: like a run of the mill action film, these shows are things I use to relax. Not everything put out can be a masterpiece, after all.

However, there is one major flaw that gives me my mixed feelings about mediocriy: not standing out from the rest of the crowd. All of the aformentioned anime I've watched had some quirk, facet, or spark of originality that kept me interested: the character interactions were interesting, the plot was engaging, the art was pretty, etc. The shows that I dislike are basically run of the mill everything: the same cardboard cut out characters, bland art, and a half hearted plot. Something that you'll forget about it as soon as you watch it. That is what I really hate about mediocrity: just because something doesn't acheive masterpiece status doesn't mean the creators can't try to make it interesting.
Old 2011-03-06, 01:54   Link #9
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

To put simply, I wouldn't love a show if I consider it mediocre, right?

And if some show I love is considered mediocre by someone else, too bad. *shrug*
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote