AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-13, 11:41   Link #261
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiorika View Post
Okay, as for the lady in the Graduate scene... This is what my friend told me; copy and pasted directly from her message:
Which means my analysis of the graduate skit is mostly correct.
Spoiler for just to be safe:

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2010-11-13 at 12:05.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 12:08   Link #262
Falkor

I will just voice my concerns. I do dislike reading/seeing spoilers, or any hints pointing in that direction. They do not add anything to the discussion, and if people could me more mindful not to post them at all, or delete them had they done the mistake of revealing them, I will be very thankful.

there's nothing wrong about speculating, but posting "the right answer" or using future events from the source material as basis for speculation feels wrong to me and is not welcome.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 13:20   Link #263
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
I will just voice my concerns. I do dislike reading/seeing spoilers, or any hints pointing in that direction. They do not add anything to the discussion, and if people could me more mindful not to post them at all, or delete them had they done the mistake of revealing them, I will be very thankful.

there's nothing wrong about speculating, but posting "the right answer" or using future events from the source material as basis for speculation feels wrong to me and is not welcome.
This.

Please don't "solve" riddles from the anime using spoilers from future episodes. That's not really appropriate.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 14:41   Link #264
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is further advanced by [Kuranosuke's] apology in the car, though that in itself had an arrogance to it - since his own mother is not irretrievably lost as hers is, only lost to him - for now.
My earlier reaction to the dying mother scene was perhaps a bit premature, for I feared it hinted at a level of ordinariness that I hoped wouldn't be the norm for this show. Now, after episode four, I think that the loss-of-a-mother subtext probably is one of the unifying themes. Obviously Kura's mom isn't lost in the same way as Tsukimi's, but she's certainly lost to him. We haven't heard much about Shu's mother though, as others suggested, she's probably not the same woman. Perhaps we'll discover she's been lost to Shu for some time as well.

One of the reasons for Tsukimi's appeal to Shu in the aquarium might be the unbridled enthusiasm she showed when placed in her element. Shu's life looks remarkably bereft of enthusiasm in any meaningful way except for his wacky uncle. Shu himself has probably not had an enthusiastic response to a life event in years. Being a virgin is only one indication of that. He seems to live entirely within a life of professional drudgery.

During the scene in the aquarium I had a hard time telling whether Shu called Tsukimi "-chan" or "-san". I reviewed the scene a couple of times and think he said the latter, though obviously it would tell us a lot if we knew which honorific he used. Of course, Crunchyroll and one of its translation houses, MX Media, don't think we English-speakers need to know information like this.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 15:16   Link #265
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
We haven't heard much about Shu's mother though, as others suggested, she's probably not the same woman. Perhaps we'll discover she's been lost to Shu for some time as well..
Just wanted to point out that Shu's mother is most likely he's father's current wife, which is shown in episode 3 besides him.
Old 2010-11-14, 00:14   Link #266
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
During the scene in the aquarium I had a hard time telling whether Shu called Tsukimi "-chan" or "-san". I reviewed the scene a couple of times and think he said the latter, though obviously it would tell us a lot if we knew which honorific he used.
You're right, he calls her Tsukimi-san, including the scene where she's crying, if that's the one to which you're referring. I wouldn't really imagine him being bold enough to use a more friendly honorific considering his character and general formality.
Old 2010-11-14, 02:20   Link #267
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
First, it's Kuranosuke, not Koronosuke. This is important because the "kura" kanji in his name is the same kanji from kurage (jellyfish). This is not coincidence, of course.
The sound, yes, but definitely not the kanji.

kurage = 海月
Kuranosuke = 蔵之介

Not that it makes it any less of a coincidence, but you might want to be careful about how you phrase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Aye...You don't become a 30 year old virgin who as far as your family can tell has little interest in women if all that gets your motor running is a little makeup and a nice hairdo...He may not even be aware of what his attraction for her is on a conscious level yet, but I'd be immensely surprised if its just physical.

Like you I'm not shipping any body either, but its a little sad to see so many sell Shu so short already...Show has plenty of room for lots of nice character development yet.
The problem is that, thus far, Shu IS judging her based on her looks. He may be attracted by what appears to be behind it (the idea that she's a polished but pure young lady), but he's basically fallen in love with one side of her at first sight, and then completely dissed another side of her. Kuranosuke is too 'girly' for me to support (those eyes!), but so far, I like his development more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
You're right, he calls her Tsukimi-san, including the scene where she's crying, if that's the one to which you're referring. I wouldn't really imagine him being bold enough to use a more friendly honorific considering his character and general formality.
Not to mention the formal wear she's in. All things considered, here's no way he'd use "-chan" here.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-11-14 at 02:31.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 05:21   Link #268
Nikkan

I just make my mind up about if Kuranosuke was jealous because he likes Tsukimi, or if he was jealous becuse two awkward virgins hugging was touching and sweet, and the whole situation itself was something he never had?
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 10:17   Link #269
klare

obviously this is the start of triangle love
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 17:41   Link #270
Kirarakim

I haven't found a good anime to watch in awhile but this I am really enjoying.

I think what I like best is so far every character from Tsukimi, Kuranosuke, Shu, and the Amars have prejudices and pre-conceived notions of people. I think most anime series would make the Amars not prejudice but I am glad that they have flaws as well. It will be interesting to see how these break down.

Of course as others said I do wish we would get to know the Amars beyond their Otakuness. Right now only Tsukimi, Kuranosuke, and Shu are really interesting on an individual level. While the other girls just come off as comic relief.

And I am still unclear who I think is the better match for Tsukimi. I guess it depends on how Shu and Kuranosuke develop over the course of the series.
Old 2010-11-15, 20:47   Link #271
Falkor

episode 04

a bit late, I guess. anyway, I have been looking forward to watch this episode since last week, and as it happened with previous ones, watching it once is not enough. The romantic aspect has found its way into the work, which isn't really surprising given that subtle hints have been ever present last episode. Although in its early stages, this love and what it involves, appears to be very much to my liking: the sometimes awkward interactions, the characters uniqueness, and the unpredictability of their actions are all adding up to create, which I hope, a memorable story that is not necessarily centered on a love triangle, and what this concept is usually about. There is raw material and potential for more than just that.

There is no pairing I'm particularly fond of, but I love all the characters involved, finding in Tsukimi a lovely and charming girl. I would not like to think it is because I have something against either Shuu or Kuranosuke, but neither one seems worthy of holding Tsukimi's hand. Shuu, for example, harbors a romantic interest which is built around his first impression of her, and has not perhaps realized that it is the same girl he had seen earlier with disgust. However, what he sees is nothing but the makeup and the clothing, failing to appreciate/notice the real appeal of Tsukimi's character. His lack of previous love experience (the fact he is a virgin) may help explain his awkwardness and the shortsightedness of his feelings/thoughts. Strangely enough, he can actually perceive part of Tsukimi's self---her interest in jellyfish---, though it remains to be seen whether he will have the same opinion of her should he happen to realize that is not the same Tsukimi he had in his mind. Not a perfect character by any means, but he probably has the upper hand as it appears that Tsukimi has shown a relative interest in him.

Kuranosuke, on the other hand, is someone a bit more selfish, who doesn't necessarily have a clear romantic interest in Tsukimi, but whose thoughts, feelings and actions may eventually point in that direction. During this episode, he has started to see Tsukimi in a different light, paying more attention to what really makes her beautiful. Of course, he is not exactly charmed by her physical beauty, but considers her character/personality as part of what he likes about her. He is probably bored of all the girls who had so far shown an interest in him; so Tsukimi, who is neither shallow nor superfluous---but unique and sincere---, appears as someone more appealing and endearing, in other words, much fun to hang out with. In order to reciprocate her feelings (and good friendship), it is that he wants to change her external appearance. He already knows she is an otaku and accepts that part of herself; I like this aspect of Kuranosuke's character. However, the way he wants to doll up Tsukimi without her permission, or how he sees the concept of beauty does not sit well with me. He is probably closer to Tsukimi than his brother and shares a good chemistry with her. it would be interesting to see how feelings eventually develop.

During the first few episodes I noticed how the sisters of the Amars shared a particular dislike, incompatibility, uncomfortableness around the hipster people, and I thought there might be a lot more to this. I would like that say that there seems to exist an aspect in particular that they reject: their external appearance. For example, Kuranosuke had all the best intentions to interact with them during the nabe, but they didn't want to (or couldn't) return those feelings. I'm pretty sure they all have their reasons, and taking the situation at face value, it is the external appearance and what they associate to it that causes discomfort in the sisters. But is it really just that? During this episode, they didn't exactly disagree nor reject Tsukimi's makeover, which makes me believe that it's not exactly the concept of beauty or the external appearance that they see with disdain. Maybe because they already knew that Tsukimi was the one underneath the kimono; maybe because it was the "traditional" sense of fashion that they did not disagree with. I haven't quite grasped the issue at hand, but I want to think of it as something more of an awkwardness or unfamiliarity that creates anxiety in them. For example, Tsukimi could talk with Kuranosuke's brother without the glasses, but wouldn't be able to do the same when she had them on. Communication is hard for them, but seems especially difficult when they are strangers or do not necessarily share the same interests. is just the hipster people that they do not like, or a character they associate with them? or is simply hard because they are strangers? I'm not trying to justify their behavior, of course; but I'm trying to understand them a bit a better with each passing episode. They are not bad people per se, and they sort of accepted Kuranosuke's presence in the apartment---probably because they recognized his good intentions. I would love see more of the sisters, but I'm probably the only one having this thought. (the show is already fun and enjoyable as it is)

Another thing that I found interesting is how we perceive Tsukimi's character. Whether or not Tsukimi is dressed up, her interest in jellyfish---her otaku self---remains the same. For example, Shuu could only see Tsukimi as a girl in love with nature---this is reference to her interest/hobbies. Conversely, if she is in her normal looks, wouldn't we think of her as an otaku into jellyfish? I may be reading to deeply into it, but I think the work is trying to say something along these lines, that we are judging her an otaku because of her external appearance, and not necessarily because of her hobbies/interests. A girl who loves nature or an otaku into jellyfish, the only difference is how either one is dressed.

During the last part, right before the ending, I got the feeling it was perhaps the scene where I could see Tsukimi as a girl, as someone who for the first time thought about how her appearance was perceived by others, to be more precise, the opposite sex. it's strange that it never crossed her mind that she was seen half-naked, but whether she will be perceived as female (her no bra, no life comment). Maybe it was just a product of her embarrassment that she could not think of anything else; but that was also the section that made think her character had started to grow. Although we have seen last episode when she pondered about love and its connection to beauty, I think this is probably the one instance where I could say that she has started to see herself as a girl, and no longer as an otaku.
Old 2010-11-16, 03:26   Link #272
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Hanazawa Q&A: Favourite seiyuu role: Ryoko (Zegapain); Favourite anime: Kuragehime; Seiyuu she most respects: Kawasumi Ayako
Oh Hanazawa kana,just when I think you can't get any more awesome you prove me wrong.

She's been in so many animes lately (and right now) I find it nice she chose this one.
Old 2010-11-16, 15:27   Link #273
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Holy crap, i just marathoned the first four episodes. What an absolute awesome anime this is! My only regret is that I wasn't following this from the start. Can't believe I almost missed this hidden gem.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 22:10   Link #274
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Quote:
Hanazawa Q&A: Favourite seiyuu role: Ryoko (Zegapain); Favourite anime: Kuragehime; Seiyuu she most respects: Kawasumi Ayako
Oh Hanazawa kana,just when I think you can't get any more awesome you prove me wrong.

She's been in so many animes lately (and right now) I find it nice she chose this one.
she has good taste. :P just curious, where is the Q & A from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Holy crap, i just marathoned the first four episodes. What an absolute awesome anime this is! My only regret is that I wasn't following this from the start. Can't believe I almost missed this hidden gem.
you were about to miss one of the best shows of the year. :P
Old 2010-11-17, 11:58   Link #275
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
DI'm pretty sure they all have their reasons, and taking the situation at face value, it is the external appearance and what they associate to it that causes discomfort in the sisters. But is it really just that? During this episode, they didn't exactly disagree nor reject Tsukimi's makeover, which makes me believe that it's not exactly the concept of beauty or the external appearance that they see with disdain. Maybe because they already knew that Tsukimi was the one underneath the kimono; maybe because it was the "traditional" sense of fashion that they did not disagree with. I haven't quite grasped the issue at hand, but I want to think of it as something more of an awkwardness or unfamiliarity that creates anxiety in them. For example, Tsukimi could talk with Kuranosuke's brother without the glasses, but wouldn't be able to do the same when she had them on. Communication is hard for them, but seems especially difficult when they are strangers or do not necessarily share the same interests. is just the hipster people that they do not like, or a character they associate with them? or is simply hard because they are strangers? I'm not trying to justify their behavior, of course; but I'm trying to understand them a bit a better with each passing episode. They are not bad people per se, and they sort of accepted Kuranosuke's presence in the apartment---probably because they recognized his good intentions. I would love see more of the sisters, but I'm probably the only one having this thought. (the show is already fun and enjoyable as it is)
The nuns are definitely quite a bit xenophobic and some of them probably suffer from social anxiety disorder (Tsukimi does). As for their loathing of "hipsters", this might have to do with their pasts. Since they're all a bit "original" to say the least, they have probably been mocked by the "regular" fashionable people their whole lives, which led to them hating "regular" people in return. They are now as prejudiced against hipsters as hipters are against them. Basically, it's a circle of hate and misunderstanding. Discrimination at its finest. Kind of sad, really. Thankfully, they're still able to accept other people, as long as said people are very patient with them and bribe them with high quality meat

Quote:
she has good taste. :P just curious, where is the Q & A from?
Very good taste. Kawasumi Ayako is a great seiyuu. & I'd like to know where this Q & A come from as well.
Old 2010-11-17, 13:37   Link #276
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'd like to know where this Q & A come from as well.
AFA 2010 convention in singapour a few days ago

She also live dubbed a scene from angel beats (which is nice but i'd love a live version of "olé!" )

a few tweetshere
More detailed article here

"Favorite anime" might be a bit of a stretch but it's nice seeing her promote this show.

Last edited by totoum; 2010-11-17 at 14:12.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-17, 13:53   Link #277
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
AFA 2010 convention in singapour a few days ago

She also live dubbed a scene from angel beats (which is nice but i'd love a live version of "olé!" )

a few tweetshere
More detailed article here

"Favorite anime" might be a bit of a stretch but it's nice seeing here promote this show.
Thanks a lot! I'll refrain from commenting too much since we'll just get off-topic, but let's just say, I do think she's as cute as Nadeko. Kana is real life moe!
Old 2010-11-17, 15:37   Link #278
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Urgh Hanazawa's favorite anime quote. I should have known.

So i'm staying on-topic, some awesome fanart for those interested.

Old 2010-11-17, 18:33   Link #279
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I've got a little bit of art too then
Spoiler for for size:

Last edited by wandering-dreamer; 2010-11-17 at 19:23.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-17, 18:45   Link #280
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thumbnails please wandering-dreamer . That's a lot of images to load at once.

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance