AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-05, 12:32   Link #401
EroKing

To sum it up both Daikichi and Rin are filling up the loneliness in their hearts and changing as a person for the better
Old 2011-08-05, 12:51   Link #402
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the emotions involved in his reaction to the "Daikichi is Daikichi" bit are complicated - as the simple moments in this show often are. A lot of it has to do with what she said just before, about wanting to honor his Grandfather by keeping his name and how he was her real father. He's touched by the integrity Rin is showing there, and by the amount of love she had for Grandpa - and he's also seeing more and more of himself in the old man, who he didn't know very well in life.

In contrast, I found the scene after the ED much less emotional because it was trying too hard. This premise is so loaded that stuff like that can veer towards manipulative pretty quickly.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 12:56   Link #403
bbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's more that Daikichi is touched by how Rin cares more about who he is than about what role he plays. Both at work and with his family, Daikichi's role (and accomplishments and lack thereof) seem to be predominant.
I think you all are reading too much into it. Daikichi wasn't that moved by Rin telling him she didn't want him to become her father. It wasn't until she said "Daikichi should just stay Daikichi" that the sweating in March started.. To me, it seemed fairly evident that he cried because this was a tacit approval of his efforts. I don't remember Rin praising him before, so I think that's why he cried. The scene after the credits sort of seemed to confirm this.
bbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 13:14   Link #404
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
I think you all are reading too much into it. Daikichi wasn't that moved by Rin telling him she didn't want him to become her father. It wasn't until she said "Daikichi should just stay Daikichi" that the sweating in March started.. To me, it seemed fairly evident that he cried because this was a tacit approval of his efforts. I don't remember Rin praising him before, so I think that's why he cried. The scene after the credits sort of seemed to confirm this.
Of course Daikichi was moved by the approval, but he gets compliments all the time. In this episode, Rin praised him for his cooking skills and last episode she did so for the bunny ears. At work, Daikichi is regarded as some sort of sales-generating hero. The difference is in the nature of the praise: that it is for who he is rather than for what he does.
Old 2011-08-05, 13:45   Link #405
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Another warm smile has appeared on my face once again. Totally gonna try to watch the live-action film.

Though I really have no idea of what to really think about Masako yet. Until later episodes and more info on her, I think it's still early for me to make a full opinion about her.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:57   Link #406
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post
Wow!... I didn't notice that the ending changed (or gradually changes. I'll have to re-watch previous endings) until this episode.

Whereas she was previously suspended by one balloon near the very end, now she is suspended by several. A sign of her breaking out of her shell thanks to none other than our good man Daikichi.
I listed a few of the things 2 weeks ago that change - first is the season indicated by the stained glass bits at the beginning (2 eps were autumn, 3 have been winter, I bet next ep will be spring); the little things amongst the trees towards the end of that sequence change; the pastel/colored pencil looking drawing of Rin, and the sequence right before the spiral opening thing opens to the epilogue.

There was more that changed this time than was changing before, though. Like instead of just one drawing of Rin, there were several, and the still photos that used to be the two lop-ears were different.

Incidentally, the clock *doesn't* change. It's always 2:15!
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 19:34   Link #407
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

This show truly warms my heart. I do find Rin's biological mother to be a bit odd and still don't understand how she could just give Rin up. Its amazing how Daikichi and Rin interact with each other.

Thank you for the signature Pellissier!
TheGeekHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 19:56   Link #408
User68604
Disabled By Request

rin crying at the beginning of the ep

SO SAD

then she reaches for her bear instead of daikichi

major lulz were had
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 06:09   Link #409
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So this is how a heart-warming feeling tasted like...

So bittersweet, but so peaceful
Old 2011-08-08, 06:18   Link #410
blewin

just caught up to this series, really like the heartwarming feel of it. How many episodes will this be? it seems the manga has ended already though.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-08, 07:33   Link #411
Theowne
耳をすませば

AnimeNewsNetwork lists 12 episodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
It wasn't until she said "Daikichi should just stay Daikichi" that the sweating in March started.. To me, it seemed fairly evident that he cried because this was a tacit approval of his efforts.
I think there was an element of relief to his crying. He has acted very mature in this episode whether dealing with Masako or quietly bringing up the idea of adoption (particularly for someone who has not dealt with any of this until recently, and very suddenly). Rin's response tells him that there's no need to rush these things, because she already appreciates him as he is now - the rest can wait. And I think that was a bit of a weight off his shoulders. That's just my interpretation.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-08, 20:15   Link #412
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just Stay the Same

The focus of episode 5 is really on Rin’s mother and her meeting with Daikichi. What really struck me the most the first time I saw her mother was that she really doesn’t fit the bill of a mother who just abandons her child. Perhaps abandon is too strong a word for their circumstance. However you want to describe it, it doesn’t change the fact that she left Rin in the care of grandfather and eventually Daikichi for her own reasons. She’s an upstart mangaka who worked as a maid while trying to get jobs in her chosen profession, and for that reason she tries to justify her choice. More than that of course it comes out that this shy, quiet and slightly childish young woman was not prepared for the difficulties of motherhood. She tries to justify her actions by saying that she cannot juggle her professional life with raising a child, compounded by the fact that she does not know how to raise a kid despite grandpa’s insistence that she finish her pregnancy. I for one cannot agree that this is a good enough reason for leaving her behind, but at the same time she did have the foresight to leave her with grandpa and prepare her for a life without her.

Furthermore, to say that she does not understand motherhood is a bit questionable when her concern for Rin comes up. She comments that it may be for the best that Rin’s last name switch to Daikichi’s since it would be better for her school and because she’d lose the name anyway when she marries. I doubt that this is advice to be given by someone who doesn’t care at all. Perhaps much like Yuzuyu’s mother in Aishiteruze Baby, there is clear conflict in her between her desire to succeed and life and her nature as a mother.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-08, 22:25   Link #413
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The focus of episode 5 is really on Rin’s mother and her meeting with Daikichi. What really struck me the most the first time I saw her mother was that she really doesn’t fit the bill of a mother who just abandons her child. Perhaps abandon is too strong a word for their circumstance. However you want to describe it, it doesn’t change the fact that she left Rin in the care of grandfather and eventually Daikichi for her own reasons. She’s an upstart mangaka who worked as a maid while trying to get jobs in her chosen profession, and for that reason she tries to justify her choice. More than that of course it comes out that this shy, quiet and slightly childish young woman was not prepared for the difficulties of motherhood. She tries to justify her actions by saying that she cannot juggle her professional life with raising a child, compounded by the fact that she does not know how to raise a kid despite grandpa’s insistence that she finish her pregnancy. I for one cannot agree that this is a good enough reason for leaving her behind, but at the same time she did have the foresight to leave her with grandpa and prepare her for a life without her.

Furthermore, to say that she does not understand motherhood is a bit questionable when her concern for Rin comes up. She comments that it may be for the best that Rin’s last name switch to Daikichi’s since it would be better for her school and because she’d lose the name anyway when she marries. I doubt that this is advice to be given by someone who doesn’t care at all. Perhaps much like Yuzuyu’s mother in Aishiteruze Baby, there is clear conflict in her between her desire to succeed and life and her nature as a mother.
Having some concern doesn't mean she has any motherly tendencies or understands motherhood.

If I were forced to give birth to a child, I would give it away. I have absolutely no desire to be a mother, and I have no doubt that I wouldn't be a good mother if I were forced to raise the thing - much like Masako, I suspect. (Though she might desire to be a mother when she feels more capable of it.) But even if I've relinquished all right to the kid, I'd still have opinions about it and some interest in it - the same way I do about my brother's kid, or my cousins' children.

I'm not sure, but maybe I'm misinterpreting much of the discussion about Masako. I identify with her situation a lot, though I've never given birth myself (and never will), and she may very well be someone who does want to have children some day, just not now. I feel like you're being very judgmental and harsh, with the "I cannot agree that this is a good reason to give the child away". It's a great reason! Women shouldn't be forced to raise children if they don't feel prepared for it!

Lord knows why Masako was compelled to give birth, but maybe in her family and/or Japanese culture, abortion is taboo. Of course, it's also necessary to get the plot going. Or maybe Grandpa Kaga just wanted the baby. Or maybe he thought it'd get Masako to mature and settle down (which is dumb. babies aren't magical). Either way, she clearly wasn't ready to be a mother yet, and giving Rin up was the best thing she could have done, once she was set on carrying to term.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-08, 22:32   Link #414
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I, for one, think it a better option to give her up for adoption or to a family who can take care of her than to abort her. At the least Masako knew that there would still be a family to take care of her even if she were to leave Rin behind.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 19:17   Link #415
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
AnimeNewsNetwork lists 12 episodes
Hmm maybe there is a DVD only episode? I thought noitamina shows were only 11 episodes per season.
Old 2011-08-09, 19:50   Link #416
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Old 2011-08-10, 12:04   Link #417
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
At the least Masako knew that there would still be a family to take care of her even if she were to leave Rin behind.
No she didn't. As of episode 5, it appears Masako was more concerned about at concealing all identity which links her to Rin. Let's not forget in episode 1 Daikichi's family were looking to explore alternative since no one in the immediate family was willing to raise Rin. Alternative option didn't guarantee "a family" for Rin.

Masako is still an interesting character which is defined by the real reason for abandoning Rin which has been shrouded in mystery thus far.

This is indeed one of the most enjoyable series I've watched in the last 10 years or so. I also am curious to know how is this show doing among the female viewers? Judging from the posting in this thread, most of the viewers in this thread appears to be male... and who are also smitten by Daikichi.... not that there is anything wrong with it. Definitely not questioning manliness Male viewes are mostly appear to be attracted by how Daikichi's has handled himself with Rin thus far. Daikichi's interaction with Rin and how Rin is interacting back is also the other attractive aspect about this show. So I'm curious to see if the ladies are finding this show attractive also and from which aspect of the storytelling.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 13:16   Link #418
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I think there are more than a few of us ladies posting here (the original manga was josei after all) and I know I'm liking the story for the same reason everyone else seems to, for Daikichi's determination to be a single parent raising an adorably cute child that isn't even his, even if it means taking a demotion at work and having to schedule so much of his life around Rin's.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 16:27   Link #419
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

GAR means doing it even if no one will ever say "thank you". Daikichi is GAR. Lots of viewers, male or female, love GAR characters.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 16:57   Link #420
FireChick

Sorry for the off-topicness, but...exactly what does GAR mean or stand for?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance