Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-01-04, 22:40   Link #21
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
Question... does this series occur before Phantom or after? before the "light-thing" or after?
I believe this is a prequel to Phantom.
Old 2019-01-04, 22:59   Link #22
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Question... does this series occur before Phantom or after? before the "light-thing" or after?
This arc takes place before Phantom. The rest of the show (from episode 4 and on) will most likely take place after Phantom.
Old 2019-01-04, 23:08   Link #23
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 00:27   Link #24
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Phantom occurs after Vol.1 but before vol.2
The current series adepts up to volunteer. 3 I think?
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 01:33   Link #25
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

By current season contenders, this is top notch. Actually feels like OVA standard at some points
Old 2019-01-05, 02:13   Link #26
Requiem-x
The slacking one

"Because I'm automatic"

After more than a decade, I finally learn what that line means.

I'll admit the first didn't do the greatest of jobs at pulling me in, especially because it left me confused, but with the second one got me interested, even if we're going full throttle into crazy from the get go. Also, I was surprised by Nagi's design for some reason. Maybe I pictured her asa brunette in my head. Anyways, this should be interesting.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 02:45   Link #27
Applehell

Okay, I can see why they made this an hour-long/double episode. Still having the first half consist entirely of talking heads than a abrupt conclusion to the unseen conflict is hella bold move. Touka herself barely got any lines which was kind of bizarre.

The 2nd half was much more even granted the focus was mostly shared between Nagi, the Manticore and Masami, but it gave us much clearer picture of what going behind the scenes of first half. Despite employing the same storytelling techiques like DRRR!!! I found this far easier to follow. Though I'm not sure if that was because this was aired back-to-back or simply being better structured.

Whatever the case is this was good stuff. Its kind off-knitter mystery, psychological horror mixed with a bit of social commentary, we haven't had in a long time. OP is really good too and sets the mood of series. Looking foward to how next week concludes all of this.

Sidenote, rather shame what happened to Naoko, she seemed like a character a lot of connection to various members of the cast who oridnary would not meet. Real irony that it was her alien friend's clone who did her in. No good deed goes unpunished huh.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-01-05 at 05:17.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 07:59   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
The 2nd half was much more even granted the focus was mostly shared between Nagi, the Manticore and Masami, but it gave us much clearer picture of what going behind the scenes of first half. Despite employing the same storytelling techiques like DRRR!!! I found this far easier to follow. Though I'm not sure if that was because this was aired back-to-back or simply being better structured.
I think it's because there are less characters to keep track of. For now, at least.
Old 2019-01-05, 08:56   Link #29
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I find it somewhat distractingly confusing. I can reconstruct what happened, more or less, but still.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 10:46   Link #30
SeaDoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I find it somewhat distractingly confusing. I can reconstruct what happened, more or less, but still.

I can sympathize completely. Welcome to Boogiepop.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 13:45   Link #31
Shadow5YA

Should Boogiepop be looking so smug all the time when the series is called Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh/Smile?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 14:09   Link #32
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Should Boogiepop be looking so smug all the time when the series is called Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh/Smile?
The novel describes him as having this sort of weird expression that kinda looks like a smile but it's hard to pinpoint. I guess it was hard to show this visually so they just went for a smug look.
Old 2019-01-05, 17:21   Link #33
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think it's because there are less characters to keep track of. For now, at least.
True, though I barely remember most of them even now.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 17:25   Link #34
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The DRRR cast were more distinct, though. Here we've got a bunch of dark haired high school girls and boys in identical uniforms. Except for Boogiepop.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 17:31   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't recall DRRR being confusing in the first season. It only started to get confusing after that when it continued to haemorrhage more and more characters until it became a mess. I don't see Boogiepop ending up that way.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 19:30   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
The DRRR cast were more distinct, though. Here we've got a bunch of dark haired high school girls and boys in identical uniforms. Except for Boogiepop.
Yeah, the character design for this series is kind of... plain? Aside from Boogiepop, nobody really stands out. It's probably intentional though.
Old 2019-01-05, 23:56   Link #37
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Yeah, the character design for this series is kind of... plain? Aside from Boogiepop, nobody really stands out. It's probably intentional though.
Given the whole 'no one reacting to the guy in pain' and the male lead making the comment that everyone not reacting was normal, I imagine the hair colour is for that reason. That everyone is so generic/nonchalant/relatively heartless. Caring is generally a burden. Yes, it usually is the right think but it isn't without risk or consequences. A lot of people find caring/helping to be too much and without merit.

It's not the first time I've seen that being done and it was done in other titles for the same reason - to amplify the difference between the norm and the outliers. The first episode certainly helped to invoke empathy towards Boogiepop via this and how other characters acted.
Old 2019-01-06, 01:35   Link #38
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Phantom did have a very dreary atmosphere, and the realistic designs helped with that. Also, this is adapting material from almost two decades ago, so the need to go crazy and/or colorful most likely wasn't as strong as it is today. As far as appearances are concerned, that is, because the plot went crazy already.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-06, 03:21   Link #39
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
[SPOILER="ep1"]There weren't smartphones in the original, right? To be honest, if they are going to adapt the original story, I wish they would just be loyal to the original and not pointlessly modernize the content. In this day and age, and Touka never finds out she has been dressing like a weirdo and going around comforting zombies in the streets?
[SPOILER]
And how would she find out? Even if random people upload a picture or video of Boogiepop on social media, her face is covered by the robes so she would only know that a weirdo was on the streets.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-06, 21:30   Link #40
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
There's very little that I remember from Phantom, but it was even worse in that regards. At least in this recent adaption one girl had blonde hair.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, remake