AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-10-12, 11:59   Link #21
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
Since everyone praised the game i gave the demo a try, not knowing anything about it other than it being a JRPG (or so i thought).
Jesus christ the combat-system is horrible.. the setting looks boring (maybe because of the art style.. i'm not sure. The style itself is ok.. but the backgrounds etc. look kinda empty) Never before have i been turned-off like that before.
Well....actually, I was waiting for this kind of post happen. You can't please everyone, I guess.
I'll hold my judgment until I play the game, but from what I have seen and heard, it's quite good, from both the trailer and everyone who did play the demo.
Old 2008-10-12, 12:05   Link #22
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

It is good. I have finished this game long ago (I have the japanese import version), and it's worth its bucks for sure.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 18:26   Link #23
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

This game is kinda short for a RPG though (23 stages) and do not have that epic feel. (You are not saving the world but a small country) People might be interested that the titled Character only appears in 2-3 stages and as a NPC.

What is does give me is a interactive anime war drama, something like Band Of Brothers. Or if people here want a game that comparable to this, Brothers In Arms but everything design in Anime format and untilise a system og semi turn-based 3rd Person shooter with a unique character quirk for all the characters.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 00:46   Link #24
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I wouldn't call it short per se though. It has a good replaying factor, for instance.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 04:34   Link #25
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I wouldn't call it short per se though. It has a good replaying factor, for instance.
There isn't much in replaying stages (for me at least) via skirmishes mode other than to get more cash for wepons and armour upgrades and/or to challenge yourself to get better rankings.

The other thing about this game is that most of the characters you use remain grunts with faces that do not have their stories told other than with minor write up in the characters' glossary. Of course, this could change if Sega stay constant with their DLCs as we have seen with Idie and some of her cohorts and now, Selvaria.

But don't get me wrong here, this game remains a unique experience for me in my book and I will be glad if future SRPG take a leaf from it.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2008-10-13 at 06:35.
Old 2008-10-28, 23:34   Link #26
ShinGundam

Reviews goes Gold

PGLand10/10
OPM4.5/5
Games(tm)9/10
EuroGamer Portugal9/10
RPGFan 88/10
Gameplayer 8.5/10"almost worth buying a PS3 for"
EuroGamer8/10
Jeuxvideo 18/20
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-29, 12:56   Link #27
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Gets released the same day R2 does >_>
Old 2008-10-29, 16:19   Link #28
SkoolRumble4Ya

Man three ps3 exclusives in coming out on the same day. I'm getting R2 and VC first then I'll grab Naruto later.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-29, 17:25   Link #29
King Lycan
*IT Support

I'll have to buy both of these games with a pair of headsets on the 9th when i get paid
Old 2008-10-29, 20:43   Link #30
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

The Europeans will be getting their copies by the end of this week, while the Japanese gets their 2nd DLC.

For me, I'm just glad that I saved enough cash in my Japanese PSN account wallet to get the DLC on it's release date. My main concern is that Selvaria's customise Machine Assault Rifle, Ruhm, does not make things in Hard-EX mode any less challenging. That gun was punishing aganist my squard, will it do the same aganist the enemies ?

PS:-
Somehow I feel this game will end up as a sleeper hit of '08. Sure it gets positive reviews, but aganist heavyweight (and much more heavily marketed) titles like LBP, Fallout 3 and Resistance 2, it will slip under most gamer's radar.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2008-10-29 at 20:54.
Old 2008-10-29, 21:20   Link #31
King Lycan
*IT Support

Yea thats true sadly
But i'll try my best to advertise the game
Old 2008-10-29, 23:58   Link #32
Vikitehwaffu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
This game is kinda short for a RPG though (23 stages) and do not have that epic feel. (You are not saving the world but a small country) People might be interested that the titled Character only appears in 2-3 stages and as a NPC.

What is does give me is a interactive anime war drama, something like Band Of Brothers. Or if people here want a game that comparable to this, Brothers In Arms but everything design in Anime format and untilise a system og semi turn-based 3rd Person shooter with a unique character quirk for all the characters.
Generally in Suikoden you aren't saving the world either, just saving your country.
Vikitehwaffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 18:17   Link #33
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Now that I'm done with the 2nd DLC, here's a brife writeup of it :-

The DLC place us in the midst of Selberia's invasion and defense of Ghirlandio (so we have 2 battles this time round) and is narrated by a faceless imperial supply grunt named Carl handpick by Selberia to be her runner, so we get to see his view of the war and what he thinks of Selberia.

The map reuse the exterior and interior of Ghirlandio from the game, except certain places are barricaded. Selberia is officially the strongest scout unit in the game here even without the effects of Orders, she has over 600 HP and her Ruhm can take a tank down with just 6 shots at the engine.(Ruhm fire 20 shots per attack/turn) But she don't carry healing Ragnite and Grenades, (for good reasons too) that's why she needs a supply runner.

After the first sortie, we see the feminine tender motherly side of Selberia.(Surprise, surprise) And She can blush despite that cool manly exterior she has shown in the main game.

2nd part of the DLC just mainly deal with Selberia being a Damsel in Distress after falling into a trap and it's up to our faceless Knight to rescue, after that it's a cakewalk.

As for Ruhm, that thing can only be wield by Assault Troopers. (Selbeira is an exception despite she being a Scout) and as expected, it possess extraordinary stats for an firearm. It's as deadly in the hands of a ordinary Assault Troop as in Selberia's hands.
Old 2008-11-01, 22:53   Link #34
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I had my eye on this game for a while and today I finally preordered the US copy. I'm such a sucker for SRPGs. Seems really good from what I've been reading so I can't wait to play it.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 01:35   Link #35
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Come to think about it, Sega has employed a large pool of Seiyuus for this title in Japan. (including popular ones such as Noto, the 2 Otsuka and of course, Marina Inoue)

So much so that I fear for the English Dub, given the small pool of anime Voice Actors in the US, we may perhaps hear the same voice for 2-3 different characters for the English dub in the game.
Old 2008-11-02, 02:22   Link #36
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
So much so that I fear for the English Dub, given the small pool of anime Voice Actors in the US, we may perhaps hear the same voice for 2-3 different characters for the English dub in the game.
Sega has said that they've made a big effort of localizing this game for the West, and as a bonus they also left the original Japanese language track as an option. No problems there, even if the English dub ends up bad.

Great use for all that remaining space on the blu-ray disc, if you ask me.

source
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 14:36   Link #37
mpt37

Quote:
People might be interested that the titled Character only appears in 2-3 stages and as a NPC.
I downloaded the demo and was thinking about getting the game until I read this. When you say "titled characters" are you referring to Welkin, Alicia, Rosie, etc? because from watching the trailers I thought these characters would get more screen time since they're the focus of all the trailers I've seen. But, if they aren't, does that mean you're just playing as unknown soldiers the majority of time?
Old 2008-11-02, 18:00   Link #38
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
I downloaded the demo and was thinking about getting the game until I read this. When you say "titled characters" are you referring to Welkin, Alicia, Rosie, etc?
The "Valkyria".
Old 2008-11-04, 18:12   Link #39
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Finally the game comes out tomorrow for US residents. I pre-ordered it today because I entirely forgot about this game. But got reminded of it while I was buying Fable2
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 20:18   Link #40
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Tomorrow is the day, can't wait. I've been viewing and reviewing game footage online to get me pumped.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote