Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-14, 02:00   Link #3601
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
The term "Jihad" can refer to the religious duty of Muslims which generally can mean anything. Supposedly, it is a term used as a reference to positive things as that it relates to religious beliefs but of course, there are always people within every religious foundation or organization that would make use of something good as a tool of malice which can't be prevented as that it is the nature of human beings. Nonetheless, that is irrelevant to what the term "Jihad" means. Perhaps, you can even translate the term "Jihad" to "realizing the path of Allah in a struggle to improve oneself and also one's society". Of course, I do know that the term is also used by various countries to describe malice and terrorism due to the anti-Islamic movement led by the United States and China.
Yes. Alot of people today have misconceptions of the term Jihad and often link it to terrorism, which is a sad thing. Like you said terrorist had used Jihad as a tool of malice. However, as I mentioned before, there is a wider significance to the term, such as giving up smoking or controlling your anger. In Islamic theology, these struggles inside the personality are termed "The Greater Jihad" while struggles with outside forces such as state power or tyrannical armies are "The Lesser Jihad". A quote from the Quran (2:190), "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors".

Sorry if it seem I'm arguing but I'm not Its just a friendly discussion based on beliefs and points of view

And by the way, I respect ALL religions! But I certainly do not respect extremists and fascists!

Last edited by KongZilla; 2009-08-14 at 04:24.
Old 2009-08-14, 03:19   Link #3602
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Right-wing militias on the rise in US: report

From the looks of it, it is only a matter of time when the streets are going to be unsafe as that there is an increase number of right-wing groups out there who are definitely not murderers but these pro-freedom and pro-constitution individuals also don't like the sight of non-white individuals, especially that the United States had elected a black president with a landslide victory, Barack Obama and the fact that he went on a tour of apologies just made things a little worse than it was before. The white individuals residing in America would definitely receive the benefits of extra protection from these right-wing groups but everyone else are obviously not in the same boat and that things will take a turn for the worse if a spark occurs.
I am more for the theory that this rise is less about Barack Obama than the current bad economic times in the U.S. While I am pretty sure that there are people who don't like Obama because he is black, extremism tend to attract more people who were had been doing well but then fell. Psychologically, during these times, they are easier prey for guys who claim "It's not your fault that you [lost your job/lost your house/etc]. It is the [politicians/foreigners/etc] who caused all of this."

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-08-14, 10:07   Link #3603
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
I am more for the theory that this rise is less about Barack Obama than the current bad economic times in the U.S. While I am pretty sure that there are people who don't like Obama because he is black, extremism tend to attract more people who were had been doing well but then fell. Psychologically, during these times, they are easier prey for guys who claim "It's not your fault that you [lost your job/lost your house/etc]. It is the [politicians/foreigners/etc] who caused all of this."
There's a lot of truth to this observation, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss racism as an important factor as well. I've had conversations with my 17-yo daughter about why Obama seems to attract such hatred. Growing up in the 21st century in a liberal Boston suburb makes it difficult for her to comprehend the depths of racial hatred that existed in this country for centuries. I grew up during the period of segregation, disenfranchisement, and George Wallace. I don't have any problem believing that there is still a non-trivial fragment of the American public who think a black man has no business being in the White House.

Earlier this month a poll was released that included questions about the legitimacy of Obama's birth.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Aug. 1 (UPI) -- More than one-quarter of Republicans believe President Obama was born outside the United States, a poll done for the liberal Web site Daily Kos reports.

Overall, only 11 percent of those surveyed said Obama was born elsewhere, and another 12 percent were unsure, while 77 percent said the president was born in a hospital in Hawaii.

But the poll found there was a strong regional and political tilt on the issue.

While 93 percent of Democrats and 82 percent of independents said the president is a U.S. native, only 42 percent of Republicans did. Thirty percent of Republicans were unsure and 28 percent believe Obama is not native-born.

Only 47 percent of Southerners believe the president, compared with 93 percent in the Northeast, 90 percent in the Midwest and 87 percent in the West.
To some degree the figure for Southerners reflects the fact that there are more Republicans in the region. Whites are, unsurprisingly, less likely to believe that the president was born in the US. A more intriguing demographic breakdown concerns age groups. While I'm not too surprised that people over 60 are more likely to doubt Obama's citizenship (31% "no" or "don't know"), nearly the same proportion of people aged 30-44 are doubters (28%). That's the group who've most had to deal with the effects of equalization of opportunity in the school and workplace, and many of them are probably facing the effects of the recession as Lynnie suggests. It's not too surprising that a chunk of those people think blacks (and illegal immigrants and, for men, women) have taken away their jobs and fear for the worst now that one of "those people" lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Just one more piece of evidence:
Quote:
Since Mr Obama took office, the rate of threats against the president has increased 400 per cent from the 3,000 a year or so under President George W. Bush, according to Ronald Kessler, author of In the President's Secret Service
Old 2009-08-14, 23:40   Link #3604
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Kenya's oldest pupil, Kimani Nganga Maruge, has died in Nairobi aged 90.
Old 2009-08-15, 04:20   Link #3605
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Britons pour love on 'evil' healthcare system
I bet Fox News is banging themselves in the head for being an idiot when that opposition MP they interviewed who claim the NHS "is Evil" got slam by his own party because they support the NHS.

Hopefully, with this news & the support of the British Prime Minister about the NHS benefits, Americans will realize that an NHS type health care system in the US is not an evil threat but Godsent for their health, lives & financial situations.

These ignorant americans should realize that President Obama is not creating a Death panel, they already exist & their call your insurance company since they won't pay for your medical treatment cause you don't have the money & they don't want to spend that money.
Old 2009-08-15, 22:40   Link #3606
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Myanmar to free Suu Kyi's US 'guest'
Quote:
Yangon (Aug 16): United States Senator Jim Webb has said jailed American John Yettaw is to be released by Myanmar's military leaders and will leave the country with him today. The announcement came shortly after Senator Webb held talks with Myanmarese military ruler Than Shwe.

Mr Webb also met pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, days after she was given house arrest for 18 more months. He is the most senior US official to meet the Myanmarese leader to date, his office said. Mr Webb has also asked for Suu Kyi's release.

Mr Yettaw's uninvited visit to Suu Kyi's home — he swam to her lakeside home with homemade flippers, evading guards — led to her trial. He was himself given seven years of hard labour. After his arrest, Mr Yettaw said he had been sent by God to deliver a warning to Suu Kyi that she would be assassinated.

Suu Kyi was charged with breaking the terms of her house arrest by sheltering Mr Yettaw and, after many delays, was sentenced last Tuesday (Aug 11) to three years in prison. Although the sentence was commuted to 18 months' house arrest by General Than Shwe, it ensures the opposition leader cannot take part in planned elections next year.

Ms Suu Kyi, 64, has spent 14 of the past 20 years under house arrest.

- BBC NEWS
Old 2009-08-15, 23:14   Link #3607
Ledgem
Love Yourself

John Yettaw's wife made a rather humorous (in a sad way) remark in response to the news of his release:
Quote:
Yettaw's wife, Betty, told CNN from Missouri that she had received no official word of her husband's release. She added that if there were anything positive about the situation, it is that people now know where Myanmar is. She declined further comment.
Yettaw's Wikpedia entry is rather interesting... it sounds like he has a mental disorder of some sort. Wouldn't be surprised if it was schizophrenia. Hopefully those around him will recognize that he probably needs treatment of some sort and will get it to him when he returns.
Old 2009-08-15, 23:20   Link #3608
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm almost sorry to hear that... his stupidity gave the junta the key they needed to keep her under lock and key for another couple of years.
Old 2009-08-16, 07:23   Link #3609
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm almost sorry to hear that... his stupidity gave the junta the key they needed to keep her under lock and key for another couple of years.
If he is any smarter he would have carried a taser and went in at night in a BDU.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-08-16, 07:26   Link #3610
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
No "almost" about it for me...
Old 2009-08-16, 07:29   Link #3611
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
@Vexx: I'm sure those generals would have found some other excuse to keep her under lock and key.

But seriously, the lady is not the only voice the West should listen to. The minority groups within Burma don't look up to her as a leader. They want their representatives at the table, and they are holding off the junta in those remote areas where people seldom talk about. She's one voice, but not the only one. The Karen, Kachin, and other minorities need attention too.
Old 2009-08-16, 08:07   Link #3612
Thingle
Banned

How the hell would this Yettaw guy even be there? Myanmar's government is doing things and the world does not have the balls to give it the cold treatment.

The ASEAN is srsly acting like it's better broken up. They can't even eject, or suspend Myanmar. That hell-hole gives us all a bad name and lessens our cred.

Savages do not have civilized friends. When democracy is installed, maybe they'll be civilized and we'll accept them back with open arms.
Old 2009-08-16, 08:09   Link #3613
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Myanmar supplies quite a bit of stuff to Thailand and China, either legally, or illegally. The place is a rich one. Like Africa, it is mismanaged, and how...

The junta is even more stubborn than N.Korea. Sanctions? No reaction. Barrage of words? No harm done. What can you do?
Old 2009-08-16, 08:10   Link #3614
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Myanmar supplies quite a bit of stuff to Thailand and China, either legally, or illegally. The place is a rich one. Like Africa, it is mismanaged, and how...
Rich, but their government is just a bunch of savage thugs. There's a difference between a government and a "government" of thugs.. The Burmese people's situation is like having a large bank account and having no say in how to manage it.
Old 2009-08-16, 08:13   Link #3615
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Rich, but their government is just a bunch of savage thugs. There's a difference between a government and a "government" of thugs.. The Burmese people's situation is like having a large bank account and having no say in how to manage it.
They do have brains. Think of them as computers with one program: to enrich themselves. In that respect, they're very efficient.
Old 2009-08-16, 08:13   Link #3616
Thingle
Banned

Quote:

The junta is even more stubborn than N.Korea. Sanctions? No reaction. Barrage of words? No harm done. What can you do?
Air strikes with B-52's
Old 2009-08-16, 08:14   Link #3617
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
They do have brains. Think of them as computers with one program: to enrich themselves. In that respect, they're very efficient.
That form of "government" is not what ASEAN stands for.
Old 2009-08-16, 08:15   Link #3618
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Air strikes with B-52's
And to what costs? The US has a big hole in its wallet, and the PRC is flexing itself in the Security Council.

Besides, bombings are overrated. Remember Rolling Thunder?

Asean is still too young. Her member nations are still struggling with ideas which Europe has more or less grasped in the 20th century.
Old 2009-08-16, 08:16   Link #3619
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
And to what costs? The US has a big hole in its wallet, and the PRC is flexing itself in the Security Council.

Besides, bombings are overrated. Remember Rolling Thunder?
Okay, ground invasion. Just like in Iraq, it worked, but we'll pull out and not do the rebuilding. They're "rich" to fund it on their own. I'm sure they'll even be thankful for introducing democracy by offing the generals.
Old 2009-08-16, 08:19   Link #3620
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

That might work in the delta region, but I can assure you: the moment those troops move into the mountain areas, I have only two words on what the locals would do: Happy hunting.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international