AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 24 Rating
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 52 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 31 19.87%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 21 13.46%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 10.26%
6 out of 10 : Average... 9 5.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 4 2.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 4 2.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.64%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 16 10.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-19, 22:13   Link #341
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

@SilverSyko
So lets be thankfull to our kidnapper Kayaba who held us captive for 2 years, forced us to fight for our life and who is responsible for thousends of deaths, including the death of some friends. I thank you so much Kayaba, that you made this death game and gave me the opportunity to met the woman I love.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 22:29   Link #342
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
And how will you feel when you remember that the bastard didn't just skew with your life like a cheap toy, but did the same to thousands of others which resulted in thousands of deaths. I'd expect that such a person would still hold him with a great deal of contempt and treat him like the monster he is, rather than doing the opposite and sympathizing with his selfish dreams which was the source of so much pain, suffering and death
Quote:
@SilverSyko
So lets be thankfull to our kidnapper Kayaba who held us captive for 2 years, forced us to fight for our life and who is responsible for thousends of deaths, including the death of some friends. I thank you so much Kayaba, that you made this death game and gave me the opportunity to met the woman I love.
Ever heard of what's done is done? No point in clinging on to things that have already happened as there's nothing that can be done about it any more, it's best to focus on the "now". If someone we know dies, we grieve and then we move on, it's mentally unhealthy to drown oneself in negative emotions.

As long as the person responsible receives the proper punishment (which in Kayaba's case, he died for it) I don't see any reason to dwell on the matter any longer. They decided to disobey society's laws and now they're paying the price for it.

If they managed to get away with it all, now that's when I'd be angry.
Old 2012-12-19, 22:36   Link #343
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Ever heard of what's done is done? No point in clinging on to things that have already happened, it's best to focus on the "now". If someone we know dies, we grieve and then we move on, it's mentally unhealthy to drown oneself in negative emotions.

As long as the person responsible receives the proper punishment (which in Kayaba's case, he did) I don't see any reason to dwell on the matter any more. They decided to disobey society's laws and now they're paying the price for it.

Speaking for Kirito's perspective, he moved on and accepted his fate pretty early on. From the viewpoint of the players, Kayaba was less of a man and more of a force of nature. He swept them all up in his evil plan at the beginning, and then totally vanished. He was a non-entity, the only evidence of his presence was SAO itself.

When Sachi died, Kirito never thought "Damn Kayaba for trapping us all in here in the first place! I hate that bastard!" He blamed himself, because he couldn't protect them, because he lied about being a beater, because he was selfish. He already accepted the world of SAO as it was presented to him and his own place there, and Kayaba's role was a non-factor until the very end.

It's also important to remember that people had the option of never fighting and staying in the beginner town. While it wasn't an ideal existence, it was a safe one. Everyone out there fighting made the choice to do so, for any number of reasons.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 22:49   Link #344
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Ever heard of what's done is done? No point in clinging on to things that have already happened as there's nothing that can be done about it any more, it's best to focus on the "now". If someone we know dies, we grieve and then we move on, it's mentally unhealthy to drown oneself in negative emotions.
Yes, but this kind recover would come with time; its not something that occurs in 5 seconds like after their final battle. All those feelings kirito was feeling seconds ago should still be there and he should not be moving on so quickly. At the very least he should remember this monster killed Asuna right in front of him without the slightest care. The last thing kirito should be doing is offering sympathy for his selfish murderous actions. Heck Kirito's anger should have been renewed after hearing Kayaba's completely selfish reasons for this mass murder and torment.... as for there second meeting which came some time after, that too should bring up bad blood since his sudden presence would make it seem like he escaped punishment for what he did; his return should bring back a wealth of bad memories that you had finally manage to push aside

Speaking of which....

Quote:
As long as the person responsible receives the proper punishment (which in Kayaba's case, he died for it) I don't see any reason to dwell on the matter any longer. They decided to disobey society's laws and now they're paying the price for it.

He kinda DID get away with it... Kayaba knew from the very beginning that he was going to die; he had everything set in place for what would happen if the players won his death game. If a person intends to die in a certain way and they go on to die in a way that satisfied them then they didn't really loose and were not punished; they won in that they got what they wanted. Punishment for kayaba would be denying him his chosen form of death, tearing him from the game without his climatic final battle and giving him a nice jail cell; either that or atleast having him die in a fashion that leads to him dying with regret.

granted not even really sure if he is dead... i mean he did refer to the remnant of himself as a ghost and Sugou said he was dead, but officially the anime said he had long since disappeared making his death somewhat ambiguous. At the very least, kirito himself could not be sure if Kayaba was dead or not, which, if he held resentment for the monstrous things he did would lead to him feeling unsatisfied with not knowing if kayaba was gone for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
It's also important to remember that people had the option of never fighting and staying in the beginner town. While it wasn't an ideal existence, it was a safe one. Everyone out there fighting made the choice to do so, for any number of reasons.
And then he still be guilty for stealing their former lives which includes many of their friends, families and the hopes and dreams they had for the real world; and all so he could play in his imaginary castle. And as Asuna pointed out their lives were actually being shorten since they were all being kept alive through machines (this isn't even counting the emotional pain that their families go through during this time)... not to mention that in turns out that Kayaba was actually IN the game to encourage and manipulate the players to keep risking their lives and push them on. Selfish monster
Old 2012-12-19, 23:03   Link #345
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Yes, but this kind recover would come with time; its not something that occurs in 5 seconds like after their final battle. All those feelings kirito was feeling seconds ago should still be there and he should not be moving on so quickly. At the very least he should remember this monster killed Asuna right in front of him without the slightest care. The last thing kirito should be doing is offering sympathy for his selfish murderous actions.... as for there second meeting which came some time after, that too should bring up bad blood since his sudden presence would make it seem like he escaped punishment for what he did; his return should bring back a wealth of bad memories that you had finally manage to push aside
Too be fair... Asuna literally threw herself on his sword for that one. And the implication there is that Kayaba spared her from getting brain fried anyway.

And you seem to be forgetting the other thing going through Kirito's mind then, beyond his (presumed) impending death - He had just won. 4000 people died in the past, but 6000 were set to wake up and be free. Let the guy bask in his victory.

Edit: And what bad memories do you really think are haunting Kirito anyway? His lowest point was Sachi's death, and like I said, he blames himself, not Kayaba. Being forced to kill Kuradeel... Kayaba doesn't have much to do with that either. Or maybe the memories of his time napping on the grass with Asuna, or his honeymoon, or the time he enjoyed with Lizbeth and Silica?

Last edited by Oroboro; 2012-12-19 at 23:19.
Old 2012-12-20, 01:31   Link #346
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Regarding a lot of the recent discussion, I've created a new thread now for the discussion of Kayaba Akihiko in general. Please feel free to use that thread to continue the broader discussion of his character.
Old 2012-12-20, 05:52   Link #347
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Is this really a discussion of his character?

I thought this was just about people for some silly reason thinking Kirito should be a rude prick and be angry at the guy who just gave him a hand.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 07:28   Link #348
Esebian

Quote:
You kinda confusing "pain" and "Injury". Pain is a feeling nothing more, while an injury is the physical wound itself... in a way you can have pain without injury and you can injury without pain. In a sense the fact that pain is imaginary is irrelevant because it FEELS real. While it is good that none of their injuries would be permanent, the fact that they can still feel pain is pretty horrible. I mean as we saw, that one guy from laughing coffin was using that imaginary pain to sadistically torment Kirito... at that moment, the pain being imaginary didn't matter.

Not to mention that while the players might not suffer physical injuries (not counting having their brains fried), their physical bodies were still suffering form being in the game for so long. Being stuck in a bed for years will cause a great deal of deterioration that would take months of rehabilitation to recover... even when you get out, it may be months (depending on how long they were stuck inside the game before someone won) before you can go out for a simple walk on your own.
Yeah you certainly have a point with that the people will have to go for months in rehabilitation, but that is not connected to the pain ingame at all...

The point with the pain absorption system is that if you could tell your brain that this injury is only ingame and not happening in reality, you would feel no pain.

No matters how you look at it, if a sword is stuck into your stomach it should hurt, that's why Kirito is feeling pain but that pain is not real.

The scene later when his hand got chopped off, do you think his actions afterwards were appropiate of somebody just loosing his hand?

If pain would be real it would hurt like hell and he certainly would not embrace Asuna...

Well for the Kayaba discussion I'm off to new thread
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 05:51   Link #349
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

This episode wasn't very good. Sugou was so over the top that sadly he wasn't even funny any more, and the Asuna-molestation scene looked as if it ought to have been in a hentai doujinshi. The deus ex machina also seemed like a total cop out, although it's true that there was really no other possible outcome here where Kirito could have prevailed.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next episode. Things seemed to all be over in this one, but there must be something left. Maybe there'll be a hook for the next story arc and a possible next season of the anime.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 18:28   Link #350
Ray
Garnet

Despite some of my issues with this episode, I really enjoyed it. It was quite satisfying to see Sugou get his just deserts. Sword to da face. :>

Looking forward to the finale tomorrow~
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 23:41   Link #351
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Ah my favorite scene out of all of ALO. Helped release a lot of that pent up RAEG.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 08:09   Link #352
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

No SAO today?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 00:26   Link #353
Byakou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post

But I think the relationship between Asuna and Kirito is also excellent. For a start, it is developed very well gradually. It feels very genuine, which is not common in an anime.
Interesting that you think that the relationship felt genuine, because I thought pretty much the opposite. Kirito was about 16 when the romance started. Their relationship was extremely unrealistic for their age. It would have been far more powerful had it been depicted in a more authentic fashion - challenges and all. If an author is going to write a teenage relationship then do so, don't embellish things and give your characters the maturity of a 30 year old.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 00:42   Link #354
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
If an author is going to write a teenage relationship then do so, don't embellish things and give your characters the maturity of a 30 year old.
I think that people grow up rather quickly when facing this sort of life-or-death situation. I personally thought they were a pretty good balance of "still a kid on the inside" and "forcefully learned to carry the heavy burden of the world". At times they seemed mature, and at others they seemed foolish, and that made sense to me. It's hard to really say if their relationship felt "genuine" because it's hard to establish a standard in that sort of situation.
Old 2012-12-23, 00:49   Link #355
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

What people dislike about this show seems so bipolar sometimes. Seen people condemn their relationship as whiny teenagers, others condemn it as seeming too mature for their age... and the opposite praise from each spectrum. Same for a bunch of other aspects of the show.

Different strokes, etc. I guess.
Old 2012-12-25, 16:37   Link #356
GundamZZ
残念美人

cool

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 18:29   Link #357
kitten320

Uummm... how exactly did Kirito get ranking higher than GM? 0_o
Sugou was a very restarted, pathetic and boring final boss. At least Kirito was not the usual softy and gave the guy what he deserved.
Though they still didn't solve the problem with brains...
Old 2013-01-05, 19:06   Link #358
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Basically, that Kayaba AI thing gave him access to his Heathcliff account from SAO. It wasn't so much as Kirito suddenly having GM status on his account, but Kirito logging in with Kayaba's GM status.
Old 2013-01-15, 02:06   Link #359
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Uummm... how exactly did Kirito get ranking higher than GM? 0_o

l33t hax skilzz

I have to say. It was fun going from very freaking pissed - to - feeling damned good. (As in vindicated).
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 20:30   Link #360
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
damn this NTR scene gave me such a massive boner, doing naughty things to Asuna, Sugou u lucky sukebei