AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 9.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 3.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 5.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 4.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.19%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 11 3.90%
1 out of 10 : Painful 167 59.22%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-23, 19:37   Link #281
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
More delay to give us something good rather than this? Sure, I'd take that. I waited three years, why not wait four if it's gonna be more satisfying than repeating the same episode for weeks.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:40   Link #282
typhonsentra

Yeah, at this point I'd honestly say getting nothing at all would be better than what they're releasing.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:57   Link #283
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

I wouldn't say nothing is better than something, because even if that something doesn't interest you there is always someone who might appreciate it.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:13   Link #284
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

As much as I want to believe that this arc is a message that they despise doing sequels that much, if it were that they would've given up on the liscence for this and the FMP series a long time ago to a different company so I don't think that's what it is.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:15   Link #285
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
I wouldn't say nothing is better than something, because even if that something doesn't interest you there is always someone who might appreciate it.
This is kind of reaching, but there's a chance it could inspire a nice CYOA game on some message board somewhere, too.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:18   Link #286
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Interesting. I feel like having something to watch is better than not. I guess everyone is different though.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:18   Link #287
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

This arc would be incredibly good even if they lengthened it to eight episodes...

If they took the whole "time loop" concept to its logical conclusion and, you know, actually had different events each episode.

Like Yuki killing everyone or something. That would be extremely awesome.

But instead we get this.

It's a waste within a waste, you know?
Old 2009-07-23, 20:22   Link #288
mokuseimaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Would the people who are upset have rather had no Haruhi at all?

What if the show had just been further delayed instead showing E8s?

Im asking this seriously not trolling.
Honestly, yes. I would have preferred a delay and serious second season (or whatever) by far.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:32   Link #289
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
This is kind of reaching, but there's a chance it could inspire a nice CYOA game on some message board somewhere, too.
Did someone say CYOA?

http://endlesseight.weebly.com/

I wouldn't actually do the CYOA, though, because it's not finished, but if you're bored you can read OT-kun's story which is the original.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:33   Link #290
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I have to agree with Kaisos. Here they're doing 8 variations of Endless 8...but they don't do any REAL variations that were present in the novel. Like the SOS doing a different job, or any other number of things to liven things up.

Instead they seemed to keep each episode as structurally identical.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:40   Link #291
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokuseimaru View Post
I think "they" are eventually going to lose this sense of "detached, abstract curiosity/fascination". And it might not even be appropriate to call this party a "they" since that faction seems to have been nearly whittled down from a plural to singular.
This, incidentally, is also because people stopped caring enough to argue, since these arguments have gone on for weeks and weeks without changing. And, in truth, it was pointless for me to keep trying to make arguments here as well, since no matter how many alternate ways of looking at it I propose, people have already made up their minds that they hate it and that it's an inexcusable waste of time. So even if there are other people who are interested in this concept in the abstract, they may not be interested enough to discuss it with the people here on AnimeSuki Forums. The vast majority of people reading these threads at this point are just doing it for the lulz.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:46   Link #292
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This arc would be incredibly good even if they lengthened it to eight episodes...

If they took the whole "time loop" concept to its logical conclusion and, you know, actually had different events each episode.

But instead we get this.

*watches Higurashi again and pretends it's Endless Eight episode 8*
Old 2009-07-23, 20:46   Link #293
typhonsentra

And besides that, them changing their clothes every cycle would actually be less realistic than them doing different things or skipping certain events altogether. The cycle always resets to the day of Haruhi's call correct? They'd have no time to shop so their swimsuits at minimum are limited to things they already own. What's the likelihood of a guy like Kyon (ESPECIALLY Kyon) having this many swim trunks just laying around?
Old 2009-07-23, 20:50   Link #294
Texas84
よろしく

I get it now. They are trying to make us feel Nagato's despair. Not watching, not voting. I'll just wait until this board tells me it is over.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:50   Link #295
mokuseimaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This, incidentally, is also because people stopped caring enough to argue, since these arguments have gone on for weeks and weeks without changing. And, in truth, it was pointless for me to keep trying to make arguments here as well, since no matter how many alternate ways of looking at it I propose, people have already made up their minds that they hate it and that it's an inexcusable waste of time. So even if there are other people who are interested in this concept in the abstract, they may not be interested enough to discuss it with the people here on AnimeSuki Forums. The vast majority of people reading these threads at this point are just doing it for the lulz.
By all means, if you have some rational defense of this other than "it's putting the viewer in Yuki's shoes" I'd love to hear it, and assure you I will consider it rationally.

While I admit there have been certain interesting images like the plane and the ticking-screen from some of the episodes, I have found these moments of interest occupying about 15% of total screen time at most. Hence, I deem E8 3-5 (I haven't watched six yet, though I might get around to it) to have been artistic failures...and since people are saying 6 is much of the same, I doubt it will be otherwise. This could have been done and done well, but I will admit that I find watching the same scene of Haruhi introducing activities, most of the O-bon festival, etc. over and over again is a waste of time.
Old 2009-07-23, 21:02   Link #296
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

But instead we get this.

Indeed, every other example of ground hog days were great in either: (+10 points)
Plot progression - Higuraishi, revealing different pieces of the puzzle every loop.
Showing us the possibilities - The very first GHD movie, the SG-1 episode. + considering that Yuki specifically mentions the variations and Kyoani taking the time to reanimate every ep why they don't do this is insanely bizarre.

Not only have they missed a great opportunity (0 points). They made it counter productive and pissed off a lot of the potential patrons of their merchandise. (-20 points) During a recession no less.
Old 2009-07-23, 21:05   Link #297
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

So... endless 8 should ends with 8 eps right?
Old 2009-07-23, 21:12   Link #298
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon

Yes, E8 would have been pretty awesome if every episode had a similar start, but a drastically different conclusion.

Kinda like the movie Run Lola Run.
Old 2009-07-23, 21:21   Link #299
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokuseimaru View Post
By all means, if you have some rational defense of this other than "it's putting the viewer in Yuki's shoes" I'd love to hear it, and assure you I will consider it rationally.
What sort of "rational defense" could there be? They're doing this because they can, because it's different, and because it messes with people's expectations. It does in fact have the side-benefit of making us experience Yuki's frustration, but does that mean this is the only way they could have conveyed this? Of course not. They had all their episode directors take their own turn animating the same basic script, which is why although they're the same, each episode turned out a bit differently. That's really it. It's not as if there's some sort of "trick" that makes it anything other than what it is or will somehow make it "okay" for you. My main point is that I don't see why people are freaking out, because I don't see how this is such a "fatal wound". That's really it, I guess. I'm not trying to "defend the show".

Incidentally, the Episode Director this week was Noriyuki Kitonohara, who did episodes 2, 7 and 13 of K-On (along with episodes 3, 9, and 13 of the original Haruhi run). The Animation Director, though, was Miku Kadowaki, and it looks like this is the first episode they've been full animation director for (having been a key animator for a long time). At this point, they've almost cycled thorugh all of their major Kyoto Animation Episode Directors, with maybe 2 or 3 more names to go.

In terms of a fun theory, I've always liked the idea that they setup these episodes as a sort of "contest" between all the different teams at Kyoto Animation to see who could make the most interesting version given the same script. That they actually got paid to do an experiment like that (and went on to broadcast it) is what's most surprising, of course.
Old 2009-07-23, 21:36   Link #300
topboy
poor man

10/10
Hail Kyoto Ani !
Hail Haruhi anime !

*even If this episode is still picture of cat for 24 minutes , I will still give it 10/10
Closed Thread