AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-10-12, 12:14   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 992 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, after a sudden two-week break, we're back in business! Brief spoiler summary is out, courtesy of AP's Redon and co.:

-Chapter title is something like "Survivors/Remnants". Splash is a color page.

-Interestingly, the chapter begins with Marco and Perospero meeting Big Mom! Peros opens up to his mother about his displeasure about the alliance with Kaidou, which was why he decided to form a temporary truce with Marco on the opposing side. However, Linlin is set in her decision, and asks her son to trust her. Peros reluctantly agrees to cooperate, so this ends the alliance between him and Marco. Linlin then asks Marco why a man of his caliber would choose to fight alongside a kid like Luffy, wondering if the WB pirates have lost their pride. The phoenix-man responds that the WB remnants aren't bound by the old man's words, but are free to act as they please. Linlin seems to respect his words. Nearby, Carrot spots Perospero, and decides to go after him in order to avenge Pedro....!!!

-Meanwhile, Luffy is still trying to reach Kaidou, while Yamato is still chasing after Momonosuke. We then see Black Maria, who isn't fighting, but instead singing a song. Back at the roof, the Scabbards vs. Kaidou rages on! The dragon shows he can do more than spit out fire, as he unleashes lightning bolts when he roars! Each Scabbard gets a chance to show off their techniques, such as a snow-based attack from Kiku, and "cutting bullets" from her brother, Izou! Kaidou starts getting frustrated, wondering how the samurai can hurt him despite them nowhere near Oden's level, then blasts them with another fireball! But this time, it's the ninja Raizou who steps up, who proceeds to use a technique called "Maki Maki no Jutsu" to absorb the flames with a scroll, then reflect them back at the emperor!!!

-After Raizou's counter, we see a brief flashback where Oden offers to teach the Scabbards his two-sword style along with Ryuuou (haki), but they decline. However, Toki tells her husband that they've been secretly competing for the title of Oden's #1 disciple all that time. Back in the present, all of the Scabbards suddenly take Oden's two-sword stance.... and if I'm not mistaken, it also appears all of their blades are black. They then simultaneously launch Oden's Tougen Totsuka attack on Kaidou, even wounding him at the same spot their master did twenty years ago....!!!!!

-BTW, in case anyone was unaware, the chapter (officially) releases earlier this week, on Friday, to be exact! That's because the magazine will be released earlier in Japan, as well (Saturday). Doesn't look like there's a break next week either, so that's another neat thing to look forward to!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-10-15 at 03:18.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-12, 17:07   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I know about her nickname, but Kiku can make snow based attack? Like, how? Snow DF is already taken. Well, was.
Old 2020-10-14, 10:08   Link #3
Itsmepatrick

Well there's Kinemon who can Cut Fire and generate fire based attacks so shouldn't be surprised with that thing. You should be more surprised with that absurd and weird ability of Raizo using Ninja scroll.
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 18:54   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmepatrick View Post
Well there's Kinemon who can Cut Fire and generate fire based attacks so shouldn't be surprised with that thing. You should be more surprised with that absurd and weird ability of Raizo using Ninja scroll.
Kinemon can only cut fire IIRC. And we've seen Luffy producing fire using friction, so there's that. How do you produce snow though?

There was nothing about Raizo at the time I posted. It's possible his is actually a DF power.
Old 2020-10-15, 03:30   Link #5
marvelB

Okay, OP updated! Damn, the Scabbards are giving Kaidou one hell of a fight! And as I mentioned in the summary, it looks like they managed to turn their blades black.... which is curious, since Oden didn't seem capable of that in the flashback. Or maybe it's just the shading that gives the swords their darker appearance....?

Also, a little disappointed that the Marco/Peros alliance apparently ended before it even started. But, as I mentioned in a past thread, I can very much see Peros betraying his mother, so the alliance may still be on the table. If that's indeed the case, then Marco or someone else will hopefully stop Carrot from seeking revenge for the duration of the war, since Peros would make for a rather powerful ally against Kaidou's forces....
Old 2020-10-15, 11:05   Link #6
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Also, a little disappointed that the Marco/Peros alliance apparently ended before it even started. But, as I mentioned in a past thread, I can very much see Peros betraying his mother, so the alliance may still be on the table. If that's indeed the case, then Marco or someone else will hopefully stop Carrot from seeking revenge for the duration of the war, since Peros would make for a rather powerful ally against Kaidou's forces....
Considering how Big Mom tells Perospero to trust her, I think it's implied that Big Mom will betray Kaido later. So the Marco/Perospero alliance could very well still happen in that scenario. This also makes the fall of both Kaido and Big Mom more plausible.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2020-10-15 at 11:56.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 16:10   Link #7
Theia_Loki

Dang! I love Yamato's coloration! She'll fit right in if she joins.

Also, yeah it looks like Raizou's technique is based on either a devil's fruit he hasn't revealed or from actual scrolls that really can do what they just did this chapter. We've seen sword techniques that have been done without the use of a DF, such as Wiper's iron cloud from Skypiea and Kaku using Rankyaku in tandem with his two swords in Enies Lobby, not to mention Vista's flower petals (in the Anime) where he clashed with Mihawk.

And considering Big Mom's history of duplicity and deception as well as backstabbing and betrayal (thank you 'Tea Parties'), I'm counting on her looking to make off with Kaido's Road Poneglyth on top of anything else she and Perospero pull off. There's bound to be at least that or something (short of Blackbeard and possibly the Navy and CP-0 intervening as well) to justify Luffy bringing all his allies to bear against her again later down the line, including a pending return to Fishman Island.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 18:15   Link #8
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I'm starting to think Black Maria is like the rooster bard from Disney's Robin Hood, like she gets involved in the actual story, but she's more like the Eiichiro inserted bard/oracle of the arc.
Old 2020-10-15, 23:50   Link #9
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
yea, I can't wait to see her in the show

Quote:
Also, yeah it looks like Raizou's technique is based on either a devil's fruit he hasn't revealed or from actual scrolls that really can do what they just did this chapter.
my hunch is that it'll just get filed away under ninja techniques. It's similar to scroll techs from Naruto like most of what we've seen from Raizou and I mean that in a good way haha

Quote:
There's bound to be at least that or something (short of Blackbeard and possibly the Navy and CP-0 intervening as well) to justify Luffy bringing all his allies to bear against her again later down the line, including a pending return to Fishman Island.
Not saying I expect BB to show up anytime soon, but Shiryu has Wano connections so it isn't off the table for some kind of BB crew involvement
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 03:55   Link #10
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
I quite agree. We need more female members.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 11:23   Link #11
Galaxian

Screw Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece is now my favorite samurai manga.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 12:32   Link #12
marvelB

Hm, judging from the official TL, it seems implied that the Scabbards eventually accepted Oden's tutelage despite their initial refusal in that flashback, which.... uh, makes sense since they clearly used their master's technique on Kaidou in the end there, heh. And yeah, it's looking like Raizou's scroll technique is DF-related, from the way he described it (he claims he can wrap them around "anything in existence"....including Kaidou's flames). I'm still a bit iffy on whether or not the Scabbards have black blades, though.... again, it could just be the shading that makes them look that way, but I think that would also partly explain how they're able to wound Kaidou, despite none of them being as powerful as Oden was....
Old 2020-10-16, 13:10   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kiku's attack just looked like a normal slicing attack. It seems like she simply gave it a fancy name.

As for Raizou, I'm leaning toward his scroll having eaten a DF.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting the Scabbards to do this well against Kaido. Then again, it's just the beginning.
Old 2020-10-18, 04:01   Link #14
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Screw Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece is now my favorite samurai manga.
and my favorite ninja manga as well

at first I thought Luffy is the one that going to take down Kaido but I'm not sure anymore
Kaido looks so unprepared while the samurai got too many secret weapon and technique
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-18, 22:53   Link #15
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Raizou’s scroll attack is the new impact dial. Never really crossed my mind as being a DF ability.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 10:27   Link #16
necrolyte

When I remember that Kinemon was stuck to a Dragon's ass and now he is strong enough to fight the strongest man alive something feels terribly off. Othen than that I was actually pretty sure the samurai will inflict some damage to Kaido before they get beaten to crisps but still it looks like they did more damage than expected.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote