AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-18, 20:56   Link #1
ReneaAener

Any Recommendations

Something with a good moving original story, that will make me want more....not that villian of the week stuff....I've already seen most of The 12 Kingdoms(really love the main character) but since it license i willl have to wait....I was hoping you guys would help me out....Thanks in advance.
Old 2003-11-18, 21:30   Link #2
Lambda

Scrapped Princess seems a good overall choice, excellent quality with no real weaknesses, certainly a decent story.

Princess Tutu is absolutely wonderful, you just need to get past the name and the first few episodes. One of the best and most original stories ever.
Old 2003-11-18, 22:02   Link #3
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

how bout Last Exile but its licensed though
Old 2003-11-18, 23:16   Link #4
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I was goin to say Last Exile as well........ um... check out Gilgamesh and Tsukihime.......
Old 2003-11-19, 03:45   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

If you want something different with a compelling story, then try one of these:
  • Condor Hero - Think of the best Hong Kong martial arts movie that you've ever seen. This is strong on characterization and drama with a few really kick-ass fights thrown in for good measure.
  • Princess Tutu - I think I was the one who recommended this to Lambda. I remember him complaining, "I can't believe that I'm downloading something called Princess Tutu!" Now he's recommending it to others. This is a dark and deep show about fairy tales hidden under a sweet and bright surface. Don't let the surface fool you!
  • Tenshi na Konamaiki - Some serious gender wierdness, but strangely this isn't a wierd show. This is a romantic comedy whose theme is exploring the underlying differences between men and women. Definetly not a harem show!
Every one of these shows is unique and extraudinary. Please enjoy them.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-19, 03:47   Link #6
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I recommend those three above also, they all have very unique storys that will keep you wanting more.

edit: I forgot to mention Twin Spica, although only 2 eps has been released its good has a nice orignal storyline, seems kinda weird at first but its good. Made me almost cry in the first episode. Anyways check out animenfo for more info on these series

Last edited by Keitarou20; 2003-11-19 at 03:58.
Old 2003-11-19, 06:16   Link #7
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I think I was the one who recommended this to Lambda. I remember him complaining, "I can't believe that I'm downloading something called Princess Tutu!" Now he's recommending it to others.
You must be thinking of someone else. I actually first encountered it when an episode was shown at my anime society in the "random episode of the week" slot.
Old 2003-11-19, 06:18   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Darn. I wish I could remember who it was...

Anyway, Did the rest of your anime group like it?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-19, 06:29   Link #9
Lambda

It seemed to go down pretty well, though purely as a "strange comedy" (this was episode 2.) It does have a few fans within the society, and a strong underground movement to get it shown fully, which this year was unfortunately defeated by things more people knew about.

Actually, the idea that it was much more than just a strange comedy (and therefore meriting further investigation) I got from browsing reviews at AnimeNfo.
Old 2003-11-19, 09:02   Link #10
ReneaAener

Thanks,,,,, right now im going to check out Princess Tutu/Scrapped Pincess/Condor Hero sounds cool.......I also liked LastExile, but why did they have to licensed it so soon. ..But i did see it coming though, too great not to .... I just hope the DvD's be great, filled with lots of extras.......Well, I will check out the other series as soon as possible.
Old 2003-11-22, 02:37   Link #11
Ainana

Wink

A warning about Princess Tutu. It is a great intriguing story, but tied in with it, is often a villian of the week magical girl style feel. The story does develop pretty fast despite this (it finishs in like 25 episodes I think) but be forewarned...there is *some* formulae in the episodes. It develops most towards episode 11 or 12. I still recommend it, but it may not be for you.

Other good ones is
Peacemaker Kurogane (It draws from some real facts and history and while the main character is fictional, a dark story of history is being played out for us from the perspective of people we all ready know from history and Kenshin, will somehow lose) (Unless that happens much later in history....my Japanese history isn't the best)

Shingetsutan Tsukihime - WEIRD. Confusing in the first episode. Not even my normal style of anime. But really drawing. I hate scary stuff. Yet, I was watching the first 5 episodes one after another in the dead of the night straight through...
It's somehow facinating
Old 2003-11-22, 04:54   Link #12
Zoya
Dazed and Confused

Full Moon wo Sagashite - Dramatic story that is sometimes sweet and touching and at other times heart-wrenchingly sad. It has a fully realized plot, though there are a fair number of epiodes used for filler. Well-worth the watch if you don't mind a hint of magical girl.
Old 2003-11-22, 13:17   Link #13
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
Gunslinger girl is awsome (so far)... It's about little girls assigned to be assasins. It kinda drags on but its still awsome. It looks like its becoming pretty popular, It's kinda depressing though
Old 2003-11-22, 17:08   Link #14
ReneaAener

Full Moon wo Sagashite, Im only missing a few episodes(-8-), but its kinda hard to download,....i hate batch download. I wish they put them one by one. So, it will be awhile before i get that one.....Anyways,Im starting to like Princess Tutu....im only missing 19.0 thats all. If anyone has it please upload.
Old 2003-11-22, 17:30   Link #15
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Try Tsukihime and Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, both very involving series also.
Old 2003-11-22, 17:37   Link #16
Kensuke

Try Triangle Heart, its an OAV and two episodes has been released so far. Kind of detective story, some action (with katanas and firearms, cool!).

Other mentioned: Twin Spica and Shingetsutan Tsukihime, both are at least worth checking out.
Old 2003-11-26, 00:17   Link #17
jUkUmI

I love and am loving Condor Hero... it is such a good story... I have thought 'what kind of story is this?!' but once I watch it I absolutly love it!... And Tenshi na Konamaiki is soooo funny... I enjoyed and am enjoying it alot !!!
Old 2003-11-26, 12:36   Link #18
LuciaMelody

Send a message via AIM to LuciaMelody
Im watching Princess Tutu now - its soo good!

A lot of people say nice reviews about Full Moon too....
Closed Thread