AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 93 45.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 17.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-02, 08:43   Link #201
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Those "try to find meaning in all of this and participate in school life" and "had questions too but decided to join the school life after some time passed" were confirmed to disappear by the SSS teams through.....

And if they already knows the secret behind the world, then at least one of those x thousands students will tell the SSS somehow. Or care to mention abut their previous life. Or try to stop their dinners to be blown away. Things like that. In fact Yuri probably have been there for even 5 years or more, considering how she realised that no one aged
Old 2010-05-02, 08:55   Link #202
brocko

One of the things that still gets me now is how they go through all this trouble rebelling against Tenshi because she's so threatening and what not, yet despite all this they still jolly off eating in the cafeteria out in the open where they're all essentially sitting ducks waiting to get picked off. It's just downright counter-productive and you're pretty much asking to be shot and that's exactly what happened here at the end of the episode.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2010-05-02, 08:57   Link #203
Key Board
Carbon

>>>Those "try to find meaning in all of this and participate in school life" and "had questions too but decided to join the school life after some time passed" were confirmed to disappear by the SSS teams through.....

Yes, they do disappear. It's agreed upon that some people like Imasawa chose to disappear out of their own will.

>>>And if they already knows the secret behind the world, then at least one of those x thousands students will tell the SSS somehow. Or care to mention abut their previous life.

At this point I think Yuri knows and have been told many things.
She just doesn't accept it and hide the more disastrous secrets from her group.

And it's really hard to argue with someone whose mind is set on something.

>>>Or try to stop their dinners to be blown away. Things like that.

It seems pretty hard to do. Even Tenshi got her ticket blown away. It must be a pretty strong fan.
Maybe they just let it go because they are Galdemo fans

>>>In fact Yuri probably have been there for even 5 years or more, considering how she realised that no one aged

Yes, no one ages, because they're either dead or everyone is a program
Old 2010-05-02, 09:18   Link #204
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Yes, they do disappear. It's agreed upon that some people like Imasawa chose to disappear out of their own will.

At this point I think Yuri knows and have been told many things.
She just doesn't accept it and hide the more disastrous secrets from her group.

And it's really hard to argue with someone whose mind is set on something.

It seems pretty hard to do. Even Tenshi got her ticket blown away. It must be a pretty strong fan.
Maybe they just let it go because they are Galdemo fans

Yes, no one ages, because they're either dead or everyone is a program
Ok let's just say you can decide to stay or to disappear. Why everyone Yuri knew decided to disappear then? Why others were not told anything by the NPC, but only Yuri? And they could just hide their tickets in their pocket or something.

The only thing i got from above is Yuri have already known the major secret of the world. But since she's a sadist and Tenshi is just so cute. So she decided to act like she don't know and make up things so she can bully Tenshi instead?

Actually i want to see that.....
Old 2010-05-02, 09:58   Link #205
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Considering the fact that they didn't even know her name, I wonder about the questions they were asking her. It also seems that they didn't even ask or inquire why the teachers are there and whether they know some info.
I bet they weren't even asking properly, bet it went something along the lines of:
"Hey you! WTF is going on here!? ┴─┴ ~╰(‵□′#)╯~ ┴─┴ You are gonna get a punch in the face if you don't answer!"

*GS-Sonic to the face*
Old 2010-05-02, 10:01   Link #206
Qikz

I really enjoyed this episode, I love how Christ kept getting interupted while trying to tell Yuri and everyone else to call him Christ, it's never going to happen. ^^

I loved the song in this episode too, really enjoying this show.
Old 2010-05-02, 10:15   Link #207
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I really enjoyed this episode, I love how Christ kept getting interupted while trying to tell Yuri and everyone else to call him Christ, it's never going to happen. ^^
Someone really needs to smack the glasses off him every time he says that, would make the gag a lot more enjoyable and funny I'd find. Right now as it is, it's just damn irritating and annoying

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2010-05-02, 11:07   Link #208
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by En3mick View Post
Pretty much all of them are clueless, the informations that they have are just limited and in some points none ^^
And lol, they didn't even knew her name? The first thing to do is learn about your enemy as much information as possible in order to defeat him - her in this situation - .

Also, from the moment that they suspected that she was a human they could had tried a different way to approach her, but the way Yuri acts is more like "i will go against everyone and i will do things my own way".
Yuri don't want to know her name, she just want someone she can blame.
Yuri mad because she had unfair life and "heaven" wasn't as she expected, so she'll do anything to disturb that "heaven". she doesn't care if Kanada isn't a real angel, she doesn't care if the other students are NPC or not, she doesn't care if she hurts the other members of SSS - she just want a revenge.

it's clear that Yuri is the most veteran among the SSS and probably the one who found the SSS, I'm sure she's hiding something.
Old 2010-05-02, 11:14   Link #209
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Might I remind everybody that Angel Beats is a mixed media project, in the sense that it is released in multiple media covering different parts of the whole story near-simultaneously. Thus, if you want in-depth knowledge regarding the characters and their motives (including how the SSS was formed and other background info), you need to be exposed to the other media, especially the prequel novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Uh yes I would. Especially when I had no clue what on earth was going and it seems she might have some answers. Also she rarely if ever acts in a somewhat aggressive manner. Nobody is trying to figure out where they are and who is in charge. Given that the teachers could remove Tenshi from Student Council President means that the teachers are a higher level of authority. This isn't even retrospective but just using some basic common sense. All these guys are doing is rebelling just to rebel. It's obvious that nobody there except for maybe the teachers and Tenshi have any clue what is going and what they're doing. It also seems nobody has gone up to her and just asked her how much she knows, she might not answer or even know but it gives off the impression that they haven't tried.
No. And they did. Read the prequel.

Quote:
I'm starting to think that there are things no such as NPCs

Either that or everyone is an NPC
There are NPCs (or, if you will, non-human characters). Read the prequel. In-universe, it's pretty easy to tell NPCs from humans once you figure out that this isn't the world that you've been living your life. For example, a new [human] student suddenly appears out of nowhere, and the NPCs act as if he/she had been there (and was part of the class) the whole time. They don't go to unnecessary places like the school roof or the principal's office (for the student NPCs), etc. They are programmed to have normal human-like emotions, yet they are only able to act within certain constraints, probably to help emulate the perfectly peaceful school atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Where do I read this novel ?
Check the novel thread right here in this subforum: Angel Beats! - Novel Translation Thread
Old 2010-05-02, 11:27   Link #210
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm not sure where the plot is going to go now. Either Kanade joins the SSS, or they will try to have reinstated as the student council president. But how is the SSS going to fight against God now that they know there is no Angel or anything of the sort at the school? Their attempts at rebelling seem rather pointless.
Well, I'll only refer to my earlier post from episode 3 here. I think everything I wrote back then is still 100% valid now.

In fact, I'd say that showing Yuri's rebellion as pointless is the entire point of ep5. We can see exactly the developments now which could be predicted before:

1) Otonashi is gradually getting estranged from the Yurippe crew, by developing an interest and growing sympathy for Angel.

2) Angel is proving more and more to be just like all the others and NO punishing avatar of god.

3) Yuri is getting increasingly confused and irritated now that she is losing her (subconscious) scapegoat. Which is an interesting observation, because at least, she is bright enough to draw the right conclusions out of her observations, while her followers are mostly (excuse me) stupid sheep.

My sympathies for Angel. Assuming that my theories about her are right, she will now feel like having failed even more - since disaster struck even more in the afterlife world now, too. I hope that Otonashi is going to wisen up soonish...
Old 2010-05-02, 11:45   Link #211
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Might I remind everybody that Angel Beats is a mixed media project, in the sense that it is released in multiple media covering different parts of the whole story near-simultaneously. Thus, if you want in-depth knowledge regarding the characters and their motives (including how the SSS was formed and other background info), you need to be exposed to the other media, especially the prequel novel.

No. And they did. Read the prequel.

There are NPCs (or, if you will, non-human characters). Read the prequel. In-universe, it's pretty easy to tell NPCs from humans once you figure out that this isn't the world that you've been living your life. For example, a new [human] student suddenly appears out of nowhere, and the NPCs act as if he/she had been there (and was part of the class) the whole time. They don't go to unnecessary places like the school roof or the principal's office (for the student NPCs), etc. They are programmed to have normal human-like emotions, yet they are only able to act within certain constraints, probably to help emulate the perfectly peaceful school atmosphere.

Check the novel thread right here in this subforum: Angel Beats! - Novel Translation Thread
Thank you my friend. 14 pages into the novel and it is more than enough for me to brush off all these Yuri's resentment.
I have to say that Hinata somehow turned out to be a pretty good protagonist. Likes him more than Otonashi already......

And Yuri is really the best character of Angel Beats....

And
Spoiler for Hitana's cause of death:
Old 2010-05-02, 12:06   Link #212
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Spoiler for Hitana's cause of death:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Angel Beats = Let's bully the angel: the animation
I have a better name, it's called:
Old 2010-05-02, 12:08   Link #213
Crontica

I like AngelBrutes! Or BeatAngel! better
Old 2010-05-02, 12:10   Link #214
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Spoiler:

I have a better name, it's called:
epic. almost as epic as Soul Society of Suzumiya.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:13   Link #215
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
I like AngelBrutes! Or BeatAngel! better
Haha. BeatAngel. That would make a great name instead of SSS.

They can be: The Beat Angel Battlefront

Better than the Barnacle Battlefront.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:22   Link #216
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
while still high on drugs?
Most likely no... Around 90%
Old 2010-05-02, 12:27   Link #217
Dark Wing

The Novels make for a excellent read and I think everyone should take the time to at lest read through it.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:29   Link #218
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Since almost no one knows where the SSS sleeps, eats, or even where the name Tenshi came from. I will say most of us didn't read it.
Old 2010-05-02, 13:40   Link #219
descent87

Great thread so far, love reading most of the discussion here.

I am personally not as mad as some people with regards to the Yuri and the SSS because of just how little understanding there still is of the secrets behind there situation. In someways both Yuri and Tenshi were guilty of this, but yes personally I do side with Kanade alot more because she is so much less annoying and much more appealing than Yuri and her antics.

Yuri's self-awareness of just how wrong they were with regards to Kanade was rather redeeming to me however and if her behavior somewhat changes from now on it will be more appealing to me, she was very solemn at the end of this episode. And lets not forget the SSS are not solely driven by the desire to cause ruckus and bully poor Tenshi (as angry as it makes me) they have that whole unfair death and unexplained afterlife thing eating at them too, some irrational behavior is expected.

While I loved all the comedy in the episode perhaps my favorite part was actually seeing Angel play along in one of the gags herself. The "So the might actually be more than three Hinatas....discomforting" comment was EPIC and she worked rather perfectly in the passively funny role.

Question: I am not too experienced an anime watcher, where did Otonashi's quote about Hinata, the "the me of today might not be same as the me of tomorrow" thing make reference to? I was a little lost there, Thanks.
Old 2010-05-02, 14:04   Link #220
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Haha. BeatAngel. That would make a great name instead of SSS.

They can be: The Beat Angel Battlefront

Better than the Barnacle Battlefront.
how about Beat Angel Esclayer