Old 2007-06-19, 20:37   Link #221
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 20:50   Link #222
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
My, somebody thinks Isako and Yusako are going to grow up to be real babes.

Assuming, of course, they get to. I think it's too early in the series to presume script immunity for Isako -- or, necessarily, Yusako. Somehow I get the feeling that eventually Isako may discover that fooling around with the fundamental nature of reality is not a safe pastime (although she certainly seems to be doing a good job of treaching that to Daichi...).

Spoiler for ep 5 climax:
Old 2007-06-19, 22:14   Link #223
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'd say that there is precedence for script immunity here.

Our perspective is thru Yasako. So, she survives no matter what imo. Isako is yang to Yasako's yin and she's more experienced. Whatever destructive force happens, it's prob related to her so she'll survive until the end imo.

The characters are children 12 years old in age. Bokurano had an uproar over this issue when the director commented in his blog.

This title is Ghibli (Miyazaki)-like in nature. No children died in his titles. Grave of the Fireflies is not a Miyazaki title.

Spoiler for .hack anime:
Old 2007-06-19, 22:30   Link #224
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Spoiler for .hack anime:
Actually that's not technically true, although there's certainly been no violent or onscreen human deaths.
Paranoia833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 22:35   Link #225
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler for .hack anime:
Spoiler for .hack//SIGN ep 26:
Old 2007-06-19, 23:06   Link #226
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
Spoiler for .hack//SIGN and .hack//ROOTS:

Just to keep things on topic, add me to the rapidly growing pile of people impressed by this show. I can't wait to see what evil Isako and her new minions will get up to.
Old 2007-06-19, 23:20   Link #227
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia833 View Post
Just to keep things on topic, add me to the rapidly growing pile of people impressed by this show. I can't wait to see what evil Isako and her new minions will get up to.
You know, I'm not entirely convinced Isako is evil. You can be a ruthless, manipulative uberbitch with delusions of godhood and yet not be evil, and I get the feeling this is what Isako is.

Isako has a goal. We don't know what that goal is yet, but we know it is very important to her. It puts her into conflict with Yusako and Fumie. Specifially, Yusako's dreams are warning her not to "open the door", and isako is attempting to open a door -- into what we don't yet know. But why does she do what she does? Assuming she is not utterly insane, she believes that if she achieves her goal something good is going to happen, good enough that it will justify everything she has to do in order to accomplish it.

It could be that her belief in a positive result is groundless. It is quite possible that what she is doing could cause a great deal of harm, or possibly total catastrophe. it is possible that her actions will cause pain and suffering she did not anticipate.

It is what Isako does then that, to my mind, will determine whether Isako is truly evil or merely misguided.
Old 2007-06-19, 23:31   Link #228
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Oh I don't really think she's evil, it doesn't really seem in this show's character to have truly evil child antagonists, it just sounded fun to say.

Heck for all we know Isako could be right all along. Yasako clearly doesn't see the bigger picture whatever it is, either due to some kind of amnesia or because she wasn't old enough to remember whatever went down in her past properly. Either way it'll be fun to watch.
Old 2007-06-20, 03:58   Link #229
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Two new Motivators from ep 2 screenshots. Nothing especially spoilery.

Old 2007-06-20, 04:01   Link #230
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Hehe, that second one made me giggle.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 09:04   Link #231
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

But...

Spoiler for .hack anime:

Back to the discussion.....

I agree. The second one is funny.
Old 2007-06-20, 09:13   Link #232
Muddle!

Send a message via AIM to Muddle!
Thanks wao and tgirl for providing information about the screen in ep. 4! I've been wondering alot about that since watching the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgirl View Post
It'll be some twist if Isako also came from Kanazawa, or she did have some sort of a past there. Or maybe her mysterious "contact" is from Kanazawa. I have to wonder though how Yasako's "ヨヨ二-san" is going to play in all of this.
I thought that Yasako and Fumie mention she was from Kanazawa after she is introduced to the class in episode four? Either way it's all very interesting and I can't wait for more.
Muddle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 09:14   Link #233
PastPrime

Quote:
You know, I'm not entirely convinced Isako is evil. You can be a ruthless, manipulative uberbitch with delusions of godhood and yet not be evil, and I get the feeling this is what Isako is.

Isako has a goal. We don't know what that goal is yet, but we know it is very important to her. It puts her into conflict with Yusako and Fumie. Specifially, Yusako's dreams are warning her not to "open the door", and isako is attempting to open a door -- into what we don't yet know. But why does she do what she does? Assuming she is not utterly insane, she believes that if she achieves her goal something good is going to happen, good enough that it will justify everything she has to do in order to accomplish it.

It could be that her belief in a positive result is groundless. It is quite possible that what she is doing could cause a great deal of harm, or possibly total catastrophe. it is possible that her actions will cause pain and suffering she did not anticipate.

It is what Isako does then that, to my mind, will determine whether Isako is truly evil or merely misguided.
I suspect that whatever happened to Yusako the last time that she came to the city, that caused her to write that number sequence in her book and is causing her dreams also happened to Isako, that it might actually be Isako's brother warning about the door and Isako is trying by any means to get him back. In the end they will probably be working together.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 09:59   Link #234
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
My, somebody thinks Isako and Yusako are going to grow up to be real babes.
I don't think the fan-artists really want them to grow-up.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 10:14   Link #235
David Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
presentation where you have, say, children stumbling across a computer virus hidden on a street corner. When one comes into contact with the virus, the spectacles will break and so on, but there's no bodily harm done. There's also no way to feel the fur* and such of (virtual) pets. That feeling of distance in being unable to touch what you see before your eyes is one of the things I wanted to accomplish with this work.:
I think he failed. There're a lot of scenes that are positively dependant on the characters being able to have tactile contact with the cyberartifacts. For a start, any scene where that girl runs around clutching the dog to herself doesn't make sense if she can't feel the dog. Her hands would be going right through it.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 10:27   Link #236
wao
OK.

What he means is that she can apparently hold the dog but she can't feel the furriness of it. She mentions this in a later episode that she can't feel the 'furriness' of Densuke. She can see what Densuke is like but she doesn't know what Densuke should "feel" like; even for someone like Kyoko who keeps teasing Densuke it might have a very neutral sensation on the skin. Somebody else in this thread (was it te2rx?) mentioned how it's possible that the virtual reality just gets constantly updated with different sprites as Densuke is getting "picked up" or something.

Perhaps it's possible for the pet owners to upgrade their pet to have "furriness". It brings to mind how Fumie was mentioning to Yasako in ep 5 about how the digital pets are made to look all hot and sweaty but it's not like they really are, or something along those lines (the pet-making companies can anyway tweak with the pets themselves).

Personally I always felt that the way the digital objects have those scanlines it makes them appear clearly flat despite having shadows drawn in. Although I do agree it's not a very clearly felt effect of the show.

It would be a nice ironic circle or something if they did put out Densuke/Oyaji plushies. So you can feel them!
Old 2007-06-20, 12:04   Link #237
aorta

Haptic technology might be able to make the pets feel furry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haptic
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 21:03   Link #238
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Episode five continued the story well. Keeping me keenly interested. This is a series that can actually keep you on the edge of your seat, which is odd considering it's not really action. =p This is definitely shaping up to be my top pick quirky, off-beat series of 2007. (Mushishi was 2006)
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 19:31   Link #239
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

This is my first post in this thread, although I've been following this show from the start. If only days were made of 48 hours then I guess I'd probably have enough time to post and follow each discussion on every show that I watch.

Anyway. I have a question/stupid theory in mind: I had the impression that the person, or rather the "voice" that Yasako hears during her dream in episode 1 was actually Haraken's voice. Maybe it's just a remotely theory, but the two voices seemed to be similar (I guess I'll have to rewatch those episodes to make sure). This is also furtherly strenghtened by the fact that so far Haraken is quite a mysterious character, and he does give the impression that he's actually doing things "from the shadows" (he's quite a discrete character). But heh, it's a wild speculation, which could totally prove to be wrong.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 14:21   Link #240
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

There must be a mistake, that is actually your 6th post in this thread.
Those kids must have caused another error while playing with the system.

Regarding your theory, Haraken is the boy, president of the biology club, correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
Episode five continued the story well. Keeping me keenly interested. This is a series that can actually keep you on the edge of your seat, which is odd considering it's not really action. =p This is definitely shaping up to be my top pick quirky, off-beat series of 2007. (Mushishi was 2006)
For me the show doesn't seem very interesting, yet. All be it the pressure of seriously awesome plot is there, I see nothing to make my jaw drop, and I've seen enough shows with promise but no go. So, for the time being I'll wait and see if it really is as great as it labels itself. My personal hopes at the moment are for it to continue another episode or so with this relaxing slice of life approach and start twisting and turning from there.

Tags
science fiction