AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 23 23.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 52.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-11, 23:23   Link #121
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Among the Western fandom, yes.
Old 2009-01-11, 23:24   Link #122
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Ja-yan-to would be how it will be pronounced in Japanese.

I don't think Ami is hated by the majority. If anything, she's the most liked among the women of Toradora.
i really hated her at first...once i got to see her "true" self, i just couldn't resist but say i frigging love her
Old 2009-01-11, 23:33   Link #123
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Among the Western fandom, yes.
I disagree. Among the not-Japan fandom, perhaps. A lot of people except maybe the Japanese have a strong appreciation toward Ami.
Old 2009-01-11, 23:51   Link #124
504NOSON
newbie with vet. status

Nice episode. Not sure if it was filler or not, but, nice none the less. Especially how Ryuuji gives Ami the pork(or was it beef?)after they leave the grocery store and she tells her Dad,"I'm eating well, now". I kind of hope she and Ryuuji hit it off. But, I'm torn between hoping for Taiga and Minorin, as well.
Old 2009-01-12, 08:32   Link #125
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Quote:
I disagree. Among the not-Japan fandom, perhaps. A lot of people except maybe the Japanese have a strong appreciation toward Ami.
The vast majority of not-Japan fan should be call 'western'. And in some cultures alike Japanese [Chinese, Korean], Taiga maybe is 'the' beloved one.

Well, it's just words. I hope I help in somethin'.
Old 2009-01-12, 09:16   Link #126
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_ View Post
The vast majority of not-Japan fan should be call 'western'. And in some cultures alike Japanese [Chinese, Korean], Taiga maybe is 'the' beloved one.

Well, it's just words. I hope I help in somethin'.
wait wait, can you explain this to me? Why would "chinese, korean, and japanese" people (asians?) prefer taiga? What makes you group them together?
Old 2009-01-12, 09:50   Link #127
wistfulloner

He's having the opinion that all Asians think alike when it comes to anime.

Yes, I don't quite understand. Why is it all Asians would prefer Taiga? I'm Chinese, but I appreciate Ami's thoughts and feelings too.
Old 2009-01-12, 10:08   Link #128
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
He's having the opinion that all Asians think alike when it comes to anime.

Yes, I don't quite understand. Why is it all Asians would prefer Taiga? I'm Chinese, but I appreciate Ami's thoughts and feelings too.
yeah i agree...i mean i was born in the US, but still, i don't see how all "asians" would prefer Taiga...i frigging love ami now

Unless you have a good reason i'm not seeing, please explain yourself. I don't want to flat out say you're pretty darn offensive, kinda want to hear your side first. What makes u make that claim? Same goes for Kaisos, what do you mean that the Western fanbase prefers Ami? Why is that?
Old 2009-01-12, 10:59   Link #129
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

People, no need to feel so puffed up about nothing. It's quite poignant how western/eastern preferences are, however seldom, somewhat different.
Case in point, with the more precise example I can remember of the top of my head: western audiences prefer Misa Hayase over Lynn Minmey, as regards the original SDF Macross, while japanese audiences idolize the latter. In the same universe, western audiences generally despise Macross 7, but in Japan it was a huge hit.

It's just a minor cultural difference, and no need to cause a flame war.

Old 2009-01-12, 12:56   Link #130
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What nationalities prefer Minorin? Perhaps I was, unknowingly, born there and adopted.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2009-01-12 at 13:47.
Old 2009-01-12, 14:25   Link #131
maxpepper

Hi, I'm from Argentina and I prefer Taiga. I like Ami too but Taiga is definitely the best. As for Minorin, I just can't stand her, she's annoying and her roleplaying or whatever you call it makes me hope something bad happens to her...
Old 2009-01-12, 15:16   Link #132
Voitan

Quote:
Ja-yan-to would be how it will be pronounced in Japanese.

I don't think Ami is hated by the majority. If anything, she's the most liked among the women of Toradora.
Yeah, I don't see where people are getting the vibe that people hate Ami, her thread easily has twice to three times the numbers of views and over double the posts of any of the other character threads.

Though there are people who occasionally come in to talk down on people for mentioning their personal preference for a Ryuuji x Ami end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpepper View Post
As for Minorin, I just can't stand her, she's annoying and her roleplaying or whatever you call it makes me hope something bad happens to her...
Wow... I think kids are growing up to decide on their preferences on an extreme Love or HATE paradigm. Minorin is a great gal and a good friend to the cast of characters, wishing ill on her doesn't have any logic or reason to it.
Old 2009-01-12, 15:35   Link #133
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpepper View Post
Hi, I'm from Argentina and I prefer Taiga. I like Ami too but Taiga is definitely the best. As for Minorin, I just can't stand her, she's annoying and her roleplaying or whatever you call it makes me hope something bad happens to her...
That's a bit harsh...Minorin probably has a reason for the way she behaves (that we're not told yet), so once that's revealed, might be something so dramatic, all fans like her then/sympathize with her...

anyway, id say i'm really stuck between taiga and Ami, and given last episode, i prefer him being with Ami. (This is only based off of how much we know...which is always subject to change)
Old 2009-01-12, 16:44   Link #134
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
wait wait, can you explain this to me? Why would "chinese, korean, and japanese" people (asians?) prefer taiga? What makes you group them together?
OMG - not a flame war, please.

I just point that Far East people have cultural similarities, so 'they' tend to [in plural, the standard citizen] love the 'Taiga-type' character more than 'Ami-type' one.

Far East people had, long ago, the same cultural background in origin - in West people, in the same way, too.

Not being, in the slightest, racist. We all have our cultural influences, people - even NEETs and et cetera.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

And I talked about majorities, not about ALL people. Sometimes people start to act like the only choices are a green YES and a red NO.
Old 2009-01-12, 17:16   Link #135
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
OMG - not a flame war, please.

I just point that Far East people have cultural similarities, so 'they' tend to [in plural, the standard citizen] love the 'Taiga-type' character more than 'Ami-type' one.

Far East people had, long ago, the same cultural background in origin - in West people, in the same way, too.

Not being, in the slightest, racist. We all have our cultural influences, people - even NEETs and et cetera.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

And I talked about majorities, not about ALL people. Sometimes people start to act like the only choices are a green YES and a red NO.
I know, i'm asking you to EXPLAIN to me what "cultural" similarities that far east people would have that would CAUSE them to like/prefer a character such as Taiga...i just can't draw the line. All i'm asking for is for you to give me an example...like

for example: say you said that people who emphasize the importance of education (a lot) will prefer to like taiga...then i'll be like Okay, so those type of people will prefer them

^ That's what i want to hear, just please elaborate
Old 2009-01-12, 17:29   Link #136
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Quote:
I know, i'm asking you to EXPLAIN to me what "cultural" similarities that far east people would have that would CAUSE them to like/prefer a character such as Taiga...i just can't draw the line. All i'm asking for is for you to give me an example...like

for example: say you said that people who emphasize the importance of education (a lot) will prefer to like taiga...then i'll be like Okay, so those type of people will prefer them

^ That's what i want to hear, just please elaborate
Put it [too much] simply, in Japan the society likes more Taiga's submissive behaviour - yes, they're kinda sexist, and shounen characters like Orihime Inoue and Hyuuga Hinata are just like that - submissive and with a 'great' body - and grey eyes, so loved in Japan.

And Ami independent character doesn't fit in this so well - in one man's preference this doesn't matter, but in a wide group.

P.S.: Sorry and forget this poor guy if this stuff too simple or even maybe racist.
Old 2009-01-12, 17:32   Link #137
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Put it [too much] simply, in Japan the society likes more Taiga's submissive behaviour - yes, they're kinda sexist, and shounen characters like Orihime Inoue and Hyuuga Hinata are just like that - submissive and with a 'great' body - and grey eyes, so loved in Japan.

And Ami independent character doesn't fit in this so well - in one man's preference this doesn't matter, but in a wide group.

P.S.: Sorry and forget this poor guy if this stuff too simple or even maybe racist.
I don't know much about japan, but i woulnd't know if thats truly the case. I would think that in this day and age, people (guys in this case) would have their own preferences, not influenced by what their ancestors liked (if thats what you're saying?).

I like both, they're very different characters. But because of what i want in a girl, i'd like Ami because i feel she's a bit more mature, and not as "tsundere" as taiga...don't exactly want to be smacked around outside haha
Old 2009-01-12, 17:37   Link #138
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
Though there are people who occasionally come in to talk down on people for mentioning their personal preference for a Ryuuji x Ami end.
This is because shipping is bad. And causes hate wars.

Let's just see where the plot goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
Wow... I think kids are growing up to decide on their preferences on an extreme Love or HATE paradigm. Minorin is a great gal and a good friend to the cast of characters, wishing ill on her doesn't have any logic or reason to it.
Blame the Internet Hate Machine.

Quote:
Exactly. Sometimes the best choice is to just keep clicking. *Chaos;HEAd joke*

For one, I think Japan seems to like Taiga more than Ami because Taiga is defined as "cute" rather than "sexy", which in general, eastern cultures, especially Japan, have idealized. "Cute", that is.

This is why flat-chested, doll-bodied characters are more prized there than here in the West, heh.

Quote:
Taiga... submissive?

I'm confused. No one in Toradora is submissive, least of all Taiga.

Quote:
I don't know much about japan, but i woulnd't know if thats truly the case. I would think that in this day and age, people (guys in this case) would have their own preferences, not influenced by what their ancestors liked (if thats what you're saying?).
Oh boy.

Um.

Okay.

Cultural norms are passed down through generations almost unconsciously. We don't often think about it, but a lot of our personal preferences will come from our parents. This is how societal, and indeed, cultural differences are formed.

No one is truly independent. We're simply products of our environment and upbringing.

Western culture has this large emphasis on "individuality", which, in truth, isn't really real.
Old 2009-01-12, 17:43   Link #139
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This is because shipping is bad. And causes hate wars.

Let's just see where the plot goes.

Blame the Internet Hate Machine.

Exactly. Sometimes the best choice is to just keep clicking. *Chaos;HEAd joke*

For one, I think Japan seems to like Taiga more than Ami because Taiga is defined as "cute" rather than "sexy", which in general, eastern cultures, especially Japan, have idealized. "Cute", that is.

This is why flat-chested, doll-bodied characters are more prized there than here in the West, heh.

Taiga... submissive?

I'm confused. No one in Toradora is submissive, least of all Taiga.

Oh boy.

Um.

Okay.

Cultural norms are passed down through generations almost unconsciously. We don't often think about it, but a lot of our personal preferences will come from our parents. This is how societal, and indeed, cultural differences are formed.

No one is truly independent. We're simply products of our environment and upbringing.

Western culture has this large emphasis on "individuality", which, in truth, isn't really real.
It might play a bit of a role, but i don't think you can just group everyone together like that. If he's talking about majority, then fine so be it.

I was born and raised in the US, but it doesn't necessarily mean i'd prefer a girl who is independent. Personal preferences still come into play, and i don't think they're THAT heavily influenced by our culture/societal status quo.
Old 2009-01-12, 17:47   Link #140
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
It might play a bit of a role, but i don't think you can just group everyone together like that. If he's talking about majority, then fine so be it.
Never use individual accounts to make any kind of statement. The larger the group you examine, the less differences matter and the more similarities begin to emerge.

Only by talking about the majority can one make generalized statements.

Quote:
I was born and raised in the US, but it doesn't necessarily mean i'd prefer a girl who is independent. Personal preferences still come into play, and i don't think they're THAT heavily influenced by our culture/societal status quo.
Everything we do is somewhat influenced by our environment, but yes, individual preferences are important, but on a small scale.

And, what would you prefer, a girl who's "healthy" and independent, or a girl who's flat-chested and doll-bodied, who relies on you for everything that matters?
Closed Thread