AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-13, 10:59   Link #81
Tenzen12

This was really just small skirmish so it make sense to get it down fast and move to more important parts. Problem would be if GS will keep continue this way.
Old 2018-01-13, 11:33   Link #82
larethian

Watched nearly all the promo streams since last May. Then read all the comments from various industry insiders. The support for Mizuno and Grancrest is pretty amazing.

Title of monthly streaming show: グランクレスト戦記 ROAD to LORD
Page of comments from various authors: http://grancrest-anime.jp/special/comment/
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 11:49   Link #83
HandofFate

liked the interaction between the talented young commander on the enemy side and that woman
Old 2018-01-13, 12:34   Link #84
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Rather unfortunate how this show treats the whimsical nature of that enemy lord (now befriended) as an okay thing without any thought towards the cost of human lives. If this show was trying to get plus points for avoiding a cliche villain then it didn't do a great job, imo.

Still a fairly bland show right now. Not a whole lot of explanation (or more importantly, exploration) on why these lords are fighting and then not fighting. Just a whole lot of "cool" action and the female mage being easily swept off her feet by Lord of the Bland. I'll give it another episode but I think I have a good idea where this is heading.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 13:00   Link #85
Ultragunner

ehhhh, am I missing something?
after such a solid opening scene, the "scale" and "tension" have all but vanished

to be honest, I kinda feel bad for Theo here, he's just as clueless as we are about whatever the hell is going on

and was Aishela trying to kill the poor young solider to death while kissing him? Now that's dark
Old 2018-01-13, 13:10   Link #86
xeviouses

Er...anybody else viewing this through Fire Emblem glasses? I'm enjoying this show a whole lot more this way.

I mean the first episode was a tutorial, second one has a crutch character taking the brunt of attacks while the other party members go around gaining exp, the last hit even goes to the lord!

Plus at the end gained new recruits and leveled up.
Old 2018-01-13, 13:15   Link #87
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
Er...anybody else viewing this through Fire Emblem glasses? I'm enjoying this show a whole lot more this way.

I mean the first episode was a tutorial, second one has a crutch character taking the brunt of attacks while the other party members go around gaining exp, the last hit even goes to the lord!

Plus at the end gained new recruits and leveled up.
I also can't help but notice the similarities and wonder if it's intentionally designed as such (and if so then why?) or just a Japanese thing.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 13:33   Link #88
larethian

Maybe read up a little on the background of Lodoss War, written by the same author (Mizuno Ryou) 3 decades ago, a time when light novel labels do not exist. I mean, while it might not necessarily improve yours or anyone's view on the story, it will give some insight to the gaming-feel of the setting

Some background of Grancrest from my understanding:
Grancrest world was first commissioned by Media Factory and Fantasia Bunko to be made into a TRPG game setting to celebrate some anniversary like 5 or 6 years ago. The author, Mizuno Ryou together with another TRPG game designer took on the job. He then started writing Grancrest Senki in 2013 based on the world and lore setting he created.

There is indeed a ranking system in the Crest ladder, Grancrest being the highest. Aside from contracting with mages (number based on rank) and binding other crest holders as their vassals, the Crest taps into the power of Cosmos and allows a Lord to subjugate Chaos. Only someone who owns a crest (either bestowed, or created from a Chaos core) can dispel/subjugate Chaos. The Count/noble system however was implemented by the Magic Academy, so it is really independent system from Crest.

The sudden surge of Chaos 2000+ years ago caused distortions in the world, and one of them is the birth of projections from other worlds. The appearance of the demon lord seems to be one such phenomenon. Others are random disasters. Before the Chaos surge, it was believed that the world was more advanced than currently. It is believed that when Grancrest is attained, all the Chaos can be dispelled and the state of the world before can be recovered. Something to that effect.

There are 3 main classes in the game: Lord, Mage, Artist. Each class has more than 10 sub-classes. Irvin was described by Rushick as a Shadow, which is actually a sub-class of Artist. In this particular story, there is also Priest, but apparently, it is not a playable class.
Old 2018-01-13, 13:44   Link #89
DMurphy

You know, I kind of decided in advance that I was going to hate this show, because I'm so tired of light novels and their creepy Kawahara-Reki-esque let's-embody-all-the-worst-tendencies-of-the-industry style -- but, tbh, this show hasn't given me anything to hate right now. It's pretty fun.

The worst thing I can say about it is that at the moment it's so rushed that it feels like there's no tension to anything, but at the same time, I'm kind of expecting that to change sooner rather than later, once the show reaches a point in canon where it wants to slow down.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 16:51   Link #90
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Rather unfortunate how this show treats the whimsical nature of that enemy lord (now befriended) as an okay thing without any thought towards the cost of human lives. If this show was trying to get plus points for avoiding a cliche villain then it didn't do a great job, imo.
In the manga Shiruka instructed the Artists not to kill anyone because she already planned to take them as subordinates. I don't know how it was in the novel.

Speaking of comparisons, the anime skipped or altered a lot of things. Theo was supposed to save Shiruka from a worse situation than she was in, for example.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 17:01   Link #91
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
In the manga Shiruka instructed the Artists not to kill anyone because she already planned to take them as subordinates. I don't know how it was in the novel.

Speaking of comparisons, the anime skipped or altered a lot of things. Theo was supposed to save Shiruka from a worse situation than she was in, for example.
yeah that was what annoybed me anime cut/skipped a lot of things specially important info, the battle of the shiruka per friend was more fun she was the whole battle messing around with the guy, saying which she liked him and wanted mess with him and which she like "cute things" and he is cute.

like i told they basically put 9 chapters of like 24+ pages in 2 episodes, leading to skip a lot of things, some things which show why shirkua is sticking with mc, a lot of character development and background was cut, they literally rushed everything to get that lord on shiruka side, i really hope next episode this not gonna repeat or at last it's don't last too long(rushing in speed of light), because probably at this rate with just 4 or 5 episodes they gonna ending already far from manga and probably already on second volume if they keep that speed and maybe run out of material too fast.

If they keep this pace they could not need 2 cours" to adaptate the whole novel, if they keep moving on speed of light anime, one cour could be more than enough at this pace.
Old 2018-01-13, 18:55   Link #92
Mistyclear

^Not that bad, if they slow it down just a bit—compared to the light novel Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon who somehow managed to make the two seasons of 13 episodes each, from 4 volumes (and the first volume was 563 pages alone, with a lot of characters it still turned out decent)—maybe they can make this one out to be decent as well.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 19:55   Link #93
Applehell

Man, this something I really want enjoy especially because I loved Record of Lodross War, but I can't help but sigh at how stilted it all feels. Silly outfit aside, I like how ambitious and in control Siluca comes across, but she is the only thing gripping me to this show right now. Swords and Sorcery setting are my jam and all but with how over-used they are you really need strong expressive characters and interesting enough lore to be engagingly. It doesn't feel like has either right now aside from a little bit of former with Siluca. Theo and Siluca didn't have much in the way of chemistry together, largely because Theo just seems doing whatever she tells him rather than two actually working for a mutual benefit which doesn't help with his already bland personality. He at least took some initiative near the end of 2nd episode, but on whole battle didn't feel very convincing to me primary because it felt too easy and went by too quickly for a real "first battle". The lackluster animation certainly not helping.

There is still some sparks of potential in this especially if now expanded cast can breath some more life show for me.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 21:58   Link #94
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Man, this something I really want enjoy especially because I loved Record of Lodross War, but I can't help but sigh at how stilted it all feels. Silly outfit aside, I like how ambitious and in control Siluca comes across, but she is the only thing gripping me to this show right now. Swords and Sorcery setting are my jam and all but with how over-used they are you really need strong expressive characters and interesting enough lore to be engagingly. It doesn't feel like has either right now aside from a little bit of former with Siluca. Theo and Siluca didn't have much in the way of chemistry together, largely because Theo just seems doing whatever she tells him rather than two actually working for a mutual benefit which doesn't help with his already bland personality. He at least took some initiative near the end of 2nd episode, but on whole battle didn't feel very convincing to me primary because it felt too easy and went by too quickly for a real "first battle". The lackluster animation certainly not helping.

There is still some sparks of potential in this especially if now expanded cast can breath some more life show for me.
Agreed. Literally every character who's not named Theo is interesting . Siluca is the protagonist in volume 1 (The Rainbow Mage/Witch) at least.
Old 2018-01-14, 22:25   Link #95
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The key really does seem to come down to how the cast as a whole grows. Theo is pretty bland, although even he seems to realize that . Gives the feeling of a guy who has been swept up by events outside of his understanding. His goals and ideals were pretty simple. Gain enough power and authority to take control of his hometown and support it. Now he's technically along the road to that, but swept up in something much bigger.

Right now this really is Siluca's show. She basically jumped on the first opportunity given not to contract to someone she found creepy. Plus she has her own agenda that's just on a grander scale. I can't be too hard on Theo because in a sense he was picked by this girl because he was someone she could lead.

Fingers crossed that Theo can mature to a degree. Right now he's just clearly overwhelmed by his situation. At least started making a choice for himself in going out to support Siluca. It's one step.

And wow....Aishela is a bit scary. The tactical sense to focus down the person giving the orders, but one dark method of killing a person . Kissing while crushing their throat....that's a new one for me.
Old 2018-01-15, 00:46   Link #96
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Well, looks like I'm right so far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The thing about this author's work is, often times, the side characters are more interesting than the MC. Kinda like Bleach.
Quote:
All in all, if we're lucky, we'll see her wearing different clothes throughout the series. I mean, she won't be sleeping on the bed wearing that, right?
New characters appear, and they all outshine Theo. Also, Siluca actually wears something else during the down time, or rather, she's back to using her old uniform when it's not battling time. But why keep using Lord Sleazeball's slutty uniform if she hates it so much? There's no way you can convince me that the right-hand woman of a lord couldn't find something more convenient to wear during the down time. Is there no magic reasoning at all? Or does Siluca secretly like the outfit?

Anyway, I agree with others who said that the episode is underwhelming, poorly animated and somehow rushed. The relationship between Theo & Siluca turns rather bland this episode. And is Siluca really can be that easily impressed by the sight of a man trying to protect her? Has she never experienced kindness from other men before she met Theo? Eh, at this point, I'm gonna stay for our resident crazy halberder valkyrie to see her interaction with the young leader that she's smitten with. It has the potential to be hilarious, at least .
Old 2018-01-15, 09:10   Link #97
seiftis
~defying fate

Really... What's with this series skipping all kinds of character development and rushing everything like shit.. Huge disapppintment.
Old 2018-01-15, 09:53   Link #98
Sixth
Hu Tao

Another failed adaptation.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-15, 11:16   Link #99
James Rye

This feels half-baken. Like everything just happens for the sake of happening. Suddenly surrendering and becomign a subordinate? For what? That guy didn't do much. It was those three who killed dozen of your 55 men and you didn't even fought once, you just got told that you have no openings, then that they got your mage and then you laugh and drop your sword and say that lord there is an awesome overlord to have, for fucking WHAT? This feels like they needed at least one or two more episodes to put in some sense and what motives those characters got for what they are doing or for what they did.
Old 2018-01-15, 17:49   Link #100
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Well, looks like I'm right so far:
New characters appear, and they all outshine Theo. Also, Siluca actually wears something else during the down time, or rather, she's back to using her old uniform when it's not battling time. But why keep using Lord Sleazeball's slutty uniform if she hates it so much? There's no way you can convince me that the right-hand woman of a lord couldn't find something more convenient to wear during the down time. Is there no magic reasoning at all? Or does Siluca secretly like the outfit?
Her excuse is that it feels easier to move in. Personally I'm a bit skeptical that the revealing uniform is the only thing she has that feels comfortable running around on the battlefield with, but whatever excuse she needs I guess.