AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-23, 12:16   Link #21
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Looks like someone in tumblr noted some subtitling mistakes made by CR and some differences with the dialogue/scenes from the LN.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 13:07   Link #22
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Looks like someone in tumblr noted some subtitling mistakes made by CR and some differences with the dialogue/scenes from the LN.
Link to see those?
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 13:19   Link #23
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://kaedesan721.tumblr.com/post/1...-japanese-text

Example of messed up subs. Didn't even realize it and I can read/speak in a conversational level...

----

http://kaedesan721.tumblr.com/post/1...e-bit-from-the

This one according to the poster deviated from the novel... Although I feel like opening a separate post just for the LN stuff. I was told that it has a Korean translation and someone's doing an unofficial one in English.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2018-01-24, 11:55   Link #24
Irenesharda

Quote:
http://kaedesan721.tumblr.com/post/1...-japanese-text

Example of messed up subs. Didn't even realize it and I can read/speak in a conversational level...
Yeah, I saw that too, but I think that was more of a typo than anything else. Someone rushing through and pressed a 3 rather than a 5.

However, I do know someone pointed out that using the term "Opportunistic" to describe the hitmen hitman was not quite the word to use. It seems CR noticed and changed in the second episode and just went with the Japanese word instead. It was such a different word that I didn't even realize they were talking about the same character until they mentioned the change in the comments.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-24, 22:39   Link #25
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Yeah. I probably would agree with you that someone probably made a typo with the subtitling.

And yeah, the terms aren't the only one that's different from the LN. I showed a link where someone mention that Jose doing some crazy stuff in the 2nd episode wasn't portrayed in the novel and it was Jiro actually who did that.

Old 2018-01-25, 04:00   Link #26
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

This Kaji is great! This Kaji is absolutely great!
Why there sin't more Kaji like this!
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-25, 10:00   Link #27
Irenesharda

You know actually thinking about it, is this going to be like "The Sting" or "Ocean's 11", where a bunch of charming criminals all come together, using their unique skills in a complicated plot in order to avenge a comrade?
I can see Lin trying to do this all on his own, only to realize its too big and then asks Banba for help, who calls in this whole gang of resources.

Also, who wants to bet that this Samurai guy is actually Banba? The guy must have some other source of money because there is no way he can have 5 million yen in cash just handing around on a PI's salary.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2018-01-26, 06:05   Link #28
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Spotted this criticism in Tumblr:

Quote:
So the first episode of the anime came out and….
they translated the name “Niwaka Samurai” as “opportunist samurai.” It’s stated in the novels he is called the Niwaka Samurai because he wears a Niwaka mask and wields a Japanese sword. And you can hear the characters say Niwaka Samurai. The word opportunistic wasn’t even used nor close to “niwaka”. I don’t know how the hell they came up with that. Especially when his name was shown in the first teaser as Niwaka Samurai.

Just an FYI, that is the biggest mistake they made. Besides Gwen. It should be Nguyen because it’s a Vietnamese name, but the people probably didn’t know that character was Vietnamese from the scene and it’s pronounced the same, so that’s a pass.

Old 2018-01-26, 09:35   Link #29
bakato

If I'm watching this raw right, our hapless newbie hitman was once a baseball player?
Old 2018-01-26, 09:38   Link #30
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Spoiler for LN content:

I'll probably put up the LN thread for this so that no one gets spoiled, especially for chumps like me.

Old 2018-01-26, 11:55   Link #31
bakato

How is it that no one seems to figure out that Lin is a guy after hearing him speak?
Old 2018-01-26, 16:24   Link #32
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
How is it that no one seems to figure out that Lin is a guy after hearing him speak?
Yeah and he didn't even try to imitate a high pitch tone, maybe a seiyuu mistake or something(in detective case make sense, is a joke)

Anime, don't put cliffhangers with sneak peak, neither work.
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-27, 00:52   Link #33
Irenesharda

Another great episode.
I'm a bit surprised that they didn't let the mistaken identity with Saito go on for longer. I expected them to go after him first, but it looks like they smartly figured out quickly that he was just the fall guy.
Lin is a guy on a mission, and he is amazing with a knife. I love how many different knives he has for different situations. That Chinese boss is scum though. I'm hoping that Lin makes him suffer.

It's also kind of cool that they keep Lin in character and that he is still not a Japanese native speaker so while fluent, there are still some words that he's not sure of the meaning for.

Also, I do have to say that its becoming increasingly obvious that Banba is the Nikawa Samurai. His love for Hakata culture, his tons of cash that come from nowhere, the look of the Samurai himself, and that weird conversation between him and the ramen guy which screamed "we are hiding something from the audience". All of it is saying that he's the mysterious hitman.

I have a feeling that he will show up as the mysterious Samurai, but he will use the dead body from the avengers (the one he showed an inordinate amount of interest in) and pretend to die or some such thing.

Also, Saito needs to really quit his job. How is almost accidentally killing someone with a baseball, make you prepared to be a professional hitman? That's the weirdest jump in logic I've seen in a long time.

And it looks like Lin will get to Qhaomei's killer. I hope that he is able to make the kid suffer for everything he's done. It honestly looks like the hitmen are getting really tired of his crap.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2018-01-27, 01:17   Link #34
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I swore that I saw a similar ballistic knife pistol that Lin has online...

Old 2018-01-28, 01:08   Link #35
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.funimation.com/shows/hak...nkotsu-ramens/

Cast announced by Funi. For non-North American viewers, you need a VPN or something equivalent of it to read it.

Old 2018-01-28, 01:47   Link #36
Irenesharda

I think they already have the cast up on ANN for those who live outside NA.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/enc...e.php?id=20014

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2018-01-28, 02:00   Link #37
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Okay. Never mind.

Gave the first episode a shot in English. I thought they'd give some Hakata-born characters an accent. Turns out they didn't...

Old 2018-01-28, 03:00   Link #38
Irenesharda

Quote:
Okay. Never mind.

Gave the first episode a shot in English. I thought they'd give some Hakata-born characters an accent. Turns out they didn't...
That's not unusual. They usually don't know what to do with Japanese dialects, so they play it straight. It would be different if it all took place in New York or something, then they would know what accents and mannerisms to give each of the characters in order to play on that. Something like how they did Baccano, where they played it up heavy with the accents and lingo of the 30s America.
Also, looking at the cast, most of these guys are relatively new to the VA game. Only a few are people I even recognize. So, they're probably not really experienced enough to give the characters a life of their own anyway.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2018-01-28, 05:16   Link #39
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

That's fair, but I almost thought that Hakata would be some southern accent, like how Persona 4: DAN made the Tohoku accent a general one from the country.

Old 2018-01-28, 05:27   Link #40
Irenesharda

Quote:
That's fair, but I almost thought that Hakata would be some southern accent, like how Persona 4: DAN made the Tohoku accent a general one from the country.
I don't think that would have worked, southern accents in English give a connotation that the people are from the country, from a city or town with not very many people, the whole down home, slow going, Southern charm. It doesn't match at all with the urban rush that is Fukuoka and Hakata and Tenjin especially.

The South of Japan, doesn't really match completely with the South of the USA.
When I first came to Kyushu from Chicago, going to Hakata for the first time gave me the first feelings of home that I had had since I came to Japan. It's tall buildings, waterfronts, rivers, fast moving people of all kinds, restaurants, department stores, it doesn't really fit with the Southern twang.
The only accent that I think would fit, like I said, either New York, Chicago, or even Philly.
Also, there is the fact that many of the characters are multinational. You would have to do different ones for each one. It's much easier to do them all standard.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu