Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-04, 13:35   Link #1
EdenB
Overlord

Unlikely Romance Choice

Hi!

I'm looking for an anime where an unlikely girl type ends up with the protagonist.

I was just reading a thread, mentioning the girl stereotypes in harem anime/games. The heroine type who usually gets along with everyone (often also innocent and doesn't stand out but is obviously the main love interest, aka Nagisa from Clannad, Ayu from Kanon, Musubi from Sekirei) or the tsundere type (Shana, Taiga, etc), the cute younger girl type, the scholar (often class president/student council) type, the bad girl type, the sporty girl type, etc.

Basically I'm looking for any anime where it's not the heroine type who ends up with the main character. To put it in terms of a well known anime, where Keitaro (Love Hina) ends up with Mutsumi, Shinobu or even Kanako, instead of the obvious from the start Naru.

Last edited by EdenB; 2009-11-04 at 20:18.
Old 2009-11-04, 13:41   Link #2
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenB View Post
Hi!

I'm looking for an anime where an unlikely girl type ends up with the protagonist.

I was just reading a thread, mentioning the girl stereotypes in harem anime/games. The heroine type who usually gets along with everyone (often also innocent and doesn't stand out but is obviously the main love interest, aka Nagisa from Clannad, Ayu from Kanon, Musubi from Sekirei), the cute younger girl type, the scholar (often class president/student council) type, the bad girl type, the sporty girl type, etc.

Basically I'm looking for any anime where it's not the heroine type who ends up with the main character. To put it in terms of a well known anime, where Keitaro (Love Hina) ends up with Mutsumi, Shinobu or even Kanako, instead of the obvious from the start Naru.
I'm not sure if you'll find an anime like that because the love interests usually involve all those stereotypes whereas the others are just secondary characters. Maybe you can try Canvas2 ~Niji-iro no Sketch~. This series is hit or miss with a lot of people, I enjoyed it myself despite what most people think of the series. Just give it a try.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-04, 13:53   Link #3
Aqua Knight

I searched for the same criteria not a long ago and didn't find much.
But you can try Shuffle!
It sorta fits.
Old 2009-11-04, 14:19   Link #4
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Yeah. And also School Days, in a "strange" way.
Then we have arguably Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
And lastly the most direct example of this: Ichigo 100%
Old 2009-11-04, 14:30   Link #5
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I have to agree... Shuffle! actually pissed me off cause the girl he chose seem so random, its like when you playing a dating sim and at the end you get a list of girls and choose which one you want to see the ending with
Old 2009-11-04, 16:21   Link #6
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Yeah. And also School Days, in a "strange" way.
Then we have arguably Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
And lastly the most direct example of this: Ichigo 100%
Be warned about School Days... it isnt ur normal happy school romance anime and well... i dont think u can say that any of the girls end up with the main character either -.- at least not the whole

I think Shuffle is the closest to what u are looking for...

Another series that comes to my mind is Toradora.... the main girl character doesnt fall under any of ur description of stereotype girls *.* at least not completely... i mean if u take all those qualities away... there is not much to like anymore is there ?
Old 2009-11-04, 16:24   Link #7
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Be warned about School Days... it isnt ur normal happy school romance anime and well... i dont think u can say that any of the girls end up with the main character either -.- at least not the whole

I think Shuffle is the closest to what u are looking for...

Another series that comes to my mind is Toradora.... the main girl character doesnt fall under any of ur description of stereotype girls *.* at least not completely... i mean if u take all those qualities away... there is not much to like anymore is there ?
I thought Toradora was predictable. I saw from a mile away that the two mains would hook up.
Old 2009-11-04, 18:39   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I was surprised by the eventual pairing in DN Angel. Maybe it should have been obvious, but it wasn't to me.
Old 2009-11-04, 18:57   Link #9
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenB View Post
Hi!

I was just reading a thread, mentioning the girl stereotypes in harem anime/games. The heroine type who usually gets along with everyone (often also innocent and doesn't stand out but is obviously the main love interest, aka Nagisa from Clannad, Ayu from Kanon, Musubi from Sekirei), the cute younger girl type, the scholar (often class president/student council) type, the bad girl type, the sporty girl type, etc.

Bakemonogatari... Senjougaharta Hitagi.

Totally off the wall... The class prez was the obvious choice until...............
Old 2009-11-04, 19:17   Link #10
Theowne
耳をすませば

Nodame Cantabile fits this quite nicely. The main character is a very quirky character who ends up with one of the talented and haughty students at her university. Romantic comedy.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-11-04, 20:32   Link #11
EdenB
Overlord

Thanks. I've seen most of these, but it gives me a few to look at. I'd actually totally forgotten about Ichigo 100%, KimiNozo and Shuffle fitting this. I should have (and now have) added in the tsundere type under main character, since they've been popular recently.

I didn't like School Days for some reason, even before it's supposed to get 'strange'. I watched an episode and it just didn't interest me.

I've been wanting to watch Canvas 2 actually, though I didn't know it fit this. It's not out in my region though, it seems.
Old 2009-11-05, 13:55   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would have to say that Honey & Clover is perfect for what you're looking for. I'm surprised no one had mentioned it already.
Old 2009-11-05, 19:37   Link #13
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Another bunch of suggestions after actually taking a look on my list:
-Macross and arguably Macross Frontier. Perhaps it's sci-fi and Mecha.
-Gundam Seed...though the developments hardly making sense. The actual love interest of the hero is unexpected until it actually happens, though the heroine is rather classical.
-Nana:both manga and the anime. Except serious slice of life story without the usual all-happy end.
-Genshiken:Slice of Life and with perhaps a nice description of otakudom. In terms of romantic developments the second season is more important...though the anime needs to animate the last few chapters of the manga sometime in the future,
-True Tears: a nice romantic story, though if you're sharp enough you almost instantly know whom he's going to choose.
-White Album: With the second season is still ongoing it's still dubious even plot-wise whom the guy's going to end up with.
-Zegapain:Another mecha anime, but this one's rather depressing. Still if you're minding it you can give it a shot. The story's somehow a hooker.
-Gantz:In many ways. An anime where the usual plot elements hardly apply.
Old 2009-11-06, 15:37   Link #14
MamoruUsagi

Peach Girl, the main character dates two different boys. The main character's second boyfriend is the one she continues to date, when it seemed like the main character was more connected to her first boyfriend.

Paradise Kiss, the main character is dating one guy the entire series, has sex with him, is in a relationship with him, but there is a twist that happens.
Old 2009-11-06, 22:06   Link #15
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I'm not sure if you'll find an anime like that because the love interests usually involve all those stereotypes whereas the others are just secondary characters. Maybe you can try Canvas2 ~Niji-iro no Sketch~. This series is hit or miss with a lot of people, I enjoyed it myself despite what most people think of the series. Just give it a try.
Gomen Dex-kun-sama but I disagree. The winner of Canvas2 is

Spoiler:

Go watch Angelic Layer. That's some unlikely coupling in the end. I was happy for the heroine's choice but wtf'd at the "supposedly" main guy's choice.
Old 2009-11-06, 22:45   Link #16
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka... I won't say too much more because it'll probably ruin it for you, but you'd probably enjoy it... the end is in this
Spoiler for Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka, Final Winner:

Last edited by Jetbent; 2009-11-09 at 21:18.
Old 2009-11-06, 23:57   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I need further clarification.

Are you looking for:

1: A romance where the eventual pairing is unexpected?

2: Someone other than the female lead wins the guy?

3: An unusual character type for the female lead (ie Not a Yamato Nadeshiko and not a Tsundere)?

4: A well developed character as the female lead (rather then a flat cardboard cutout)?

Because if the answer is #1, then I'm not sure it helps to suggest something because it might ruin the surprise.
Spoiler for A possible series that fits this idea:

If the answer is #2, then again it might ruin the surprise. I don't know of any off hand... maybe FMA: Brotherhood, since Winry isn't the heroine or main female lead. (Not a surprise romance though).

If the answer is #3 then maybe Crest of the Stars? Lafiel doesn't really fit into any specific "type" that I can think of. I mean... she's not a Yamato Nadeshiko. She has a temper, but she not a Tsundere. She's an Action Girl, but not really a Tomboy.

Maybe Whisper of the Heart?

I can't think of any off the top of my head with a common "type" that wins and isn't a Tsundere or Yamato Nadeshiko. But I bet there are a lot of shoujo anime that have them.

A more reasonable request though would be #4. In other words, when you see a romance with a tsundere, you want it to be a believable tsundere with some depth to her. Not just a cute girl with a temper who hits her love interest- and that's all you know about her. Or if it's a Yamato Nadeshiko there is something more to her then cleaning house, cooking food, and being "practically perfect in every way".

If that's what you want then there are a bunch of good anime to list off. Cross Game, Maison Ikkoku, ect.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-07, 20:32   Link #18
EdenB
Overlord

I probably should've mentioned that I'm not much for mecha anime or romance with a female protagonist and various guys.

I'm actually surprised that Honey and Clover is a romance. I remember seeing a little and thinking it was a slice of life or comedy.

True Tears was an easily guessed one, though it was good anyway. Angelic Layer, it's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember Misaki liking anyone, though I remember one or two liking her. Akane-iro is a good example, though I've already watched it.

3) is probably the closest to what I'm looking for. For instance, instead of the heroine type, either tsundere/genki girl/yamato nadeshiko, one of the more unusual types to win. Like the younger girl type, the sister type, the class president type, the genius, ojou-sama type, etc. I'm interested in any of the 1) type too though, as they might fit together, like in Akane iro.

Last edited by EdenB; 2009-11-07 at 20:45.
Old 2009-11-07, 22:18   Link #19
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm... I guess School Days might count, never seen it, but I heard the Yandere "wins"

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-08, 03:33   Link #20
Scorch

I would say School Days doesn't count. Nobody really wins in the end. Which isn't to say it's a non-ending (undecided), it's a very definite ending. It's fun in the sense that is breaks all of the normal harem anime conventions, and you will definitely feel something towards the protagonist by the end. I find him a loathsome failure of a human.

Honey and Clover isn't primarily a romance, but unrequited love is a major theme in it. It's slice of life/comedy/romance/heavy introspection. The ending couples are a bit surprising, but quite believable. H&C happens to be my favorite series.

I love Bakemonogatari and Spice & Wolf. Neither of them really has surprise relationships, but the characterization is so much better than most shows. The dialogs are witty. Senjougahara from Bakemonogatari doesn't fit into any of the standard molds.

In general, if you want to avoid the simple stereotypes, seinen and josei are what you should look for.
Closed Thread