Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-05-19, 09:54   Link #1
alamarco
Why hello there!

Mplayer OS X

Solution
The bug with the LDFlags still exists. I guess I must of did this last time when I compiled Mplayer and just forgot. To compile you need to edit the LDFlags option in Mplayer like so:

Code:
./configure --extra-ldflags="-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib"
Original Problem
Is there a way to restore default applications?

I installed XQuartz as per a recommendation by GIMP and I'm pretty sure it's the cause of my problems with Mplayer. With XQuartz I could compile the Mplayer SVN, but Mplayer would crash when using corevideo. If I used quartz it would work fine, which is obviously a problem since corevideo is a lot better.

I installed X11 off my Leopard DVD, and now Mplayer doesn't install with corevideo. Is there anything else off the Leopard DVD I can install? I'm about to reinstall 10.5.7 (if it'll let me since I'm already on 10.5.7) to see if that'll work.

If I use ./configure --enable-corevideo with the X11 off the Leopard DVD it would fail to compile with:

Code:
ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mplayer] Error 1
I did a little searching on that error and it seems it's an old error which was already fixed in newer versions of Mac OS X. It was a problem with the linker and you had to manually override the LDFLags. Since this isn't my program I really don't know how to override the LDFlags.
Reference

So I'm pretty sure the problem is with XQuartz. The XQuartz website doesn't provide any method to uninstall XQuartz. Is there anything else I can try if reinstalling 10.5.7 doesn't work? Is my only option reinstalling Leopard?

Last edited by alamarco; 2009-05-19 at 15:44. Reason: Posted solution
Old 2009-05-19, 11:01   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Try removing X11 completely and then using your Leopard DVD, reinstall X11. This should get rid of X11 and XQuartz completely.

Code:
sudo rm -rf /Applications/Utilities/X11.app /private/etc/X11 /usr/X11R6 /usr/bin/open-x11 /usr/lib/X11 /Library/Receipts/X11User.pkg
If that doesn't work, there is a native version of mplayer that works without the use of X11 called MPlayer OS X Extended. It should work the same as the one in X11 version.
Old 2009-05-19, 11:44   Link #3
alamarco
Why hello there!

Thanks for the tip, just tried removing X11 and reinstalled it via the Leopard DVD and had the same problem. Also the reinstall of 10.5.7 didn't work for me.

The problem I have with Mplayer OS X Extended is that it always crashes. Both times I installed OS X, Mplayer OS X Extended will work, but after maybe a day or two it'll crash and no longer work. Resetting the options, reinstalling, remove the plist, etc. does nothing. I could put more effort into fixing the Mplayer OS X Extended issue, but for now I'd rather put this effort into Mplayer itself.

Compiling Mplayer has been far more stable, besides this current hiccup.

I have maybe an hour of tinkering around before I reinstall Mac OS X. Then I will see if it really was an X11 issue or not. Since removing XQuartz produced that change with corevideo being detected I have a feeling it's an X11 issue, but maybe not.

Even though I have plenty of time to install I hope I find the solution in that hour of tinkering.

edit: Alright, the install wasn't the problem. Had the same issue after reinstalling the OS. I posted my solution in the first post for those who by chance have the same problem.

Last edited by alamarco; 2009-05-19 at 15:42.
Old 2009-05-20, 16:45   Link #4
Ryoujin
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
The problem I have with Mplayer OS X Extended is that it always crashes. Both times I installed OS X, Mplayer OS X Extended will work, but after maybe a day or two it'll crash and no longer work. Resetting the options, reinstalling, remove the plist, etc. does nothing. I could put more effort into fixing the Mplayer OS X Extended issue, but for now I'd rather put this effort into Mplayer itself.
Maybe if you provided the crash logs it would help the developer. I'd probably dare to say that a lot of us over here use MPlayer Extended and don't experience those crashes at all, at least me, I watch a lot of anime during the week, and I've very rarely had any issues with the application.
Old 2009-05-21, 11:21   Link #5
alamarco
Why hello there!

If I used the application I would go through the crash logs, do some testing, and help the developer. It's too much of a hassle for something I don't use, which is why I spent my time rectifying Mplayer itself instead.
Old 2009-05-21, 12:56   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I suggest giving MPlayer OS X Extended a try again since there is alot of changes made since you last tried it. Rev10 fix most of of the crashing and memory leaks that were present in the earlier versions and I haven't have rev10 crashed yet so far...

If not, you can install the latest version and see if it works: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.3.3.2
Old 2009-05-21, 19:53   Link #7
alamarco
Why hello there!

Well I already solved the Mplayer problem so no need for the XQuartz anymore (I've edited my first post already with the solution).

Rev10 of Mplayer Extended OS X was actually the last version I tried which was crashing for me. When I initially had the problem with Mplayer I tried out rev10, which worked fine until a couple of days of usage.

Anyways, I'm one of the people that prefer the CLI. Maybe it's just my days of using UNIX, but I've always been attached to Mplayer and vi. That's why I desperately wanted to have Mplayer itself working.
Old 2009-05-23, 22:31   Link #8
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
I thought this had been fixed; is your Xcode up to date?

If it is, does "--disable-x11" in configure fix it? There's no point in building all that stuff anyway, although you do need X11 installed for subtitles.