Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-20, 04:58   Link #1
roguenoir
Rogue Member

Slow, boring beginnings; surprise endings

Name some shows where, at least in the 1st half, it just dragged on and on but everything made sense in the end and left you with a great or at least above average impression overall.
Old 2004-07-20, 05:05   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

hmm... I don't know why you specifically look for a slow and boring beginning... anyway maybe Princess Tutu, it starts nothing special, and maybe the "kiddy" art style appear boring to some, but half-way it becomes totally unique and unorthodoxical. The ending is absolutely a blast!
Old 2004-07-20, 06:10   Link #3
Zipi-2
God

Send a message via ICQ to Zipi-2
noir
great anime but the beging is slow like u wanted
Old 2004-07-20, 06:39   Link #4
7thMethuselah

Gilgamesh starts slow and the art requires some serious getting used to, however once it picks up it becomes a great series
The first two episoeds introduce the setting and characters, then you get 5 episodes which are mostly useless (probably the reason why many people drop this show) and after that the story really starts (in ep8 or ep9) from that moment on, it's too good to stop watching.

Melody of Oblivion Another freaky and unusual anime. First 8 episodes not too much seems to be happening, although there are allready quite a few references towards the story, after that the story really picks up, 11 episodes are ou now.
Old 2004-07-20, 06:44   Link #5
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Avenger is an amazing series and it's also my namesake. The first episode is great, but the next few episodes are really slow and have no plot development. Suddenly it takes off and has some six or seven episodes of absolute awesomeness all the way through to the ending. Most people don't like this series, and even more hate the ending, but I guess they just didn't understand what was going on.

By the way, it's a 13 episode series.
Old 2004-07-20, 10:49   Link #6
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Gilgamesh starts slow and the art requires some serious getting used to, however once it picks up it becomes a great series
The first two episoeds introduce the setting and characters, then you get 5 episodes which are mostly useless (probably the reason why many people drop this show) and after that the story really starts (in ep8 or ep9) from that moment on, it's too good to stop watching.
Now, just out of curiosity, is Gilgamesh based on the ancient story of Gilgamesh, the Sumerian king? Is there a character called Enkide/Enkende?
Old 2004-07-20, 11:38   Link #7
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, from what I know, Gilgamesh the anime is based on Gilgamesh the manga which was done by Ishinomori Shotaro some twenty years ago, which is somewhat based on certain aspects of the Sumerian Gilgamesh epic. And yes there's a Enkidu in the Gilgamesh epic. for more info on Gilgamesh,
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/g/gilgamesh.html
Old 2004-07-20, 17:19   Link #8
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

in Yumeria, for a while nothing seems to happen, and then you're thrown head first into the final few episodes (it's still pretty interesting up until then, though)
Da Capo literally gets serious halfway through the show (although the "omake" parts after the normal episodes are odd...)
Old 2004-07-21, 19:01   Link #9
Za Paper

Planetes is a good example for me. It was boring with all the character introduction and episodic setup, but when the terrorist story arc kicked in, it became an awesome series.
Old 2004-07-21, 19:24   Link #10
curlyconnor

Kanon. It starts out like a basic dating sim (although maybe with a slightly serious undertone), and then becomes a very serious examination into love, romance, memory, and nostalgia halfway through. Highly recommended.
Old 2004-07-23, 13:49   Link #11
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

Send a message via AIM to Rx_Fink
Escaflowne, definitely. Didn't start getting interesting till episode 8, and not really good till episode 12, but it's freaking awesome once it gets going.
Old 2004-07-23, 15:58   Link #12
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Definitely Noir. It's actually episodic, but in the last few episodes finishes up in a crescendo of action. Another one that might float your boat is Scrapped Princess. The series starts of slow and mysterious, but suddenly takes a huge plot twist in the middle that has left me (and every one of my friends who has seen it) going "OMG!" Definitely what you're looking for (and also one of my all time favorites)
Old 2004-07-23, 23:52   Link #13
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Scrapped Princess is a fantastic anime, but I disagree that it is slow in the begining.

If you are looking for a show that starts out slow and completely unexpededly changes.... then the ultimate would be Narutaru. It starts out as some cutesy pokemon kiddy show and then changes into the most disturbing thing imaginable.
Old 2004-07-24, 00:57   Link #14
fuz_mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
Definitely Noir. It's actually episodic, but in the last few episodes finishes up in a crescendo of action. Another one that might float your boat is Scrapped Princess. The series starts of slow and mysterious, but suddenly takes a huge plot twist in the middle that has left me (and every one of my friends who has seen it) going "OMG!" Definitely what you're looking for (and also one of my all time favorites)

Kanon and Da Capo started out a really huge yawn.. the latter esp with loads of filler, but they all picked up later.

I actually liked Scrapped Princess in the beginning. It was really funny but the middle twist turned the entire series ard. defn surprising but not boring for sure.

What about animes that started off really well but dragged on n became a big yawn?

no offense to Kare Karo fans; but despite all the great ratings, it was really disappointing, esp after the great start.
Closed Thread