AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-05, 20:14   Link #1
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Sweet Valerian

The first episode of the new CLAMP series is out. After seeing it, this reminded me of a cross between Powerpuff Girls and Digi Charat except the fact the girls don't sound obnoxiously cute. The first episode only introduces the main characters so not much plot as of yet. The episode lasted about 3.5 mins so if you're looking to kill some time and brain cells, check this out.
Old 2004-08-05, 20:19   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Why is it just 3.5 minutes? Is it one of those time killer/space filler animes kinda like Pugyuru (sp?) cause I've already decided that I don't like uber short one slike that.

PS, what anime is your avatar from?
Old 2004-08-05, 20:30   Link #3
TronDD
Team the box!

Ok, that was wierd...

The art does remind me of Powerpuff Girls if they were Japanese rabbits.

And his avatar is from KonoMini something something Sekai. "This Ugly and Beautiful World."
Old 2004-08-05, 22:20   Link #4
Avacado Burger
Senpai, we musn't!!!

The first episode acoomplished nothing, and I've already decided that I hate that panda with a passion.

It really really reminds me of Powerpuff Girls, except I was kinda thrown off guard when I heard the girl's voices.
Rough and scary, the kind of woman I don't want to meet in a dark alley.
Old 2004-08-08, 23:15   Link #5
musouka

Perhaps there's something wrong with me, but I honestly find this show more obnoxious than anything else. I'm not sure what's it's aiming at. It's not particularly cute compared to other shows out there, it's not funny, and some of the voices make you want to stick an ice pick in your ear.

I guess it is a testament to CLAMP's popularity when they can write something that looks as though it was scribbled on a napkin over their lunch break and people will actually make an anime out of it.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-08-09, 04:42   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The characters in Di Gi Charat aren't obnoxiously cute, they're cute and obnoxious, which is a far different thing. They were set up that way so that viewers of the show would have something to watch.

This show comes much closer to being "obnoxiously cute." It takes a lot of pride in just... being there. If something was going to happen, we wouldn't have needed all that explanation...
Old 2004-08-11, 02:51   Link #7
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol, as the morale of the story in episode 2: Don't drop your cellphone in the toilet? XD

I completely lost what this anime all about. ^^
Old 2004-08-25, 21:02   Link #8
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Episode 3 is finally out! Did anybody check it out?
Old 2004-08-25, 22:13   Link #9
TronDD
Team the box!

I just watched it. It's...uh...pretty pointless. Didn't think it was even remotely funny.

At least the previous episode had a moral.
Old 2004-08-26, 02:07   Link #10
Xpress

Yea... not the greatest anime in the world, but no one was subbing it, and translators dont really mind working on something that short. So now everyone has the option to watch this anime subbed... that is all we were shooting for on this one
Old 2004-09-09, 15:07   Link #11
TronDD
Team the box!

Anyone still watching this?

Ep 5 had a few decent moments. It's still pretty pointless though.
Old 2004-09-09, 15:37   Link #12
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Anyone still watching this?

Ep 5 had a few decent moments. It's still pretty pointless though.

I think it's very funny. Now the question is if you hate it so much why are you posting to a thread about it?
Old 2004-09-09, 16:19   Link #13
TronDD
Team the box!

What makes you think I "hate it so much"? I simply said it was pointless.

Besides, spending 3 minutes to watch it is hardly a sacrifice. It's at least worth that amount of time.
Old 2004-09-10, 00:39   Link #14
Avacado Burger
Senpai, we musn't!!!

This is one of those series, like Dogtato, that you watch, and can't help but wonder WHY you watch it. You do anyways.

We can add Sweet Valerian to the list of
Reasons Why CLAMP is Overrated
Old 2004-09-12, 18:09   Link #15
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Heh, nice and short. I like it. Main reason is, because it's easy to blog ^^"
Wonder how many eps there are going to be.
Old 2004-09-15, 21:23   Link #16
ultrataro

I think the parallels to Power Puff Girls may be more true than you think. One of the girls' father is a scientist, they live in Asia City (or somthing like that, suspiciously similar to Townsville). The shows are fairly pointless. The highly stylized designs and colors. I was expecting something a little better though. The Powerpuff Girls I think is better, has some pretty memorable villian characters. SV I find amusing, but not great. It's less than 5 min long, so it doesn't take much time to watch, so I do. Maybe that's part of the problem, not long enough to really develop a good show.
Old 2007-04-02, 10:51   Link #17
Nergol

Yay! New episodes of Sweet Valerian are out! Thank you, AnimeForever, for resuming this funny and underrated series!
Old 2007-10-08, 16:10   Link #18
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I just discovered this anime. It strikes me as pretty simple kids stuff, sometimes with a little moral like recycle your rubbish etc. At 3½ minutes long it's about the right length I think.

It does seem heavily Powerpuff Girls inspired in the general setup with the three girls hovering in the air and dealing with baddies. It seems to completely lack the depth of Powerpuff Girls though, which I think was a work of absolute brilliance in how it satirised the old Adam West Batman show and by extension superhero stories generally. Maybe Sweet Valerian also contains subtle references to Japanese TV but I don't see any obvious signs of this, I think it's really just lightweight fluff, but nevertheless it's fun in the small doses it arrives in.

The girls' names, Seratonin, Dopamine and Valerian are a nice touch, and in keeping with their mission to calm people down. (The herb Valerian has a long history of being used as a sedative.)

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Closed Thread