AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-12-04, 02:28   Link #1061
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
So, is this thread just for FT alone, or can other Gundam Wing news/projects be discussed here?
Considering there's already a generic discussion thread for Gundam Wing already on the forum... the former, I'm guessing.
Old 2010-12-04, 02:32   Link #1062
wingzerosnuggles

Yep, this thread is for FT and Endless Waltz: Glory of the Defeated which runs alongside it and has elements of the former integrated into it.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 02:35   Link #1063
Kitsoru
:3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
Since GW actually went head to head with Eva in ratings during the 90's, it's likely Sunrise would pull a stunt like that in 2015. That's the 20th anniversary of both Eva and GW as well as the year Eva is set in. I don't think Sunrise would let a significant year like that pass without doing something.
Hm, that's a good point actually- especially since it's 2015.

How old was all the main cast at the beginning of the series, again....?

Really though, no other Gundam series has gotten a 'touch-up' before, so I don't see that happening. If anything, I see them going for that 'new animated continuation of AC' they mentioned FT being a possible bridge to (or in this case I suppose it'd be MC.. Which, come to think of it, is this the first time a Gundam Universe/calendar name has had its name changed? Not counting Turn-A being an 'endpoint' for every universe, I mean.)
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 02:44   Link #1064
wingzerosnuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKnight View Post
You know, I've seen heaps of anime with brainwash arcs and this is always the case:

The announcer goes: *melancholic voice* "There's no other way except to kill him/her." *they make no eye contact whatsoever. look down to the floor with their irises shaking and way shinier, while they clench their fists to their sides*

This kind of plot is one heavy baked cheesecake. In the end, "OMG LOVE IS THE MOST POWERFUL THING IN THE UNIVERSE" [Taylor Swift song right there] and then we see the brainwashed chick/dude going back to their senses, breaking the laws of science that stated there was no other way but killing them off. They snap out of it after an epic one on one with their lover. Afterward they go crying either while running to the arms of their lover to say sorry blah blah blah or because it's too late, they already stabbed/shot their lover and he/she goes smiling while falling to the floor bleeding and saying "I love you. I'm glad you're back." and then die right there. *EYEROLL*

Seriously. This was always the case in ALL the anime I've seen with brainwash arcs. And I know I'm not the only one saying this in the back of their minds.

Man I hope this isn't what's going to happen because even though I'm a 1xR supporter, this isn't their thing. Cheesecakes + shounen = NOT shounen
You mean like with Euphie? xD

There are exceptions though. Fushigi Yûgi had Tamahome (played by Hikaru Midorikawa aka Heero) brainwashed by Yui (played by Yumi Touma aka Sally/Mrs. Darlian). Miaka (played by Kae Araki aka Hilde xD) snapped him out of it albeit after Hotohori (played by Takehito Koyasu aka Zechs) beat the shit out of him.

It can go either way.
Old 2010-12-04, 02:45   Link #1065
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Considering there's already a generic discussion thread for Gundam Wing already on the forum... the former, I'm guessing.
Yeah, but that thread looks like it's dead. I posted some new line art on the Leo family, and Elo told me it was posted here instead.

So I figured all Gwing news would just go here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Really though, no other Gundam series has gotten a 'touch-up' before, so I don't see that happening. If anything, I see them going for that 'new animated continuation of AC' they mentioned FT being a possible bridge to (or in this case I suppose it'd be MC.. Which, come to think of it, is this the first time a Gundam Universe/calendar name has had its name changed? Not counting Turn-A being an 'endpoint' for every universe, I mean.)
SAY WAT?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 03:07   Link #1066
wingzerosnuggles

From the prologue issue:

** Pages 84-85 Interview with Mr. Sumisawa (<--These are always interesting)

Just the parts that caught my interest.

- He was once in talks to write a novel called "Gundam W: Endlich(?) Eroica". It consisted of looking back at [the AC195] era from Treize's point of view but it was never finished and got shelved. However, he feels that over the years he's become less sensitive in a good way, and his novel-writing skills have somewhat improved, so he thought he'd give it a try again.

- The original plan was to add "Endlich(?) Eroica" to the Endless Waltz novel, but he shelved it when he realized that that would bring the series to over 5 volumes. (laugh) (<-- the EW novelization is 2 volumes long)

- The 5 Gundam pilots and Relena will make an appearance. (<-- Yay!)

- The story will jump all over the place between both the past and future, while centering around AC195

- New mobile suits will be introduced in the novelization but the emphasis will be on their militaristic nature.

- Why the new era "MC" instead of "AC"? He wants people to read the novelization while thinking about the connection between this new era and the AC one.

- He's writing this series as an experiment while thinking of things such as how to revive "something that has already fully concluded once", and "why sequels are so hard to get right". So this isn't really a true sequel, but a transitional novel to help develop a successful sequel.

- And this is also meant to be a work to bring Gundam W to the level of completion of the "First Gundam " (<-- "First Gundam" means UC Gundam)

Translated by kaijyuu_m.

Source: http://wingzerohugs.livejournal.com/5466.html#cutid1
Old 2010-12-04, 03:42   Link #1067
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
You mean like with Euphie? xD

There are exceptions though. Fushigi Yûgi had Tamahome (played by Hikaru Midorikawa aka Heero) brainwashed by Yui (played by Yumi Touma aka Sally/Mrs. Darlian). Miaka (played by Kae Araki aka Hilde xD) snapped him out of it albeit after Hotohori (played by Takehito Koyasu aka Zechs) beat the shit out of him.

It can go either way.
Lol you're good. Euphie and Tamahome were on my list when I stated that, actually. That's why I went "either cry and run into their lover's arms" [Tamahome or Ruriko Ikusawa of Gatekeepers] or "snap out of it too late and they already killed their lover." [Euphie, yeah. Or Van Helsing and Princess Ana from Van Helsing] lol

I don't like either of the cases. They're both overused, cheap and cheesy. But as a 1xR supporter, if I had to choose, I'd settle for the former. But if it really had to be the latter, I prefer Relena killing off Heero. I'm sorry, girls. I don't mean to start a war here. Just saying what I would prefer in the worst case scenario. I'm a Heero fan too. But Relena's my #1. Please lower your weapons.
Old 2010-12-04, 03:54   Link #1068
Tobi_Uchiha
Tobi is a Good Boy!

Quote:
Since GW actually went head to head with Eva in ratings during the 90's, it's likely Sunrise would pull a stunt like that in 2015. That's the 20th anniversary of both Eva and GW as well as the year Eva is set in. I don't think Sunrise would let a significant year like that pass without doing something.
No, I wouldn't think so either and I'm realy hoping that frozen teardrop is both satisfying and hasa a good ending element instead of a hollywood tragedy.
And if it comes to that it might get adapted in to movie or there will be a compilation movies much like the.eva movies. Though 2015 is one hell of a way, but I bet DC Universe still won't be released till then LOL!! :3
Tobi_Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 03:59   Link #1069
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi_Uchiha View Post
No, I wouldn't think so either and I'm realy hoping that frozen teardrop is both satisfying and hasa a good ending element instead of a hollywood tragedy.
I second this.
Old 2010-12-04, 04:24   Link #1070
Kitsoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi_Uchiha View Post
Thing is, IF Relena ends up being directly violent (we still don't even know exactly what her deal is), IF things don't get resolved somehow before the climax, and IF Heero and Relena somehow end up having to directly face one another, how COULD it possibly be resolved (in terms of the relationship between those two) without going either of those ways, even if not to the extremes of the examples given? It's gotta get resolved somehow. Prospects ain't lookin' good IF all of that ends up the case.

But that's a lot of If's.
Old 2010-12-04, 04:26   Link #1071
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Four of em, to be exact.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 04:52   Link #1072
Kitsoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Four of em, to be exact.
I'm sure there are more that haven't occurred to me yet.
Old 2010-12-04, 05:18   Link #1073
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Thing is, IF Relena ends up being directly violent (we still don't even know exactly what her deal is), IF things don't get resolved somehow before the climax, and IF Heero and Relena somehow end up having to directly face one another, how COULD it possibly be resolved (in terms of the relationship between those two) without going either of those ways, even if not to the extremes of the examples given? It's gotta get resolved somehow. Prospects ain't lookin' good IF all of that ends up the case.
Man I know eh.

See if that really is the climax it has [which is also the only climax I can deduce right now], this thing's genre is F-ing romance. Romance and drama. WTF! Lame. The Ain and Angelina thing - man, I was shaking my head the whole time I was reading it. What's the deal with the soap opera?! I've had enough of that crap and that's why I prefer watching anime.

But then, the Japanese fans are probably loving it. SD was way more popular than SEED just because of that very reason.

But hell, the cheesecake was too effing thick for my taste. I was just glad that it was washed down when mobile suits were discussed in the following chapters.
Old 2010-12-04, 05:26   Link #1074
wingzerosnuggles

@Michael Available for IM? xD

See, you can do drama without being super fail. G ended on a whole "power of love" note but it still managed to be badass. You know why? They built up to the dramatic pay-off instead of scattering it haphazardly in every episode. If Domon was going to breakdown and make an anguished love confession, it had to be done at the last possible moment when everything was critical. Rain went through the whole "brainwashed" thing, too. G pulled it off.
Old 2010-12-04, 05:49   Link #1075
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
@Michael Available for IM? xD

See, you can do drama without being super fail. G ended on a whole "power of love" note but it still managed to be badass. You know why? They built up to the dramatic pay-off instead of scattering it haphazardly in every episode. If Domon was going to breakdown and make an anguished love confession, it had to be done at the last possible moment when everything was critical. Rain went through the whole "brainwashed" thing, too. G pulled it off.
PMing you in 15min.

Agreed. Honestly, am I the only one who thinks Sunrise went "Ah, shit yeah. S/SD were huge success because of the drama. Let's do that with 00 and Code Geass."

Then boom 00 and CG were tearjerkers too. That is just brilliant.

Sumisawa was probably like "Ah, shit yeah. I'll do it to Wing as well."
I don't care if Wing suddenly becomes popular in Japan because of that. I'd rather have it not popular in Japan but popular in the West because it doesn't have freaking: DON'T DIE ON ME!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOO!!!!!!! *scream names* Cue overdramatised flow of tears and berserk mode. Everything has gone predictable. Shizz.
Old 2010-12-04, 06:06   Link #1076
wingzerosnuggles

00S2 was a ratings disappointment compared to Destiny though. The same can be said about CGR2. If anything, I'm thinking they've started to see that over-dramatics and splitting things into two seasons does NOT work. Why do you think they sank money into Inu-Yasha: The Final Act? It was a sure bet after those two didn't meet expectations.
Old 2010-12-04, 06:19   Link #1077
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

All I know is that Wing is an awesome anime that has a little bit of everything. Yes it's action, yes it's sci-fi, yes it's political, warfare, betrayal. It also has romance and drama. And heck if they didn't have Duo they wouldn't have a little bit of comedy as well. It's a classic anime. 90's was the best. No fanservice too. Wow. I mean, yeah it has its WTF moments but hey it was awesome and clearly only mature-minded people like it because of its political twists and blunt revelation of the ugly truth about stupid decisions. Which everyone makes in reality.

Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain were awesome anime as well that had a little bit of everything. They didn't have to have cheesecake to be popular [then again, this is just probably in the West]. Maan I don't know. *sigh*
Old 2010-12-04, 16:04   Link #1078
wingzerosnuggles

Btw, any chance someone could post the rankings page from the January issue? Relena was at #13 in the December one.
Old 2010-12-04, 17:20   Link #1079
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKnight View Post
All I know is that Wing is an awesome anime that has a little bit of everything. Yes it's action, yes it's sci-fi, yes it's political, warfare, betrayal. It also has romance and drama. And heck if they didn't have Duo they wouldn't have a little bit of comedy as well. It's a classic anime. 90's was the best. No fanservice too. Wow. I mean, yeah it has its WTF moments but hey it was awesome and clearly only mature-minded people like it because of its political twists and blunt revelation of the ugly truth about stupid decisions. Which everyone makes in reality.
...mature-minded people? Where the heck did all the fangirls and fanboys come from then? xD Sunrise was actually pretty smart to put both good plot and eye candy in Wing. Sure boosted sales. Thankfully the bishounen look was all the fanservice there is. The women in Wing actually know what a bra is, unlike recent incarnations 90's ftw.

I beg to differ about the comedy part though, Duo isn't the only humorous element. The 'james bond cranked up to eleven' moments were as badass as they were hilarious And Trowa's snarky moments have a certain charm as well. Oh, and episode four! The legendary episode that features Treize in a bubble bath, Noin acting like a hormonal teenager, Wu Fei yelling at hyenas and the most famous scene, Relena screaming from a cliff for Heero to come and kill her. Completely random. And let's not forget Dorothy's eyebrows xD

Quote:
See if that really is the climax it has [which is also the only climax I can deduce right now], this thing's genre is F-ing romance. Romance and drama. WTF! Lame. The Ein and Angelina thing - man, I was shaking my head the whole time I was reading it. What's the deal with the soap opera?! I've had enough of that crap and that's why I prefer watching anime.
Let's not forget about the 'let me have your child!' bullcrap from the women >_> Ikeda isn't the only one who can't do romance...

Quote:
But then, the Japanese fans are probably loving it. SD was way more popular than SEED just because of that very reason.
Seriously? 'Shinn, you just killed my sister and love interest. HOLD ME!' was popular????

EDIT: By the way, 'Endlich Eroica' would mean 'Finally Eroica'. Yay for more German and symphonies. I have no idea what that novel could've been about.

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2010-12-04 at 17:42. Reason: felt the need to add something expedient
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 17:37   Link #1080
wingzerosnuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
...mature-minded people? Where the heck did all the fangirls and fanboys come from then? xD Sunrise was actually pretty smart to put both good plot and eye candy in Wing. Sure boosted sales. Thankfully the bishounen look was all the fanservice there is. The women in Wing actually know what a bra is, unlike recent incarnations 90's ftw.
Some weird hell portal, I assume. I like how the GW ladies dressed like, you know, how normal civilian and military women would dress. Granted, Noin's cowboy outfit was kinda stupid. Still, all the school uniforms were classy. Nowadays, school uniforms in anime are fetish fuel. Military uniforms too. *glares at Lunamaria* WTF is with the custom skirt? Seriously, what kind of military allows that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Seriously? 'Shinn, you just killed my sister and love interest. HOLD ME!' was popular????
If TV ratings and DVD sales are any indication, yes. -_-

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing