Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-08-08, 08:21   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

AnimeNewsNetwork.com hacked?

Looks like AnimeNewsNetwork.com is having trouble with their domain name.

I'll refrain from linking to it here, but right now the site doesn't look like it is supposed to (for me).

Relevant Reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comme...domain_hacked/

If their domain was hijacked this could take them some effort to fix and recover.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 08:31   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

You guys better make some checks here FWIW.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 15:25   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Here's an update:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/site-...etwork/.119882

TL;DR: www.animenewsnetwork.cc is the new URL until (and if?) they get their domain back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
You guys better make some checks here FWIW.
I don't know how easy it was to hijack ANN's domain name, but I'd at least like to think for AnimeSuki.com it's not so easy.
Old 2017-08-09, 00:00   Link #4
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

People are suggesting that whoever took over the domain has an agenda over ANN itself.
It would still be a good idea to check up on any vulnerabilities on our domain, though.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-11, 10:40   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I've created a small forum plugin that rewrites all animenewsnetwork.com links to animenewsnetwork.cc links. This applies to any existing link no matter how old the post is.

Test: www.animenewsnetwork.com (try hitting "Quote" to see this originally is a link to the .com address)

This plugin will be removed once ANN recovers their domain (but that could take months).
Old 2017-08-11, 11:54   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One theory I've seen is that the hacker was really after the @anime Twitter handle that ANN owns.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-11, 21:18   Link #7
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
One theory I've seen is that the hacker was really after the @anime Twitter handle that ANN owns.
Which, ironically, was one of the first things they were able to recover (despite losing all the followers).

They have a new article up today with a pretty fascinating look at how they did it. Cell phone SIM card swap via tricking a customer service rep... pretty nasty.
Old 2017-08-12, 12:09   Link #8
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
This social engineering exploit has grown increasingly common over the years. They've attacked a number of popular Youtubers using it and it is disturbing that Cell Phone companies remain so lax over it.

If you ever lose service for long periods of time; might want to be cautious.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 13:41   Link #9
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
via tricking a customer service rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
This social engineering exploit has grown increasingly common over the years.
When your average customer service model is based around hiring the cheapest labor possible, this is only makes the job of criminals easier. The irony is that it's actually harder for normal customers to conduct normal business than it is for social engineers (they're not all criminals). Years ago when dealing with an issue I couldn't escalate past customer service I had a business contact who offered to help. In a three way call I listened to this guy work over the customer rep like it was the most natural thing in the world. When you do what he did for a living it's something that comes very easy. You learn just the right questions to ask and just the right tactics to bypass human suspicion, and because of the way CS is set up you can fail as much as you want because you'll probably get a new rep every time.
Old 2017-08-13, 01:18   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
When your average customer service model is based around hiring the cheapest labor possible, this is only makes the job of criminals easier. The irony is that it's actually harder for normal customers to conduct normal business than it is for social engineers (they're not all criminals). Years ago when dealing with an issue I couldn't escalate past customer service I had a business contact who offered to help. In a three way call I listened to this guy work over the customer rep like it was the most natural thing in the world. When you do what he did for a living it's something that comes very easy. You learn just the right questions to ask and just the right tactics to bypass human suspicion, and because of the way CS is set up you can fail as much as you want because you'll probably get a new rep every time.
Yup. At least for the latter issue, there are things they could do to make that aspect more difficult (e.g. put a note on someone's file if someone was denied, which would require escalation should they try again and not have every single duck in a row), but they generally don't. CS is trying to help and some people legitimately are quite confused... plus most people don't understand just how much is at stake in the first place (so they get offended if you don't just do whatever they ask on the first try, no matter what policies it may violate). It's a challenge, for sure.
Old 2018-04-25, 06:23   Link #11
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
This plugin will be removed once ANN recovers their domain (but that could take months).
Probably a bit overdue, but this plugin is now disabled again.

www.animenewsnetwork.com will now link to the .com again, not .cc