AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-05, 08:33   Link #1
The Valeyard
Kikaichuu!!

Send a message via MSN to The Valeyard
Detective Conan

I'm always on the lookout to watch some classic anime that i have not seen.

I came across a an anime called Detective Conan the other day. I was amazed that it was up to 365 episodes or somthing, but i wanted to know, is it actually any good ?
The Valeyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 10:37   Link #2
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Ep 349 just aired on Monday Feb. 2.

The show is very good, it's been on for the past 8 years, and shows up in the top 10 most watched anime programs weekly in Japan. It's one of the best type of Detective genre shows out there (not like the crap that was Spiral and Tantei Gakuen Q).
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 11:51   Link #3
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
I love Detective Conan also. Unfortunately, when I first started really getting into it, it became licensed. I read somewhere it was supposed to be shown on the Fox Family Channel. Does anyone one know if this has happened? or if it's on TV in the states yet? I'd really like to see it again, even if it is with the crappy american dub I'm sure they'll put on it.

Anyway, I highly reccommend the show. It's really surprising how good it is.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 12:17   Link #4
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar
I love Detective Conan also. Unfortunately, when I first started really getting into it, it became licensed. I read somewhere it was supposed to be shown on the Fox Family Channel. Does anyone one know if this has happened? or if it's on TV in the states yet? I'd really like to see it again, even if it is with the crappy american dub I'm sure they'll put on it.

Anyway, I highly reccommend the show. It's really surprising how good it is.
From rightstuf.com:

Quote:
And as for Adult Swim: April 5, at 12:30 AM Eastern will be the debut of the popular murder/mystery series, Detective Conan! Then, April 24 at 11:00 PM Eastern will see the start of Wolf's Rain, Bandai's moody new drama series.
As for me, I really like Conan as well, but the lack of any forward movement in the overall plot:
Spoiler:
...slightly puts a damper on things. Overall, if you like the first few episodes, chances are you'll find yourself hooked like the rest of us.
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 12:37   Link #5
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Detective Conan licensed by Funimation.

-> DVD & Licensed

Thread moved
Old 2004-02-05, 18:53   Link #6
Ral
Idea!

Some recent news about DC. It's name will be changed to Case Closed. The name had to be changed due to legal considerations. Here's the website with a little summary of the show a FAQ http://www.caseclosed.com
Ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 19:42   Link #7
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ral
Some recent news about DC. It's name will be changed to Case Closed. The name had to be changed due to legal considerations. Here's the website with a little summary of the show a FAQ http://www.caseclosed.com
AHH!!! That's awful! Jimmy Kudo and Rachel Moore?! AUUUUGGGH!!!!! *head explodes*

As if the North American audience wouldn't be able to handle hearing Shinichi Kudo... God, I hope they do reversible covers on the DVDs too. I don't want "Case Closed" smeared on the front of my "DETECTIVE CONAN" DVDs. Geez. As the pull to get more and more anime on TV moves forward, companies get more and more ridiculous with their '"localization"...

Hmph...
Old 2004-02-05, 19:51   Link #8
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Interesting news to hear! Since I don't know what "Adult Swim" is, does that mean Meitantei Conan will be shoved onto an obscure cable channel and shown late at night...?

hmm...kinda interesting how here it is shown in the "golden timeslot" on Monday at 7:30PM

Probably has to do with all the murder scenes?
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 20:27   Link #9
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Interesting news to hear! Since I don't know what "Adult Swim" is, does that mean Meitantei Conan will be shoved onto an obscure cable channel and shown late at night...?

hmm...kinda interesting how here it is shown in the "golden timeslot" on Monday at 7:30PM

Adult Swim is the name of the block that aims animation at adults on Cartoon Network. The blocks starts at 11 pm eastern time.

What an surprising name change. I wonder what legal issues caused the name change?
Interesting they are keeping his name
Quote:
Disguising his true identity by adopting the name “Conan Edogawa”

Last edited by method; 2004-02-05 at 20:38.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 20:47   Link #10
Ral
Idea!

One thing I'm kind of confused with is what they say for the results of the name changes, they worked with their Japanese partners. Does that mean that they worked with the Japanese company of it for picking the names?
Ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 22:19   Link #11
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980

Yeah, it's horribly bizarre. Whereas here in Japan, Conan is considered to be mainly geared towards a younger audience, but in the U.S., simply because of the violence, it will be pitched to an older crowd. I have a feeling though that an edited version will be released in the afternoon block eventually after they see how it does on Adult Swim. I can't honestly see how it's going to be all that popular in the 12:00 A.M. time slot they're giving it.
Old 2004-02-05, 22:55   Link #12
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Does that mean that they worked with the Japanese company of it for picking the names?

Indeed they likely did, as they chose the new title for the show with them.

So you can't lay the blame for this fully on Funimation's shoulders, the Japanese have a hand in it too. In fact, a lot of really stupid changes in R1 releases are directly caused by licensing demands from the Japanese.

As Mike Toole said, "No one screws up anime better than the Japanese."
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 23:47   Link #13
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer_us
Yeah, it's horribly bizarre. Whereas here in Japan, Conan is considered to be mainly geared towards a younger audience, but in the U.S., simply because of the violence, it will be pitched to an older crowd. I have a feeling though that an edited version will be released in the afternoon block eventually after they see how it does on Adult Swim. I can't honestly see how it's going to be all that popular in the 12:00 A.M. time slot they're giving it.
the 12 o'clock block is the starting point for the anime portion of adult swim. FLCL and other anime succeeded at that time. Anime is not the top draw of AS anyway.
Old 2004-02-06, 00:48   Link #14
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

I sincerely hope there will be reversible DVD covers with the proper name of the show....
Old 2004-02-06, 01:43   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
I sincerely hope there will be reversible DVD covers with the proper name of the show....
I doubt it, since it's a legal reason for changing the name. At least you're getting an uneditted subbed version on dvd too. Certain other companies wouldn't even do that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by method
Anime is not the top draw of AS anyway.
I was under the impression that Cowboy Bebop was the top draw, until everyone saw it 100 times, as they keep running it over and over. Maybe if they got the tv rights to more series so they'd have new stuff to show, anime would get higher ratings on AS.
Old 2004-02-06, 01:57   Link #16
method

Quote:
I was under the impression that Cowboy Bebop was the top draw, until everyone saw it 100 times, as they keep running it over and over. Maybe if they got the tv rights to more series so they'd have new stuff to show, anime would get higher ratings on AS.
Cowboy Bebop averaged around .5 for its run on Saturdays. This is compared to the comedy shows that average around a 2.0. Anime is still not as accepted as american animation especially with the name recognition they have.
Old 2004-02-06, 02:34   Link #17
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

If they screw with the video stream though in the subbed version on the DVD, there'll be hell to pay. I don't want to see some replaced logo in there.
Old 2004-02-06, 02:55   Link #18
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
If they screw with the video stream though in the subbed version on the DVD, there'll be hell to pay.
Yeah, suuure there'll be. What'll you do, throw a temper tantrum? Yeah, that'll really show 'em.
Old 2004-02-06, 05:31   Link #19
Ookla The Mok

the "conan the barbarian" people own the trademarks for just plain "conan" in relation to ongoing animated television programs, comic books, videos, and merchandise. FUNimation had no choice.

The character names are another matter though.
Ookla The Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 23:48   Link #20
Fronzel
Schmuck

Why do you suppse they did that? It's not being aimed at children...will this really "increase the appeal"?
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shonen