AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-02, 00:16   Link #1461
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

I always thought Ranka was a mix of the Wesley and the Load with a hint of Damsel Scrappy. Fufufu...man I love this site...♥
Old 2009-03-02, 00:20   Link #1462
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Am I the only one who feels we didn't really need that wall of text drudged up again?

Old 2009-03-02, 00:29   Link #1463
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I fucking hate thread necromancy, especially when its cast on one of the most incomprehensible posting style I've yet seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3HoLiC View Post
when ranka was acting in the movie..she heistated to accept the role (pissed me off..its like if u like him go for it.) then she saw Sheryl kissing Alto..ranka didnt shed tears (surprised me) instead she stood up and accepted the role.....well at the end of the episode i wondered if this was fate... alto becoming the stunt...and the director dude wanting ranka to be Mao.. and they just have to kiss at that scene...WOW
I do not understand why she needs to shed tears? So at that point, Ranka has a crush on Alto, but to the point where she needs to shed tears? Highly doubt it. If she had to shed tears, then she is more immature than I thought.

Her actions during episode 10 was a knee-jerk reaction at best. She failed to take the initiative, and it was not until Bobby came along did she agree to perform her role as Mao. Moreover, if Ranka's intent was to prove to Alto her love, the result was probably not what she expected as Alto did not take her kiss (in reality, a CPR session) seriously, at all.

Quote:
then when Ranka went to Galia 4 and saved Alto...that took a lot of guts...i mean HELLO..shes not wearing bulletproof shirt..shes willing to sacrifice her life to save ppl...(thats pretty impressive)...at that pt. im like wow..ranka is not a whiny little girl anymore..she seriously stood up in this episode..so i started to think Ranka is not that bad
Neither was Sheryl, not that wearing a Kevlar suit would help against a five meter tall Zentradi armed with plasma anyway, but we will leave that for another day.

And unlike Ranka, Sheryl was not in a Valkyrie nor was she healthy. You do realize that Sheryl's death could come at any minute, and that her chance of survival was certainly less than that of Ranka's?

Quote:
so she runs up..and gets a stab in the heart..when she sees Sheryl and Alto hugging...of course..i would be sad..if i was her....so Ranka says Sorry and runs....pretty realistic...i mean...every1 wants to use Ranka..using her dream as a tool..that's pretty sad.. even though Ranka knows it..she still stands up..and shes willing to be tool if it can protect Frontier...(thats some inner strength)
Look, the problem with Ranka is that she likes to dwell in her little belief bubble while disregarding anything else that happens around her. She believes what she likes to believe while remaining oblivious to the greater reality. Ranka and Alto hardly entered a relationship, but she'd assume that Alto likes her and would definitely accept her feelings. No wonder she was heart broken.

Quote:
i mean as the series goes on i don't like Sheryl as much...esp. when she was like to grace..." Why is it not ME.!" "Why is it not MY voice that works on the vajras.!" it doesnt always have to be u Sheryl...give other ppl a chance.. i mean Ranka used her own talent for her career.like what u said about ur career.
You also forgot the fact that singing is the only thing Sheryl can do. Suddenly, her sole meaning in life was stripped away from her and she was left to die. Never mind that Grace simply lay it all out in the open. I am sorry, but Sheryl too, is a human being, a fact you probably all too conveniently forgotten. She is allowed to have feelings, you know? Certainly, there was a degree of jealousy, but it must be noted Sheryl blamed herself for her lack of abilities, and not Ranka for her gift to pacify the Vajra.

Quote:
When Ranka left Alto i was shocked...
Ranka is willing to give up her love for the peace of her country...i mean hey..shes pretty broad hearted.. of course Ranka was very sad..i mean who wouldnt be?
If Alto had accepted her feelings, she would have never gone. The fact of the matter is that she sang for one person, and that person was Alto. Prior to this, she sang because she wanted to prove her existence, but that was eventually downgraded to just one singular individual. Seeking peace with the Vajra was only secondary to the fact that she was unable to face the harsh emotional realities that haunted her.

And I assume I need not get into how Ranka handled the situation.

Unlike Ranka, Sheryl accepted the reality that she was a failed experiment, that she was bound to die, that was was a manufactured product. Then she defied them all by standing up on her two fucking feet and lived on.

Quote:
if it was Sheryl who has this talent..she might just keep on singing and use it against the vajras..and the problem is not solved...
And on what basis do you assume this?

Quote:
Ranka leaves to seek peace..and she lets go of everything and she know that she might die.( what a broad love..i mean Ranka is not being selfish at all..she will part Alto..and she knows that he might end up with sheryl.. but she is willing to give up everything in order to save every1.. i mean humans are selfish..its like asking to give up everything and face a hidieous monster and u might end up dying
Please remember that she had volunteered to be the savior of Frontier in the first place. She had thought about this, and even had a discussion with her brother until she accepted the mantle of Minmei #2. Nobody forced her to become a tool or weapon, she volunteered. Although she was doing this because of one person, Alto, and although she would deny it, she was certainly not doing it for the people. It was unfortunate that she had deceived herself and everyone else around her.

By leaving Frontier, she hardly accomplished anything beneficial. Yes, Frontier eventually prevailed, but it was hardly Ranka's doing. By imposing self-exile, Ranka pretty much gave Frontier and the rest of humanity a death sentence. Vajra attacks did not cease after Ranka departed, and her departure only caused Grace to become more powerful than anyone could have imagined. This left Frontier very little choice except to challenge Grace head-on. Moreover, it was Sheryl who saved her, whose songs woke her up and freed her from her bondage. If it was not for Sheryl, Ranka would have been the instrument of humanity's doom.

Never mind the fact that she had already destroyed a good chunk of the fleet with her singing alone.

Quote:
i mean i like Ranka's song too..Sheryl is ok... i mean Sheryl's voice act is too rush..i think she should sing more like diamod crevass song..and to tell the truth..May'n's voice is just kinda plain...i mean Megumi Nakajima did a good job i think..she has a magnetic feeling to her voice...and it sounds really gentle
I am not going to ask why you think Sheryl's voice is too rush, but from my perspective, and since I do understand Japanese, I can confidently tell you that Aya Endo's voice acting is top notch.

Moreover, say what you will about May'n's singing, although it is anything but plain.

I am not even going to ask why you think Megumi's singing has a magnetic feeling, except I can also tell you that a majority of the people who had seen Macross Frontier around the world would probably disagree with you.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2009-03-02 at 00:44.
Old 2009-03-02, 00:38   Link #1464
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Eh, I somewhat felt bad about not reading that text before but, but... whenever I see it I lose all the determination I managed to muster earlier. Good work there, Tak. At least someone took their time

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2009-03-02, 00:42   Link #1465
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Am I the only one who feels we didn't really need that wall of text drudged up again?
You're not the only one.

Ranka was just a spoiled little girl who still didn't grow up, even after all the things she went through and indirectly caused. In the last episode, she wasn't any different from the first episode.

Add: *squints* Oi! May'n voice is anything but plain! Where is FD, May'n fangirl extraordinaire, who saw May'n kickass live?!

Last edited by raile; 2009-03-02 at 00:58.
Old 2009-03-02, 00:45   Link #1466
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

But, but... this trend's not coming back, is it? I mean, walls of text with lotsa pictures and incongruent arguments are so... 2008, no?

Old 2009-03-02, 01:27   Link #1467
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

I smell a sockpuppet.
Old 2009-03-02, 04:51   Link #1468
magnuskn

Nah, it´s missing the requisite glut of monkey-smileys and the delusions of power.
Old 2009-03-02, 06:56   Link #1469
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Add: *squints* Oi! May'n voice is anything but plain! Where is FD, May'n fangirl extraordinaire, who saw May'n kickass live?!
WUT!?!? Someone dared to say such a thing?

Magnetic feeling? What non-sense does this person speak of? It's probably the magnets in your speakers, duh.

Gentle? That's called the genius of Audio Engineers. Does this person really truly bloody believe she'll sound the same outside of the studio? She ain't there yet. And it's a long way before she can even come close to May'n or Maaya's leagues.
Old 2009-03-02, 07:10   Link #1470
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Nah, it´s missing the requisite glut of monkey-smileys and the delusions of power.
Oh, I didn't say it was hers. Either way, the post just reeks of sockpuppet, and it's not even a very good one, oh well.
Old 2009-03-02, 08:50   Link #1471
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Well, actually Mari Ijima's popularity only lives as far as SDF Macross Period. As far as it goes, she didn't have the chance to enjoy the globalization like both May'n and NakaMegu do, so her popularity dies out fast. If you try to squint your eyes at her career, then you should have seen that she is generally known only because of Macross "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka".
lol wut? She's had like 5 top ten albums in Japan and released over 20 albums and is still going at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
And someone posted the clip long time ago, showing Ranka's VA sang in her own voice...and it was very different from Ranka's voice...I don't know whether Sheryl's VA could change her voice that much..but those two VA should be really talented in singing anyway...besides, the classic Ai Oboete was from a movie...maybe we can expect something like that (a great song...not saying the old songs in the series are bad) in the macross f movie??
Actually May'n also changed her signing voice when she sung as Sheryl, here look at this earlier May'n single for instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNsJW-a2gLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpMCy...eature=related
Old 2009-03-02, 14:40   Link #1472
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
WUT!?!? Someone dared to say such a thing?

Magnetic feeling? What non-sense does this person speak of? It's probably the magnets in your speakers, duh.

Gentle? That's called the genius of Audio Engineers. Does this person really truly bloody believe she'll sound the same outside of the studio? She ain't there yet. And it's a long way before she can even come close to May'n or Maaya's leagues.
Actually, Maaya isn't that great in my opinion. Don't get me wrong now though, I enjoyed Triangular but there was something missing from her voice, it felt kind of bland after I heard the duet between May'N and Megumi. I felt that the duet was actually better than the original, but that's just me

Also, I believe that Megumi's voice is pretty gentle and I doubt it's because of audio engineering. For example in Aimo, the original one, I don't hear much done to her voice, if anything was done to it.

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-03-02 at 16:15.
Old 2009-03-02, 14:51   Link #1473
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not supposed to hear the actual "magic" behind the production of a hit single, are you?
I don't really mind Mamegu's singing voice, but I do think she lacks range and power. Her song selection in the series does help, as it suits her strenghts (even if they are not my particular cup o' tea) - but her songs that came out after it ended are severely lacking just that empathy.

Just listening to May'N performing live is enough to convince me of the difference between the two. But I think we're getting a bit off-topic, here. Maybe this should be better taken to the Music discussion?

Old 2009-03-02, 15:16   Link #1474
zalem

I actually do agree that Megumi's voice is gentle. But May'n's voice plain? Now that, I don't see where you get that. I've hear people complain that she oversings things and I think that might be a more legit complaint. But I don't think you can call her plain.
Old 2009-03-02, 15:46   Link #1475
justavisitor

@zalem

I think Dex meant Maaya, not May'n...(he felt Maay's voice was missing something after hearing the duet between May'n and Megumi)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-03-02, 16:14   Link #1476
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
@zalem

I think Dex meant Maaya, not May'n...(he felt Maay's voice was missing something after hearing the duet between May'n and Megumi)
lol, actually I think Zalem was talking about the original poster. She was talking about May'N because someone said earlier that May'N's voice was plain (in which I also disagree.)
Old 2009-03-02, 16:26   Link #1477
justavisitor

@Dex and zalem

Oh, well sorry zalem, I thought your post is a response to Dex's post..once again, sorry zalem
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-03-02, 19:58   Link #1478
X3HoLiC
Ramen..

dude...tak..why do u have to be sooooo furious.. chill......it's just an anime..it's not real life...... at the end...Ranka did save Sheryl by moving the virus from Sheryl's head to her tummy......i never said i didn't like Sheryl..i agree with you..because every1 is different and every1 has their own pt. of view.. every1 see and hear in a diff. pt.... i mean u have a good reason bout why u like Sheryl...but i just like Ranka's character more...and i'm not gonna argue because i respect ur pt. of view....and dude..besides...i'm just posting my opinion..........and Zalem is right...May'n does oversing...
Old 2009-03-02, 20:12   Link #1479
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
dude...tak..why do u have to be sooooo furious..
Furious? Is that how I come across to you? Wow. Nonetheless, I assure you that my buddies here will tell you that is my very, very mild mode. You haven't seen me furious, nor do you want to. They will kindly inform you what that looks like as well, if you so wish.

Quote:
Ranka did save Sheryl by moving the virus from Sheryl's head to her tummy......
And she could never do that if it was not for the fact that Sheryl saved her ass from being turned into a tentacle cake.

Oh, and let us not forget, she forced an entire fleet to march against her while destroying what? More than half in the process? And what happened afterward? Instant forgiveness! No remorse, no regret, and not even a fucking reflection.

Throughout the show, convenience was Ranka's best friend. She needed an important part in the movie, sure, lets have the director oh-so-conveniently spot her singing. She needed to do something big, sure, lets conveniently have Sheryl and Alto thrown into a pinch. She needed quality time with Alto and developing herself into a super star? Sure, lets conveniently have Sheryl sick and half-dead. Then, afterward, she committed a mistake, but we are expected to also conveniently allow that to pass. How fortunate of her, to have convenience as her ally? Holy shit, and that is supposed to be good character development?

Thank goodness for Ohnogi. For without him, I don't know if I can even swallow the latter half of the show!

Quote:
but i just like Ranka's character more...and i'm not gonna argue because i respect ur pt. of view....and dude..besides...i'm just posting my opinion..........
Good for you. You have your opinion, we have ours. Post your opinions here, and they are subject to scrutiny, since this is a, oh dare I say it, a public discussions form? Welcome.

Quote:
and Zalem is right...May'n does oversing...
And over sing is not plain.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2009-03-02 at 20:26.
Old 2009-03-02, 21:05   Link #1480
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Throughout the show, convenience was Ranka's best friend. She needed an important part in the movie, sure, lets have the director oh-so-conveniently spot her singing. She needed to do something big, sure, lets conveniently have Sheryl and Alto thrown into a pinch. She needed quality time with Alto and developing herself into a super star? Sure, lets conveniently have Sheryl sick and half-dead. Then, afterward, she committed a mistake, but we are expected to also conveniently allow that to pass. How fortunate of her, to have convenience as her ally? Holy shit, and that is supposed to be good character development?

Thank goodness for Ohnogi. For without him, I don't know if I can even swallow the latter half of the show!
- Tak
Seriously though Tak, you do need to relax a bit. Don't give me the "oh this is nothing, you have yet to see my bad side" bit because it is pretty tiring. What is also tiring is your redundant rants because you've been repeating the same lines in different ways ever since I read your first post. These rants are unnecessary whether or not people's opinions are subject for "scrutiny" as you like to put it. Your cursing isn't helping one bit either considering that you could be cursing to a minor on a public forum that many other minors could very well read.

By the way, the biggest reasons you hate Ranka for apparently are because of the person you praise. In my opinion, Ohnogi's portrayal of Ranka was misinterpreted and you always seem to twist it in the worst ways possible. We've already had our fair share of arguments about this, so let's just leave it at that.
Closed Thread