AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-29, 18:07   Link #141
Go0gleplex
The Old Guy

Garbage CGI that just did NOT integrate well with the scene....and then the hydra powers were just lazy work. And yeah....like wuhgum said. The anti-material railgun went off like a mini-wave motion gun. Not the narrow plasma beam it would have appeared as due to its speed.

I get they are trying to pack a lot of information into a short time slot...but good grief. It's like amateur hour by whomever laid out and planned it. Makes me wonder how much better it would have been with a competent animation studio behind it.

"No society can thrive when it puts more money, effort, and emotion into its vices rather than its virtues."

Harem of choice? Uzume, Rory Mercury, Raphtalia, and Yasaka.
Go0gleplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 18:17   Link #142
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

All I can say is that I've seen worse fights and and worse plot than this so it's not unwatchable for me.

somebody tagged this as low budget and yet it has all these CGI monsters which isn't cheap I think?

This fight reminds me of that turtle rock dungeon boss from zelda a link to the past, although that one only had 3 heads.

Also we finally found out where the teacher was. From the flashbacks we knew she was against making her students fight but since her ability is that of a farmer then she's sent somewhere else because she doesn't have any fighting capabilities, just like the MC, but she's still a summon so they can't exactly get rid of her easily.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 19:38   Link #143
4th Dimension

Teacher has a noncombat class, but her is actually an OP one since she can MASSIVELY improve fertility of fields and therefore boost the shit out of crop yeelds. Not flashy but VEEERY important for the War Effort and VEEERY rare. She is pretty much considered almost a demigodess of fertility

Which is pretty much the reason she has any say in this at all.

I don't know how you could make something CHEAPER than that thing. This is early 00s console video game levels of fidelity.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 20:07   Link #144
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
If I'm ever in charge of creating a labyrinth or whatever I'll be sure not to make the floors an even 100, I'll probably do 103 or 117 floors or something just to make things unpredictable :heh:
On which note you might find the following videos inspirational...

Spoiler for Videos:

Also consider that some parts might be home to analogues of Tucker's Kobolds (PDF) (which I suspect might have been part of the inspiration for Goblin Slayer).

And yes, 4th Dimsenion, good call on remembering the the saying 'an army marches on its stomach' is a saying for a very good reason...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 20:10   Link #145
SilverGlavenus

So I'm not the only one who felt empty after this episode ??

I miss the hand drawn, not cgi bosses.

But seriously, what kind of highschooler knows how to make weapons ?
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 20:31   Link #146
Look43

Oh my god! They are being attacked by bad CG!
Well, can't expect a good catharsis from this episode since the fighting scene is spoiled by the cg and the bad fight.
So yes, meh episode.
Look43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 20:35   Link #147
Wandering Soul

Pretty meh episode. It did its job serving as background noise while I was grinding in FGO though.
Old 2019-07-29, 23:08   Link #148
Frontier

I liked the Hajime and Yue kiss at least. What better way to confirm someone's faith in you by planting a warm kiss full of passion on them .

I'm still getting shady vibes with this group that brought the kids over. That the teacher had to actively step in to make sure they didn't send any kids who didn't want to go into the dungeons is a big red flag.
Old 2019-07-30, 05:25   Link #149
moridin84
Custom User Title

With the terrible CG, it was hard to take everything that happened seriously.

It's sad because I remember finding the hydra stuff rather emotional when I read the novel years ago.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 08:42   Link #150
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Teacher has a noncombat class, but her is actually an OP one since she can MASSIVELY improve fertility of fields and therefore boost the shit out of crop yeelds. Not flashy but VEEERY important for the War Effort and VEEERY rare. She is pretty much considered almost a demigodess of fertility

Which is pretty much the reason she has any say in this at all.
Aaaaand as an anime only viewer I never had any idea that the teacher is this powerful, all we saw was that her power was farming related, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post

Spoiler for Videos:

Also consider that some parts might be home to analogues of Tucker's Kobolds (PDF) (which I suspect might have been part of the inspiration for Goblin Slayer).
Thanks for the links! If ever I get isekai-ed to a world that is heavily based on D&D (like overlord) I hope I have a phone with me loaded with player handbooks and videos like these

EDIT: It's amazing how close Tucker's kobolds are to the first episode of goblin slayer, though we probably wouldn't know if the author had read that before he wrote that scene in Goblin Slayer, also if ever I became a DM I'm going to steal that one for sure.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 11:26   Link #151
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I'm still getting shady vibes with this group that brought the kids over. That the teacher had to actively step in to make sure they didn't send any kids who didn't want to go into the dungeons is a big red flag.
It's entirely possible that said group sees the kids as little more than tools, to be disposed of once their usefulness is exhausted... after all, it's not like anyone would miss them. Note that said mindset would also justify the implementation of kill switches...

Quote:
Aaaaand as an anime only viewer I never had any idea that the teacher is this powerful, all we saw was that her power was farming related, that's it.
To be fair, writers don't always do the best job of showing how important logistics are to a war effort; there may also be an assumption at play that the target audience would find that kind of thing uninteresting.

Quote:
Thanks for the links! If ever I get isekai-ed to a world that is heavily based on D&D (like overlord) I hope I have a phone with me loaded with player handbooks and videos like these :heh:
After all, knowledge (and imagination, as GS put it) are significant weapons. In this vein, I would in your position also look for Grimtooth's Traps! series (the first of which was published in 1981)

Quote:
EDIT: It's amazing how close Tucker's kobolds are to the first episode of goblin slayer, though we probably wouldn't know if the author had read that before he wrote that scene in Goblin Slayer, also if ever I became a DM I'm going to steal that one for sure.
Sort of related would be this blog, and video playlist.
Old 2019-07-30, 12:43   Link #152
4th Dimension

Quote:
That's because anime isn't telling you SHIIIT

Though maybe they are planning to show more of that later when the arc which features among others sensei comes about. Which is pretty much how this adaptation has rolled. Telling you things well after the fact.

Old 2019-07-30, 13:40   Link #153
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Anime isn't even telling that his Alchemist job is "Arifureta"
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 14:48   Link #154
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post

Spoiler for Videos:

And yes, 4th Dimsenion, good call on remembering the the saying 'an army marches on its stomach' is a saying for a very good reason...
If I was a DM, that would make me want to write a world where there's an evil consulting firm helping evil overlords spruce up their dungeons with design advice and wizard temp workers.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-30, 21:22   Link #155
ImperialFlameGod8190

If you're an anime only viewer you'd probably be wondering how this got an anime in the first place because of how stale it feels. It's one of those adaptations where the group really didn't do a great story justice and it's a shame that's the case

Im the current vice-general of the DxD Army (aka the translators army.
We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 01:37   Link #156
rladls2121

Making holes on the ceiling, throwing grenades inside those hole, the grenades stuck in it.
Does it really work in real life?
It is my first time seeing it.

Aside from the fight, I didn't know that situation the whole class is in was that bad.
Small children are inside those dungeon and this one good looking boy is saying to his classmates about going forward nonsense, it is nonsense to me at this point.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 05:35   Link #157
4th Dimension

I think the way ti went in the novel he dodged about between the shots of the monster it was firing about and placed charges on the roof. I don't think the novel goes into how he got the charges into position excatly. Then he got the monster to fire upwars and that with the detonation of his own charges collapsed the roof.

Good looking one is a fucking idiot, I'll say that much.

Old 2019-07-31, 06:25   Link #158
RDNexus

By good-looking one, you mean Kouki? It's gonna be hard for anime-only viewers to reach that conclusion, with the little time he's been getting in the series.
The story's prologue (that got severely skipped in the anime) kinda helped get to that conclusion, as far as I remember
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 07:39   Link #159
Look43

Kouki personality and development is what makes us implicitly catch the basic motivation of the beginning in this series, using his trope as a pillar.
Well, i think that till the end of the season he will be further explored.
Look43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 16:13   Link #160
Firefly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Making holes on the ceiling, throwing grenades inside those hole, the grenades stuck in it.
Does it really work in real life?
It is my first time seeing it.
That sounds like a trick the Viet Cong were fond of: they would take a discarded LAW tube or the like, add a removable cap, then fill it with grenades sans pins (the tube would be enough to keep the spoons in place), then rig it with a tripwire linked to said caps. The wire would, when triggered, pull the caps off, allowing the grenades to drop out...

Tags
action, lowbudget