AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-06, 03:03   Link #421
cloner4000

that's interesting I actually kind of want to try that...no wonder they tell you to defend the camp.

Should probably only rush scout to get EXP, if you want to level up later, otherwise it really take a lot of fun factor out of the game.

Nothing ever beat headshotting enemy on the building, or blowing the tank's radiator and clear a field of mine with your engineers than throwing your grenades at the enemy. Fun.
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 09:33   Link #422
jwai

I spent three hours playing the first Barious Desert mission, and I don't think future missions are going to be any shorter to complete

My lack of skills in mounting an attack really show in that mission, as I am often reluctant to press an attack in the face of seemingly strong resistance until I get enough numbers in the one place to do it, which takes many turns, especially when you have to fend off tanks and respawning snipers in the interim. To put it bluntly, I'm shithouse if forced to go on the offensive.

On the other hand, I got Marina on the team afterwards, and managed to reel in a whole stack of potentials. On the flipside, some potentials that get unlocked turn some otherwise OK characters into rather shocking ones.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 12:23   Link #423
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Well, I'm not a l337 scout rusher. I tend to get C or D rankings for all my missions thus far, but I don't take many risks by nature.

The tank comes through the wall around turn 2 or 3.
Normally I kill him (Tank) from the side with Largo. No scout rush, just a scout, shockie and lancer going up the right side. Takes about half of the first turn, IIRC.

I will admit that the first time I saw the tank break through the wall, I resolved to never let him scare me like that again
Old 2009-06-06, 13:21   Link #424
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
On the flipside, some potentials that get unlocked turn some otherwise OK characters into rather shocking ones.
Yea that's a fairly unfortunate thing. I think Herbert is one with a really terrible potential where he will simply refuse to do whatever he is ordered to because of his 'Moody' trait.

Early game any character can get the job done. A closer look at potentials is only needed later on in the game when possible crippling ones have been unlocked.
Old 2009-06-06, 15:56   Link #425
cloner4000

You should learn to use order to help you...you get them by leveling up. In order to get A range you really have to abuse some mechanics most of times so if you like the way you are going, you don't have to change...just know that you can save mid-mission so time should really be a issue.
Old 2009-06-08, 21:31   Link #426
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I can't complete this game for one reason, the tanks always seem to have Sniper Accracary, just a few mins ago one shot my Sniper from the opposite side of the entire map.

I get soooooo annoyed with this game.
Old 2009-06-08, 22:28   Link #427
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I just bought a PS3 and the game through amazon this morning. Can't wait to play the game hopefully this weekend.
Old 2009-06-09, 01:21   Link #428
cloner4000

ohhh...that's nice...hopefully you'll find it to be very interesting like the rest of us here.(well me at least).

Some tips

you can save midgame, don't abuse it, but don't be too put off using it at the time when its needed.

You can scroll down the research menu in R&R..you'll know what I mean when you start playing. You won't believe how many people missed that.

When you are near the edge of the building press R2 or L2 to peek around the corner, instead of running into open.

The thing with the accuracy is that it'll have a chance to hit anywhere in the circle reticle. But it'll always have chances that it'll landed right in the middle. That's so lancer and tank snipes.
Old 2009-06-09, 06:15   Link #429
jwai

Gah crap, I really need to lie down for a bit after beating Batomys.

I had to reload once because Selvaria mowed down half the team, but the next attempt, I ran everyone up to the trenches up the top of the map and put Edelweiss further down south to draw Selvaria's fire. Her squad got mowed down by Edelweiss' reaction fire, and I managed to throw Selvaria around with the mortar so that she ended up behind walls. She never managed to get LOS again while I was throwing everything including the kitchen sink at Batomys as it was creeping towards the last camp.

I'm really starting to feel the stress and anxiety of playing. Chest hurts at the moment, and my pulse goes up something major. Yeah, that's pretty damn soft as, but I've never coped well with the adrenalin and fight or flight reactions that come with stressful knife-edge situations.
Old 2009-06-09, 07:07   Link #430
Velsy

geez theres alot of posts. Will go back and continue reading them I have the time

But I want to say my peace first.

After I've just now started to watch the anime, I felt I should check this game out.

After watching some footage on youtube all I can say is I <3 turned base combat style. I <3 fallout tactics with a passion and I really enjoyed Temple of Elemntal evil but was dissapointed it was so short and was discontinued. I havent really seen any similar games since sadly :/

So when watching the footage, this Valkyria game looks like sometihng I'd enjoy. But saying this, I dont really like that each squad takes its turn. In fallout tactics you could choose between squad turn based and Individual turned based. I prefer having individual turned base because it made it feel more realer in a way. Plus you couldn't take advantaged of ganging up on targets. Fallout tactics came with both turn based and real time which was nice. Some battles looked nice in real time, others needed a more strategic method. So I switched between the two.

But in saying this, I kinda hope that Valkyria has the option between squad and individual because I'd much prefer that. It didnt look too great when the footage showed one soldier running thu the enemy lines and winning the map........so thats my only quarm. But it does look like a game I would love to play.

Is it only Psp3 ? cause that would suck, I only have a Psp2 <.<

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 07:10   Link #431
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah the game has only been released on the PS3.
Old 2009-06-09, 07:45   Link #432
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
It didnt look too great when the footage showed one soldier running thu the enemy lines and winning the map........so thats my only quarm. But it does look like a game I would love to play.
I get the impression that scout running is only really doable when you have your levels maxed out, and you know the quirks of the AI.
Old 2009-06-09, 07:58   Link #433
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
I get the impression that scout running is only really doable when you have your levels maxed out, and you know the quirks of the AI.
Clever use of orders helps more than a high level. Even with a level on par with the enemy, a scout with Caution (2cp) and Defense Up (1cp) will take one hp damage per shot when running about on the map.

Early on in the game, you can get away with not using any orders at all. In the last few missions, even as CP becomes harder and harder to come by, orders become essential.
Old 2009-06-09, 10:41   Link #434
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
This thread is going to be my saving grace this weekend.
Old 2009-06-09, 11:03   Link #435
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Clever use of orders helps more than a high level. Even with a level on par with the enemy, a scout with Caution (2cp) and Defense Up (1cp) will take one hp damage per shot when running about on the map.

Early on in the game, you can get away with not using any orders at all. In the last few missions, even as CP becomes harder and harder to come by, orders become essential.
I actually completed the game without orders on my first playthrough.

Spoiler for Last Mission:

I just totally forgot they existed since I never once used them.

Also, I never thought that some of them would be so powerful! So personally I'd say that they aren't needed until the very very end, to make things just a bit less frustrating.
Old 2009-06-09, 11:39   Link #436
Barbobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post

Spoiler for Last Mission:

Also, I never thought that some of them would be so powerful! So personally I'd say that they aren't needed until the very very end, to make things just a bit less frustrating.
Hehe. I did almost the same. I just never got into the habit of actually using orders until I started New Game+ and going for A ranking everything after getting mostly C's and D's my first time through.

Spoiler for Last Mission Again:
Barbobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 11:41   Link #437
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post

Alright, I'll rephrase: If you want to keep all of your hair, orders are essential
Old 2009-06-09, 15:38   Link #438
cloner4000

Some of the order are just overly powerful, but in hard or ex hard mode, that won't be enough..actually no order allowed in ex hard.. my Alicia with resist crossfire was still talking 20-30 hp damage from rifle shots.

Some order though I think are useful without being overpowered. I like the retreat order as it allow me to retreat slow unit without having to work them to a camp. Or restock ammunition as such.

The Batomy fight was consider one of the hardest by many, because the game didn't not really give you enough information to work with on your first try.

Also, the video of gameplay footage is probably showing scout rush..but the game is SO much more fun if you take your town and actually try to clear the enemy and defense. People don't usually post video other than scout rush or rank A tactics..which I admit is just crazy...
Old 2009-06-09, 18:30   Link #439
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Valkyria sales were up 400% in april. probably due to a price drop and the anime being released.

they cut the price in half and sold 4x as much, which basically means they sold twice as many copies.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 19:25   Link #440
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
Valkyria sales were up 400% in april. probably due to a price drop and the anime being released.

they cut the price in half and sold 4x as much, which basically means they sold twice as many copies.
Good news, as this can only help the possibilty of a sequel.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote