Old 2018-02-10, 17:29   Link #661
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Old 2018-02-10, 17:36   Link #662
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
My biggest wish for this series right now is that they don't make Goro end up resenting Hiro. So far Goro has been a straight up bro.
Hey, waitaminute.......now that I think about it, don't you think Goro reminded you of Sai Argyle from SEED? I mean, let's put the personal similarities on a list:

BFF/Bro of the MC? check
Calm, kind, laidback and more mature? check
Blond hair? check
Glasses? check
Has a pre-established bond with a female protag who is romantically involved with the MC? check
Has potential for future conflict with MC yet also has potential to remain bro in the end? check

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This...this can't be a mere coincidence .

In fact, the interaction between Hiro-02-Ichigo-Goro reminds me a bit of the early encounters between Kira-Lacus-Flay-Sai. Not really the same but it reminds me of certain parts of their interaction in SEED:

Images
FranXX
Images
SEED
Old 2018-02-10, 17:42   Link #663
Twi

... You know, despite pointing out the differences between Flay and Zero Two earlier, I didn't see that coming.

Another thing I liked was that Ichigo only resorted to pleading with Zero Two after pulling rank didn't work. It shows she tried to put her Leader personality first and then her close-friends with Hiro second, yet when both fell apart and there's nothing she could do, she broke down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
She prob had a lot of partners die on her and then her bosses telling her that the weak are going to die. She prob had no reason to be sympathetic to others. She really can't be empathic due her partners dying faster than their partners. She prob hasn't bonded to any of her partners the way she is starting to bond with Hiro.

She can prob change if Hiro survives long enough to change her.
Yeah, I think she can change. But, she not making any efforts and that's biting her in the ass. Remember, her not being human is only part of the problem. The other problem is how she treats people, so its compounding. Showing no empathy for people she may have killed while in the room with the guy who's currently her partner, after screwing with Mitsuru (whether or not he deserved it doesn't factor in), doesn't endear them to her so they won't treat her as a member of their squad. If she doesn't open up she might not be hurt, but she can't grow either. Yeah, she's probably testing the waters with Hiro for that, but right now she's really not empathetic and I don't like that side of her. I like that she's strong and confident in herself, but I do wish she could show more compassion to others.
Old 2018-02-10, 17:55   Link #664
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
that doesn't excuse a general lack of empathy.
That's a flawed way of thinking. We aren't born with empathy. We learn it from our interactions with others. If 02 has been treated as monster all this time, it's no wonder she didn't develop much in the way of empathy. The ones to blame for 02's twisted personality are the people around her and specially the adults.

Anyway, it's too early to judge 02 at this point. First we gotta see if she develops some empathy from her interactions with Hiro and the other main characters.
Old 2018-02-10, 18:02   Link #665
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

sai didn't deserve what he got

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 18:23   Link #666
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Tsuki View Post
And where do you think that lack of empathy comes from? it's not like the rest of the crew is treating her like an equal to begin with. Being called a monster gives her some very serious mood swings. Or are we forgetting the way they talked about her the past episodes. You think that would not affect a person? That's something to pay attention to.

Mitsuru deserved it, his horrible personality brought them to that. If we talk about hints, someone who till ep 5 is still bitching about why Hiro didn't react the same as he did is imho someone who doesn't deserve good treatment. Even more he is someone who needs to be paid attention to before he goes mental and kills someone in the process. I think 02 gave him the thing that he deserved there. That's not valid evidence for me to judge 02 based on that.

As for her former partner who SHE tossed aside, did you notice he called her a thing? Like Mitsuru, her former partner he was also not a person we could use as reason to tag 02 as being evil. Because he himself was a shithole.

As for Hiro and 02 looking back at ep 4. To say after all that that 02 is using him and she really has an ill nature is imho dismissing some real important things about her personality. Ichigo tried to show concern towards Hiro when talking to 02 but she also mixed her jealousy in there and 02 noticed it, Ichigo was kinda annoyingly bossy the whole time towards 02. And the monster thing killed it.

As I said, to this point a real reasonable comment what 02 really is can be hardly made.

There's a difference between someone's attitude being understandable and it being excusable. It's obvious to see where she got her callous attitude towards others, but it'still something that seems like it's going to be her character flaw and it should be treated as such. She's not exactly helping herself with her attitude either. If people don't treat her as a monster because of her origins and partner fatality rate, they certainly do due to her complete lack of empathy towards others.

Mitsuru's attitude was shitty, but I wasn't aware that the appropriate reaction to someone having a bad attitude was to leave them a broken mess that has to spend several days recovering in an infirmary. If you don't like the guy's attitude, you can take it up with his superiors.

As for Ichigo being bossy, she is the leader of team who is responsible for protecting all its members. After finding out out that 02 caused someone's death because she disregarded orders, it only makes sense that she would try to prevent the same thing from happening. Ichigo's comment about whether or not she was human had to do with 02's attitude towards others, ultimately showing that it's a cycle. The people from 02's past may have started it, but she is certainly helping it continue.
Old 2018-02-10, 18:26   Link #667
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
Sai didn't deserve what he got
Indeed. Poor guy got NTRed to the MAX but he still forgave Kira (& Flay) after everything that happened and both remained bros till the end.

Well, looks like Goro is a reincarnation of Sai in this universe. Let's see how much luck he gets this time .
Old 2018-02-10, 18:27   Link #668
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I think I just spam images here
Old 2018-02-10, 18:35   Link #669
Kazu-kun

Quote:
If people don't treat her as a monster because of her origins and partner fatality rate
Except they do. Heck, they treat her as a monster just for her horns. Hiro was the only one who wasn't afraid of her from the get go, which is part of the reason she likes him.

At this point she has no reason to change. It will take a lot more time and the other characters will have to make the first step.
Old 2018-02-10, 19:36   Link #670
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a really good episode.

Hiro is going through the opposite of what the other pilots went through. Given the color of the growth on his chest, there's little doubt he's turning into a klaxosaur. He'll probably have an easier time piloting with Zero Two the further he transforms, so the drama will switch from "Hiro might die" to "Hiro is turning into a monster".

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, but I thought it was interesting that the kids pray to/for their Papa before every meal. We knew about their devotion to him, but I didn't think they were basically taught to worship him like a God.

It seems Parasites can never hope to become adults. They're used as weapons, and are most likely disposed of once they reach a certain age, probably because only teenagers have what it takes to pilot a Franxx. I take it Zero Two's adult partner from the first episode was a special case due to aging rapidly. What about Hachi and Nana though? Because of their name, I assumed they used to be Parasites. Perhaps the best of them are kept around to groom the next generation.

A bit disappointed that Mitsuru hasn't changed, or if he has, it's for the worse. I bet he doesn't have long to live regardless of the fact he won't pilot with Zero Two anymore.

Goro has been a real bro so far and I'm really hoping he won't turn into an antagonist because of his unrequited love for Ichigo. It's too early to tell, but I'm afraid the story is heading that way. I'll praise the writers if they avoid that cliché.

Regarding Zero Two, I think her attitude is understandable given everything she must have gone through since her childhood. It's not hard to imagine what it must have been like for her.

Finally, I'm curious about what makes the main characters special enough to get custom Franxx. We'll know more once we get to see Squad 26 in action.
Old 2018-02-10, 19:43   Link #671
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

It is too soon for Hiro to die , either they gonna make him evolve or just delay his inevitable death .
Children never become adult , i think they die when they reach certain age .
kampfer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 19:52   Link #672
Roxanne
メンバー

Did anyone feel?
Spoiler for Zero two:
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 20:26   Link #673
Y Ddraig Goch
Chasing Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer91 View Post
It is too soon for Hiro to die , either they gonna make him evolve or just delay his inevitable death .
Children never become adult , i think they die when they reach certain age .
Most likely the former. Red and blue are particularly prevalent colors associated with this pair. It would be not be surprising if Hiro is being set up to be her "blue" klaux counterpart and that his body is gradually evolving to have him pilot with her in the long term.

Also, to those confused about Mitsuru's condition and the yellow blood cells mumbo jumbo, it appears that Zero Two drains the yellow blood cells of those who pilot with her. Mitsuru is no exception which is why he's sick. However, Hiro is the only exception in that he's receiving an near-overdose of YBC from her
Y Ddraig Goch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 20:42   Link #674
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Did anyone feel?
Spoiler for Zero two:
Why did I just notice this now?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 20:45   Link #675
RDNexus

And the FRANKXX instead of FRANXX
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 21:01   Link #676
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
Yeah sure, it's perfectly OK to break someone just because you hate his attitude
I didn't said that if that's your conclusion then you have misunderstood me completely. I said Mitsuru had it coming because of his attitude. That's something totally different. Firstly he acted like a douchebag towards his partner, teamates and Hiro and secondly if you pilot with 02 he would have known he wouldn't end up well. His high and mighty attitude put him into that situation. Did anyone push him to pilot 02? So putting the blame on 02 while disregarding all those things. Sorry to say this but I think that's a bit too biased.

Last edited by Sakuratsuki; 2018-02-10 at 21:25.
Sakuratsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 22:38   Link #677
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
You can't compare her to Flay. That one ruined herself the moment she decided to purposely cuck her boyfriend to have Kira fight until he dies for "atonement" at failing to save her father, on top of being a racist.
Da hell? We turning a blind eye now because 02 is the most waifu material that came out for mecha in recent memory?

No seriously, Flay was fucked up, but 02 isn't any better. I guess 02 is less racist, in the same sense that JP are wrongfully stereotyped to be less racist because they hate all other races equally. 02 just don't give a flying rats ass about anyone else other than her darling, to the point that she doesn't even remember the partner of the other plantation, nor does she show even the slightest remorse for 'killing' her partners.

Look, I'm defending the one girl who refused to get on with her childhood friend. 02 is just an 'evil' heroine as Flay was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Flay wasn't a main heroine though
She wasn't? We counting Cagallli as the main heroine when she was absent in the first part, or Lacus when she basically disappeared from the show in the middle? Flay was the devil that kept Jesus Yamato going from beginning till the end, and I suspect she was only offed because Lacus overshadowed her in popularity, being 'pure' and all, despite Lacus's minimal screentime in the original SEED.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 22:50   Link #678
Twi

I'm not turning a blind-eye to Zero Two's faults. I'm calling them out if anything. Zero Two doesn't care if its not her obligation or her darling.

But Flay was far worse. She was actively trying to push Kira into killing other coordinators until he died because her father got killed. There was nothing good about her intentions with him and she purposely torpedoed her current relationship to do it, before going back to him after they thought Kira was dead and explaining what she was doing to him. Then there was when she tried to shoot a captured soldier and violate the conduct of war.
Old 2018-02-10, 23:07   Link #679
PentingWolf

There is something really strange about this.

Mitsuru mentioned that ''Even among the double-digits, Hiro was a cut above'', and above double-digits comes one-digit, not to mention that he was called a prodigy child during trainings and it's always got the best results during trainings too, he also spends most of his time working out, training hard and practicing attacking moves with a sort of lacrosse stick in a training bot.

And now a parasite of the plantation 26 says that Hiro is famous among the other children.

I really would like to know who is he really?
PentingWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 23:35   Link #680
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
If Hiro gets the opposite effect and that is a huge ass abnormal beyond understranding spike in yellow cells... than maybe the typical reaction was "huge yellow cells absorbtion". So those pills that Mitsuru takes are pills to help ballance out or produce more of the yellow cells in his blood stream, maybe after 3rides normal person is dried out of all yellow cells and the body cant hold it and the person dies.
Which begs the question that if it's a fixable issue then why don't they just rotate. Give 02 a little harem on the side and hospital behind it and she's good to go. Right?

Quote:
The series has been pretty clear about her lack of empathy regarding others. She intentionally left Mitsuru in a broken state just to teach him a lesson, tossed aside her last partner's corpse, and has dismissed the deaths of others as being nothing to her. She probably has had her own hardships, but that doesn't excuse a general lack of empathy.
Think 02 just knows something we don't. Why is nobody pointing out how the other pilots know whats going on? And not just that, they also have a pretty clear understanding (from the whispers there) of how insignificant they are; particularly with relation to "the adults" issue. Maybe everyone there is just a clones, no childhood, straight up copy/paste. So from her perspective, even if Clone A dies, Clone A v2.0 will be out of the tubes soon enough. For all we know that corpse she threw out was the 268th body of that number. How much empathy can you really feel for someone that died several times over? I think it's not that she doesn't feel empathy, just that she's numbed to "the-lesser-people," by the logic of the governing body, dieing around her. Not saying she's not in the wrong of course.

From my perspective she's hardly the only one in this series who didn't and doesn't flinch much at what's happening, all the "adults" directing the operations are the same. She's just the one everyone is pointing the finger at, and also the one that just easily grabs attention (largely because attention is already on her).

Her attitude towards Hiiro is likely directly correlated to the fact he's different enough that he's "unique" so he warrants her empathy. Just like you may not feel anything for a bunch of ants but you can feel something if you stick a unique looking ant in there. Well, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be this cold blooded by the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That's a flawed way of thinking. We aren't born with empathy. We learn it from our interactions with others. If 02 has been treated as monster all this time, it's no wonder she didn't develop much in the way of empathy. The ones to blame for 02's twisted personality are the people around her and specially the adults.
Unfortunately they make her out to be the most assertive bitch possible, I'd say you can't have her be traumatized and assertive as heck at the same time—–-

Also another issue is that she has shown genuine "love" for Hiiro (at least on the surface; we don't know if he's not just a hamburger yet), so unless it's purely plot dictated (ie. she just has the hots for him and she's a weird alien, the end), that would exclude her personality being strictly tainted by prejudice too.