AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-10-09, 00:16   Link #3441
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
But, I think in this case (considering AGE’s goal to attract new fans), if the usual cliches could restrict the actual story (in any way), I think it’s better to leave them altogether.
The thing is, according to the above translation, it seems he wanted that familiarity that comes with being a Gundam series. Clichés are easy ways of having that familiarity. What he said about not going too crazy were in relation to other factors (whatever they may be), including merchandise.

So I'm not sure it's necessarily having to add some clichés that's holding him back. And as said, he was able to go for that balance of familiar and crazy that he wanted in the games.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 00:21   Link #3442
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
The thing is, according to the above translation, it seems he wanted that familiarity that comes with being a Gundam series. Clichés are easy ways of having that familiarity. What he said about not going too crazy were in relation to other factors (whatever they may be), including merchandise.

So I'm not sure it's necessarily having to add some clichés that's holding him back. And as said, he was able to go for that balance of familiar and crazy that he wanted in the games.
As long as it's well-executed & not restricting the story, I'm okay with cliches. It's a genre/franchise thing after all .
Old 2012-10-09, 00:22   Link #3443
monster

If anything, what can restrict the story is probably the need to sell models.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 00:26   Link #3444
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
If anything, what can restrict the story is probably the need to sell models.
Damn those merchandise rules! I wanna see "crazier" mecha designs (both Gundams & villains). Instead, we're stuck with the overly simplistic and bland EF MSs. The Vagan suits are already nice-looking (if not ground-breaking).
Old 2012-10-09, 01:58   Link #3445
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Same here .

Still, I somewhat feel sorry that Hino was kinda restricted from telling his story. I bet it’ll be more fun to see him go “crazier” with AGE than what we have now. From that interview above, I think Hino is a smart person who actually know all the flaws of AGE that he created. If I were Sunrise/Bandai, I would give him total freedom to tell his own story as long as there’s a Gundam in it. Restricting the story to follow certain tropes of previous Gundam series is really ridiculous. If their target was to create new fans, they need to give them something new and fresh (other than the 3 Gen gimmick), not the same Gundam-cliches again and again.
Highly doubt if he had more eps he would have saved this series. Dude is a terrible writer not just in Gundam but in he's own games.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 07:10   Link #3446
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Highly doubt if he had more eps he would have saved this series. Dude is a terrible writer not just in Gundam but in he's own games.
This ^

Hino was a horrible choice for anything anime related. As shown by AGE, which has horrible pacing, story and execution in general.

Not to mention the weakest main villan in all Gundam related works, hell, even Rusty from SEED would've been a better villan than Ezelcant.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 07:35   Link #3447
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
This ^

Hino was a horrible choice for anything anime related. As shown by AGE, which has horrible pacing, story and execution in general.

Not to mention the weakest main villan in all Gundam related works, hell, even Rusty from SEED would've been a better villan than Ezelcant.
Since I’ve never played his previous games (or Gundam AGE game, for that matter), I’ll just leave the matter of his real ability as a writer to you . I only posted what you quoted based only on the interview that posted by monster after all.

And yes, I'm fully aware that his writing in AGE is bad, but I heard it's partly due to a certain circumstances/pressure. Hell, even Tomino also experienced it with Victory, right?
Old 2012-10-09, 07:42   Link #3448
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Hino wanted this trainwreck to be 78 episodes

l

o

l
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 09:06   Link #3449
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Since I’ve never played his previous games (or Gundam AGE game, for that matter), I’ll just leave the matter of his real ability as a writer to you . I only posted what you quoted based only on the interview that posted by monster after all.

And yes, I'm fully aware that his writing in AGE is bad, but I heard it's partly due to a certain circumstances/pressure. Hell, even Tomino also experienced it with Victory, right?
well, rumors say he barely showed up to the meetings regarding AGE, so i dunno. Level-5 might make great games, but Hino on a anime was a bad choice, as shown with this and earlier interviews, the random encounters he mentioned in a earlier interview comes to mind aswell.
Old 2012-10-09, 09:20   Link #3450
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

And the pressure for each successive Gundam series seems to be ever mounting. If I were a leading writer in the industry and offered the job for the next Gundam series I'd turn it down at this rate, I wouldn't want that level of grief.

I still think hiatus for the Gundam franchise is the best bet right now. I don't see any sort of idea and writing staff making a lot of headway the way things are with the franchise right now. Too many bitter feelings and nigh impossible to meet expectations coursing through the current fanbase right now, plus it's hard to tell what the fans even want anymore, both in Japan and abroad. I mean yeah Unicorn is successful, but I think that owes a lot to it's working the nostalgia value, production values, being an OVA and being the big hyped up 30th anniversary project as much as anything to do with the script and content.

The thing is Sunrise/Bandai really don't need to rely much on Gundam anymore like they had in the past. Throughout the 80's and early 90's I recall they were desperately searching for a successor that could match it's popularity and sales pull (I think Brave Saga might have been the first although that was ultimately a Takara copyright), but I think they have enough very popular copyrighted franchises now that they can use those instead and let Gundam rest a while longer than usual see where trends go in the next 5 or so years and then come up with a new idea at the right time do a little better market testing as opposed to relying on one guys assurances that his idea is going to benefit them.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 11:34   Link #3451
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I still think hiatus for the Gundam franchise is the best bet right now. I don't see any sort of idea and writing staff making a lot of headway the way things are with the franchise right now. Too many bitter feelings and nigh impossible to meet expectations coursing through the current fanbase right now, plus it's hard to tell what the fans even want anymore, both in Japan and abroad.

*snip*

...let Gundam rest a while longer than usual see where trends go in the next 5 or so years and then come up with a new idea at the right time do a little better market testing as opposed to relying on one guys assurances that his idea is going to benefit them.
I also agree with the hiatus if it’s indeed necessary. I mean, If we are about to get another series right after this with no proper planning, concept, story and “spirit” (and only to sell toys), It’d be better to not have a Gundam series at all. I’d say to Sunrise/Bandai to wait until they know fully well what they’re about to do with the next Gundam series.
Old 2012-10-09, 12:56   Link #3452
Se7en Sabers

Maybe something more realistic : beam weapons being rare, expensive and highly consumable (no Trans-am, infinite autonomy, fuel, ammo, etc...) and grittier.

And why not a female protagonist for once ?

After all, there are plenty of leading females in the anime worlds who have "balls".

Well, wait 'n' see....

Spoiler for Please Bandai, next series:
Se7en Sabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 15:17   Link #3453
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sabers View Post
Maybe something more realistic : beam weapons being rare, expensive and highly consumable (no Trans-am, infinite autonomy, fuel, ammo, etc...) and grittier.

After all, there are plenty of leading females in the anime worlds who have "balls".

Well, wait 'n' see....

Spoiler for Please Bandai, next series:
Somewhat agree.

Another 08th ms team series would be nice, a AU for hardcore fans?

Beam weapons being MA's only, main character uses a Custom grunt suit (Obviously called Gundam x with a gundam head).

Real ammo, ground/air support, etc.

Have the maincharacter be between 25-30 and already be in the military, plot thickens and conspiracy, have it set in a peacetime after a long conflict (Think Turn A) with smaller battles breaking out here and there.

i don't support the female lead though, we would just get a man with boobs, and if not, odds are it would be too moe.

i miss the zaku machinegun sound
Old 2012-10-09, 18:40   Link #3454
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I was okay with the idea of a female protagonist for Gundam until I met D-KLAC. Now I'm not, purely out of spite.
Old 2012-10-09, 18:54   Link #3455
galdr

Considering recent track of Gundam, having female protagonist for the sake of having female protagonist seems a bad idea. It might even cause more backlash, fans would be screaming 'NO MOE **** in my Gundam !!' or something like that.

I would like older protagonist for the next series. We already have adult Setsuna in 00S2 and Adult Flit/Asemu in AGE. Having older protagonist(early 20s) from the start seems the next step.
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 22:30   Link #3456
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sabers View Post
This will not happen for two reasons. One is simply because it's too restrictive to the free flowing idea/experiment bases nature of the AU concept and would make it too similar to U.C. The other is because it would be really hard to right a fresh take on Gundam with a whole new cast of characters and setting in 50 episodes while having to also account for the time it takes in a script to deal with these sorts of things. U.C is fortunate it has the luxury of not having to worry too much about universe building so it can focus on things like depicting more "realistic" and tactical mobile suit combat.

Quote:
Gundam has had female protagonists before, just not as absolute main characters. It's really only AGE and to some extent Seed Destiny that have a dearth of respectable female pilots. Anyway I don't see why this is necessary or how it will change anything if they're just going to more than likely be the usual strong-headed Gundam protagonist.

Quote:
Again not really sure how this is going to change things all that much. Gundam has plenty of female characters with balls anyway....just not Age and Seed Destiny.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 21:48   Link #3457
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Wanna see Age disappear?

Brutal, no?
Old 2012-10-10, 23:03   Link #3458
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Wanna see Age disappear?

Brutal, no?
that's sad and fun at the same time, it kinda feels like laughing at a drunk.
Old 2012-10-10, 23:57   Link #3459
Se7en Sabers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
that's sad and fun at the same time, it kinda feels like laughing at a drunk.
After the low TV ratings, now it's the manga....

Well, it was to be expected
Se7en Sabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 02:09   Link #3460
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

The games also did poorly.. ±35k in it first week.. while something like Ni no Kuni (A Level 5 collaboration with Ghibli) sold 170k units in it first week, or even a Level-5 original like Danball Senki (56K).