AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-01-14, 14:55   Link #101
HEDGESMFG
Fansubber

Frankly, I completely disagree with those of you who say Turn-A should not have been a Gundam show. Was it original enough that it could have been it's own show? Yes. Can people see it and enjoy it without knowing much about the rest of Gundam? Yes. Would it have been a better show without the Gundam homages? NO!

The Gundam homages were some of my favorite moments throughout the entire series. The Turn-X's Shining Finger, THE ENTIRE EPISODE 43 DARK HISTORY SEQUENCE, Gym and Corin's references to previous Gundam history and Gundam stereotypes, the fact that we saw just as much (if not more) Zaku action in Turn-A than in MSG. Would Turn-A have been the same without Tomino's hilariously creative uses of the Kapool? No way! All of these things made the old Gundam fan in me jump around with glee. While I would have enjoyed the series immensely on it's own, these were probably the things that made the difference between it being a very good show, and one of my favorite shows...

Of course, part of that came from the fact that I had seen every other Gundam series by the time I watched Turn-A.

Some of you found the action boring? That's fair and your call, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a Gundam show. Not every Gundam show needs to be a repeat of MSG and follow the exact same formula and settings in most aspects. Even Tomino's Universal Century series each had some pretty unique differences outside of elements like the Newtypes, the Space Colonies, and the Gundam type MS themselves... and they all take place in the same timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
Again, I heartily agree. I really wish that the creators decided to have more fun with this and exploited this element to the utmost. I was rather disappointed that they decided to go to the Moon and do war stuff instead. It sort of tickles me that nobody ever cites this as a case of "lame" or "contrived" writing.
Again, this is where you and I have polar opposite views, as the last 15 episodes of Turn-A are my favorite part of the show (in addition to episodes like 8, 10, 18 and 21... I'll agree with you completely that Dianna/Kihel characterization moments were downright excellent and the show wouldn't be half as good without them). Yes, they go back to some of the old fashioned Gundam war formulas, but it's so much more 'interesting' than what some of the other series were able to pull off. The moon's society, Agrippa Maintainer, Turn-X, Turn-A's role in the Dark History and it's true power, the effects 'of' the Dark History and it's consequences, Gym Ghingnham, the ending and the final epilogue...

I guess my fate as a Gundam fanboy may have tainted my view of the show, but I ultimately love Turn-A because it's able to be different 'while' still being a Gundam series. If Gundam series must keep being made, I don't want the formula to degrade into Destiny levels of total recap/stock footage, 80% flashy battles, blatent plotholes, and plot recycling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX9900_NTlv9
And I don't like Turn A as a gundam series, because the characters are generally typical (a hero, a princess, and character traits that are not worth remembering, the characters from other series are more likeable), the only thing I like about Turn A is the story. So I'm just trying to say that not all people will like Turn A as much as you people do.
I never said that everybody has to like Turn-A either. It's a little too blunt or unusual to suit the tastes of EVERYBODY, and it probably isn't capable of reaching near mainstream popularity like a series such as Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, or Full Metal Alchemist did. I just don't think it's fair that, a few years back, everybody hated the series and avoided it like the plague when it had just as many elements to appeal to non-Gundam fans as it did Gundam fans.

Meh, enough ranting... I've probably said too much in this topic already.
HEDGESMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 22:09   Link #102
GX9900_NTlv9

Generally Turn A is a series that is different and some like it and some don't, I'm sure the people who gave it bad ratings might have watched the whole show and can't seem to like it, and they may not be wrong. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so you can't get everyone to like what you like. People who read this thread actually like Turn A and that includes me, there is no need to promote it to people who already like this show.
GX9900_NTlv9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 08:30   Link #103
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
I'd just like to point out that you can never say enough in a Turn A topic....or we should open up more threads and spread the discussion
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 23:20   Link #104
4Tran

Please do so. This forum would probably be a little more constructive if we discussed more than just Destiny and the Cosmic Era.
Old 2006-01-29, 04:11   Link #105
Morisato

So what happened at the end? Was it like 5 years later or something? I didn't understand Loran kissing Sochie then leaving? And she was in front of some giant mansion. Did the Queen and Kihel switch places permanently now? Why is Loran and the queen living together alone anyways? Are they married now, cause theres a ring on her finger?

Not sure why they left Sochie all alone by herself. What the hell was with Guin and Merrybell? Since when have they been interested in each other? Thought Guin and Lily were a couple.

Still dont get the whole Laura thing and the skirt joke.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 21:01   Link #106
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Alright Morisato...calm down and specifically ask what you want to know cause your all over the place...

Quote:
So what happened at the end? Was it like 5 years later or something? I didn't understand Loran kissing Sochie then leaving?
Not sure how many years, but it had to be a few because Sochie was a woman...Loran knew Sochie loved him at that point and was probably giving her a kiss goodbye as he made his decision to be by the Queen's side (note: Dianna looking away as if she didn't see the kiss)...Sochie throwing Loren's toy-fish into the ocean was symbolism showing she was going to wait no longer and move on...Poor Sochie ...she deserves better...

Quote:
Did the Queen and Kihel switch places permanently now?
Yes...The Queen always wanted to live that life first offered to her by Will Game...Seeing how Earthlings live she had gained a respect and wanted to experience their normalcy which became special to her...Kiel Hiem affectively became the leader Dianna no longer wanted to be and since she was in love with Harry anyways (with him choosing her aswell) that transition was easier than you might think...The Queen ofcourse came to love Loren and Loren always worshiped her from the start...

Quote:
Are they married now, cause theres a ring on her finger?
Apparently...IMHO...it seems Loren has made his duty in life to be by her side...I think he loves Sochie too, but the guy has always been loyal to her and loved her...It's like being a peasent and the next day your in the presence of royalty you respect and care for everyday...They don't seem to sleep with one another...who knows if it's a relationship like that, but thru the course of the series it's easy to see they grew to love one another (Loren always loved her and seemed to be most loyal to her despite anything else that was happening )...

Quote:
What the hell was with Guin and Merrybell? Since when have they been interested in each other?
Guin is always interested in technology and the unknown...As an experienced Mobile Suit pilot with the understanding of Moon-technology, Merrybell can help him in his future endevours...Remember she was Gym's right hand gal and he's now dead (nothing left for her on the moon prolly)...I'm sure the always imaginative and cunning Guin Lineford has plans for her...Plus it's the whole loli-grown man factor that's second to none ...

As for the Laura thing...Guin Lineford thought it would be better for press purposes to use Loren as a women (If the Moonrace was getting their a$$ beat by a girl that would double the sting)...The fact that it caused confusion that benefitted Lineford's faction made it a pretty good decision (Still don't know why he still refered to Loren as Laura even as late as the final episode, I think he had some weird fixation on the made-up character he created)...

Anything else?? I'll go into greater detail on whatever else you might want to know...
Old 2006-01-29, 21:18   Link #107
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I always viewed the relationship between Guin and Merrybell at the end of the series more as outcasts banding together.

Guin isn't respected or really welcome anywhere on Earth or Space anymore. He really has nothing going for him as all his ambitions have been crushed and future opportunities are a distant dream. For Merrybell, with Gym's death she has nowhere left to go and no one to associate with. After Gym's coup on the moon she'd not really be welcome amoung them and the Earth people wouldn't be wanting here around after unleashing the Moonlight Butterfly on them.

With neither having any remaining connections to other people except for each other, the two of them travelling together just seemed natural to me. >.>
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 21:32   Link #108
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Guin is a very talented individual...He is quite cunning and is willing to sacrifice alot to see his romanticised visions come to fruition...What takes place in this story that would suggest that Guin would ever totally give up on his dreams?? He may be on a venture that provides much soul-searching, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he had some contingencies for the future...A man like that doesn't tend to just walk away without a second glance...Are you really sure if he showed up on Lily Borjano's doorstep he couldn't wiggle his way back into her good graces?? He's extremely clever (a poor-man's Dully) and IMO a good person who succame to the ilks of his passions...I think it's easy to believe he regrets his actions in that final arc (How he went about it, not that he didn't believe in what he was doing)...

The rest of what you say is prolly true though...They really just have each other right now...
Old 2006-01-29, 21:47   Link #109
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I'm not saying he's given up on his on his dreams and ambitions, just that, for the time being, there are no opportunities before him. It's more like he's laying low and letting the dust settle.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 21:50   Link #110
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
He really has nothing going for him as all his ambitions have been crushed and future opportunities are a distant dream.
That seems to suggest it's over for him...Sometimes you have to create your own oppurtunities...

Do you not think he was a good person?
Old 2006-01-29, 22:33   Link #111
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Well, Guin is sailing off to distant lands. I remember back in the first few episodes, when the Inglessa militia got totally wasted by the Dianna Counter and Nocis got blew up pretty back, he was able to take a step back, rebuild, forge an alliance with Lousianna, and cleverly regain momentum.

He's a smart guy. I can see him coming back in whereever he's going to next.
I mean, whatever he did wasn't really that publicized. He's only known on the Ameria continent anyway, so if he just go somewhere, where no one knows him, I'm sure he can pull something off.
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 11:22   Link #112
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

I'd certainly think there are other countries for Guin to start anew. I mean, Ameria can't be the only place where humans survived the first cataclysm the Turn A unleashed long ago.

Speaking of which, one thing I've always wanted to see expanded upon was the state of the rest of the Earth in Turn A. I've often wondered how the other parts of the globe had turned out after its decimation by the Moonlight Butterfly. There didn't seem to be any mention of other known populated areas beyond the ones in the Ameria(n?) continent, which I find odd since the Amerians' tech level looks to be enough for them to make trips across the oceans. I would have been satisfied with a throwaway line referring to Asia, Europe, or Africa (or whatever the heck those continents wound up being called at that time).
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 11:39   Link #113
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Actually I do think they refer to Europe a few times in the beginning. Also beside North America they do travel to South America when they are trying to get into space. Pretty much where a mass driver into space would be located. Still actually seeing other parts of the world would have been interesting.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 17:42   Link #114
Blaat

In the beginning invasion from a European country was used as an excuse to mobilize the Inglessian army against the moon people. I think it was called Gaul or Gallia/Garia: a reference to Gaul from the Roman era which is basicly modern day France, Belgium and Switzerland with parts of Netherlands and Germany.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 08:21   Link #115
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Is it me or does anyone think Corin was the original pilot of the Turn-X?
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 09:03   Link #116
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety
Is it me or does anyone think Corin was the original pilot of the Turn-X?

It would be nice if you gave your reasons for believing this...
Old 2006-02-26, 09:15   Link #117
Strike Mk.II

At most its suggested that Corin was present at the time Turn-A/Turn-X was deployed, then afterwards was put in stasis. I dont think there's anything to suggest that Corin was actually Turn-X's pilot. Maybe we can assume that whoever piloted Turn-X was killed in action against Turn-A. Turn-X does have that scar to show that it got the worst from there fight back before Turn-X and Turn-A were buried.

Last edited by Strike Mk.II; 2006-02-26 at 20:16.
Strike Mk.II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 15:56   Link #118
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Well they did mention Corin has been around for a longtime, thousands of years. But he still instantly recognized the Moonlight Moth and holds a incredible grudge against the Turn-A Gundam, most recognize Turn-A but don't recognize the Moonlight Moth itself, even for moonrace it took them a while to realize what was going on. Turn-X itself lost the final battle vs Turn-A but somehow still survived and was part of whatever was the space army, possibly moonrace.

I do believe the pilots weren't killed initially since Turn-A still was able went on its rampage, Turn X received its damage in the chest but the cockpit was in the head, perhaps after the final battle he lost his marbles, it would be pretty traumatic if you were pilotting the last saviour of the human race but lost.

Then again Corin is the most inconsistent but awesome character in the series.
Old 2006-02-26, 16:36   Link #119
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety
Then again Corin is the most inconsistent but awesome character in the series.
As I say, you're never awsome until you wear a spandex suit with an arrow pointing to your pecker.
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 16:41   Link #120
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Don't forget rocket punching enemies in between their legs.