AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-02-07, 15:12   Link #441
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Not sure, but I think they cut something there at the end. Not to mention completely cutting the nutcase grandfather.
Spoiler:

And before any renewed statements about how Rudy "hasn't grown", character growth isn't that fast really, and in a story where a big point is said character's growth, I'd say it makes sense for any growth to come very slowly, not the sort of near-instant epiphanies we see in stories where the growth is a necessary step in attaining a goal.

I am hoping that he'll eventually get over looking at girls in gaming terms like "raising affection" and "flags" and "dere". It makes sense since he'd spent longer only associating with fictional girls that work according to those standards than he's been alive in this new world, but still I hope he'll improve soon.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 15:14   Link #442
GDB

I suspect that'll be in the next episode, along with the grandfather.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 15:48   Link #443
Frontier

This "Jobless Reincarnation" has finally landed its protagonist an actual job .

I'm guessing Paul was not expecting that letter to get read right in-front of Ghislaine, who he basically insults by calling her nothing but a musclehead woman (not that there's anything wrong with a woman with some great muscles, as Ghislaine shows off so well), and confessing Ghislaine was one of his "conquests," not that she's proud of it. Yeah, I can't wait until Zenith reads that letter .

Saying the noble girl is okay but to lay off his former woman? Yeah, that sounds like advice Paul would give .

I guess it is probably good for both Rudy and Sylphie to learn to stand on their own without each other, but being separated for so long with no warning is probably going to be tough .

So Paul shipped Rudy off to his cousin, apparently, although his cousin doesn't seem to have a high opinion of Paul. Hard not to understand why .

Now we meet Eris, a fiery, haughty, loud, and redheaded tsundere girl who's fists are as strong as her bite. It's a classic archetype, but one that can be very effective in its use. I love how she just slaps Rudy hard, he softly slaps her back, and then she just beats the snot out of him. I can only imagine how terrifying this girl will be when Rudy teaches her how much she's capable of .

So the plan to get Rudy into Eris' good graces goes wrong when the fake kidnapping turns into a real kidnapping, and that beatdown Eris got should've been the first clue, but it did lead to Eris feeling vulnerable enough to listen to Rudy and start to get the pair bonding and working together .

Rudy may be adept with magic for his age, but that doesn't mean he's ready for a real life combat situation against a battle-ready warrior. He did his best, but luckily Ghislaine was there to finish things in a spectacular way .

I know Rudy wasn't going to just write off Eris just so he could get the money he needs for him and Sylphie...I mean, beyond the obvious morality issue, an Otaku like him knows how rewarding it is when you finally see the Dere side of a tsundere .

Rudy sees his first dead body and ruminates on his own mortality, but at least it seems like he's settling into his role as Eris' tutor, down to getting on a first-name basis with the girl .
Old 2021-02-07, 16:22   Link #444
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I think cutting the nutcase grandfather was a good move there. It felt quite outlandish and just made for an easy gag. The grandfather role can be merged to an extent with the father's and nothing of worth is lost.

Eris still mentioned him so he'll probably make an appearance, but hopefully he'll be toned down.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 16:24   Link #445
GDB

Nothing wrong with keeping the grandfather in the next episode and a few scenes later on. He just didn't need the focus he got at this point in the manga because, as you said, it was just an outlandish and easy gag that didn't benefit the narrative at all at the time.

Plus, this episode felt a little rushed as it was compared to prior episodes, so unnecessary moments like that needed to be cut.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 17:33   Link #446
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Given the kind of man Paul was/is, it's not surprising that Ghislaine is one of the asses that Paul has tapped in the past. But the fact that he still want to tap it now (aka. continue to cheat on his wife) just made his character sunk even lower in my eyes.

That said, I'm glad that a violent entitled tsundere gets the beating that she deserves to feel what she has done to others. I really hope she learns from it. Also, since the tsundere is practically Rudy's cousin, I really hope the plot won't make her one of his harem, but who am I kidding here? This is a novel/anime for otakus after all.

Nothing else important to say other than great animation once again. Rudy's fighting style reminds me of the alchemists from FMA minus the equivalent exchange.
Old 2021-02-07, 17:44   Link #447
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Also, since the tsundere is practically Rudy's cousin, I really hope the plot won't make her one of his harem, but who am I kidding here? This is a novel/anime for otakus after all.
They're second cousins, which is deemed legal to marry in most countries even today. I guess you'd consider practically every village until the early 1900s to be an incest heap?
Old 2021-02-07, 17:56   Link #448
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Seriously, shouldn't make an issue of them being cousins. For one thing, they don't seem to be first cousins, and even second cousins have very little to no risk at all, unless their family has a history of cousin marriage or something. On top of that, cousin marriage is still legal in Japan, and most of America as well, and really I've only seen maybe two or three series total where that relation had any impact on the characters' romantic interest. In fact, I've only seen it mentioned as an issue in one series. Overall, I'd say it's just something that a very large portion of the population continues to see as a non-issue.
Old 2021-02-07, 18:07   Link #449
Frontier

Why am I suddenly thinking of Suguha from SAO ?
Quote:
Given the kind of man Paul was/is, it's not surprising that Ghislaine is one of the asses that Paul has tapped in the past. But the fact that he still want to tap it now (aka. continue to cheat on his wife) just made his character sunk even lower in my eyes.
He didn't explicitly say he wanted at Ghislaine again like he did with Lilia (not that I would be surprised if he did), just that he doesn't want Rudy going after one of his former conquests. But Eris is open season .
Quote:
That said, I'm glad that a violent entitled tsundere gets the beating that she deserves to feel what she has done to others. I really hope she learns from it. Also, since the tsundere is practically Rudy's cousin, I really hope the plot won't make her one of his harem, but who am I kidding here? This is a novel/anime for otakus after all.
I think Eris needed to be knocked down a peg and learn that it's not right to attack people like she attacked Rudy...but I don't think she deserved getting beaten to that extent during a very real kidnapping .
Old 2021-02-07, 18:09   Link #450
Tenzen12

Quote:

She's not even 10, dude. She deserve to get her ass spanked and be sent to her room without sweets not getting broken ribs and have teeth knocked out of her mouth. Also they are practically unrelated.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2021-02-07 at 18:22.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 18:13   Link #451
maximilianjenus
[E]

i think they are third cousins as in Paul's father is the cousin of eris grandfather.
seeing all that people calling rudy an op mc first and we have witnessed him getting beaten by paul and now some random bandits, plus its obvious ghyslaine is stronger.
that battle animation was pretty cool particularly ghis sword technique. i avoided the sword style explanation that was skipper from the novel and it was correct that they did it that way so they could do the explanations more naturally instead of info dumping, i like that.
and eris ground and pound was great i am happy the mad dog is finally here.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 20:08   Link #452
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hah, look at my comment attracting many attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
They're second cousins, which is deemed legal to marry in most countries even today. I guess you'd consider practically every village until the early 1900s to be an incest heap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Seriously, shouldn't make an issue of them being cousins. For one thing, they don't seem to be first cousins, and even second cousins have very little to no risk at all, unless their family has a history of cousin marriage or something. On top of that, cousin marriage is still legal in Japan, and most of America as well, and really I've only seen maybe two or three series total where that relation had any impact on the characters' romantic interest. In fact, I've only seen it mentioned as an issue in one series. Overall, I'd say it's just something that a very large portion of the population continues to see as a non-issue.
First, I never said "incest" in my comment. Second, why did you suddenly jumped straight to talking about cousin marriage? Jeez....

If you like cousin marriage that much, no one is stopping you. As for me, I don't like it. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Why am I suddenly thinking of Suguha from SAO ?
Exactly.

Quote:
He didn't explicitly say he wanted at Ghislaine again like he did with Lilia (not that I would be surprised if he did), just that he doesn't want Rudy going after one of his former conquests. But Eris is open season .
The implication of his letter is right there. Paul still wants to bang her, Zenith be damned.

Quote:
I think Eris needed to be knocked down a peg and learn that it's not right to attack people like she attacked Rudy...but I don't think she deserved getting beaten to that extent during a very real kidnapping .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
She's not even 10, dude. She deserve to get her ass spanked and be sent to her room without sweets not getting broken ribs and have teeth knocked out of her mouth. Also they are practically unrelated.
The world is not perfect. If getting roughed up (then healed later) is what it takes to make her into a better person then I'll take it.

Rudy said it himself (and her dad acknowledged) that she's not the type to learn her lesson from just spanking.
Old 2021-02-07, 20:23   Link #453
Frontier

Quote:
The implication of his letter is right there. Paul still wants to bang her, Zenith be damned.
I guess he doesn't want his son to get a taste before he gets a second chance ?
Quote:
The world is not perfect. If getting roughed up (then healed later) is what it takes to make her into a better person then I'll take it.

Rudy said it himself (and her dad acknowledged) that she's not the type to learn her lesson from just spanking.
I don't think the beating really taught her anything, moreso Rudy having to help her because she couldn't get out of that situation on her own. I mean, that was the plan to begin with without the unnecessary beating.

Again, for all her issues, she did not deserve to get beat to that extent by the person genuinely kidnapping her.
Old 2021-02-07, 20:46   Link #454
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Pretty much. As expected of a scummy dad.

Quote:
I don't think the beating really taught her anything, moreso Rudy having to help her because she couldn't get out of that situation on her own. I mean, that was the plan to begin with without the unnecessary beating.

Again, for all her issues, she did not deserve to get beat to that extent by the person genuinely kidnapping her.
If the redhead still doesn't learn anything even after this event, then she probably deserve a harsher treatment.
Old 2021-02-07, 21:01   Link #455
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:

Given the entire letter, and looking at Eris character, it's more likely Rudy will be the one who is "fair game".

That being said, never seen a tsundere THAT violent before. I just wish Rudy had made a comment about that.

Not sure why he needed Gislaine to save him though. All that was necessary was a shield... But maybe earth magic doesn't work in the air.
He could have also just used wind to push the sword away. It's not magic, it's just a sword style.

And yeah... Even Paul's cousin seems to be wary of a child of Paul's near his daughter

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 21:29   Link #456
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
First, I never said "incest" in my comment. Second, why did you suddenly jumped straight to talking about cousin marriage? Jeez....

If you like cousin marriage that much, no one is stopping you. As for me, I don't like it. That's it.
I never said I like or dislike it, just that it's not something to make that big of a deal about, and just about never made a big deal in any Japanese fiction I've seen. I've seen a total of one case where a girl gave up on love on account of finding out she was a guy's cousin, and that's it. And this includes far more than your standard otaku wish fulfillment "trash", it doesn't matter how niche or mainstream it is or what the demographic is, it's not treated as a big deal. And that's first cousins, distant relatives like Rudy and Eris aren't an issue period; there's seriously no point in having an issue that you can find a common ancestor many steps back (they're not even second cousins, the father said he and Paul were "something approaching cousins"). And yes, I went to marriage, because looking at laws and opinions on marriage can give a fair image of the opinion on romance in general.

As for the beating, similarly, like you, I don't really mind. I didn't relish it or anything, but it was an effective way to get the job done. And honestly, I'm not sure spankings would have worked for those that suggested that. A spanking would teach her that her parent didn't like what she did. This beating taught her the concept of powerlessness, how it really feels to be at someone else's mercy and that the world does not actually revolve around her. For a girl who casually throws out anyone who displeases her, violently attacks without a second thought, and honestly believes that she has no need to be strong or smart or knowledgeable because she can have her servants all handle that troublesome stuff for her, the experience of having someone even her companion couldn't easily stop and suffering for it, as well that of being forced to rely on someone who had zero obligation to help her, was a very good lesson that taught her far more than a few slaps on the butt ever could. At the same time, it also served the obvious purpose of creating a surprising crisis, giving Eris a reason to develop an interest in Rudy, and even teaching Rudy a few things about the danger he's in and actually earning a girl's affections.
Old 2021-02-07, 21:39   Link #457
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
I never said I like or dislike it, just that it's not something to make that big of a deal about, and just about never made a big deal in any Japanese fiction I've seen. I've seen a total of one case where a girl gave up on love on account of finding out she was a guy's cousin, and that's it. And this includes far more than your standard otaku wish fulfillment "trash", it doesn't matter how niche or mainstream it is or what the demographic is, it's not treated as a big deal. And that's first cousins, distant relatives like Rudy and Eris aren't an issue period; there's seriously no point in having an issue that you can find a common ancestor many steps back (they're not even second cousins, the father said he and Paul were "something approaching cousins"). And yes, I went to marriage, because looking at laws and opinions on marriage can give a fair image of the opinion on romance in general.
They have the same surname, so they are certainly related. (Because Greyrat is apparently the name of a noble family).
We'd actually need to see the full family tree to know, but it looks like 3rd or 4th degree. It's still cousins, but in the range where, since you already brought up marriage, no one might notice until the actual ceremony, or even years after.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 21:42   Link #458
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Sure, there are solid stories out there that involve cousin romance or even incest. But my criticism in my previous post is more directed to otaku-centric media in general where characters like "pretty cousin" or "playful little sister" or "doting big sister" (or even "sexy mother" in some cases) are most often written into the story as love interests to "complete the harem collection" as fap materials rather than to improve the story.

Of course, I'm not judging MT for that yet. Just expecting the worst but hoping for the best.
Old 2021-02-07, 21:46   Link #459
Blueknight78

wow it's seens some peoples are not good with "jokes" as frontier told paul was just joking about Ghislaine in the same way he told to rudy "which now is "fine" to bang lilian, while his father was a womanizar in the past and somehow "is not that strong" about womans advance on him his current self is really trying his "best" to not be like his past self, but this don't means which he will not "play around with it doing some jokes, but he is really not interested in her at last in romance or desperated to bang her, as it can look, he just messing around in the letter, this is why he keep calling her muscle brains.

one thing which got me surprise was the fact which the father and all "adults" here did nothing than watch when his daughter was beating rudy, they where acting like it's nothing, :confu sed:, i means yeah unless you are some sort of "sadist cruel person see a kid beating another kid for no good reason and doing nothing "really is something adult to do", if she didn't stop??? and he started to really get serious hurt????, ok rudy is pretty strong and sturdy for his age but still be throwing to sofa or was wall?? don't recall now and she start to punch him in the face and everyone just "watching as if is normal"??? , this is really why no one wanted that job since the peoples here allows the girl to do whatever she wants with a guest without giving a shit to the guest???

well rudy is reall y improving while his "otaku behaivous still there with the "dere", he is reallt improving and showing which he indeed want to be a new person which can do whatever he could not do in his previous life and also be a better person which others can relie on him.

his plans backfire since the "servent" really wanted to kidnap the girl and used rudy plans for that.

but in the end everything was fine and that girl got some punishment to leanr to better behaviour with peoples and not go beating peoples like that just because she thinks "she can" and her family somehow "allow here to do it".

i really like how rudy is really improving and show which peoples when they really want they can change for better.
Old 2021-02-07, 21:50   Link #460
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
They have the same surname, so they are certainly related. (Because Greyrat is apparently the name of a noble family).
We'd actually need to see the full family tree to know, but it looks like 3rd or 4th degree. It's still cousins, but in the range where, since you already brought up marriage, no one might notice until the actual ceremony, or even years after.
I didn't say they weren't related, just that they were distant relatives. Being part of the same extended noble family (and thus having the same noble name) doesn't exclude this, and having parents that are "something like cousins" (meaning either actual cousins or maybe second cousins or something) makes them at closest second cousins, which again is basically a non-issue.

And Obelisk, while I think I understand your complaint, I can't say that Eris fits that bill at all. I've seen plenty of those sorts of cousins and little/big sister types, and they have nothing in common with Eris aside from their being relatives to some degree, whether legally or biologically. She does kind of fit the tsundere archetype for now, but even there she's done well enough to stand well as her own character.

Tags
drama, isekai