AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 74 39.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 26.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 13.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 4.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 2.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.66%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-26, 03:46   Link #161
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Mindfuck eh? and Yandere Yuki Nagato?! I gotta see this in subs rather than raws.
Old 2009-06-26, 03:59   Link #162
Arrnea
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Mindfuck eh? and Yandere Yuki Nagato?! I gotta see this in subs rather than raws.
The mindfuck was in the episode, but more so for people who have read the novels.
i.e: novel readers now have NO idea what is going to happen in the next episode.

The Yandere Yuki was just a random idea that came up in the comparisons of this episode to Higurashi.
Old 2009-06-26, 04:36   Link #163
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
What mindfuck? There really wasn't anything mindfuck about this episode. Mindfuck is when you can't really be sure of what you are experiencing, this episode was pretty obvious about what has been going on and outright takes the time to have the cast sit around and talk about it and what to do about it.
Old 2009-06-26, 04:39   Link #164
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What mindfuck? There really wasn't anything mindfuck about this episode. Mindfuck is when you can't really be sure of what you are experiencing, this episode was pretty obvious about what has been going on and outright takes the time to have the cast sit around and talk about it and what to do about it.
"Mindfuck" as in "Strange imagery and a general sense of oddness, usually something rather like Evangelion."

But I agree with you, this episode was more "dark" than "mindfuck".
Old 2009-06-26, 05:55   Link #165
kniteowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
It's not going to BE a three-parter.

I guarantee you that the other 11 episodes are ALL going to be Endless Eight.

It's the neverend of the fucking world.
Fixed...

So it's out in the open now right? Nagato is no longer 3 years old but 597 years old (3 +594) if we assume nagato was created/born 3 years ago. I'm sticking with Nagato is 597 years old because she's gained 594 years worth of memories that the others lost.

Nagato's Impression?

Bored? Probably

but to me, she seems more relieved then anything lol.

I know at least one thing that will be in the next episode that wasn't in this one, it was skiped during the Park scene, I reckon its realtively important.
Old 2009-06-26, 06:01   Link #166
Coruja

I quite liked this episode!

I don't know... The next time will Kyon remember right away that they are in a time loop? If so, they could make a plan right at the beginning of the holidays and the episode would be totally different.

I am intrigued.
Old 2009-06-26, 06:51   Link #167
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
What I did like though was how different a tone this episode struck from the previous one, despite containing mostly similar events. You'll note that while last episode the music was constant and mostly upbeat, this episode had almost no music except for that one sombre piano piece, thus creating a much less upbeat tone and one that seemed to hint at the worries of the cast over an endless summer. I also liked the use of the colourless background at the end as if to symbolize the idea that Kyon sees his currently reality as devoid of meaning and hence colour. Very surprising to see something like this from Kyoani who is usually all flash and flare so yeah I will give them a little kudos for actually showing some subtlety for a change and realizing that sometimes less is more when it comes to animation techniques, albeit a little late to save my eyes from the crazy high contrast that was the rest of this episode. Ah well, can't complain to much as the consistently well used music and the plot progression (however slow) more than make the episode at the end of the day.
The BGM is one of the things I've always enjoyed about SHnY since the beginning. And I noticed the lack of music in this episode almost immediately. It really ramped up the sense of 'something is wrong' in the episode. That and the cranked up contrast really set the mood. Plus the fact that they didn't end the story arc at the end of the episode like many people expected was the icing on the cake.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this episode. And reading the reactions here were a great bonus (not to mention the screwing up all the projected S2 episode lists). This is going down as one of my highest rated Haruhi episodes. Ever.
Old 2009-06-26, 06:56   Link #168
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Watch the Mazui subs last night with a friend of mine. I was very pleased. I should have given the first Endless Eight a lower rating, because the art did skyrocket in this episode. I would also consider this a mindfuck, since the dramatic irony is rampant right away from the beginning of the episode.

(For those who don't know what dramatic irony is, it is when the audience is aware of what is happening, but the characters are not. It's great, used very often.)

I gave this a 9/10, mainly because it could have been resolved, but the fact that they're stretching it out makes it seem so surreal, and improved my rating for it.

Also, if you look on a.f.k.'s website, it says that Endless Eight subs will be released on September 1st.

*edit*

There is BGM in the very first scene with Kyon on the couch. It was this creepy ambient tone. I have an ear for that kind of stuff, it gave me the chills.

Last edited by Dakota; 2009-06-26 at 06:58. Reason: OH WAIT BGM
Old 2009-06-26, 07:01   Link #169
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Also, if you look on a.f.k.'s website, it says that Endless Eight subs will be released on September 1st.
The only thing better would be to SKIP the conclusion to this arc, jump right into Sighs next episode, and release Endless Eight III on DVD on September 1st 2009. Or air it on the last week of August.

People would RAGE.
Old 2009-06-26, 07:11   Link #170
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
The only thing better would be to SKIP the conclusion to this arc, jump right into Sighs next episode, and release Endless Eight III on DVD on September 1st 2009. Or air it on the last week of August.

People would RAGE.
KyoAni would. They so would. Remember season one you gaiz??
Old 2009-06-26, 07:39   Link #171
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
You know... Humans always say, "It's better to regret something you did than to regret something you didn't do."

If there were a situation where maintaining the status quo would only make things worse but nobody knew what course of action would improve circumstances. Wouldn't you think that change, any change at all, would be best for now?

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.

A lack of action would only allow the situation to grow worse.

In that case, it should be okay for me to use my own judgement to assert changes, right?

I've grown quite tired of observing a static subject.

That's why...
Jaw drops...

I suddenly have new empathy for Ryoko's plight.

And that disturbs me.
Old 2009-06-26, 07:47   Link #172
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Considering I took a paragraph out to say how well I think the music has been used and how I liked the use of colourness in the final scene I would indeed say that I can be pleased.
Don't worry, I understood that underneath the surface grumping that you were well pleased.

I quite enjoy your reviews- as I just think of you as that cranky old man who has high standards and so is always critical and never says anything nice- but underneath that cranky old man is a secret heart of gold with a soft spot for kittens, puppies, and cute girls doing cute things.
Old 2009-06-26, 07:48   Link #173
nekkotakka
Cat with Talons

I started this ep w/o any expectations (result of the crappy BLR and E8p1 eps) Didn't expect any of this; the mood was potrayed nicely (monotony,emptiness,etc)

Personal speculation: This episode could have stood alone without E8p1 so i was thinking if this was animated for the July 07 airing. That woul explain disparencies in the quality of animation and storyboarding of this and the other 2 eps.
Old 2009-06-26, 07:55   Link #174
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I know everyone's busy talking about the plot and what's going to happen.

But is it just me who noticed the extra focus on boobs this episode? Some scenes just obviously zoom up to Haruhi/Mikuru's boobs and see them bounce or squeeze.

< : \....is that part of the "plan" too?
Old 2009-06-26, 07:56   Link #175
Keio
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post

But is it just me who noticed the extra focus on boobs this episode? Some scenes just obviously zoom up to Haruhi/Mikuru's boobs and see them bounce or squeeze.

Working as intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Don't worry, I understood that underneath the surface grumping that you were well pleased.

I quite enjoy your reviews- as I just think of you as that cranky old man who has high standards and so is always critical and never says anything nice- but underneath that cranky old man is a secret heart of gold with a soft spot for kittens, puppies, and cute girls doing cute things.
Funniest comment I've ever read.
Old 2009-06-26, 08:06   Link #176
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post

Kyoani realized that they couldn't just keep up their idiosyncratic trolling without giving the fans something. Thus the obligatory Haruhi ass shot was given some Haruhi boob shots, and then they remembered that Mikuru was the ZOMG boobz! so they gave her a boob shot.
Old 2009-06-26, 08:08   Link #177
Keio
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Kyoani realized that they couldn't just keep up their idiosyncratic trolling without giving the fans something. Thus the obligatory Haruhi ass shot was given some Haruhi boob shots, and then they remembered that Mikuru was the ZOMG boobz! so they gave her a boob shot.
I've noticed in the new episodes that Haruhi "caught up" with Mikuru's size. I thought she was pissed at Mikuru's boobs since they were bigger than hers. What gives?
Old 2009-06-26, 08:11   Link #178
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Lol, I mean plan as in, I thought it'd be actually part of the Suzumiya Haruhi plotline.

Since everything is done for a reason in this series.

I thought maybe an increase in boobs shots have something to do with the plot too, guess I was thinking too much...

But the Haruhi squeezing her chest against Kyon's back was just whoa, obvious boob-squeezing is obvious.

And when Haruhi smiles and says "I'll give you permission to wear this anytime you want" to Mikuru, we see Kyon's facial expression go :O. Is this him having a Deja Vu, or him dazzled by Haruhi's smile?
Old 2009-06-26, 08:13   Link #179
typhonsentra

Two ideas for how the next episode could go:

1.) A long "What If?" cycle where we see how things would go down if.... Kyon bought the mask for Nagato instead of her buying it herself, Koizumi hugging Haruhi, Mikuru going Yandere.

2.) The story moving away from Kyon's perspective ala "Someday in the Rain". It'd be interesting to see a story told from Haruhi's perspective.
Old 2009-06-26, 08:14   Link #180
stubby42

So I guess it has to be asked, how many times have they realised their trapped in a time loop and been unable to do anything about it?

As for my impression of the episode I really enjoyed it, though I ended up feeling sorry for Mikuru she hasnt had much luck with time traveling lately.
Closed Thread