AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-08-09, 14:24   Link #621
Sumeragi
Banned

Happily ever after: What happens to the medals when the Games are over?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 14:28   Link #622
Kyuu
=^^=

Yup. Once you lose it... forget it. Tough luck.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 16:09   Link #623
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I can't help but chuckle a bit that Canada managed to beat France for the bronze today. So improbable and the first team sport medal in 35 years at the summer games. Huge salve for a nation still steaming over getting hopped out of a gold medal match.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 16:20   Link #624
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Our women's teams in team sports have been doing GREAT. Men's teams in team sports... not so much (except for basketball).

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 16:21   Link #625
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

With so much recent success, i guess female 'soccer' will start gaining more spotlight in the States

Most will just in deny that there's no men soccer through
Old 2012-08-09, 18:06   Link #626
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
With so much recent success, i guess female 'soccer' will start gaining more spotlight in the States
We already have 2 World Cups and multiple Gold medals. It just happens: these past 2 years - last year's World Cup and this year's Olympics. Both featured some... crazy ass games.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 19:12   Link #627
Haladflire65
*Artist

Oh, it's going to get so stressful with two Korea vs. Japan matches for bronze (men's soccer and women's volleyball)... I'm going to be so pissed if Korea loses... as you probably know, Koreans hate losing to Japan. I hope that gives us an emotional advantage, lol. I suppose I'll just listen for the screaming at 3 AM in our apartment buliding tonight (signal that we won)
Old 2012-08-09, 19:17   Link #628
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Our women's teams in team sports have been doing GREAT. Men's teams in team sports... not so much (except for basketball).
Your women's sports teams are very impressive, the US has obviously invested a lot in trying to have competitive women teams in all major team sports. I guess the sports orgs figure if there's too much parity in men's to realistically compete every Olympics why not make up for it in other areas since the rest of the world doesn't seem to put a lot of resources behind their women's team. Really the only women's team sports I can think of where the US isn't the automatic favorite are curling and Ice Hockey, the former of which I'm sure Americans would rather not talk about and the latter where they would be were it not for the brick wall that is Team Canada.
Old 2012-08-09, 19:46   Link #629
Athena
The Power of One

Hmm...team Canada victory in soccer..time a team Canada soccer team won was long, long ago.
Old 2012-08-09, 20:07   Link #630
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Hmm...team Canada victory in soccer..time a team Canada soccer team won was long, long ago.
If we only count summer Olympic. Winter olympic are another story
Old 2012-08-09, 22:10   Link #631
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

So apparently Hope Solo finally conceded that Christine Sinclair is in fact a pretty good footballer.

No word on whether she plans on apologizing to her defenders though.
Old 2012-08-09, 22:13   Link #632
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I have to admit, when Japan won last year, I thought it was a fluke. Never really followed them, and didn't follow them much since. But, I think these olympics showed that they're pretty legit.

Is soccer (or even just girls soccer) really a thing in Japan?

In fact, while we did win the gold, I think the Japanese women controlled the field for most of the game, and I suspect they'd beat our American girls 3/5 in a series.

Hats off to them.

Edit: Just read about the state of female Japanese soccer in Japan in the NY Times, and assuming it's accurate, I'm now incredibly impressed with their team. Can't wait to see them in the World Cup.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-08-09 at 22:23.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 00:40   Link #633
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
And so... USA vs Sexy Korean Waifus... which to choose?!

===

EDIT: Equestrian (Dressage) ... aka... Horse Dancing. Why the hell is THIS an Olympic event?! Makes me want to cut my eyes out...
The Korean team is indeed quite full of tall, lanky, amazing cuteness.

I've been also struck by the sheer quantity of cuteness in the women's diving - some very amazing architecture and cute out there from a number of countries.

I don't know why horsies are there.... nor do I know why we have BMX or *basketball* ... hell, more countries play *baseball* and it isn't there.
But the answer, as always, is follow the tainted money...
Old 2012-08-10, 01:12   Link #634
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

some of the images cropping up from the games are hilarious and cringe worthy
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 05:46   Link #635
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I don't know why horsies are there.... nor do I know why we have BMX or *basketball* ... hell, more countries play *baseball* and it isn't there.
If it's true than they looked for the possibility to include Bridge into the Winter Olympic ...
Old 2012-08-10, 06:09   Link #636
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
The Korean team is indeed quite full of tall, lanky, amazing cuteness.

I've been also struck by the sheer quantity of cuteness in the women's diving - some very amazing architecture and cute out there from a number of countries.

Baseball requires more and larger venues and basketball is still pretty popular, especially across Europe. Baseball may be more popular with the average world citizen, but I'd venture to say that the average citizen is more likely to know the best basketball players than they are to know the best baseball players.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 06:41   Link #637
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Just saw the 200m final....

HOLY SHIT

For a moment there, I thought Blake was going to overtake Bolt. But then when it came to going all out, still nothing beats Bolt...it's not just the stride, his leg strength is insanely huge too.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:36   Link #638
Blaat

Quote:
I'm pretty sure basketball is more popular than baseball. For example FIBA consist of 213 national federations while IBAF only consist of 118 national federations, while not the best method of determining popularity it does give you an idea why basketball is included in the olympics but not baseball.
Old 2012-08-10, 08:02   Link #639
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I have to admit, when Japan won last year, I thought it was a fluke. Never really followed them, and didn't follow them much since. But, I think these olympics showed that they're pretty legit.

Is soccer (or even just girls soccer) really a thing in Japan?

In fact, while we did win the gold, I think the Japanese women controlled the field for most of the game, and I suspect they'd beat our American girls 3/5 in a series.

Hats off to them.

Edit: Just read about the state of female Japanese soccer in Japan in the NY Times, and assuming it's accurate, I'm now incredibly impressed with their team. Can't wait to see them in the World Cup.
The J-league has come a long way in less than 20 years. The made the right call to keep money interests at bay and focus on the local level. Quite some talents are now making the step to the big leagues.

While the Japanese women's team deserve praise for actually having won silverware, the catch up Japanese professional soccer did on the international level has been much more impressive.

Women's football is still in the development stage, the overall level is still quite low. It's telling that a team of semi-pros from Japan can become competitive on the international level in such a short time. The US women will also have to worry about increasing professionalization, which will reduce their physical advantage fairly quickly.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 11:58   Link #640
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
And so... USA vs Sexy Korean Waifus... which to choose?!
just think if you had concetrated on athletics in your youth. You could joined those Korean Ladies in the Olympic Village Orgy

Tags
olympics