AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-02-15, 19:16   Link #161
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Heh. With the train of thinking you're using, you're never going to solve THAT Mystery. Why don't you just give up and die?
Old 2012-02-15, 19:36   Link #162
Toku

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Heh. With the train of thinking you're using, you're never going to solve THAT Mystery. Why don't you just give up and die?
I love that line. :P

Spoiler for Trick:
Toku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 20:09   Link #163
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

If you're ready for the Tea Party, I wouldn't hesitate to read it.

I'll only give one reason why: Alpacatrice.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:42   Link #164
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I've been playing Kinjo's excellent "When the Seacats Cry" fan games, and just started on Inquisition of the Golden Witch. But I've run into something which has surprised me. At the start of the interactive portion of the game with deciding where to go first after washing up on the island, for the lulz I deliberately took a really stupid path for the first two or three decisions to see what happened. Knowing that there's an autosave option without the normal save style and that it's a "no going back!" set up (which is a fun idea), I thought "Right, I'll start playing for real now. But I want to start again from the beginning. It's a drag to lose my game save slots, but I suppose the only way is to reinstall the game."

So, according to the instructions which say that to uninstall the game you just delete the folder, I did that, and unzipped the game again. But everything was still there, just the way I left it! The fan eps I'd unlocked were just as before, the game save slots were there, everything.

That means it never did uninstall properly, and there must be files still left somewhere else even after deleting the game folder. I'm curious about this now: does anyone have an idea what I can do to find out where the data is being kept?
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 04:27   Link #165
battle22

where can i download kinjo's VN?
battle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 04:30   Link #166
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

I'm not sure, GoldenLand, but I do know that if you go through the Tea Party and ???, the episode unlocks so you can explore it pretty much freely; battle22, the link to the post where he keeps the download link is in Kinjo's signature; you can see some posts of his earlier in the thread.
Old 2012-02-19, 07:13   Link #167
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Thanks, AuraTwilight. After messing around with the tea parties it did start to give the option of letting me start a new game of fan ep 3, so I'm all good now.
Old 2012-02-21, 12:50   Link #168
Toku

Spoiler for Trick of the Golden Witch:
Old 2012-02-21, 14:58   Link #169
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
But I wonder, can you really die from an asthma attack that fast?
Yes.

And yea, Trick of the Golden Witch is one of my favorites; it and Inquisition.
Old 2012-02-21, 16:29   Link #170
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku View Post
Spoiler for Trick of the Golden Witch:
Darn, it's too bad you won't be able to read the last two games for some time, because they're both my favorites. And I really enjoy reading your thoughts on them.

But also, I think it's only natural that the solutions seemed rather mundane compared to their setup. After all, a magic trick isn't nearly as entertaining once you know how simple it is to reproduce. It loses its magic, but that's only because you were tricked into thinking there was magic in the first place. One of the funnest parts of making these games was finding the right way to juxtapose all of the various mundane tricks together in a way that's entertaining to read yet misleading enough for the reader to not stumble upon the answer too easily.

Trick was designed to be the most difficult, so technically speaking Inquisition should be easier for you to solve. But that depends on how good you are at playing an unfair game. The odds are just really stacked against you, that's all.
Old 2012-02-21, 19:28   Link #171
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Yea, Inquisition isn't that hard to solve if you have all the information, but let me tell you, I've never been able to find a winning path without getting killed. XD
Old 2012-02-21, 19:32   Link #172
Toku

Spoiler for Trick:
Old 2012-02-21, 20:08   Link #173
VNDan
Trapped in a Logic Error

My my, it seems many people are enjoying Kinjo's game. I guess I might as well relinquish the secret item that was added into FanEP3 after FanEP4 was made. I think only two, maybe three people have actually used it. It's a nice little something extra.

What you'll need, and how to use it:
Spoiler for FanEp3 inquisition of the Golden Witch item locations:

For anyone who hasn't played the game yet, don't worry. This won't hinder your chances at the solving the mystery. If you're shrewd enough it may even help.

Have fun.
VNDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 20:23   Link #174
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

That certainly lends new meaning to the term "domestic terrorism."
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 09:40   Link #175
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I've been playing Kinjo's excellent "When the Seacats Cry" fan games, and just started on Inquisition of the Golden Witch. But I've run into something which has surprised me. At the start of the interactive portion of the game with deciding where to go first after washing up on the island, for the lulz I deliberately took a really stupid path for the first two or three decisions to see what happened. Knowing that there's an autosave option without the normal save style and that it's a "no going back!" set up (which is a fun idea), I thought "Right, I'll start playing for real now. But I want to start again from the beginning. It's a drag to lose my game save slots, but I suppose the only way is to reinstall the game."

So, according to the instructions which say that to uninstall the game you just delete the folder, I did that, and unzipped the game again. But everything was still there, just the way I left it! The fan eps I'd unlocked were just as before, the game save slots were there, everything.

That means it never did uninstall properly, and there must be files still left somewhere else even after deleting the game folder. I'm curious about this now: does anyone have an idea what I can do to find out where the data is being kept?
Do the following:
Start up the game, and save something, then quit.
Next, open up the directory C:\ProgramData\
Sort by "Date Modified". Since you just saved a game, the WTSCC folder will be at the very top. It'll probably have a name like ONScripter-40135d. (If Kinjo / SeagullCrazy had put a gameid line in the nscript.dat, the directory would have a corresponding name.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 11:06   Link #176
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Having finished When the Seacats Cry just now, I have to say it is very good. I liked Trick of the Golden Witch best, although Inquisition was great fun because of the interactivity and I liked the way it was resolved. Board of the Golden Witch didn't interest me much at first, but after a while it grew on me a lot, and I think it wraps up When the Seacats Cry very nicely. Plus, it had some of the funniest absurd fantasy scenes and classic mystery novel references.

There's just one thing about the ending...
Spoiler for Minor spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Do the following:
Start up the game, and save something, then quit.
Next, open up the directory C:\ProgramData\
Sort by "Date Modified". Since you just saved a game, the WTSCC folder will be at the very top. It'll probably have a name like ONScripter-40135d. (If Kinjo / SeagullCrazy had put a gameid line in the nscript.dat, the directory would have a corresponding name.
Thank you! I was curious about how that worked.
Old 2012-02-22, 15:38   Link #177
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Yea, the Golden Gameboard is gone, unfortunately.
Old 2012-02-23, 02:58   Link #178
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Although parts of it can be summoned from the Google cache with an appropriate incantation.
Old 2012-02-23, 11:26   Link #179
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Well:
- The game crashed when it tried to play the movies. I worked around this by commenting out those lines.
- The game crashed again in Inquisition during
Spoiler:

***[Warning] Parse Issue at line 87964 (*twilight3:2) - command [kin_death] is not supported yet!! ***
(String buffer: [kin_death])
***[Fatal] dim[i] <= array.dim[i] at line 82757 (*r_cha_botann_ep5:18) - Array access out of bounds ***
Array access error

And another way to find out where the data for the game is stored. Run a game. Open up c:\Users\(whoever)\AppData\Roaming\ONScripter-EN\stderr.txt Look through that for a line like "Adding path: C:\ProgramData\ONScripter-40d188\"
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 18:20   Link #180
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Well:
- The game crashed when it tried to play the movies. I worked around this by commenting out those lines.
- The game crashed again in Inquisition during
Spoiler:
Oh, wow, that error is rather... embarrassing. Not that I'm surprised there are still bugs out there, but that one is a pretty simple mistake.

Spoiler:

As for the movies not playing, several other people have had that problem. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the encoding of the videos and I'm working on fixing that.

Any other bug reports are always appreciated, but are probably more suited to the game's thread in my signature than this one.