AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 20 28.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 36.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 24.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-30, 09:02   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Episode 11 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hyouka, Episode 11.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-07-01, 14:03   Link #2
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Spoiler for Episode 11 of Hyouka:
Old 2012-07-01, 15:06   Link #3
tsunade666

Great episode for me. I like this type the most. Oreki getting hyped up at the scene with the tea cafe? (what kinda of cafe is it again?) then the confrontation with the club members from the beginning, the contemplation of Oreki and the confrontation of Oreki and the queen. I wonder who is the queen talking too or what she is talking about. Can't read moon runes.
Old 2012-07-01, 17:39   Link #4
Lummie

This episode was quite realistic.

Just like in reality, a human's true nature kicks in when he/she gets to rub the mistakes harder into the person who always exceeds all expectations. That's just the feeling I got from this episode. Namely Satoshi who should be rather supporting as a "friend" adressed it as a serious issue which kept making Houtarou feel worse about it.
Old 2012-07-01, 19:34   Link #5
Gundamx

Sub out.

It was not even close to mystery...
No wonder empress(Irisu) try to find another ending...

And yes, you can make fun mystery novel without death... you know like hyouka ^^-.
Old 2012-07-01, 19:59   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'll say the last part of the episode helped. Certainly shared some of the utter frustration that Houtarou had during this episode though. Didn't think this would be the kind of series where I'd like to jump in and start punching people, but there it is. Both Irisu and likely Houtarou's sister both aggravated me to the extreme. Both completely playing Houtarou and using him to write a story that would fit with the terribly done movie.

Sadly Houtarou just got played and manipulated quite well throughout this arc. Still has me kind of annoyed right now. Though having an older sister myself the idea of being used by said sister actually fits so well that it probably boosted my level of annoyance with this episode . Just as troublesome to have Irisu just outright admit to everything. Then throwing out lines like "whether you consider them lies or not is up to you." Completely deflecting any responsibility or seeing herself as being in the wrong at all. Long as she got a conclusion that was entertaining for her and fulfilled her responsibilities it doesn't matter who she uses in the process. That's the kind of person I can't help but seriously dislike. Hopefully this arc is the last we see of Irisu period.

In the end it was a case where Hongou felt in a corner because her views were so different from the class. The whole voting on the deaths thing was stupid in the first place. If they want to make a story based on consensus then have the class write the story. Don't negate the vote of your writer. Some parts of this did fit with the theories coming up. Hongou was left in a place where her story couldn't work anymore. The terrible job done in filming made a mess of it.

At least the end of the episode was a bit uplifting. Certainly makes sense now why Chitanda isn't big on the mystery genre in general. Too much involved around solving mysteries where someone has died. Does seem more fitting for her to not like stories where characters die. But will say Chitanda was good at defusing the tension in the episode somewhat. Wonder if she was holding off asking Houtarou about everything at the end because she could read the frustration in him due to this incident? Only when he prodded did she actually ask.

I didn't mind the mystery Hongou was writing. Does make you curious about the connection between attacker and victim in that mystery though. Can guess at things, but will never really know. It really does all fit in the end.

So will say this was a good episode. Definitely brought some strong emotions and development for Houtarou. Just left me a bit annoyed at certain characters in said episode .
Old 2012-07-01, 20:14   Link #7
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Great episode for me. I like this type the most. Oreki getting hyped up at the scene with the tea cafe? (what kinda of cafe is it again?) then the confrontation with the club members from the beginning, the contemplation of Oreki and the confrontation of Oreki and the queen. I wonder who is the queen talking too or what she is talking about. Can't read moon runes.
I figure the person the queen was talking to, might be Satoshi.

I'm assuming blue text was queen and the orange one was a underclassman (Satoshi). The way the orange text person was replying was bit rude to speak to a upperclassman, so I'm assuming its Satoshi.

This episode was bit gloomy and dramatic between all the friends. So serious!
Old 2012-07-01, 20:15   Link #8
eupseudes

Went back and took a look at the text messages from the very first episode, and they make sense now.

Spoiler:

Such fabulous character development, and displays of emotion. The series is already subverting the mystery genre. :-)
Old 2012-07-01, 20:19   Link #9
Rosen

a question about the chat room
Old 2012-07-01, 20:20   Link #10
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Uh oh, Oreki has his serious and mean face on! Shit just got serious! Well....as serious as it'll get for this anime, I think.

Oreki truly does seem be a lion and he does not like to be used by another person besides his master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosen View Post
That's her senpai who probably already graduated from High school and is probably now at some University some where on the other side of the planet. It might be a man...
Old 2012-07-01, 20:21   Link #11
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Uh oh, Oreki has his serious and mean face on! Shit just got serious! Well....as serious as it'll get for this anime, I think.

Oreki truly does seem be a lion and he does not like to be used be another person besides his master.
Well naturally. Chitanda is a lot better about using Houtarou to solve mysteries . Up front about it all the time and while pushy Houtarou does seem to enjoy her being satisfied with the conclusion.
Quote:
Spoiler for Chat Guesses:
Old 2012-07-01, 20:42   Link #12
sa1

Quote:
Old 2012-07-01, 20:44   Link #13
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post

Oreki truly does seem be a lion and he does not like to be used by another person besides his master.

That's her senpai who probably already graduated from High school and is probably now at some University some where on the other side of the planet. It might be a man...
It's Hotarou's sister who is abroad halfway around the world. The way she referred to Hotarou as "idiot" gives it away.
Old 2012-07-01, 21:01   Link #14
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

The first two things I've gotta say after my first viewing of episode 11 are,

1. Ha-ha, ha-ha, ha Houtarou, you certainly got taken down a peg or two by your own clubmates. Not quite the brainiac you thought you were, eh? I hope this teaches you a lesson so that you don't get so full of yourself in the future.

2. When Houtarou came across the description of "Strength" in the Wisdom of the Taro, I burst out laughing. "Strength is symbolized by a lion controlled by a kindly woman" certainly does describe his current relationship with Eru to a tee. Granted, he was also controlled by Irisu, but calling her kindly would be like calling a lion a vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
It's Hotarou's sister who is abroad halfway around the world. The way she referred to Hotarou as "idiot" gives it away.
That's what I assumed, as well. It was also interesting to watch Irisu's facial expression change during that conversation, from smirking at the thought of deceiving her senpai, to being shocked that her senpai saw right through her plan all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Sadly Houtarou just got played and manipulated quite well throughout this arc. Still has me kind of annoyed right now. Though having an older sister myself the idea of being used by said sister actually fits so well that it probably boosted my level of annoyance with this episode . Just as troublesome to have Irisu just outright admit to everything. Then throwing out lines like "whether you consider them lies or not is up to you." Completely deflecting any responsibility or seeing herself as being in the wrong at all. Long as she got a conclusion that was entertaining for her and fulfilled her responsibilities it doesn't matter who she uses in the process. That's the kind of person I can't help but seriously dislike. Hopefully this arc is the last we see of Irisu period.
Well said! Irisu is one character, if the only character so far, in this anime that I really wouldn't want to see again. On the other hand, Sawakiguchi Misaki, the publicity manager, I wouldn't mind seeing more of. Her effervescent personality added a new spark and cheerfulness to the anime that we hadn't seen before, nor have we seen since.
Old 2012-07-01, 21:09   Link #15
Sakanaka Shouko

The episode was good, it's interesting yet kinda' strange to see Houtarou losing his cool. Irisu was a bastard, just as I expected.
But, in short, the best episode of this movie arc.

By the way, I also hope Sawakiguchi returns. ^_^
Old 2012-07-01, 21:12   Link #16
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

"Strength: Represented by a lion being led about by a kind woman"
*Oreki's eyes narrow*

I was wondering if he'd ever caught on about that. I guess now he finally has.

Spoiler for Understanding Hongou:

And yes, it seems like the chatter who recommended the Classics club was Oreki's sister, and not Satoshi, as I had originally suspected in ep 8.

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-07-01 at 21:28.
Old 2012-07-01, 21:29   Link #17
rulfo

10/10 for me. I really liked the closure a lot!

Glad I was right about the movie being a complete utter mess.

She may have had her great ending but Irisu really got served by Oreki's sister.

A little over the top too tense that makes some parts seem off but not worth complaining about.

What I can't help but still wonder why this arc was named "Why didn't she ask EBA?"

Also regarding Sawakiguchi comments... YES! I really would want to see more of her.
Old 2012-07-01, 21:56   Link #18
Qilin
Romanticist

This episode, it definitely outdoes the climax of the previous arc by a long shot. In terms of overall characterization and interactions, this episode was gold.

Firstly, this episode even managed to top the character development Houtarou got last week. If anything, this episode clearly spells out that he should open himself to everyone else instead of doing everything by himself. A major conflict here lies in his inability to interact well with others which here led to him disregarding the author's intent, as well as the input of the rest of the team. What I'm saying is that he was too self-absorbed to see the bigger picture, partially thanks to Irisu's machinations. The way I see it, this incident is a good step for him in finally coming out of his self-imposed isolation.

Houtarou aside, other characters also managed to shine in this episode. Satoshi, in particular, was notable in that his passionate outburst was a surprise given his usual lackadaisical demeanor. And of course, there's Irisu, the queen of manipulation herself.

The solution to the mystery with Hongou wasn't too much of a surprise since I had a vague feeling, but the circumstances behind it were bit startling. I couldn't have guessed that they were all just puppets moving along to Irisu's strings, and honestly, I don't quite know how to feel about her. That's not to say I dislike her. I enjoy good antagonists as much as anyone else, but her agenda is still too vague.

For what end did she have to deceive everyone just to complete a single movie?

I'm pretty sure that this isn't the last we've seen of her.

On another note, I really have to credit this show for its excellent use of its BGM to create a suitable atmosphere for each scene. Without it, much of this show's addicting tension would be missing.

EDIT:

Quote:
What I can't help but still wonder why this arc was named "Why didn't she ask EBA?"
It's because that's the question we should have been asking ourselves instead of deciding how to solve the movie mystery. That's the one question that Oreki failed to ask himself. In a sense, you could even say that the whole movie mystery was just a huge red herring for what was happening behind the scenes.
Old 2012-07-01, 21:58   Link #19
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

This was much better than the last arc, mostly because it focused on Houtarou while keeping the others to a minimum. He really is an interesting character on his own.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-07-01, 22:09   Link #20
00Coyote

I'm really glad many people are finding this show interesting and entertaining. I wish I was one of them.

If you don't like reading negative things about something you like, just pass on by.
Spoiler for Don't mind me, just being dissapointed in the story.:
Closed Thread