AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-20, 19:46   Link #1821
Key Board
Carbon

What he's probably trying to say is Simoun is not epic enough

This is because Simoun's emotional focus is different from Mai Hime.

Mai Hime is about taking your passions and using it as weapon to lunge forward... selfishly or otherwise... It's one of the traditional shounen approaches. And Mai Hime does that splendidly, I might add.

With Simoun, the focus is about the uncertainty of the future. The feelings are more muted. There is a latent anxiety among the chor.. The characters are constantly wondering of their role and why they fought. And I guarantee they still wonder about it even now.

There is an almost poignant acceptance to setbacks and failures. It's one of the sad things about becoming an adult. Things don't go your way, but you have to move on despite having many unanswered questions.

Which why Aer and Nevril's journey is important to them. They have surrendered to society and become adults. Aer and Nevrill will live on and inherit the youth.. the various emotions.. of chor tempest. The will become a time capsule.. a mark that says "never forget what happened"

Regarding that image: double wing necklace signifies a child, or someone that has not chosen yet. She sorta looks like Aer or Amuria(which incidentally, I believe to be Aer's granpa)
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 23:22   Link #1822
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
New image on the front page of Nishida Asako's site. Who do you think it is?

Spoiler for who it is:

Anyone else think she looks a bit like Aaeru?
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 00:56   Link #1823
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Spoiler:
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 06:22   Link #1824
sei

Found a piece of news about Simoun seiyuus.

sei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 08:22   Link #1825
fignae
floofer. floof.

Excellent interview, sei, thanks!

I love the picture.

But I think I got spoiled for a VERY minor thing. *kicks online translator* Possible episode 26 spoilers?
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 10:54   Link #1826
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Anyone else think she looks a bit like Aaeru?
I do. My guess was that this was Aaeru's grandfather.

Wowo, I think what you are trying to say is that the series peaked too early and now suffers somewhat from the inevitable comparisons between the earlier episodes and the recent ones. I agree to an extent, although I don't think the situation is that bad.

Quote:
I dunno, I just feel like those "little" character quirks and interactions pretty much disappeared.
I think it was more of a case of the viewers getting used to these quirks, rather than the quirks disappearing. Now the series is more plot driven than before which is almost inevitable if we want to have a real closure but there is still time for some nice character interraction - like Guragief and Anubituf understanding each other almsot without words.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 11:38   Link #1827
metronome
Mad Loli

that;s a good findings sei, but too bad I can't understand it haha
metronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 13:40   Link #1828
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I do. My guess was that this was Aaeru's grandfather.

Wowo, I think what you are trying to say is that the series peaked too early and now suffers somewhat from the inevitable comparisons between the earlier episodes and the recent ones. I agree to an extent, although I don't think the situation is that bad.
Do did I

The latter episodes have been called 'draggy' enough for me to finally speak up on ther matter. Frankly, I think it's a mistake to see it this way. Like Dominura said, it's "missing the forest for the trees."
I've said before that Simoun is essentially about life and growing up. It takes a much more bittersweet approach to it than any coming-of-age story I've seen, though, and I find that refreshing after all of the super-hopeful messages of most others.
The fact that it climaxed prematurely is part of it's statement: despite not being on the same level as it used to be, life still goes on. These last episodes have been great, but we've all been waiting for something super-climactic to happen and blow us all away. If we're going to enjoy it, we have to let go of that. What Simoun is telling us is that if we're going to enjoy adlthood, we have to be able to let go of our youth; otherwise we'll be living in the past and we'll never be satisfied with anything.
Old 2006-09-21, 17:23   Link #1829
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

cast photo names

Thanks a lot to sei for the story and photo of the post-recording wrap-up. Thanks to fignae for the warning about potential spoilers. I only read a bit of the story and will leave the rest for later, but I have tried to put names to all the faces in the cast photo.

I'm sure of most of them, but have put ? in front of names I'm uncertain of. I may have reversed Kiuchi Reiko (who's almost 40) and Nazuka Kaori (who's just over 20). Kaorin seems to look different in every photo of her I see. Corrections welcome.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 17:40   Link #1830
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Thanks a lot to sei for the story and photo of the post-recording wrap-up. Thanks to fignae for the warning about potential spoilers. I only read a bit of the story and will leave the rest for later, but I have tried to put names to all the faces in the cast photo.

I'm sure of most of them, but have put ? in front of names I'm uncertain of. I may have reversed Kiuchi Reiko (who's almost 40) and Nazuka Kaori (who's just over 20). Kaorin seems to look different in every photo of her I see. Corrections welcome.
Hm, I probably could identify each one if I were able to see what you wrote.
Is it a possibility that you have .jp domains blocked out? (Not that I blame you if so)

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 18:21   Link #1831
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
Hm, I probably could identify each one if I were able to see what you wrote.
Is it a possibility that you have .jp domains blocked out? (Not that I blame you if so)
Not blocked intentionally. Maybe my host.... In any case, here is what i wrote (I'm trusting you have the photo):
front row (l-r): Takahashi Mikako (Rodoreamon), Koshimizu Ami (Paraietta), Takahashi Rieko (Neviril), Niino Michi (Aaeru), Hosokoshi Michiko (Kaimu), Toyoguchi Megumi (Alti).
middle row: Kuwashima Houko (Guraghief), ?Yukana (Dominura), Noto Mamiko (Limone), Mizuki Nana (Morinas), Aizawa Michiru (Furoe), ?Nazuka Kaori (Yun).
back row: Tsujitani Kouji (sound director), Morinaga Rika (Mamiina), ?Kiuchi Reiko (Anubituf), Mizusawa (the text says Kitajima) Fumie (Wapourif), ?Hayasaka Ai (Vyura), ?Tamagawa Sakiko (Onashia), ?Kitamura Eri (Amuria), Nishimura Junji (director).

Thanks for any help you can give.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-09-21, 18:44   Link #1832
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Not blocked intentionally. Maybe my host.... In any case, here is what i wrote (I'm trusting you have the photo):
front row (l-r): Takahashi Mikako (Rodoreamon), Koshimizu Ami (Paraietta), Takahashi Rieko (Neviril), Niino Michi (Aaeru), Hosokoshi Michiko (Kaimu), Toyoguchi Megumi (Alti).
middle row: Kuwashima Houko (Guraghief), ?Yukana (Dominura), Noto Mamiko (Limone), Mizuki Nana (Morinas), Aizawa Michiru (Furoe), ?Nazuka Kaori (Yun).
back row: Tsujitani Kouji (sound director), Morinaga Rika (Mamiina), ?Kiuchi Reiko (Anubituf), Mizusawa (the text says Kitajima) Fumie (Wapourif), ?Hayasaka Ai (Vyura), ?Tamagawa Sakiko (Onashia), ?Kitamura Eri (Amuria), Nishimura Junji (director).

Thanks for any help you can give.
Ah, okay, other than having Tamagawa Sakiko and Kiuchi Reiko the other way around, you're right on the spot

Old 2006-09-21, 21:05   Link #1833
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
Ah, okay, other than having Tamagawa Sakiko and Kiuchi Reiko the other way around, you're right on the spot.
Thanks! I've fixed the file.

Does your knowledge of seiyuu come from going to seiyuu events, or just from magazines and TV? I hope to have a chance to see some of these people in person someday.

One thing I did read in the article was Niino Michi again emphasizing what a good mood there was in the studio for Simoun. Do you think that might be true, or is it just that she's a stage actress and unfamiliar with the atmosphere of an anime sound studio? I would have thought that the fact everyone in the studio (except the two guys in the photo, I believe) was female might make a difference of some kind in the way things went.

One more question: I got the sense from something Mizuki Nana said in this month's video message that the sound director is like the seiyuus' director/coach during recording. Do you think this is the case?

By the way, I found that apparent error in the article text amusing and puzzling: Mizusawa Fumie's name given as Kitajima Fumie. Having seen her rather humorous personality in that video message and elsewhere, I'm wondering if she gave the reporter the wrong name and made a reference to Glass Mask (whose heroine is the young actress Kitajima Maya). I do wonder what the mutual feeling was between the pure seiyuu on the job and the stage actresses (like Niino Michi, Takahashi Rieko and Hosokoshi Michiko). Each side could feel superior to the other, it occurs to me.
Old 2006-09-21, 23:38   Link #1834
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Sei's link had some interesting comments.

The sound director says he doesn't think the show is the sort that gets a high reputation instantly, but guesses they will know in a few years that they have produced a superb work.
He calls the show avant-garde and thanks the cast for getting into a complicity.

Those comments are exactly what I have thought.
The show has some extraordinary features I dare want to call revolutionary.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 00:10   Link #1835
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Does your knowledge of seiyuu come from going to seiyuu events, or just from magazines and TV? I hope to have a chance to see some of these people in person someday.
Well, I don't attend seiyuu events at all. I go to anime events, where it is basically standard policy for the corresponding seiyuus to appear. I never listen to the myriads of internet radio programs out there, and hardly look through seiyuu blogs.

However, in addition to the 30+ anime titles I see weekly (probably because I don't have to use a single byte of bandwidth, although my supplies of blank DVD-Rs run out quite fast), I do watch 5 anime information programs a week (3 produced by RAMS, so they can spoon-feed the likes of Nogawa Sakura, Takahashi Naozumi, and Sakai Kanako down your throat), purchase just about every major anime related magazine, and go through almost every anime related news article on the net.

If you were doing this for many years, you'll get to know how seiyuus look, and how they sound without any prior knowledge. I must admit there are many cases where I see the photo of a staff or cast member for the first time on English sites such as ANN.

Then again, I'm not much keen on the male seiyuus. I was at a Garasu no Kantai event last week where the gender makeup was 90% female (fujoshi), where I felt out of place.

Quote:
One thing I did read in the article was Niino Michi again emphasizing what a good mood there was in the studio for Simoun. Do you think that might be true, or is it just that she's a stage actress and unfamiliar with the atmosphere of an anime sound studio? I would have thought that the fact everyone in the studio (except the two guys in the photo, I believe) was female might make a difference of some kind in the way things went.
For stage actresses like Niino Michi and Talahashi Rieko, voice dubbing of anime must be quite different from the theatrics they are used to. However, in many cases, seiyuus start of their careers as stage actors or have had experience in the field, therefore the acting itself shouldn't differ. In a society like Japan where men hang around with men and vice versa, it isn't unsual to see lack of camaraderie in the studio. Remove the men and voila, a comfortable atmosphere.

Quote:
One more question: I got the sense from something Mizuki Nana said in this month's video message that the sound director is like the seiyuus' director/coach during recording. Do you think this is the case?
Yes, the sound director (音響監督) is the most important staff member for the seiyuu, as he has overall authority on the supervision of the voice acting. The director will have say if he/she is at the recording session, which is not always the case. Literally speaking, a sound director gives you the impression that he is in charge of sound effects, music, and other sound related technical matters. But his primary job is to make sure the dialogue between the cast is conducted in a way the staff members intend it to be relayed to the audience. Having a good relationship with the sound director is essential for the seiyuu to win new roles at auditions.

Quote:
By the way, I found that apparent error in the article text amusing and puzzling: Mizusawa Fumie's name given as Kitajima Fumie. Having seen her rather humorous personality in that video message and elsewhere, I'm wondering if she gave the reporter the wrong name and made a reference to Glass Mask (whose heroine is the young actress Kitajima Maya). I do wonder what the mutual feeling was between the pure seiyuu on the job and the stage actresses (like Niino Michi, Takahashi Rieko and Hosokoshi Michiko). Each side could feel superior to the other, it occurs to me.
That has to be a mistake on the part of the reporter. The seiyuu indsutry is extremely closed and tight knit, as you could be competing for a role tomorrow against a current cast member. However, since you have to work with anyone, you learn to leave your ego out the door. If you get into personal problems in a small world like voice acting, you're jeapordizing your career (I am personally relieved that seiyuus like Shiina Hekiru and Yukana, who have gone through a lot of bashing, are still going on strong), although it may not entirely be a single individual's fault (there still exists management agencies that force struggling seiyuus to perform the lecherous casting couch).

Old 2006-09-22, 00:18   Link #1836
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by warainagara
Sei's link had some interesting comments.

The sound director says he doesn't think the show is the sort that gets a high reputation instantly, but guesses they will know in a few years that they have produced a superb work.
He calls the show avant-garde and thanks the cast for getting into a complicity.

Those comments are exactly what I have thought.
The show has some extraordinary features I dare want to call revolutionary.
Seconded (or thirded?).
All fanboyisms aside, I think this show is a classic; even if no one knows it yet

It dives into a lot of unexplored (or touched-on-but-never-followed-through-with) territory. It juggles a lot of complex issues and characters and still remains coherrent despite. As a writer myself, I sympathize will how difficult it can be to create something with so many facets while keeping the whole thing focused. It's not easy.

I hope the sound director is correct in his predictions. If the popularity does pick up over time, maybe an OVA (or even a second series) isn't an impossibility. Personally, I'd love to see what all went on with Dominura, Onashia, and Aaeru's grandfather in Chor Dextra.
Old 2006-09-22, 06:16   Link #1837
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Who are you?

Who are you?

アーエルとネヴィリルは旅立った。時は過ぎ、少女だった彼らは大人になり、それぞれの人生を営んでいる。同 じように、リモネとドミヌーラも……。アルクス・プリーマは湖に沈み、湖畔にはかつての仲間がひとり、見守 るように暮らしていた。

Aael and Neviril left Simulacrum and journey to new world. Passing at the time, they who were girls grow up and are leading each life. Similarly, they are also Rimone and Dominūra. Arcus Prima sank in the lake, and the once friend lived in it as if he watched in the lakeside one person.

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-09-22 at 06:49.
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 09:04   Link #1838
sei

apparently there's a new song for the PS2 game.Any idea on who's the singer & the song's title? The game CM is available on Youtube
sei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 09:58   Link #1839
JiCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sei
apparently there's a new song for the PS2 game.Any idea on who's the singer & the song's title? The game CM is available on Youtube
This one ?

No offense, but if we can't even find some big chunk of info about this game, we won't be able to find the song and artist.
JiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 10:19   Link #1840
j1m0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiCi
This one ?

No offense, but if we can't even find some big chunk of info about this game, we won't be able to find the song and artist.
Well actually it says 'savage genius' on that youtube link, and it's been mentioned in some articles on the game that they're doing both the OP/ED (ie here).

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri