AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Byukugan or sharingan?
Byukugan 407 35.51%
Sharingan 647 56.46%
Neither 92 8.03%
Voters: 1146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-04-11, 11:24   Link #1481
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Yeah, apart from the fact that it was stated that only Sharingan could do that, and the fact that Byakugan doesnt have the same abbilitie to analyze Jutsus as the Sharingan (reason why Sharingan can resist this Genjutsu) or have been said to be effective Against Genjutsu. Yeah pretty much is a fact, not a conjecture. now if you decide to trow to the garbage every fact stated about Genjutsu, Sharingan and Byakugan, then Yeah Byakugan is a Doujutsu that houses that hiden abbility Mangekyu Byakugan which can summom green NInjas with wings.

That Kishimoto in the future decides to make Byakugan inmune to Tsukijoumy, is as expecting that Naruto is said to be really from Uchiha decendence, a Chance that is practically null.
I didn't say it was immune, i'm merely saying that its open-ended unlike your claims you seem to post as "facts" without any reservations. Where are these FACTS clearly stated, i'd like to know. Aside from someone, I think Kakashi, saying that fighting a Sharingan user takes another Sharingan user, I don't see how its stated as FACT or alluding to the "FACT", by your claims, that Byakugan has no abilities to anaylize genjutsu. I think I recall Kakashi or Neji whoever also saying that Byakugan's ability at insight is unsurpassed. Semantics, whatever they mean by "insight" isn't clearly revealed yet is it? Which means it could mean nothing vs. Sharingan or something vs. it, either way there's a possibility. The POSSIBILITY, for now, is a FACT.

And btw, the chance for Byakugan being immune to Tsukiyomi is better than Naruto being chinese eh.

As for anything else you said, I couldn't understand your broken english so... yeah.
Old 2007-04-11, 11:49   Link #1482
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Ninja View Post
I didn't say it was immune, i'm merely saying that its open-ended unlike your claims you seem to post as "facts" without any reservations.
Immune is more acceptable if you want it to happen, as seen trough Genjutsu is an Sharingan ability, not a Byakugan ability. Do you want me to beggin quoting Databook and Manga chapters?

Fact is, Itachi said only someone with the same blood as him (Uchihas) could defeat Tsukijomy, and what are the Byakugan users? last time I Checked, they are Hyugas, I’m not pulling things out of nowhere here, I’m stating the facts.

Quote:
Where are these FACTS clearly stated, i'd like to know. Aside from someone, I think Kakashi, saying that fighting a Sharingan user takes another Sharingan user, I don't see how its stated as FACT or alluding to the "FACT", by your claims, that Byakugan has no abilities to anaylize genjutsu.
I think you are not getting the point here, what you are talking about here is something that you are hoping to happen in the future, what I’m talking about is actual facts. The actual fact is very precise, only people with the same blood as Itachi could dispel Tsukijoumy, that’s a direct statement saying if you aren’t an Uchiha, you cant resist Tsukijoumy.

And then, we have the other facts:

Byakugan doesn’t have the ability to See trough Jutsus, that’s an Ability from the Sharingan, asking that the Byakugan can see trough Tsukijoumy is saying that Byakugan has an ability of the Sharingan.

Kishimoto have made each Dojutus unique with their unique abilities. I don’t see Kishimoto giving the Byakugan the same ability of the Sharingan, and I doubt you would want to Kishimoto to add to the Sharingan the ability to see 360 Degrees.

Spoiler:

And last of all, I think you are forgetting what Manga you are reading, this Manga direction has made very clear what its wants with Both Sharingan and Byakugan, just because of that, You wont see Byakugan doing such things.

Quote:
I think I recall Kakashi or Neji whoever also saying that Byakugan's ability at insight is unsurpassed. Semantics, whatever they mean by "insight" isn't clearly revealed yet is it? Which means it could mean nothing vs. Sharingan or something vs. it, either way there's a possibility. The POSSIBILITY, for now, is a FACT.
Gets your facts straight, Kakashi only stated that the insights of the Byakugan are superior than the Sharingan, like that, it was referring to the fact that it can see inner coils, it can see tenketsu, it has X-ray vision, it can see 360 degree. So, yeah, taking that said, to jump and giving the Byakugan an ability of the Sharingan is just inventing things out of nothing.

Quote:
And btw, the chance for Byakugan being immune to Tsukiyomi is better than Naruto being chinese eh.
Yeah, if you are reading another Manga, then yes. Also, you can throw in that Konohamaru has a chance to dispel Tsukijoumy, there is no fact against that, right?…

Quote:
As for anything else you said, I couldn't understand your broken english so... yeah.
Interesting, yet you quoted everything I said, it seems you did understand it, but neh, people like to atack the poster when they are proven wrong. Either way, your English is as good as mine.

Last edited by Rurik; 2007-04-11 at 12:00.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 12:06   Link #1483
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Quote:
Immune is more acceptable if you want it to happen, as seen trough Genjutsu is an Sharingan ability, not a Byakugan ability. Do you want me to beggin quoting Databook and Manga chapters?

Fact is, Itachi said only someone with the same blood as him (Uchihas) could defeat Tsukijomy, and what are the Byakugan users? last time I Checked, they are Hyugas, I’m not pulling things out of nowhere here, I’m stating the facts.

I think you are not getting the point here, what you are talking about here is something that you are hoping to happen in the future, what I’m talking about is actual facts. The actual fact is very precise, only people with the same blood as Itachi could dispel Tsukijoumy, that’s a direct statement saying if you aren’t an Uchiha, you cant resist Tsukijoumy.

Byakugan doesn’t have the ability to See trough Jutsus, that’s an Ability from the Sharingan, asking that the Byakugan can see trough Tsukijoumy is saying that Byakugan has an ability of the Sharingan.

Kishimoto have made each Dojutus unique with their unique abilities. I don’t see Kishimoto giving the Byakugan the same ability of the Sharingan, and I doubt you would want to Kishimoto to add to the Sharingan the ability to see 360 Degrees.

Spoiler:

And last of all, I think you are forgetting what Manga you are reading, this Manga direction has made very clear what its wants with Both Sharingan and Byakugan, just because of that, You wont see Byakugan doing such things.

Gets your facts straight, Kakashi only stated that the insights of the Byakugan are superior than the Sharingan, like that, it was referring to the fact that it can see inner coils, it can see tenketsu, it has X-ray vision, it can see 360 degree. So, yeah, taking that said, to jump and giving the Byakugan an ability of the Sharingan is just inventing things out of nothing.

Yeah, if you are reading another Manga, then yes. Also, you can throw in that Konohamaru has a chance to dispel Tsukijoumy, there is no fact against that, right?…

Interesting, yet you quoted everything I said, it seems you did understand it, but neh, people only know to bad mouth poster when they are proven wrong. Either way, your English is as good as mine.
Well it seems like you put in more effort to type out your sentences this time eh. And I wasn't badmouthing anyone until you tried to be a sarcastic prick. In any case, all I have to say about your Itachi quote saying it takes someone with the same blood to defeat an Uchiha is that to me, that's more or less a statement of arrogance. And its actually funny to say that that's a fact when considering that the eventuality of Sasuke getting his ass handed to him will be by none other than a blonde-haired non Uchiha. Hmmmm...

Insights of the Byakugan are superior how? He didn't specify if he was only referring to the inner chakra coils. You're putting words into a fictional character's mouth.

And "seeing through" a jutsu as opposed to "copying" one are two different things. Semantics, again. Sharingan "sees through" jutsus because they can copy it by a glance. It's not the same inference to say that no, Byakygan can't copy jutsus but can it see through certain abilities like genjtutsu's perhaps? Again, referring back to my prior post I leave it as a possibility until proven without a shadow of a doubt otherwise.
Old 2007-04-11, 12:31   Link #1484
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Ninja View Post
Well it seems like you put in more effort to type out your sentences this time eh. And I wasn't badmouthing anyone until you tried to be a sarcastic prick.
Welll, If you don’t like my sarcasm or my english, just send me a PM, I dotn see the relevance on attacking them inside a debate.

Quote:
In any case, all I have to say about your Itachi quote saying it takes someone with the same blood to defeat an Uchiha is that to me, that's more or less a statement of arrogance. And its actually funny to say that that's a fact when considering that the eventuality of Sasuke getting his ass handed to him will be by none other than a blonde-haired non Uchiha. Hmmmm...
I think you got Itachi quote wrong, Itachi quote was about the MS jutsus, he was talking about how Kakashi could resist the Tsukijoumy because of the Sharingan, but in order to fight it of completely, an Uchiha is needed.

While I don’t take Itachi’s quote as an Absolute fact, because the possibility of something changing this it still there. still, what he said is our actual fact. The point here is that saying that Byakugan can’t see trough Tsukijoumy, isn’t a conjecture, is a fact, which could change if Kishimoto decides to do so in the future. something that look very doubtful.

Quote:
Insights of the Byakugan are superior how? He didn't specify if he was only referring to the inner chakra coils. You're putting words into a fictional character's mouth.
I’m quoting things from What we have been shown in the Manga and the Databook. When Kakashi talked about Insight, it was about Overall insight, however, this was not referring that every ability the Sharingan has, the Byakugan has it and better.

Both Sharingan and Byakugan have insight abilities, which in this case see trough things, but in the case what the Sharigan see trough is different and has a different purpose of what the Byakugan can see trough.

While Byakugan gives you detailed information of what going on inside a Shinoby body, Sharingan only perceives things in a lesser degree (hence, part of why Byakugan has superior insights), but Sharingan interpret the information it sees, and hence why it can see trough a Genjutsu and cancel their effects, And what you are asking the Byakugan to do is precisely that, to See trough a Jutsu and cancel its effects.

Quote:
And "seeing through" a jutsu as opposed to "copying" one are two different things. Semantics, again. Sharingan "sees through" jutsus because they can copy it by a glance. It's not the same inference to say that no, Byakygan can't copy jutsus but can it see through certain abilities like genjtutsu's perhaps?
The thing about seen trough a Jutsu is something Byakugan until now can’t do, because the insight abilities are different from the Shairngan. Sharigan can actually see trough it because it interprets the information of how the Chakra is working inside the Shinobies body and cancel the jutsu out.

And Copying is a different ability than seen trough a Jutsu. and is all the way around, the Sharingan can copy because it can see trough the Jutsu.

Quote:
Again, referring back to my prior post I leave it as a possibility until proven without a shadow of a doubt otherwise.
I don’t mind having open the possibility of something like that to happen, but my bickering is about what we know as of now.

Last edited by Rurik; 2007-04-11 at 12:44.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 14:34   Link #1485
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Bringing Hinata with a ripoff of the Hyuuga's ultimate defense (this technique doesn't belong to Neji, it's an official Hyuuga technique, one she is supposed to learn) was illogical. And the worst of it is that she is Neji's servant in the filler, just bringing him and her father tea while watching them train. They totally missed Kishimoto's point IMHO. (but maybe that's just me)
I'm not sure about this, but I don't think Neji is even supposed to know the absolute defense technique being that it is something that is only taught to members of the main branch of the clan. So would Hinata, as a member of the main house, learning it and making a variation of it make it a rip-off? Even it is, it's not illogical from what we've seen so far.

Spoiler:

Hinata serving tea in that episode was lame though.
Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 15:40   Link #1486
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
I'm not sure about this, but I don't think Neji is even supposed to know the absolute defense technique being that it is something that is only taught to members of the main branch of the clan. So would Hinata, as a member of the main house, learning it and making a variation of it make it a rip-off? Even it is, it's not illogical from what we've seen so far.

Spoiler:

I think what Rahan is saying is that is illogical for Hinata to come up with a Absolute defense on his own whereas her character is the total opposite of this: she is a dropout.

I debated about that when this was aired in the Anime, and yeah I could belive Hinata doing that after the time skip, but not doing so before time skip, when she wasn’t completely trained by the Main House family and on top of that this just make Neeji genius to come up with the Absolute defense less unique, ie: If Hinata who is a mediocre by Hyuga standards could come up with a Absolute Defense with no assistance, then Neeji doing so is not the big deal.
Old 2007-04-11, 15:47   Link #1487
Rahan

Quote:

Yes, only the main house members are taught that technique (which doesn't really make sense if the branch house is supposed to be main house's bodyguards but that's not the point), but Hinata is from the main branch. She should learn it. Learning a ripoff of this jutsu would just be like admitting she is not worthy of her blood and giving up on changing herself.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 16:06   Link #1488
Rahan

Quote:
I think what Rahan is saying is that is illogical for Hinata to come up with a Absolute defense on his own whereas her character is the total opposite of this: she is a dropout.

I debated about that when this was aired in the Anime, and yeah I could belive Hinata doing that after the time skip, but not doing so before time skip, when she wasn’t completely trained by the Main House family and on top of that this just make Neeji genius to come up with the Absolute defense less unique, ie: If Hinata who is a mediocre by Hyuga standards could come up with a Absolute Defense with no assistance, then Neeji doing so is not the big deal.
Not really. I just feel like Hinata trying to go out of the Hyuuga ways is illogical and contradictory with Kishimoto's work.

If they wanted to power her up (which I would not have minded), they should have made her like a poor version of Neji (let's say she can't close all the chakra points with one jutsu, but at least seal off the hands to prevent the ennemy to perfom hand seals. And let her emitt chakra to give her a defense, but not on a 360° radius)
Old 2007-04-11, 16:40   Link #1489
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:

When you put it like that, I admit that is very hard to swallow Hinata developing a technique that rivals Kaiten on her own so soon without any instruction, but not necessarily illogical. It is implied that Hinata's mediocrity may have been the result of the lack of confidence she had in herself, something which may have changed (in regards to combat) after the chuunin exams. After gaining some confidence in her abilities, her progress could've increased rapidly. After all, a large part of Naruto's theme is avg individuals unlocking amazing potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan
Yes, only the main house members are taught that technique (which doesn't really make sense if the branch house is supposed to be main house's bodyguards but that's not the point), but Hinata is from the main branch. She should learn it. Learning a ripoff of this jutsu would just be like admitting she is not worthy of her blood and giving up on changing herself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
If they wanted to power her up (which I would not have minded), they should have made her like a poor version of Neji (let's say she can't close all the chakra points with one jutsu, but at least seal off the hands to prevent the ennemy to perfom hand seals. And let her emitt chakra to give her a defense, but not on a 360° radius)
Ah, so what you're saying is that she can be better, but still must be inferior to Neji. Not to put words in your mouth, but that seems to be the real point you're driving at. Because I don't see how creating a useful variation of a technique is an admittance that Hinata is not worthy of the Hyuuga blood, especially if the resulting technique might be in some ways superior to the original. Like Rurik mentioned, the only reason it doesn't fit is that it makes Neji's accomplishments seem less impressive and he is supposed to be the genius of that clan.

However, making Hinata a watered-down re-hash of Neji to me just further diminishes her role in the story. We already have the Gai/Lee and Tsunade/Sakura duos.

Just to be somewhat on-topic: Byukugan escaping Tsukuyomi? Doesn't really make sense to me.
Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 17:32   Link #1490
Rahan

Quote:
Ah, so what you're saying is that she can be better, but still must be inferior to Neji. Not to put words in your mouth, but that seems to be the real point you're driving at.
She never stated her real ambitions (only that she likes Naruto and want to change herself), but I guess / hope she hasn't given up on becoming the next head of the clan. Hanabi is supposed to be talented, so she will master the real Hyuuga tools. Hinata need the real deal, not some random techniques that can do the trick most of the time.

Quote:
Because I don't see how creating a useful variation of a technique is an admittance that Hinata is not worthy of the Hyuuga blood, especially if the resulting technique might be in some ways superior to the original.Like Rurik mentioned, the only reason it doesn't fit is that it makes Neji's accomplishments seem less impressive and he is supposed to be the genius of that clan.
I don't think it can be better than Kaiten. Kaiten blows away everything approching while Hinata still need her hand palms to individually deflects the attacks (this move should make her superfast, which she wasn't during this arc => plot hole). Also it doesn't cover her whole body. I don't think her defense would be any good against an area attack. She is limited by the speed of her arms. On the other hand, Kaiten produce a real chakra wall around him which will deflect anything (compared to Hinata's 2 fast small shields). All the defense is on her arms, so I think it can be overpowered more easily than Kaiten which use the whole body.

Quote:
However, making Hinata a watered-down re-hash of Neji to me just further diminishes her role in the story. We already have the Gai/Lee and Tsunade/Sakura duos.
Well, on the very long run, I want her to surpass Neji and become the worthy chief of the clan, but it won't happen in a few chapters. Just like Naruto has to surpass everybody else to become Hokage
I don't think Neji has much more to offer to the story anyways. He is already very strong, he is not hating the main branch and doesn't believe in his fate crap anymore. His role is pretty much over. He'll fight now and then, but he should not have much more development.
Old 2007-04-11, 22:02   Link #1491
tkdtiger

You know what would be cool if the first Sharingan user was actually a hyuuga and he was kicked out of the clan and formed his own clan or something...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 22:51   Link #1492
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
You know what would be cool if the first Sharingan user was actually a hyuuga and he was kicked out of the clan and formed his own clan or something...
Probably what happened.
Old 2007-04-12, 12:12   Link #1493
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
i don't think that the byakugan can predict the next movements. Also, wouldn't the tenkensu or whatever be void against a sharingan user too? BE ause they can see what happens before it does?
From what I can tell a strong Byakugan seems to see things in slow motion or at least is able to see subtle things in movements due a combination of the Byakugan it self as well as the person's training and that is why they can hit the tenketsu so accurately even against someone like Lee. When the byakugan user is attacking Tenketsu points it seems their speed is also greatly increased. So having sharingan doesn't mean that much in terms of dodging. The hardest things for a sharingan user to dodge is of course attacks that come in numerous directions.

As for those who says the Sharingan is immune to genjutsu is false.It resists genjutsu and how strong the resistance is depends on the Sharingan user himself. IMHO it's probable that the Byakugan has some defenses against genjutsu, but it wouldn't be completely immune. We just don't know. It is not fact to say that the Byakugan cannot resist genjutsu just as it is not fact that it can. It's never stated. If anything it's probable that the Byakugan does have some resistance, but not as strong. I don't see a Byakugan user being fooled by basic illusions of living things since they wouldn't have chakra coils. Also it may be probable since it is supposed to have similarities to sharingan, but Kishimoto never goes into the similarities. In essence one can argue either way.

Spoiler:

In essence I think it will never be answered or atleast not anytime soon.
Old 2007-04-15, 01:56   Link #1494
ri0

Quote:

Spoiler:
Tsukuyomi is no exception. Someone who is skilled enough in genjutsu can totally control how a person perceives space and time, this is why Kakashi felt like he was being tortured for 3 days when he was caught in Tsukuyomi. However, he wasn't physically transported anywhere.
[/spoiler]
If Tsukiyomi hits, the Itachi is in control.. But I think what he meant was read. So if a Byakugan user reads the flow of chakra, Itachi is gathering to his eyes, he could avoid it.
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 11:23   Link #1495
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
If Tsukiyomi hits, the Itachi is in control.. But I think what he meant was read. So if a Byakugan user reads the flow of chakra, Itachi is gathering to his eyes, he could avoid it.
This is one reason why people I think wants to see a byakugan user vs a sharingan user, because as one begins thinking there is so much potential on what could be written.

Sadly I'm beginning to think this will never happen so there will always be this what-ifs
Old 2007-04-15, 21:23   Link #1496
M-Doc4204

First off i choose Sharingan cuz it has 2 stages and second i propose this question, since Sharingan is a decendent from the Byukugan I always wonderd what would happen if the two were further combined like if Hinata and Sauske had a baby (hypotheticly of course)???????????????
M-Doc4204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 22:20   Link #1497
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Doc4204 View Post
First off i choose Sharingan cuz it has 2 stages and second i propose this question, since Sharingan is a decendent from the Byukugan I always wonderd what would happen if the two were further combined like if Hinata and Sauske had a baby (hypotheticly of course)???????????????
I'm guessing the Dominant gene would take precedant, which probably is the Byakugan. It's possible though that it would have elements of both. I guess it could mutate further. If it had the abilities of both the Byakugan and Sharingan it would be one powerful BL.
Old 2007-04-16, 08:17   Link #1498
A_AQUARE

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
From what I can tell a strong Byakugan seems to see things in slow motion or at least is able to see subtle things in movements due a combination of the Byakugan it self as well as the person's training and that is why they can hit the tenketsu so accurately even against someone like Lee. When the byakugan user is attacking Tenketsu points it seems their speed is also greatly increased. So having sharingan doesn't mean that much in terms of dodging. The hardest things for a sharingan user to dodge is of course attacks that come in numerous directions.
thats if a hyugas on offence... if an uchihas on offence,he or she(imposible unlest they have kids) can read opp movement but then would anythin be seen if a hyuga waits n reacts at the last moment(theyll c it but itl be bit 2 late thou)

i suck at tis stuff,kinda new so 4give me

Last edited by Hunter; 2007-04-16 at 08:53. Reason: don't double post
A_AQUARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 12:32   Link #1499
tkdtiger

[QUOTE=A_AQUARE;905593]
Quote:
thats if a hyugas on offence... if an uchihas on offence,he or she(imposible unlest they have kids) can read opp movement but then would anythin be seen if a hyuga waits n reacts at the last moment(theyll c it but itl be bit 2 late thou)

i suck at tis stuff,kinda new so 4give me
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say? Yes, I was talking about offense. I'm not sure if the Byakugan user perceives things coming at them at a slower pace when they want to close the tenketsu points, but it would kind of make sense as it would allow them to attack the points more accurately. I based that part of what I wrote on what someone once said on another site. If anything one would think that the byakugan user can see subtle movements in a person's muscle and in their chakra. A byakugan user I'm guessing is similar to the matrix. It see's the attack coming at them already, but it allows them to dodge the attack. This though is probably a combination of byakugan and their own physical training. This can help in defensive and offensive.

Sharingan is different. It predicts the attack. This means that the attack is not in motion yet, but it knows what is coming next. This is different than a matrix-like ability as the sharingan user sees the attack coming before the attack actually happens.

Both of course both have weaknesses. Byakugan has a very small blind spot, but it's only a detriment if the byakugan user is standing completely still. If they move their head the blind spot moves so it's not that hard to compensate for it. Sharingan has trouble seeing some types of movements including if the movement is faster than what the sharingan user can handle. This can be fixed through training. It also appears to have trouble copying extremely advanced jutsus. This of course again can be fixed through training.
Old 2007-04-16, 12:53   Link #1500
tkdtiger

Quote:

Spoiler:

Interesting, yet you quoted everything I said, it seems you did understand it, but neh, people like to atack the poster when they are proven wrong. Either way, your English is as good as mine.
Didn't he use Tsukijomy on Kakashi? Anyways Kakashi says that "The Byakugan is a similar eye ability to that of Sharingan, but in terms of insight it surpasses it." This does suggest that the Byakugan would have at least some similar abilities to byakugan. Sharingan in itself is not immune to genjutsu, but can resist it. So I agree that even if the byakugan had a defensive mechanism against Genjutsu that it wouldn't be an immunity, but rather it would depend on the user of both the sharingan user and the byakugan user. Not only that if the sharingan did indeed come from the byakugan there more then likely would be a genetic link between the two clans. Just because Itachi said only a Uchiha it doesn't make it true. It was believed that you had to kill your best friend to get MS, but this now does not seem to be the case.

I think people are confusing resisting with immunity. Resisting pretty much means to fight or try to break away. Immunity would mean that it would not affect a person at all. For example, Sasuke's a Uchiha, but Itachi could still use Tsukijomy on him. I interpreted that a Uchiha has a much easier time with Sharingan and that's why they have a better chance of resisting it and not that a person couldn't resist it. It would be highly unlikely of course the easiest way to dodge it is not to look into their eyes.