AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-05-09, 16:02   Link #15241
ijuinkun

Yeah, but on the other hand, if you do win fights, then everybody thinks you're a bully who gets a charge out of kicking people around and "picking on" smaller people.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 16:08   Link #15242
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Yeah, but on the other hand, if you do win fights, then everybody thinks you're a bully who gets a charge out of kicking people around and "picking on" smaller people.
Which is exactly what Haruki is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's generally not what people think when they run into someone significantly taller than them. And there are some advantages to being bigger than the other guy in a fight (you've got more mass behind your hits, longer reach).
You are, however, slightly less agile. And Haruki isn't the most tactical fighter.

This is why, in a fair fight, despite the size difference, Kyon would probably win.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 16:10   Link #15243
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
That's generally not what people think when they run into someone significantly taller than them.
If someone's looking to pick a fight with someone to prove themselves, nine times out of ten they'll target the largest person they find.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 16:11   Link #15244
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
...excuse me, I need some new pants. I ROTFLOL'ed so hard I pissed them.

Quote:
Everybody thinks you're a bully
Seriously, you DO rememeber who we're talking about right?

Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 16:14   Link #15245
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
If someone's looking to pick a fight with someone to prove themselves, nine times out of ten they'll target the largest person they find.
And unlike in Tropeland, the bigger person will usually win, especially against people dumb enough to pick fights with them.

Just sayin'.
Old 2009-05-09, 16:19   Link #15246
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And unlike in Tropeland, the bigger person will usually win, especially against people dumb enough to pick fights with them.

Just sayin'.
The point of making Haruki so huge was to avoid people picking fights with him, not making sure he'd win.

Besides, Haruhi practically runs on tropes, so wouldn't Haruki generally lose those fights?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-05-09, 16:22   Link #15247
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
No. No, he really wouldn't. If he constantly lost fights, he wouldn't have the aggressive self-confidence and the mountain-sized ego he does, now would he?
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 16:22   Link #15248
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The point of making Haruki so huge was to avoid people picking fights with him, not making sure he'd win.
No, it was to avoid him being bullied for being a complete lunatic. Slightly different.

Quote:
Besides, Haruhi practically runs on tropes, so wouldn't Haruki generally lose those fights?
It runs on good tropes, not ones resulting from poor writing like the Worf Effect. *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
No. No, he really wouldn't. If he constantly lost fights, he wouldn't have the aggressive self-confidence and the mountain-sized ego he does, now would he?
Exactly, thank you. The only fights he should lose are one where he is legitimately overpowered. He shouldn't lose fights just to show how powerful someone else is.

That someone else should have no need to demonstrate how powerful they are.
Old 2009-05-09, 16:23   Link #15249
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Subverted trope then, got it
Old 2009-05-09, 16:26   Link #15250
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Subverted trope then, got it
Yeeaah, pretty much.

I never liked that trope myself. Logically, Wolverine should be one of the most powerful beings in the Marvelverse, not being blown up every damned issue to prove a point.

His only weakness should be Magneto.
Old 2009-05-09, 16:32   Link #15251
Aebliss
Story Master

Or Polaris, possibly. I mean, even if she isn't as powerful as Magneto, she is someone Wolverine considers a friend. If she hit him with a magnetic whammy, he'd be honour-bound to try and find out what's going on, rather than go berserk and cut her to ribbons right there and then.
Old 2009-05-09, 16:34   Link #15252
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
I never liked that trope myself. Logically, Wolverine should be one of the most powerful beings in the Marvelverse, not being blown up every damned issue to prove a point.

His only weakness should be Magneto.
Or, y'know, Omega Red... and the various people who are more or less similar to Wolverine... and Squirrel Girl, but she runs on Rule of Funny, so she doesn't count
Old 2009-05-09, 16:35   Link #15253
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Or Polaris, possibly. I mean, even if she isn't as powerful as Magneto, she is someone Wolverine considers a friend. If she hit him with a magnetic whammy, he'd be honour-bound to try and find out what's going on, rather than go berserk and cut her to ribbons right there and then.
I don't know who this is, but that's because I'm not exactly well-versed in Marvelverse canon. Not that I exactly care, either. >_>

Quote:
Or, y'know, Omega Red... and the various people who are more or less similar to Wolverine... and Squirrel Girl, but she runs on Rule of Funny, so she doesn't count
Mm, true, but, still.

It's not usually a good trope,
Old 2009-05-09, 16:38   Link #15254
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
I don't know who this is, but that's because I'm not exactly well-versed in Marvelverse canon.
Polaris is another mutant with the power of magnetism.
Old 2009-05-09, 16:38   Link #15255
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
I don't know who this is, but that's because I'm not exactly well-versed in Marvelverse canon. Not that I exactly care, either. >_>
X-woman with magnetic powers. *shrug*
Old 2009-05-09, 16:41   Link #15256
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just because you are techincally indestructible doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

Being the tallest does not make you the largest. Most tall people tend to be rather skinny and not always what one would consider tough at all. Sure you might tower over other people, but you don't have the body strength to really fight them if they have a more muscular build. Also the taller you are the more uncoordinated you can be (longer limbs, higher center of gravity). While this is not true for all cases, it does mean that just because you are tall, doesn't mean you will be strong, or not get bullied growing up.
Old 2009-05-09, 16:41   Link #15257
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Polaris is another mutant with the power of magnetism.
Quote:
X-woman with magnetic powers. *shrug*
I kind of assumed this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Being the tallest does not make you the largest. Most tall people tend to be rather skinny and not always what one would consider tough at all. Sure you might tower over other people, but you don't have the body strength to really fight them if they have a more muscular build. Also the taller you are the more uncoordinated you can be (longer limbs, higher center of gravity). While this is not true for all cases, it does mean that just because you are tall, doesn't mean you will be strong, or not get bullied growing up.
Biggest and Strongest. I said this already.

Haruki is very tall for an Asian guy and well-built. Think Kenji Harima from School Rumble. Or hell, Haruki Hanai.
Old 2009-05-09, 16:48   Link #15258
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
You are, however, slightly less agile. And Haruki isn't the most tactical fighter.
Emphasis on slightly. As long as you're not in the ridiculously tall range, bigger guys are actually capable of being VERY agile. EX:The average NFL linebacker is 6'2-6'3, 230 pounds and can do a 40yard dash in 4.6 seconds. Given the...athletic nature of the Suzumiya's it's quite possible that Haruki is quite a bit more agile than most people to.

Bassically lighting bruiser
Quote:
This is why, in a fair fight, despite the size difference, Kyon would probably win.
That I have a hard time seeing honestly.

I'm not sure Kyon has either the speed, strength, or instinct for brawling.

Quote:
I'm gonna use a quote I found on the David and Goliath page on TV tropes.
Quote:

"Sometimes Goliath just kicks the shit out of David."
I kind of doubt the majority of people who are so insecure with themselves they need to prove how tough they are by beating up other people are also going to possess the physical/martial skills to regularly get away with bullying anyone who wasn't on the lowest end of the pecking order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
While that might be the general case, it's not an absolute. Those Linebackers as mentioned before are better than most people in nearly every physical category.

Haruki's sorta like that.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 17:15   Link #15259
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
That I have a hard time seeing honestly.

I'm not sure Kyon has either the speed, strength, or instinct for brawling.
Go watch Melancholy IV again. Kyon dodges two knife attacks from someone who should be much, much faster than he is.

Hell, he chucks the chair at her too. Too bad Asakura is cheating.

And he's actually rather strong, in no small part thanks to all the heavy lifting Haruhi constantly has him do.

It's just that everyone and everything that Kyon ever goes up against is either a monster or superhuman.
Old 2009-05-09, 18:33   Link #15260
Jintor

He's the BadassNormal in the world full of HalfHumanHybrids!
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan