AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-04-06, 14:41   Link #81
Seazn
One of the few

Send a message via MSN to Seazn
It snowed quite a bit today here at London but the Sun came up and it all melted within an hour...
I personally like snow and cloudy days. I can't stand the Sun's heat >.<
Seazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 14:52   Link #82
black monster
i don't work for points

I like the cloudy weather you know when the clouds cover the sky.
black monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 22:24   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is one of the more bizarre pointless threads I've encountered.

Today we'll have light with patches of darkness. Later this evening we predict darkness with patches of light.
Old 2008-04-06, 22:30   Link #84
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I live in Phoenix, Arizona. We're getting to April, which is pretty much nearing the end of the good weather we have. March - April is the only good weather ever, since it is way too hot in the summer and way too cold in the winter. Maybe it's not as cold as the northeastern US, but the switch from 120 F to 32 F is so great that it's almost shocking.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 02:30   Link #85
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
Gah, It's unbelievably hot from where I am, compared to the relatively tame weather last month. The local radio said yesterday the temperature reached 40C, or past it. I don't know, it's fucking hot either way. For some reason I take longer naps during this kind of weather, and for some weirder reason I still sleep with a blanket despite everything.

The great irony here for me is that my joints feel much better in warm weather.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 03:17   Link #86
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
This is one of the more bizarre pointless threads I've encountered.
Ah but don't you know? Talking about the weather is a favourite past-time in the UK! When at loss about what to talk about, always talk about the weather. You can't go wrong with that topic!

At least, that was the case when I was studying there. You've got to hand it to the Brits - they make weather forecasts sound so exciting. I learned a lot about cold and hot fronts by just watching the weather news, so much so that I can make fairly accurate predictions of my own.

You also got to remember that where I come from, there's not much to talk about. It's just sun, and more sun, sprinkled with the occasional thunderstorm. Everything's hot and sticky, and that's just the night time.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 05:34   Link #87
X10A_Freedom

Weather in the UK's nice but very unpredictable! We had a rather "mild" December but had lots of snow in London late March/early April! Central London doesn't see much snow so this is quite surprising. Especially when the temperatures went up to 15c (yay for Spring?) the week before it dropped to 0 again and snow...
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 05:38   Link #88
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You also got to remember that where I come from, there's not much to talk about. It's just sun, and more sun, sprinkled with the occasional thunderstorm. Everything's hot and sticky, and that's just the night time.
Actually, there is quite a bit to talk about, since sometimes we bear the brunt of the occasional tropical thunderstorm or heat wave, or rainy spell that can last on-and-off for weeks on end.

But yeah, quite a bit of the time over here, it remains hot and humid...
Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 02:27   Link #89
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

april 9th - sunny all day, around 10 degrees

April 10th

Spoiler for 10th:

Spoiler for /....:

forecast for 11th - Sunny around 13 degrees...

crazy eh
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 03:06   Link #90
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
april 9th - sunny all day, around 10 degrees

April 10th

Spoiler for 10th:

Spoiler for /....:

forecast for 11th - Sunny around 13 degrees...

crazy eh
I sincerely hope this is degrees Celsius you're speaking about.
Old 2008-04-11, 08:26   Link #91
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Of course it's in celsius. When will the US start learning how to use the metric system like the rest of the world?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:01   Link #92
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Bah, the weather is turning more and more extreme in Hong Kong every year. Since 2001, winters were getting colder and longer, and summers longer and more intense, with little spring or autumn. It was below 18 till near the end of March, where in 2 days it went to around 25-29, and increasing. It's like summer from 8 years ago right now. Be this global warming?
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 11:27   Link #93
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Of course it's in celsius. When will the US start learning how to use the metric system like the rest of the world?
Actually, if you take physics or chemistry in college (in the US), you are forced to become familiar with the metric system. Of course you don't become fluent in it, but you're so aware to the point where you actually know what someone means by 5 liters or 10 degrees Celsius.
Old 2008-04-11, 12:51   Link #94
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
Bah, the weather is turning more and more extreme in Hong Kong every year. Since 2001, winters were getting colder and longer, and summers longer and more intense, with little spring or autumn. It was below 18 till near the end of March, where in 2 days it went to around 25-29, and increasing. It's like summer from 8 years ago right now. Be this global warming?
Global Warming
Old 2008-04-11, 15:33   Link #95
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
Global Warming
According to his profile he's 16, which means that he's been alive since ~1992 and probably didn't start to notice weather intricacies since around the time he mentioned that it began getting weird.

I was surprised that this thread didn't go the way of global warming discussion (there's a separate thread for that, by the way), but I didn't read all of the posts. Just remember that your own observations probably can't contribute to proving or disproving global warming (which is now seemingly called "climate change" because invariably someone always says "well it's colder for me this year/these past few years, so global warming is false" without realizing that while it's colder in their locale, the overall temperatures seem to be going up).
Old 2008-04-11, 15:45   Link #96
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
9th of July last year (Argentinian Independence Day) it snowed here in Buenos Aires, a city that at most gets -2 C during winter, and mostly due to a chill wind than to a real drop in temperature. It might have looked like a bad climate change omen, until you realize it had snowed quite regularly in spaces of 80 years.

It's raining now. And ironically enough, the Olympic Torch Rely is currently being held.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 15:49   Link #97
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

^ I like rain too, but not on a weekday because i get drenched before school. Although when its light rain and the sun is shining its so refreshing.

The weather is always unpredictable anyway..

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 16:07   Link #98
Ledgem
Love Yourself

When I lived in New York I loved the weather. Summer thunderstorms, summer rains, and the oppressive humidity gave way to a crisp, cool air of autumn that was occasionally littered with cold rain. Then came the winter with its clear skies, cold air, and snow (although more recently it feels like there's been more rain and less snow). Then there'd be spring, with the air slowly warming up, the light green of budding leaves and shoots everywhere, and light, warm rain.

When I moved over to California for university it was a rough adjustment. In comparison to New York, where the sky was always changing, clouds were a rarity here. It felt like being in a big box that was painted blue on the inside. When there were clouds they often came in the form of a monotone grey sky, devoid of features. Even as it turned to fall new flowers were blooming and the trees held their leaves. It was like an eternal summer. To me, it was like time had stopped. It rained in the winter, but it was infrequent and heavy when it did come. Enjoying it was difficult. The only difference in the seasons were the temperature ranges during the night and day, it seemed.

It's interesting because it makes you realize the impact of your childhood. To people growing up in a place like California, the weather in California has marked changes. Perhaps they're more sensitive to the sublte changes. Some of them found the idea of snow and such a bit bizarre - what was it like to live with it, and why would you want to? For me, each season was incredibly distinct. Perhaps more importantly, the seasons were linked to my perception of the movement of time. Another big jump would be to move down to the Southern Hemisphere, where WanderingKnight is. Having June, July, and August as your primary winter months when those of us in the Northern Hemisphere are used to December, January, and Feburary as the winter would be rather interesting as well...
Old 2008-04-11, 17:14   Link #99
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Having June, July, and August as your primary winter months when those of us in the Northern Hemisphere are used to December, January, and Feburary as the winter would be rather interesting as well...
Yeah, it's weird. At least our yearly school calendar makes more sense

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 19:46   Link #100
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
According to his profile he's 16, which means that he's been alive since ~1992 and probably didn't start to notice weather intricacies since around the time he mentioned that it began getting weird.

I was surprised that this thread didn't go the way of global warming discussion (there's a separate thread for that, by the way), but I didn't read all of the posts. Just remember that your own observations probably can't contribute to proving or disproving global warming (which is now seemingly called "climate change" because invariably someone always says "well it's colder for me this year/these past few years, so global warming is false" without realizing that while it's colder in their locale, the overall temperatures seem to be going up).
Actually I did not notice the weather change until 5 years ago, I think it was 03 or 04, there wasn't any snow during Christmas time in Alberta, Canada. That's when I noticed snow comes later and later every year... Ski resorts opened almost a month later than usual this year and still open right now, usually closes in middle of March...